New trend of young, educated Thai women with farang husbands emerges: researcher

webfact

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So does this mean that farangs will no longer be getting fleeced by the cunning Thai female?

But seriously, the only question I would have is why would a young, educated, good-looking, and successful farang guy be searching for a wife in Thailand? Aren't there any young, attractive, and educated farang women in the west anymore?

Farang women usually (with a few exceptions) run out of shape at the age of 35 or after they married.

I know plenty of exceptions to that sweeping bit of nonsense.

Most of them wouldn't go near the typical kind of guy that age who ends up in Thailand though.

What? Are you trying to out stereotype each other?

How could that be, when the number of Farang has dropped so drastically recently! Now the country is full of Chinese and Russians. I was on Walking Street in Pattaya last night. Thopusands of Chinese all in tour groups passed by my seat . ..... in 15 minutes I only saw 5 farang go by

Is that a problem?

Also how do you tell a russian apart from a farang?

On 5 July, The farang husband nirvana phenomenon in social media: Reproduction of the Motherland norm in international policy implementation, a paper by Supichaya Promboon, an undergraduate in the Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies Programme (WGSS) summer course, was presented at Thammasat Universitys Thaprachan campus. The paper will be published in the WGSS academic journal in August along with other research papers.

Will this paper be published in Thai or in English? If in English, I would like to see a copy of it and would be interested in particular in the bibliography.

This issue is pretty silly isn't it ?

Let's get real here. A man from England will be in Thailand, he's 55 years old, and has one or two ex-wives back home. Now, he's not going to get a girl-friend who is 33 in England, so, simple, he's in Thailand, and he can get a girl-friend who is 33 a lot easier than back home.

What about younger men who get a Thai girlfriend ? Okay, if you are male and 35 years old, and you try and go out with a Thai girl who is 25, and this is back home in England or Australia. Well, if she was raised in England/Australia, well, your chances of going out with her are about the same as trying to go out with any other girl in England/Australia. Also, you will notice that Thai girls (and all the other coloured girls raised in England) behave almost the same as all the other girls. It's not really the case that it's easier to go on a date with somebody coloured rather than 'white'.

What if you are 35 years old, you're in Thailand, and you try and go out with a Thai girl is 25 ? We've got to get real here. The lady might speak reasonable English, but her culture and thinking is not going to be the same as yours. She's unlikely to be from a rich family, and that means it does boil down to you financially supporting her. If you don't, well, it will end in tears.

And let's just say your Thai girlfriend is from a rich family, unlikely, but it might happen. In that case, it's likely you're going to have to buy all sorts of status symbols and expensive stuff to keep her. She won't want you in the first place unless she thinks you've got money. And once you're with her, well, it will cost you money to support her.

I'm sorry, but in all honesty, why get a Thai girlfriend if you can get one back home ? If you're in Thailand for work, because the job in Bangkok pays more than the job in London, fine, you're going to stay for a few years, fine, get a Thai girlfriend whilst you're in Thailand. But do remember, the extra problems involved in such relationships.

I believe that A grade Thai blokes marry A grade Thai girls. But the A grade girls are not always geniuses, they however come from the correct families and have the right looks. I cant remember seeing or knowing any foreigner marrying an A grade Thai girl. That leaves us with the lower graded girls, thats devided between the rest of the Thai guys and the foreigners.

I'm really curious as to what you mean by A grade. What makes an A grade Thai girl?

Perhaps one of these

A/ Dolly bird Hiso newish money, white skin (cream), seen at launch parties, dines with girlfriends in Thong Lor/Ekamai, drives a new Mercedes C class paid for by daddy

B/ Good looking professional, natural skin colour, Uni grad trainee interior designer perhaps, old money wealthy family, hates Benz's because white face Hiso drive them

I currently have three on the go. One has a masters, two have BA's, from decent international programs. To be honest, it's strange to see Western men shack up with partners educated to the level of a Western 10 yr old and communicate using toddler-talk.

But then, the World is strange.

coffee1.gif

So instead of talking toddler talk, he has three well-educated women "on the go" (ready in reserve at a moment's notice) who he can talk to using correct grammar, but the MENTALITY is akin to a teenager who has just learned that you can use women in a succession and feel like a real man who is akin to a pimp, with his women in tow waiting for him to call him. I am assuming that a grown man is capable of having a deep, "real" relationship with a woman where he can not only talk to a woman, but actually not reduce her to being a revolving door sex object.

I currently have three on the go. One has a masters, two have BA's, from decent international programs. To be honest, it's strange to see Western men shack up with partners educated to the level of a Western 10 yr old and communicate using toddler-talk.

coffee1.gif

This is in response to "D Lang", but because I have tried and attempted to post my response using the "quote" function, it won't post for some reason so I'm going to try this route of response.

D Lang, you wrote, "I currently have three on the go. One has a masters, two have BA's, from decent international programs. To be honest, it's strange to see Western men shack up with partners educated to the level of a Western 10 yr old and communicate using toddler-talk.

But then, the World is strange."

and my response is:

So instead of talking toddler talk, he has three well-educated women "on the go" (ready in reserve at a moment's notice) who he can talk to using correct grammar, but the MENTALITY is akin to a teenager who has just learned that you can use women in a succession and feel like a real man who is akin to a pimp, with his women in tow waiting for him to call him. I am assuming that a grown man is capable of having a deep, "real" relationship with a woman where he can not only talk to a woman, but actually not reduce her to being a revolving door sex object.

coffee1.gif

On 5 July, The farang husband nirvana phenomenon in social media: Reproduction of the Motherland norm in international policy implementation, a paper by Supichaya Promboon, an undergraduate in the Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies Programme (WGSS) summer course, was presented at Thammasat Universitys Thaprachan campus. The paper will be published in the WGSS academic journal in August along with other research papers.

Will this paper be published in Thai or in English? If in English, I would like to see a copy of it and would be interested in particular in the bibliography.

For toilet paper? It's up with,, 'issan​ wives not Thai because they celebrate Christmas, and eat pizza,,' from 15 years ago in the nation

coffee1.gif

And you sound like you are just a pleasure to be with. Those three women are so lucky to have you. bah.gif (heavy sarc for this one)

My apologies, I din't mean to imply that they are your friends, I was just trying to state that there are many men,both young and old here in Thailand , who are unaware, or are in denial of their partners previous activities.

It sounded rather more like you want to imply that all Thai women are prostitutes - even when we think they aren't.

Which is pretty much the kind of thing I expect to read here, sadly.

not all, just most of the ones prepared to sleep with foreigners

which are a small percentage

its only you that expands that to all thai women

as far as i can see, NTB is entirely correct

PDaz and HooHaa have hit the nail on the head!

What a really cynical lot of replies - some of you should be ashamed of yourselves/

I agree that the research is flawed, and as a Medic, would you want it to employ double blind protocols?!!!

However, the trend that has been identified, is actually correct in essence, and will continue in this direction, until attitudes with SOME of Thai males changes! The initial stigma will be overcome

more and more readily as middle class Thais have their horizons broadened and see the world for what it is !

How could that be, when the number of Farang has dropped so drastically recently! Now the country is full of Chinese and Russians. I was on Walking Street in Pattaya last night. Thopusands of Chinese all in tour groups passed by my seat . ..... in 15 minutes I only saw 5 farang go by

Aren't you a bit off topic? You must be talking about the new Thai standard for "quality tourists"

,Jeeeessssss. Took me an hour to read through the comments.

One thing is sure. WE ALL LOVE THAI LADIES.

An, ohhh man, do I love mine. And we are a young couple.

When (after 2 years) we "got togetherwub.png " in 2004:

She 24/ Isaan/ Matayom dropout/super-poor/single mum of an 8 year old girl (Thai man left when the belly grew, and I'm thankful 4 that)/having 101 jobs from dishwashing to freelancing in high-heels/looking hotblink.png /caracter:strict,honest,hot/with clear (down to earth)expectations in life

Me 26/Austrian/college dropout/mega-poor(no parents)/end up in Thailand after world tour gone wrong/101 jobs (no freelancing, just little)/very hondesome cassanova/living on day-to-day basis

Now. Married since 09/our son is getting 7 soon/our(her)daughter 17 attending an educ. in IT/lang/house/fat-ass pick up/bikes/occasional quarrels followed by hot s..whistling.gif

DAMN....I love my girl...and I know she feels the same. Because when we married I barely managed to afford all the paperwork, and we slept in the dark. I could afford the electric bill. Till today we both laugh tears when we speak of it.

Young Thai woman knowing what she wants? Rich/poor/educated or not.

Best thing that ever happened to me.

Night fellows...

Nice story...although you and your lady don't exactly fit the description that the researcher is trying promote.

Let's get real here. A man from England will be in Thailand, he's 55 years old, and has one or two ex-wives back home. Now, he's not going to get a girl-friend who is 33 in England, so, simple, he's in Thailand, and he can get a girl-friend who is 33 a lot easier than back home.

What about younger men who get a Thai girlfriend ? Okay, if you are male and 35 years old, and you try and go out with a Thai girl who is 25, and this is back home in England or Australia. Well, if she was raised in England/Australia, well, your chances of going out with her are about the same as trying to go out with any other girl in England/Australia. Also, you will notice that Thai girls (and all the other coloured girls raised in England) behave almost the same as all the other girls. It's not really the case that it's easier to go on a date with somebody coloured rather than 'white'.

What if you are 35 years old, you're in Thailand, and you try and go out with a Thai girl is 25 ? We've got to get real here. The lady might speak reasonable English, but her culture and thinking is not going to be the same as yours. She's unlikely to be from a rich family, and that means it does boil down to you financially supporting her. If you don't, well, it will end in tears.

And let's just say your Thai girlfriend is from a rich family, unlikely, but it might happen. In that case, it's likely you're going to have to buy all sorts of status symbols and expensive stuff to keep her. She won't want you in the first place unless she thinks you've got money. And once you're with her, well, it will cost you money to support her.

I'm sorry, but in all honesty, why get a Thai girlfriend if you can get one back home ? If you're in Thailand for work, because the job in Bangkok pays more than the job in London, fine, you're going to stay for a few years, fine, get a Thai girlfriend whilst you're in Thailand. But do remember, the extra problems involved in such relationships.

Fact is.....there are about 50 different poor countries around the world where a white guy could go to and live there and attract the interest of the local women while marrying one on them half his age....if he wanted.

Philippines, Indonesia, China, Vietnam , Laos, Cambodia, Sarawak, Malaysia, Mexico, Brazil and any of the Latin American countries, India and Pakistan and nearly all of the African countries.

Point is, many white guys are living in Thailand while they are attracted to the Thai women while a growing percent of Thai Women are attracted to white guys for any number of reasons.

There is no trend occurring...just an increase in the numbers while Thai women ( a percent of them ) have been attracted to white western males for as long as white western males have been coming to Thailand.

What is changing is the attitude of the Thai Women while many of them can make a choice concerning their attractions to foreigner men or only Thai men.

The over whelming majority of Thai women never do and never will come in contact with white foreigners while their world and their realm will always be social interaction with Thai boys and Thai men.

That is slowly changing with the internet being one of the main factors while some Thai women ( not that many really ) wish to meet white foreign men and make their acquaintance and go with the flow ..so to speak.

Of course in the big cities such as Bangkok and anywhere there are all the more white guys, then the local women will be seeing and looking at foreigners and or often meeting them and many will be attracted as they like what they see....because we are different looking..... while we have features that Thai women find attractive in a man...not all of the white foreigners ...but more than enough white men are considered "Velly Han-some" while all the more Thai women are openly attracted to white foreigner men as Thailand is all the more progressive and liberal than ever before....so why not...is what all the more Thai women are thinking...so why not a foreigner man...Tall, blue eyes, fair skin and athletic bodies, facial features that are considered very handsome as compared to Thai men.

Of course most of the White guys that come here do not really fir that description...per say...but many do ...so the Thai women do see them and often their imaginations run away with them...same as all women when they think of a handsome man and what is considered handsome....while many white men who do come here fit the description exactly.

Even if the man is not movie star quality the Thai women still find the white skinned foreigner men attractive in several ways....at least visually and specifically the facial features ..as we are different looking and different is always interesting while a Thai women's curiosity about white foreign men is another factor to be considered .

Many reasons while some Thai women will always be attracted to foreigner men more so than the local Thai men.

Cheers

Aren't you a bit off topic? You must be talking about the new Thai standard for "quality tourists"

He better be careful, as some of the nasty posters here will label him as someone who looks at life thru "yellow tinted" glasses.

I know, it happened to me, several times, on numerous occasions, once or twice......................................biggrin.png

" “Before I conducted this research, I thought that Thai women marry white men from economic necessity, but after I studied the situation, I changed my mind,” said Supichaya, who studied the trend through match-making websites, targeting Thai women and white men. "

I hope her research included more than the above. Perhaps it was but was not reported in this article - quite possible with the very poor state of Thai reporting and journalism.

If it didn't include one on one interviews and focus group interviews and cross group discussions then by most university standards it wouldn't pass.

As a different angle, within the last 5 years or so i've had maybe 10 to 15 Thai female MBA students ask me how they could meet nice farang men, their own age. In most cases going to bars etc., not within their scope of activities at all.

In 99% of these cases the Thai ladies speak advanced English, very pleasant, like to discuss more wordly things, pretty much open to listen and learn, want to politely express their own thoughts. Not the 'up to you' approach.

At one of my Unis here in Bangkok there are currently 2 young Thai men, MBA students, seriously dating female MBA exchange students from Europe (one from Germany, one from England). Money is not a drawcard in either direction. Both of the Thai men come from comfortable, not rich, families and have good employment

In the last 5 years I've been to 2 such weddings. In both cases Thai lady and western man.

In most of the above cases the Thai parents are initially concerned but after a few meetings with the foreign partner they are quite happy. In one case of marriage the Thai parents and the western parents have become close friends and now visit each other about twice per year.

This is why The Siam Society is so successful as it offers the chance to travel, learn Thai culture and meet the opposite sex of a higher quality

I'm quite agree with you. I'm 23 Thai woman marriage to my foreign husband 43 years old. I'm well educated a middle class Thai woman. And lol i think I'm good looking to Asian man too cuz I have fair skin and big doe eyes.

Well, why do I marriage with my husband. Cuz when I fall in love with him he is very hand some I thought he was just few years older than me with all those abs and very youthful face,No wrinkle.

Ok my point is out there really have people really falling in love with each other. So they act first then solve problem about their different later.

Maybe it'll not work or work. Who know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a surprising trend, since only a few months ago it was in the news that more middle class Thai women are remaining single.

this information reflects what was written some time ago about the Singapore middle class women who want to be equal partners in a relationship but they are not accepted as such by many "kings of creation"

They don't say whether the farangs are old, fat and bald as per usual, or young hunky men.

They did, try reading the article again.

Instead of old rich men, they prefer young and educated men and their economic background matches their education.

Quite right. I missed that.

Well there are not many young hunky farang men in LOS that would be wanting to be tied down when they can have all the sex they can handle without being committed ( pun intended ), so I would say there aren't going to be that many marriages in the OP's category.

Fact is.....there are about 50 different poor countries around the world where a white guy could go to and live there and attract the interest of the local women while marrying one on them half his age....if he wanted.

Philippines, Indonesia, China, Vietnam , Laos, Cambodia, Sarawak, Malaysia, Mexico, Brazil and any of the Latin American countries, India and Pakistan and nearly all of the African countries.

Point is, many white guys are living in Thailand while they are attracted to the Thai women while a growing percent of Thai Women are attracted to white guys for any number of reasons.

There is no trend occurring...just an increase in the numbers while Thai women ( a percent of them ) have been attracted to white western males for as long as white western males have been coming to Thailand.

What is changing is the attitude of the Thai Women while many of them can make a choice concerning their attractions to foreigner men or only Thai men.

The over whelming majority of Thai women never do and never will come in contact with white foreigners while their world and their realm will always be social interaction with Thai boys and Thai men.

That is slowly changing with the internet being one of the main factors while some Thai women ( not that many really ) wish to meet white foreign men and make their acquaintance and go with the flow ..so to speak.

Of course in the big cities such as Bangkok and anywhere there are all the more white guys, then the local women will be seeing and looking at foreigners and or often meeting them and many will be attracted as they like what they see....because we are different looking..... while we have features that Thai women find attractive in a man...not all of the white foreigners ...but more than enough white men are considered "Velly Han-some" while all the more Thai women are openly attracted to white foreigner men as Thailand is all the more progressive and liberal than ever before....so why not...is what all the more Thai women are thinking...so why not a foreigner man...Tall, blue eyes, fair skin and athletic bodies, facial features that are considered very handsome as compared to Thai men.

Of course most of the White guys that come here do not really fir that description...per say...but many do ...so the Thai women do see them and often their imaginations run away with them...same as all women when they think of a handsome man and what is considered handsome....while many white men who do come here fit the description exactly.

Even if the man is not movie star quality the Thai women still find the white skinned foreigner men attractive in several ways....at least visually and specifically the facial features ..as we are different looking and different is always interesting while a Thai women's curiosity about white foreign men is another factor to be considered .

Many reasons while some Thai women will always be attracted to foreigner men more so than the local Thai men.

Cheers

While it's fine to be attracted to a good looking male, any woman that marries a man simply because of his looks has to be barking.

I don't think anybody marry a man or girls just because of looks

But that's the start

The attraction

It's in our gene to attract to good looking people because it presents that they are heathy and no disease

Then they will try to know each other. Are they matched or not blah blah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife will like this....She doesn't like Thai men and her hobbie is matchmaking friends.....8 married already in just 2 years, and more 8 in the way... one of them with an US millionaire..... One of these days she will start recycling old farangs and I will be the first one to go.

Ohhhh...welll. She is not just a lot younger and very beautiful...she is smart too!

Must have taken 10 years of research to inform us farangs what we have already known. And it's not just white men they have meaningful relations with. But the majority, of hi-so girls, are fixated and obsessed with white. That's evident by their shunning of the sun and the millions spent by Thai women on whitening creams and sunblock. They see that white baby in their dreams, when they see a white farang. Most of the hi-so girls I have dated have told me their ex Thai boyfriends helped them a bit financially, whether he was good or not. I'm sure most will look for the farang to help the same or more. Like a old Thai man once told me. You can't always expect to get free noodles from a woman when there are people who will pay for them noodles.

Archived