Tried to open a Bank Account - Asked for letter from Immigration?

NewInPatts

Went to central today and tried to open a new bank account. I have one with TMB already but wanted to open one with another branch.

ALL of them told me there is a new law and they require some letter from immigration. I asked them if they mean 'proof of residence' but they just smiled as NONE of them knew what letter exactly was needed.

I am planning to go to Jomtien Immigration tomorrow and ask about the letter in question, but does anyone know exactly what the banks need?

I am on a marriage visa and have a permanent address in thailand.

Thanks guys!

Edited by NewInPatts

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangkok bank want a residency certificate. Dont bank with the others.

Sorry I had an account with them they were rubbish
To be honest, they are all rubbish in Thailand...i have moved 3 times with Kasikorn, and 2 times with Bkk Bank, none of them have been any good. Bkk Bank didn't even know they have a Bkk Bank in London.

And I counter that with having accounts with them for nearly 30 years and they have been excellent. Never needed a residency certificate to open an account. But then I have a work permit. wink.png

And I counter that with having accounts with them for nearly 30 years and they have been excellent. Never needed a residency certificate to open an account. But then I have a work permit. wink.png

I to have had no issue with them,I've never had anything but visa exemptions or tourist visas,but the GF did come in there with me some 6 years ago when I opened said account.

Plus the novelty of foreigners in these parts gives them a chuckle I guess.

I opened a new account with Bangkok Bank last Friday , not my usual branch, all I was asked for was my passport no problems, likewise I have been with them for ten years albeit a different branch and never had a problem.

Yes TMB want a certificate of residency or work permit to open an account. This I was told was Head Office regulations.

I believe this is or was easy to get in Jomtien. But in Chaeng Wattana they say you cannot get an RC for opening a bank account. No such form exists. Solution is to apply for a RC to buy/sell a car or apply for a driving licence.

This RC was accepted by my TMB branch.

Of course you need a visa extension e.g. retirement,and probably proof of address i.e. a bill or rental contract to get it.

I have banked with Bangkok Bank Seacon Square for 20years with a savings account and a business account. Last month I tried to open a time deposit account as usual for my 800K and they first asked me if I was American as the don't want the hassle with reporting. I told them I was not and they said that is OK but I must provide a letter from my Embassy of proof of residence. I told them I had banked with them for 20years and that they had the proof of residence because they send me statements every month to my home address. I also told them that the Embassy cannot provide proof of residence without a letter from them giving proof of residence as these details are only known by them. In fact only your bank knows where you actually live, Immigration and your embassy only have your word for it, not proof.

In the end I called the Bank Manager over and she told me it was a new regulation which all the banks are supposed to follow, but that it was illogical as indeed the only the Bank for sure knows where I live. So after 30 minutes of debate, I got my Time Deposit Account with passport only (driving license no longer accepted).

The problem all started with America World Police's requirements for foreign banks to provide information on their countryman's financial dealings abroad.

That surprises me, I use BB and they are fine.

Perhaps you had a bad branch?

Yes, I have had an account with Bangkok Bank for over 15 years. No problems. Make regular deposits through their New York branch and it always comes though quickly and accurately. Everyone at my branch is helpful and pleasant to deal with. Opened the account back when I was here on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry without any issues. Get my annual manager's letter for renewal of my extension at immigrations without any hassle.

The passbook seems an easy way to keep a record of my transactions in one place & easily updated (and I imagine it's more efficient for most of their retail customers who may not readily access the Internet), I can transfer money locally using any ATM, get balance information weekly by SMS as well as detailed notice of foreign exchange deposits.

I guess some people attract problems with anything they try to do in Thailand. I wonder why.

Have had more hassles with my US bank over those same 15 years and that usual ended up with me sitting with the phone listening to canned music waiting in a phone queue for some overly cheerful, useless service person to speak to me ... although since my bank was taken over by Bank of America I will admit things have improved considerably.

I've opened accounts at Bangkok Bank and Siam Commercial. I needed the Residency Certificate at each one to open the initial account. After that all I've needed was my passport (because you literally have to give them a signed copy of your passport to do almost anything other than a simply withdrawal it seems).

I'm sure though that if I went to Kasikorn or TMB (or any other bank) I'd need another Residency Certificate to open an account with them. Nothing new, it's been like that for years.

Edited by Kerryd

re

Bangkok bank want passport. I have four Bangkok bank accounts in four different cities. biggrin.png Not one asked me for residency certificate.

i have six thai bank accounts and was never asked for a residency cetificate to open any of them :)

dave2

post-42592-0-56454700-1438048246_thumb.j

This subject is definitely a blast from the TV hit parade. 'Must be the 8999th time it's been posted. Everytime somebody gets turned down somewhere they want to fire it up again and generalize. Gives the lurkers a chance to slag the U.S., slag Thai banks, slag Thai bank employees, & complain about half a dozen other things. The whining and blaming have all been done to death. The news is that this isn't news. The perennial truth is that a farang's success in opening a bank account in Thailand will simply vary from one bank to another, one bank branch to another, and possibly one month to the next. TIT. There's no point trying to argue or persuade or understand what their issues really are - just keep walking until you find a branch that wants your business and will open an account with your passport (+ valid entry stamp, not necessarily a visa or work permit), some address (even a hotel address), and a phone no.. They exist. Persevere.

Edited by hawker9000

Had an account with the Bangkok bank for 15 years never had a problem except for the lousy interest rates which are common with all banks.Back then needed nothing but ID

Opened one for a friend recently at the BB,who deoesn't even live in the country, using my address and his Thai DL, but we did it with the currency manager and not a teller whose knowledge in most banks is limited.

Always open at a main branch not a small shopping centre one.get knocked back, try the next one.

If the employees couldn't even tell you why, then I'd say move on to another bank. We opened an account with a new back in Central Festival. Easily done. Asked if we could get the account balance verification letter for immigration done in Jomtien, to save us a trip into town. Yes, no problem.

Got to the branch in Jomtien, the answer was NO. Very rude. So, had wifey call Central Festival, they called the lady at the branch, 15 minutes of arguing. In the mean time, wifey called the HQ. They called the branch manager (who was out), he called the lady at the desk, and voila! Verification letter was done and we were off to immigration.

Banking here is absolutely hit and miss.

P.S. due to this, we closed the account and moved to another bank who's been fantastic to work with. At least at that branch! LOL

I am with a Bangkok Bank branch up country, I was not asked for a certificate of residency. and not

for my Kasikorn account either.

Bangkok bank want passport. I have four Bangkok bank accounts in four different cities. biggrin.png Not one asked me for residency certificate.

Same, I have Kasikorn Bank, Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank and only required to show my passport.

When I was a tourist I gave the banks the Hotel business card for address.

Later I had my TOT phone bill to show the bank and it was OK.

But all accounts were open more than 3 years ago. The first one in 1991 as a tourist.

Two passport pics. Copy of lease passport and photo copies as usual link below is for form hope this helps I got one then was easy to open a bank account

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/res_cert.pdf&ved=0CB8QFjABahUKEwjWlKnv7_zGAhWNCo4KHTi9D9s&usg=AFQjCNHB2B4k1SUCU7Q376Oqf8-Z1C5ftA&sig2=jl1H9kzTdIfXO6czc4CZLA

Takes about an hour is counter 9

Edited by Sutty

I have banked with Bangkok Bank Seacon Square for 20years with a savings account and a business account. Last month I tried to open a time deposit account as usual for my 800K and they first asked me if I was American as the don't want the hassle with reporting. I told them I was not and they said that is OK but I must provide a letter from my Embassy of proof of residence. I told them I had banked with them for 20years and that they had the proof of residence because they send me statements every month to my home address. I also told them that the Embassy cannot provide proof of residence without a letter from them giving proof of residence as these details are only known by them. In fact only your bank knows where you actually live, Immigration and your embassy only have your word for it, not proof.

In the end I called the Bank Manager over and she told me it was a new regulation which all the banks are supposed to follow, but that it was illogical as indeed the only the Bank for sure knows where I live. So after 30 minutes of debate, I got my Time Deposit Account with passport only (driving license no longer accepted).

The problem all started with America World Police's requirements for foreign banks to provide information on their countryman's financial dealings abroad.

Banks are like Immigration Offices, Amphurs etc, they make up their own rules.

I believe that something has changed recently, perhaps within the last month. Based upon the forum advice, I am trying with Bangkok Bank. I do not have a work permit as I am on a retirement visa. (First statement at several branches and also at a different bank, need work permit.). Alternatively, for Bangkok Bank, they want a letter from the embassy but can not comment on what it is to say or provide a sample. All questions result in same reply "letter from embassy". The question does not matter. I had prepared myself with a print out from their website on account opening required documentation. I had presented all that was stated therein to them to no avail. I plan to present a "letter from the embassy" when available soon if that does not work at this branch take the advice of the forum to move along. My point in posting is to note that Bangkok Bank is stating that there is a new requirement. I got the impression that it was new this month...