Tried to open a Bank Account - Asked for letter from Immigration?

NewInPatts

According to this thread, Kasikorn are scammers too.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/738114-kasikorn-bank-wont-give-me-an-account-unless-i-buy-accident-cover/

The unethical, immoral, scamming Kasikorn staff are insisting farangs purchase expensive insurance, are demanding large deposits etc..

Clearly against Bank policy.

Horsefeathers. Just refuse it. I have a K-bank account. I didn't buy any insurance. And my initial deposit was less than a thousand baht. But I accept that they do sometimes try it on ...

For the 8956th time, just stand your ground (politely), maybe ask to talk to someone else or a supervisor or manager, and if/when you don't get what you want, keep walking until you get what you want. You just waste everybody's time (and it's actually a bit juvenile) when you post strictly anecdotal stories of what you encountered at one place and then seek to generalize about it.

You forgot to read that thread before you made the above silly comment.

I expect bank staff to be ethical. Call me crazy.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to this thread, Kasikorn are scammers too.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/738114-kasikorn-bank-wont-give-me-an-account-unless-i-buy-accident-cover/

The unethical, immoral, scamming Kasikorn staff are insisting farangs purchase expensive insurance, are demanding large deposits etc..

Clearly against Bank policy.

Horsefeathers. Just refuse it. I have a K-bank account. I didn't buy any insurance. And my initial deposit was less than a thousand baht. But I accept that they do sometimes try it on ...

For the 8956th time, just stand your ground (politely), maybe ask to talk to someone else or a supervisor or manager, and if/when you don't get what you want, keep walking until you get what you want. You just waste everybody's time (and it's actually a bit juvenile) when you post strictly anecdotal stories of what you encountered at one place and then seek to generalize about it.

You forgot to read that thread before you made the above silly comment.

I expect bank staff to be ethical. Call me crazy.

You're in Thailand. They all think they ARE being ethical. Besides - FOR THE 8957th TIME! It's NOT all of them. If you can't grasp the inconsistency of this place - whether we're talking about banks, immigration, RTP, hotels & restaurants, taxi drivers, street vendors, etc., etc., etc., etc., - you're going to have a very frustrating time in Thailand. It's the silly ones like you that stubbornly insist on the standards of consistency and fair play they bring with them. It's not silly to HAVE those standards personally; just silly to keep on expecting those standards uniformly here. Cry about it as much as you want; your fellow farangs will sympathize, but most Thais won't care if they notice at all.

What a lively discussion.

I think we need to work out the causes for the bank staff member acting in a certain way. There are some useful post on here, that have said, if a bank staff member refuses to open a bank account it may be because they simply cannot be bothered with the paperwork involved. Maybe the branch is about to close when you went in.

So, suffice to say, there is a discretion offered to bank staff (they can opt to do something or not). Someone had said in another post that this is a form of power. But I like to think of it as discretion. Yes, it can be useful or it can be abused, but in most cases its useful.

A rule may say, every customer has to wait in line to be served by the cashier, but I for one will be more than happy to allow an elderly person to be served promptly if they are unable to wait in line for long periods. So I would be glad for bank staff to exercise their discretion and serve the elderly customer first.

When a bank staff member says to a farang customer "we need a letter", I personally think they are using discretion, but they are attempting to appear as if they are applying a rule, because that is what the farang customer would expect. She could not say to the Farang, "oh!, I just don't feel like it now, because in a moment, I would need to complete x,y,z, before the branch closes for the day".

Yes, with the discretion there comes a certain element of power. Yes, it can be abused. Think about a sexist bank staff member who constantly turns away women without any basis. That's a very obvious example. But the discretion can be used in more subtle ways. A staff member attempting to sell an insurance product with a bank account is doing just that. You have to buy the insurance, if not you cannot open the bank account.

Most westerners are not used to this level of discretion at the hands of bank staff, officials, taxis. So become wound-up and exasperated. It just does not make any sense. Its like when you say to someone 2+2 = 4, and they say, no it's 5. There is also some "culture shock" at work here. Westerners are used to rules (mostly) been applied consistently, ethically, fairly across the board. In western countries we are immersed in these set of rules day-in-day out, so when we come to Thailand its quite a contrast.

I think westerners would do well to understand, the basis on how Thais Behave. I haven't been in Thailand for long, but happen to know that Thais have an idiom or a phrase that say "He's very rich, make him pay". So the bank staff member could be applying this socially acceptable Thai "rule" (social mores) in trying to sell the "rich foreigner" insurance. We don't know if she does this to Thais also, we just assume it's because we are foreign. Whether every Thai accepts this "rule" that's another story. In western societies, its generally acceptable to split the bill for a meal, or practice a round robin way (when buying drinks at a bar for example, one person buys a round of drinks, then the next person does the same for the whole group).

Yes, we cannot say the staff member trying to sell the insurance is wrong, inconsistent (for one she may be consistent in attempting to sell the insurance to all rich customers/farangs), below standards, because then you would be imposing what you regard as the good, the consistent, the fair, by your personal (and presumably western) standards. But if you provide the background to your story and say what is it about the behaviour that was unacceptable, we should (both Thais and non-thais) be able to judge if it was acceptable.

Its unacceptable to say, we are in Thailand, so just get used to the inconsistent, the unethical, the immoral. I think that leads to an "anything goes" attitude (from Thai person towards Foreigner) that is dangerous and could only lead to more and more intolerance.

As for most Thais not recognizing the western standards, consistency and fair play. The real question we should put to a Thai person is "was it acceptable behaviour by the bank staff member to try to sell this insurance"

Second question to the Farang is:

How do you feel the Thai's would respond.

Edited by meltingpot2015

I think we need to work out the causes for the bank staff member acting in a certain way. There are some useful post on here, that have said, if a bank staff member refuses to open a bank account it may be because they simply cannot be bothered with the paperwork involved. Maybe the branch is about to close when you went in.
So, suffice to say, there is a discretion offered to bank staff (they can opt to do something or not). Someone had said in another post that this is a form of power. But I like to think of it as discretion. Yes, it can be useful or it can be abused, but in most cases its useful.
A rule may say, every customer has to wait in line to be served by the cashier, but I for one will be more than happy to allow an elderly person to be served promptly if they are unable to wait in line for long periods. So I would be glad for bank staff to exercise their discretion and serve the elderly customer first.
When a bank staff member says to a farang customer "we need a letter", I personally think they are using discretion, but they are attempting to appear as if they are applying a rule, because that is what the farang customer would expect. She could not say to the Farang, "oh!, I just don't feel like it now, because in a moment, I would need to complete x,y,z, before the branch closes for the day".
Yes, with the discretion there comes a certain element of power. Yes, it can be abused. Think about a sexist bank staff member who constantly turns away women without any basis. That's a very obvious example. But the discretion can be used in more subtle ways. A staff member attempting to sell an insurance product with a bank account is doing just that. You have to buy the insurance, if not you cannot open the bank account.
Most westerners are not used to this level of discretion at the hands of bank staff, officials, taxis. So become wound-up and exasperated. It just does not make any sense. Its like when you say to someone 2+2 = 4, and they say, no it's 5. There is also some "culture shock" at work here. Westerners are used to rules (mostly) been applied consistently, ethically, fairly across the board. In western countries we are immersed in these set of rules day-in-day out, so when we come to Thailand its quite a contrast.
I think westerners would do well to understand, the basis on how Thais Behave. I haven't been in Thailand for long, but happen to know that Thais have an idiom or a phrase that say "He's very rich, make him pay". So the bank staff member could be applying this socially acceptable Thai "rule" (social mores) in trying to sell the "rich foreigner" insurance. We don't know if she does this to Thais also, we just assume it's because we are foreign. Whether every Thai accepts this "rule" that's another story. In western societies, its generally acceptable to split the bill for a meal, or practice a round robin way (when buying drinks at a bar for example, one person buys a round of drinks, then the next person does the same for the whole group).
Yes, we cannot say the staff member trying to sell the insurance is wrong, inconsistent (for one she may be consistent in attempting to sell the insurance to all rich customers/farangs), below standards, because then you would be imposing what you regard as the good, the consistent, the fair, by your personal (and presumably western) standards. But if you provide the background to your story and say what is it about the behaviour that was unacceptable, we should (both Thais and non-thais) be able to judge if it was acceptable.
Its unacceptable to say, we are in Thailand, so just get used to the inconsistent, the unethical, the immoral. I think that leads to an "anything goes" attitude (from Thai person towards Foreigner) that is dangerous and could only lead to more and more intolerance.
As for most Thais not recognizing the western standards, consistency and fair play. The real question we should put to a Thai person is "was it acceptable behaviour by the bank staff member to try to sell this insurance"

Points for word count. It's a waste of time arguing semantics: your quote, "He's very rich, make him pay", really says it all (except that we all know no Thai, most especially a hi-so, is going to have this shoved down his throat). The inescapable, indisputable bottom line still is, however - just keep trying until you meet with someone reasonable and succeed with opening an account.

Open an account, apply for a credit card or other types of credit anywhere else in the world and the banks will do the same thing. They might even ask you for proof of address (which what this thread is actually about) some of you people are lost in thailand....

Open an account, apply for a credit card or other types of credit anywhere else in the world and the banks will do the same thing. They might even ask you for proof of address (which what this thread is actually about) some of you people are lost in thailand....

Fantastic, good job gigglem.gif

@hawker9000:

Shall keep this short and sweet, As I have no intent on scoring points.

My understanding of your phrase "bottom line" is that you mean "fact".

My understanding of "indisputable" is the same as yours. My practice of evasion less so.

when someone comes on here and tells us what happened (in English) their target audience is fellow farangs, (or thais who can read English) so its redundant to say

but most Thais won't care if they notice at all

Are you saying that most Thai's (who are on this Forum) Do not care or notice at all.

Edited by meltingpot2015

@hawker9000:

just keep trying until you meet with someone reasonable

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You've hit the nail on the head. That's the problem most of us on here are facing. I must have gone to twenty branches before being successful. If what you say is true, the "reasonable" staff are few and far between.

Opening a bank account is an aspiration, maybe we will have more luck appealing to the bank staff's emotional side.

@hawker9000:

just keep trying until you meet with someone reasonable

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You've hit the nail on the head. That's the problem most of us on here are facing. I must have gone to twenty branches before being successful. If what you say is true, the "reasonable" staff are few and far between.

Opening a bank account is an aspiration, maybe we will have more luck appealing to the bank staff's emotional side.

I think more it is you don't read the threads about opening a bank account. Go to Bank of Bangkok one of the larger offices and open an account. That has only been said 963 times on Thai Visa. wai2.gif

Bangkok bank want a residency certificate. Dont bank with the others.

Bangkok bank want passport. I have four Bangkok bank accounts in four different cities. biggrin.png Not one asked me for residency certificate.

I'm curious, why would you need so many bank accounts in different cities? Is collecting bank accounts a hobby for you?

Try the Kasikorn branch in Jomtien, they are welcoming foreigners all the time. Also Kasikorn has the best online solution, easy to transfer money and pay bills.

I agree. That branch has very good service as do most Kasikorn branches.

Considering the Immigration office recommend that branch, it's no wonder they are foreigner friendly. It's always a pleasure to visit.

The one in Central is also outstanding, as are all the shopping mall branches.

I'm also find their Internet banking to be exceptional.

Try the Kasikorn branch in Jomtien, they are welcoming foreigners all the time. Also Kasikorn has the best online solution, easy to transfer money and pay bills.

Considering the Immigration office recommend that branch, it's no wonder they are foreigner friendly. It's always a pleasure to visit.

Yes they are but I was forced to get a 800 baht ATM (SME Card) rather than the cheaper 300 baht one last year. No hab other card, bit expensive but for the sake of their good internet banking I swallow that fee.

Yes they are but I was forced to get a 800 baht ATM (SME Card) rather than the cheaper 300 baht one last year. No hab other card, bit expensive but for the sake of their good internet banking I swallow that fee.

I was given a choice at the Jomtien branch when I went in to renew my ATM card a few months ago. I went with the more expensive one, but have no idea why as I can't remember the benefits. .. other than it looked nicer. biggrin.png

Do you remember the benefits?

Although well written, this is as close to a "post about nothing" as one could get.... or is it just an extreme case of overthinking an issue?

I'd say forget about all this and just go to a branch that is known to be foreigner-friendly (let's forget the meaningless "Farang" word as people come from all over the world). Problem solved. You'll never have to think twice about any of that .... Seriously, In the 10 years I've been here I've never had to think about any of that, with regard to banking here. Every single experience I've had with the Kasikorn bank has been positive, and I'm sure if you go to any area in Pattaya with high foreigner foot traffic, they'll be happy to open an account with the bare minimum of paperwork. If you don't want to try the Jomtien branch, try one in a shopping mall (Central, Big C Extra, Big C 2nd Road are good)... or the one on Soi Buakhao.

When I go into any Kasikorn branch I can see that they are extremely concerned about offering excellent customer service and go out of their way to provide it.... so I don't believe any discretionary behaviour on the part of the staff would be condoned by management. It doesn't make sense that a bank which goes out of their way to impress people would throw money away by refusing to open accounts for stupid reasons... their customer service just gets better year by year. They now have well dressed, pretty ladies to give you the tickets when you walk in.,. You don't even have to use the ticket machine yourself. At one branch, the one on Soi Buakhao, they even told me not to bother filling in a form (deposit slip).

I can't speak for the other banks though... but I'm going to stick with Kasikorn so I'm never going to find out.

I know one young Filipino lady who had 3 bank accounts in 3 different banks. I don't know why, but she never had any trouble opening them... and she never had much money to bank. Maybe she just liked collecting ATM cards.biggrin.png

Edited by tropo

Although well written, this is as close to a "post about nothing" as one could get.... or is it just an extreme case of overthinking an issue?

I'd say forget about all this and just go to a branch that is known to be foreigner-friendly (let's forget the meaningless "Farang" word as people come from all over the world). Problem solved. You'll never have to think twice about any of that .... Seriously, In the 10 years I've been here I've never had to think about any of that, with regard to banking here. Every single experience I've had with the Kasikorn bank has been positive, and I'm sure if you go to any area in Pattaya with high foreigner foot traffic, they'll be happy to open an account with the bare minimum of paperwork. If you don't want to try the Jomtien branch, try one in a shopping mall (Central, Big C Extra, Big C 2nd Road are good)... or the one on Soi Buakhao.

When I go into any Kasikorn branch I can see that they are extremely concerned about offering excellent customer service and go out of their way to provide it.... so I don't believe any discretionary behaviour on the part of the staff would be condoned by management. It doesn't make sense that a bank which goes out of their way to impress people would throw money away by refusing to open accounts for stupid reasons... their customer service just gets better year by year. They now have well dressed, pretty ladies to give you the tickets when you walk in.,. You don't even have to use the ticket machine yourself. At one branch, the one on Soi Buakhao, they even told me not to bother filling in a form (deposit slip).

I can't speak for the other banks though... but I'm going to stick with Kasikorn so I'm never going to find out.

I know one young Filipino lady who had 3 bank accounts in 3 different banks. I don't know why, but she never had any trouble opening them... and she never had much money to bank. Maybe she just liked collecting ATM cards.biggrin.png

I'm a Kasikorn depositor myself, but in all fairness, I think some of their branches have been guilty of the insurance thing, at least at times. In my case, it was simply offered to me, I said No Thank-you, and that was that. I know I've seen posts from time-to-time from individuals claiming it was presented to them as a requirement when attempting to set up a K-bank account

• 1 month later...

Again, no luck with the tourist visa.

They say work permit only.

I think I'm gonna quit.

No account for me here.

From Kasikorn website :

Required documents for account opening

For individuals

• 1. A copy of national ID card or other ID cards bearing your photo and issued by government authorities
  • 2. A copy of House Registration

-----

So you can still open a savings account, bring your passport and rental contract or if you own the condo , bring the blue book.

If the staff disagree, call Kasikorn customerservice , they speak excellent english and then hand the phone over to one of the staff. If you do that I can promise you a new account within minutes.

I think I'm gonna quit.

No account for me here.

Soi Buakhao, Bangkok Bank, right next to Big Open Space , I opened account,200,000 baht,Not a Problem with Tourist Visa in Pattaya, Go Now and quit moaning Edited by Nice Boyd

I think I'm gonna quit.

No account for me here.

Soi Buakhao, Bangkok Bank, right next to Big Open Space , I opened account,200,000 baht,Not a Problem with Tourist Visa in Pattaya, Go Now and quit moaning

Try krung thai on Thepprasit rd. No question asked. Just passport

Just bought a 2 million baht CD from Bang of Bangkok with passport only.

There you go, 3 verified places one can open a bank account. As the first poster said, stop the moaning and go to one of these places first and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Un substantiated Off topic post and quoted replies to it have been removed:

2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.