Thai politics: Suthep will focus on nation after he leaves the monkhood

webfact

POLITICS
Suthep will focus on nation after he leaves the monkhood

WASAMON AUDJARINT
THE NATION

30265360-01_big.jpg
Phra Suthep Phapakaro yesterday chairs the ninth group ordination at Suan Mokkhabalaram in Surat Thani

PHRA SUTHEP Thaugsuban leaves the monkhood today and will not return to the political arena.

SURAT THANI: -- Instead he will work as an "ordinary person" to support reforms at a person-to-person level, a spokesman of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), Akanat Promphan, said yesterday.

Phra Suthep, who is residing at Wat Suan Mokkh temple, is scheduled give up his saffron robes this morning at Wat Tri Thammaram, in Surat Thani's Muang district.

The former PDRC leader will then return to Bangkok and announce his plans for the future. Suthep has been in the monkhood for one year and 12 days, since July 15 last year.

He will speak to the press about his plans and political future, with members of the Great Mass of People's Foundation for Thailand's Reforms.

Phra Suthep denied he would take part in the yet-to-be-established Reform Movement Council. But he said he and the foundation would focus on reforming the country and he was willing to support the council's reform movement.

"I had earlier announced that after my political fight for the country, I would not accept any post," he said.

The former Democrat heavyweight led the 203-day anti-government protest against the government of Yingluck Shinawatra that finally led to the May 22 military coup.

Akanat said Suthep would continue a reform plan he had insisted upon since his leadership of the PDRC. As an ordinary person, Suthep would chair a Great Mass of People's Foundation for Thailand's Reforms, which was registered this year. Akanat would become the foundation's committee member and secretary.

The foundation's objective is to practise reform at a people-to-people level "as we think we don't have to wait for the government to do everything. We, as people, can do something about that by ourselves," he said.

Such efforts would be practised through carrying out projects, he added. The first typical one would be establishment of a vocational college at Koh Samui, Surat Thani. The curriculum is said to foster Buddhist morality, together with vocational knowledge, to students.

The foundation would raise funds through projects to help those affected from political rallies and uprisings, he said. Fundraising was also the only way the foundation would obtain its budget, Akanat added, as it was set to be non-profit organisation.

As of now, the foundation does not have any budget as it will not have practised anything concretely "until Phra Suthep becomes a chairman" of the foundation.

Akanat added the foundation was now independent. There hadn't been a plan to cooperate with any political or governmental agencies so far, including Suthep's former workplace, the Democrat Party, "but it'll be fine for us to join with anyone sharing the same goals and mindset".

He did not worry about possible reaction from the National Council for Peace and Order on Suthep's return, saying that entering and leaving the monkhood was one's own business.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Suthep-will-focus-on-nation-after-he-leaves-the-mo-30265360.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-28

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This man is a typical example of all the bad traits of thailand rolled into one .

For thailand to move forward and have reform he & the like minded need to be restrained from causing harm, lying & stealing .

Edited by BuckBee

Thanks to Suthep, I moved our core business assets to Singapore where they are safe and sound within a trusted business oriented environment and have spent the last year and a half creating value offshore. I did not re-employ the Thai people I sadly had to release during his protests. His legacy is one of destruction.

Suthep would chair a Great Mass of People's Foundation for Thailand's Reforms

someone will come up with a Greater Mass...and then the bickering will start...my Mass is Greater than your Mass...but my Mass was there first...I sue you for defamation and copying of my Mass...and then...

Instead he will work as an "ordinary person" to support reforms at a person-to-person level, a spokesman of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), Akanat Promphan, said yesterday.

as he did on the streets before ??? Good Night, LOS

One step out of line and the stated charter will see him bounced like a super ball.

It seems you don't really understand the true meaning of the new charter. Its aim (among others) is to allow reaching the same goal as Suthep did (oust an elected government), without needing the same type of disrupting protest and probably without needing a military coup.

Who do you think will represent the voice of the "people" stressed in the draft charter? Who do you think will file reform proposals, complaints, and present petitions to the various bodies stacked with appointed (mostly yellow-tainted) people such as the citizen assembly, the ethics committee, the Senate, etc... (the list is not yet definitive)?

Suthep will be very useful for that.

Every word a pearl of wisdom plus the complete and utter truth. rolleyes.gif

Will he take a trip up into the mountains and bring back some stone tablets? Yes he is a real nation bender. It disturbs me that it states that he is going to "focus" on the nation. He could again become a SBall magnet like in the past. He has not outlived his usefulness quite yet. He is definitely still a tool in someones arsenal. Welcome back Herr Suthep.

Edited by elgordo38

Suthep is back to earthly life

7-28-2015-12-18-37-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

SURAT THANI: -- Phra Suthep Paphakaro, or Suthep Thaugsuban, left monkhood early this morning at Wat Tritham-aram in Muang district of Surat Thani province.

The brief ceremony also saw his brother Phra Shane Arpatharo leaving monkhood at same time.

The former leader of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) wore blue shirt with emblem of the national flag on the chest, the symbol which the PDRC activists used during their anti-government movements since 2013-2014.

Suthep said he would head a mass charity foundation for national reform which he said would have no connection with the Democrat party.

He also supported cabinet reshuffle saying it was necessary after having in the work for a year.

He also said it was a good sign if there was no politician joining the new cabinet.

He planned to hold a merit making at Wat Tan Namlai at Suan Mokklaram in Surat Thani and give a press interview on the same day.

Suthep was ordained at Wat Thasai in Kanchanadit district of Surat Thani on July 15, 2014.

He earlier said his foundation’s planned activities include the setting up of a first vocational college at Koh Samui and setting up villages for the elderly initially in Surat Thani province.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/suthep-is-back-to-earthly-life

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-28

Suthep must seek permission to hold press conference

28-7-2558-12-18-18-wpcf_728x405.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The military made it clear to Suthep Thaugsuban that he needs to seek permission from military authorities before holding a press conference.

Deputy secretary general of the National Council for Peace and Order Gen Chatchalerm Chalermsuk, also army chief-of-staff, was commenting on a press conference Suthep will hold on July 3O after a merit making ceremony in Surat Thani.

He said he has not yet seen any application for the permission but would ask local authorities about it.

But he made clear that Suthep needs to seek permission on what issue he was going to say as the conference is risked to shift to political issue.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/suthep-must-seek-permission-to-hold-press-conference

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-28

Unless Suthep had a life changing revelation, which I doubt, his involvement in nation building will be in his own self interest, like everything else he has done in his lifetime. The only thing I give him credit for was the courage he displayed while the PDRC were under fire. Like him or not, and I don't, walking the streets and standing on the stage every day exhibited the kind of guts that Thaksin would never understand.

Unless Suthep had a life changing revelation, which I doubt, his involvement in nation building will be in his own self interest, like everything else he has done in his lifetime. The only thing I give him credit for was the courage he displayed while the PDRC were under fire. Like him or not, and I don't, walking the streets and standing on the stage every day exhibited the kind of guts that Thaksin would never understand.

Rabble rousers do seem to have a disregard for their own safety. The rewards make the risks worthwhile. Edited by jesimps

when I read all this TVF members anti-Suthep ranting - I respect him even more. a person who is hated by so man of bitter farang sugar daddies should be really great...

Yeah you re right to respect him: it is not like he is accused of palm oil market manipulation, land stealing and fraudulent selling in the south, that even his associated think and told many time he is a corrupted politician and of course that nobody knows what happened with all the "donations" made by his supporters....

when I read all this TVF members anti-Suthep ranting - I respect him even more. a person who is hated by so man of bitter farang sugar daddies should be really great...

Yeah you re right to respect him: it is not like he is accused of palm oil market manipulation, land stealing and fraudulent selling in the south, that even his associated think and told many time he is a corrupted politician and of course that nobody knows what happened with all the "donations" made by his supporters....

"palm oil market manipulation" is not proven, and about distribution of land in Phuket province - nobody is perfect, but at least he is an independent politician and not a Western marionette. He is fighting for his country - not for white misters in pith helmets.

that's why he is so hated by people like you.

It's unbelievable to see that this criminal is not in jail for almost pulling this Thailand into civil war. Clearly shows the level of corruption and hypocrisy in this country. My, oh my....

why I never seen you writing the same about red shirt leaders and their master?

It's unbelievable to see that this criminal is not in jail for almost pulling this Thailand into civil war. Clearly shows the level of corruption and hypocrisy in this country. My, oh my....

why I never seen you writing the same about red shirt leaders and their master?

Because this thread is about Suthep and because I am intelligent enough to understand forum rules and what "off topic" means.