New trend of young, educated Thai women with farang husbands emerges: researcher

webfact

My Thai wife was doing fine before she met me, and she would do fine if I left. We met and married for love, not economic gain. Do we both do better together? Absolutely! However, our relationship is based on mutual co-operation and sharing of burdens economic and otherwise, just the way ANY marriage relationship should be based. We live on an increasingly smaller planet and because of that, our relationships are changing as well. Traditionalists might as well get used to it. It is the wave of the future.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all about money,

I'm sure when My wife met Me here in London, if I were stacking shelves at the local supermarket & lived in a bedsit, it wouldn't have gone very far.

It matters little that She's Thai, woman world wide want financial security, the financial crash here a few years back, saw long term seemingly stable marriages go tits up very quickly once the money stopped coming in.

A survey carried out here in the UK a good few years back, said the average women under 30, wanted a Tall dark hansom man, living with his own 3 bed semi, driving a BMW or Mercedes, minimum earnings of £50,000, way above the common man in the UK.

It's life the world over, for sure the bar girls, mostly married to have a better life for themselves & their family's, but lets not think for one minute a middle class Thai girls going to Marry a farang that stack shelves back in his native country.

This issue is pretty silly isn't it ?

Let's get real here. A man from England will be in Thailand, he's 55 years old, and has one or two ex-wives back home. Now, he's not going to get a girl-friend who is 33 in England, so, simple, he's in Thailand, and he can get a girl-friend who is 33 a lot easier than back home.

What about younger men who get a Thai girlfriend ? Okay, if you are male and 35 years old, and you try and go out with a Thai girl who is 25, and this is back home in England or Australia. Well, if she was raised in England/Australia, well, your chances of going out with her are about the same as trying to go out with any other girl in England/Australia. Also, you will notice that Thai girls (and all the other coloured girls raised in England) behave almost the same as all the other girls. It's not really the case that it's easier to go on a date with somebody coloured rather than 'white'.

What if you are 35 years old, you're in Thailand, and you try and go out with a Thai girl is 25 ? We've got to get real here. The lady might speak reasonable English, but her culture and thinking is not going to be the same as yours. She's unlikely to be from a rich family, and that means it does boil down to you financially supporting her. If you don't, well, it will end in tears.

And let's just say your Thai girlfriend is from a rich family, unlikely, but it might happen. In that case, it's likely you're going to have to buy all sorts of status symbols and expensive stuff to keep her. She won't want you in the first place unless she thinks you've got money. And once you're with her, well, it will cost you money to support her.

I'm sorry, but in all honesty, why get a Thai girlfriend if you can get one back home ? If you're in Thailand for work, because the job in Bangkok pays more than the job in London, fine, you're going to stay for a few years, fine, get a Thai girlfriend whilst you're in Thailand. But do remember, the extra problems involved in such relationships.

Fact is.....there are about 50 different poor countries around the world where a white guy could go to and live there and attract the interest of the local women while marrying one on them half his age....if he wanted.

Philippines, Indonesia, China, Vietnam , Laos, Cambodia, Sarawak, Malaysia, Mexico, Brazil and any of the Latin American countries, India and Pakistan and nearly all of the African countries.

Point is, many white guys are living in Thailand while they are attracted to the Thai women while a growing percent of Thai Women are attracted to white guys for any number of reasons.

There is no trend occurring...just an increase in the numbers while Thai women ( a percent of them ) have been attracted to white western males for as long as white western males have been coming to Thailand.

What is changing is the attitude of the Thai Women while many of them can make a choice concerning their attractions to foreigner men or only Thai men.

The over whelming majority of Thai women never do and never will come in contact with white foreigners while their world and their realm will always be social interaction with Thai boys and Thai men.

That is slowly changing with the internet being one of the main factors while some Thai women ( not that many really ) wish to meet white foreign men and make their acquaintance and go with the flow ..so to speak.

Of course in the big cities such as Bangkok and anywhere there are all the more white guys, then the local women will be seeing and looking at foreigners and or often meeting them and many will be attracted as they like what they see....because we are different looking..... while we have features that Thai women find attractive in a man...not all of the white foreigners ...but more than enough white men are considered "Velly Han-some" while all the more Thai women are openly attracted to white foreigner men as Thailand is all the more progressive and liberal than ever before....so why not...is what all the more Thai women are thinking...so why not a foreigner man...Tall, blue eyes, fair skin and athletic bodies, facial features that are considered very handsome as compared to Thai men.

Of course most of the White guys that come here do not really fir that description...per say...but many do ...so the Thai women do see them and often their imaginations run away with them...same as all women when they think of a handsome man and what is considered handsome....while many white men who do come here fit the description exactly.

Even if the man is not movie star quality the Thai women still find the white skinned foreigner men attractive in several ways....at least visually and specifically the facial features ..as we are different looking and different is always interesting while a Thai women's curiosity about white foreign men is another factor to be considered .

Many reasons while some Thai women will always be attracted to foreigner men more so than the local Thai men.

Cheers

While it's fine to be attracted to a good looking male, any woman that marries a man simply because of his looks has to be barking.

No...not like that....it always starts off as visual attraction as how else can it be until the woman befriends the white foreigner man or the white foreigner man befriends the Thai woman.

Either way she will soon come to learn and understand that the white foreigner man is different in many ways and different thinking and often enough comes to admire the man not for his looks rather the way of thinking and conduct as compared to what they are used to or perceive the local men to be like...often from experiences that are, all too often, negative.

Meantime many Thai women meet foreigner men to learn that in many aspects of their conduct the white foreigner men are all too often the same or similar ...especially when it comes to womanizing and the amount of drinking each man likes to do and how much BS they subject a women to.

If that be the case then they realize they are not really any better off with a White foreigner guy and especially one without money or the means to earn money as many Thai women will put up with a whole lot of upsetting and frustrating male conduct regardless of whether it is a Thai male or a white foreigner male.

Cheers

A Farang at the age of 55 with one or two ex-wives at home will hardly get a girlfriend anywhere.

The new trend to marry young Farangs may only last as long as there are no divorces. As soon as kids are there, the question where to raise them will come up.

It's all not that easy in tge long run, but good to see that someone started to investigate.

It's all about money,

I'm sure when My wife met Me here in London, if I were stacking shelves at the local supermarket & lived in a bedsit, it wouldn't have gone very far.

It matters little that She's Thai, woman world wide want financial security, the financial crash here a few years back, saw long term seemingly stable marriages go tits up very quickly once the money stopped coming in.

A survey carried out here in the UK a good few years back, said the average women under 30, wanted a Tall dark hansom man, living with his own 3 bed semi, driving a BMW or Mercedes, minimum earnings of £50,000, way above the common man in the UK.

It's life the world over, for sure the bar girls, mostly married to have a better life for themselves & their family's, but lets not think for one minute a middle class Thai girls going to Marry a farang that stack shelves back in his native country.

"but lets not think for one minute a middle class Thai girls going to Marry a farang that stack shelves back in his native country." Well, it does happen, but it's VERY RARE !!

If he stacks shelves in England, and the Thai girl is already in England, it's very unlikely. But if he turnded up in Thailand, and he's met her in Thailand, and she's never been to England, well, his chances have improved.

For most women (Thai and not Thai) who met up with a man with money, and married him, well, I think most of them will carry on with him as long as he carries on financially supporting her, and he doesn't give her a lot of grief.

Hypergamy is also common in the West, and there are actually a good sociobiological reasons for this: Kids usually survive their parents, the mother might get less attractive, and the father might look for a younger woman.

Yes, It's common all over the world and is the result of billions of years of evolution.

I'm not making a value judgement, it just is what it is.

" “Before I conducted this research, I thought that Thai women marry white men from economic necessity, but after I studied the situation, I changed my mind,” said Supichaya, who studied the trend through match-making websites, targeting Thai women and white men. "

I hope her research included more than the above. Perhaps it was but was not reported in this article - quite possible with the very poor state of Thai reporting and journalism.

If it didn't include one on one interviews and focus group interviews and cross group discussions then by most university standards it wouldn't pass.

As a different angle, within the last 5 years or so i've had maybe 10 to 15 Thai female MBA students ask me how they could meet nice farang men, their own age. In most cases going to bars etc., not within their scope of activities at all.

In 99% of these cases the Thai ladies speak advanced English, very pleasant, like to discuss more wordly things, pretty much open to listen and learn, want to politely express their own thoughts. Not the 'up to you' approach.

At one of my Unis here in Bangkok there are currently 2 young Thai men, MBA students, seriously dating female MBA exchange students from Europe (one from Germany, one from England). Money is not a drawcard in either direction. Both of the Thai men come from comfortable, not rich, families and have good employment

In the last 5 years I've been to 2 such weddings. In both cases Thai lady and western man.

In most of the above cases the Thai parents are initially concerned but after a few meetings with the foreign partner they are quite happy. In one case of marriage the Thai parents and the western parents have become close friends and now visit each other about twice per year.

I'll add some other points:

The other Thai MBA students in my classes (and the European students) are very accepting of these mixed relationships, in fact more of the female and male Thai students seem to be quite keen to get closer to the exchange students, and I'm aware of a few cases where contact with the exchange students has brought contact with young German men sent to Thailand as expats.

I'm not suggesting this is just aligned to the fact they are MBA students. I do suspect it's their age, the fact that there are zero communication problems and overall they have broader exposure and deeper awareness of the world.

What foreigners misconstrue about 'Thai women looking for a rich farang' is actually cultural and to do with security for the family. Completely normal in most of Asia

If you end up with a gold digger its purely a reflection of yourself and not Thailand.

+1

And, Pattaya's Walking St." is, certainly, not the whole country ;-)

How could that be, when the number of Farang has dropped so drastically recently! Now the country is full of Chinese and Russians. I was on Walking Street in Pattaya last night. Thopusands of Chinese all in tour groups passed by my seat . ..... in 15 minutes I only saw 5 farang go by

Pattaya is not the whole country.

My wife will like this....She doesn't like Thai men and her hobbie is matchmaking friends.....8 married already in just 2 years, and more 8 in the way... one of them with an US millionaire..... One of these days she will start recycling old farangs and I will be the first one to go.

Ohhhh...welll. She is not just a lot younger and very beautiful...she is smart too!

Tell her I have high salary/education and elite job but I am not interested in children and

my lifestyle does not allow the keeping of "pets". Anybody to set me up with? I'd like to meet a woman like a Plastic Surgeon, Royal Thai AirForce Colonel, or wealthy business owner with at least 500k baht income per month. Nobody? Right, I thought so.

My wife will like this....She doesn't like Thai men and her hobbie is matchmaking friends.....8 married already in just 2 years, and more 8 in the way... one of them with an US millionaire..... One of these days she will start recycling old farangs and I will be the first one to go.

Ohhhh...welll. She is not just a lot younger and very beautiful...she is smart too!

Tell her I have high salary/education and elite job but I am not interested in children and

my lifestyle does not allow the keeping of "pets". Anybody to set me up with? I'd like to meet a woman like a Plastic Surgeon, Royal Thai AirForce Colonel, or wealthy business owner with at least 500k baht income per month. Nobody? Right, I thought so.

I have friend like that. Usually, they wait till they find right person. If they don't then they can live by theirselves happily ever after. Unless they get force by family to marry some guy that their family want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Earning enough money makes happy, earning more will not make you happier"

Then what else matter more in your life

Maybe real love nice relationship family and experience on other thing

It's up with person too. If they are very greedy, they will never satisfied even marriage with a million are

"Educated" - my experience in LOS is that a university education is rather basic cf to many western countries. That is saying something!

Medicine, dentistry & maybe a few others may be the exception.

I have been coming to Thailand for over 15 years so will give my obseration. Bar girls were mostly from Issan areas and to help their familes would come down to Pattaya, Bangkok , Phuket to work bars and make money.. Some would marry older farangs to make a better life for themselves .It still goes on.

Upper middle class girls or hi-so girls would not date a farang because they didn't want to be seen as a hooker. But times are changing , they see young farangs their age at schools offfices night clubs and realise they are nice guys,make good income and can help them have a nice lifestyle so don't have a problem dating them.

I have been coming to Thailand for over 15 years so will give my obseration. Bar girls were mostly from Issan areas and to help their familes would come down to Pattaya, Bangkok , Phuket to work bars and make money.. Some would marry older farangs to make a better life for themselves .It still goes on.

Upper middle class girls or hi-so girls would not date a farang because they didn't want to be seen as a hooker. But times are changing , they see young farangs their age at schools offfices night clubs and realise they are nice guys,make good income and can help them have a nice lifestyle so don't have a problem dating them.

There's even bar girls from Isaan that save money and date younger Farangs.

Some bar girls go to university in the daytime or attend other courses, and eventually get a good job in another part of the town.

There's also young men that obviously get better jobs and concentrate on their career. Not all Thai men are uneducated drunkards.

Some bar girls go to university in the daytime or attend other courses, and eventually get a good job in another part of the town.

Good thai girl will never work at bar. No matter how poor they are. Because most are Buddhism . It's wrong. It about the university they study too. If it's top uni like thamasart or chula or mahidol. I think non of them are bar girl. I have friend who struggle while study. They do job like these; tutor, kfc, swensense, or other restaurant. They also sell food in market. And also use student loan to pay for study.

Lol isan girl also have really nice girl too as other part of Thailand . I think you guy just have to use your instinct.

Normally, good Thai girl don't wear bold make up or dress sexy. They may wear shorts or skirt but it tend to look cute than sexy.

post-243021-14381736605759_thumb.jpg

Flyingdoc thank you. It's just my opinion. Sometime I talk nonsense too lol

Yes, and I may tell you what is the different between the former trend (Isaan) and tne new trendy (55555, high educated) fashion.

NOTHING.

All the same, but the new generation doesn't ask money for the sick buffalo or for funeral of neighbour's dog.

The new generation is much smarter, so you have to listen MORE.

Yes, and I may tell you what is the different between the former trend (Isaan) and tne new trendy (55555, high educated) fashion.

NOTHING.

All the same, but the new generation doesn't ask money for the sick buffalo or for funeral of neighbour's dog.

The new generation is much smarter, so you have to listen MORE.

Who said it's different lol

Woman will always be woman

But if I were male, I would prefer a woman who can I discuss any subject with. I like to talk. It's fun :D

I currently have three on the go. One has a masters, two have BA's, from decent international programs. To be honest, it's strange to see Western men shack up with partners educated to the level of a Western 10 yr old and communicate using toddler-talk.

But then, the World is strange.

coffee1.gif

Mr Dlang.....you need to be in the far queue! wink.pngthumbsup.gifwai.gif

I love to read these research results.

Personally I would more interest in research results in terms of braces in Thailand.

Guess that around 30% of all women in Thailand between 16 and 40 years old have braces now.

The new fashion item or is the small error in the tooth row no longer erotic?

Or a study of the duration of use of smartphones per day in hours from 20 - 30 years old women.

Are there studies how great the economic damage is, when many women playing during the work hours with their smartphones,

while customers waiting to be served?

Anyway the new trend of young, educated Thai women with farang husbands emerges.

But it must also be considered the side of young foreign men today.

Hey 20 years ago it was hard to figure out where to find the well-educated girls in Bangkok.

The addresses and places were made available only to really good friends.

Today in the age of the Internet it is part of the Travel Preparation to learn about it.

So the new trend is no wonder. The thesis is thus generally correct.

The old stories from the sick Buffalo no longer pull.

Just met a woman (all pictures from her are very very pretty) in my social network.

She claims to be an architect, but in her profile she writes her profession totally wrong.

So what is a young, educated Thai woman by definition?

In another profile, I found a girl (also very pretty), she wrote under her profession/job/ education title: Pattaya

Perhaps there also exists a bachelor's degree for street smartness.

Post linking to Bangkok Post and replies to it removed.

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

Good thai girl will never work at bar. No matter how poor they are. Because most are Buddhism . It's wrong. It about the university they study too. If it's top uni like thamasart or chula or mahidol. I think non of them are bar girl. I have friend who struggle while study. They do job like these; tutor, kfc, swensense, or other restaurant. They also sell food in market. And also use student loan to pay for study.

Lol isan girl also have really nice girl too as other part of Thailand . I think you guy just have to use your instinct.

Normally, good Thai girl don't wear bold make up or dress sexy. They may wear shorts or skirt but it tend to look cute than sexy.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1438173658.724835.jpg

Some girls work as waitresses in a bar (or sell food) and study at Ramkhamhaeng University in Bangkok, where you can do distance learning. It is not impossible if you're smart enough.

There's nice and smart girls in many parts of Thailand, too many maybe :D

Most waitresses I know even in Pattaya bars don"t wear bold make or run around half naked, many are simply natural beauties. And many change their dress for office.

Notice: Pattaya has many sides, not only Walking Street.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1438173658.724835.jpg

I've read all your post on this thread,and I most say I agree with everything you say,"except"I do know of a few girls from the uni's you mention who did a bit of freelance on the side. But again I must stress the word "few". There are others of course who are Mia Noi. One of whom recently became fairly rich, when her sponsor left her 10 million Bht in his will.

This issue is pretty silly isn't it ?

Let's get real here. A man from England will be in Thailand, he's 55 years old, and has one or two ex-wives back home. Now, he's not going to get a girl-friend who is 33 in England, so, simple, he's in Thailand, and he can get a girl-friend who is 33 a lot easier than back home.

What about younger men who get a Thai girlfriend ? Okay, if you are male and 35 years old, and you try and go out with a Thai girl who is 25, and this is back home in England or Australia. Well, if she was raised in England/Australia, well, your chances of going out with her are about the same as trying to go out with any other girl in England/Australia. Also, you will notice that Thai girls (and all the other coloured girls raised in England) behave almost the same as all the other girls. It's not really the case that it's easier to go on a date with somebody coloured rather than 'white'.

What if you are 35 years old, you're in Thailand, and you try and go out with a Thai girl is 25 ? We've got to get real here. The lady might speak reasonable English, but her culture and thinking is not going to be the same as yours. She's unlikely to be from a rich family, and that means it does boil down to you financially supporting her. If you don't, well, it will end in tears.

And let's just say your Thai girlfriend is from a rich family, unlikely, but it might happen. In that case, it's likely you're going to have to buy all sorts of status symbols and expensive stuff to keep her. She won't want you in the first place unless she thinks you've got money. And once you're with her, well, it will cost you money to support her.

I'm sorry, but in all honesty, why get a Thai girlfriend if you can get one back home ? If you're in Thailand for work, because the job in Bangkok pays more than the job in London, fine, you're going to stay for a few years, fine, get a Thai girlfriend whilst you're in Thailand. But do remember, the extra problems involved in such relationships.

Well perhaps a fairly good description of the past.

But there seems to be some evidence that it's changing, especially in some sectors.

Change is normal and inevitable in all cultures.

Archived