Car insurance rises after accident -- not at fault

canopy

I have first class insurance from Sin Mun Kong. Some time ago I was waiting patiently at a stop light in a pickup when I was struck in the rear by a motorcycle for no apparent reason. It was decided I was not at fault by the police and insurance agent. However, the insurance company has informed me they are raising my rates since I had a claim. Does this make sense?

I have first class insurance from Sin Mun Kong. Some time ago I was waiting patiently at a stop light in a pickup when I was struck in the rear by a motorcycle for no apparent reason. It was decided I was not at fault by the police and insurance agent. However, the insurance company has informed me they are raising my rates since I had a claim. Does this make sense?

Funnily enough the opposite can be said for me,I had a pranged bumper and rear offside panel that was fairly badly dented,no ones fault but my own hitting firstly the largest lamppost in Phetchabun province and secondly an electricity pole and SIL neighbours car in Chonburi.

I made a claim of which they came and took pictures etc and made the subsequent repairs,when my renewal came about it was less than the year before then again the car was a year older so maybe the age of the vehicle has something to do with it also.

Edited by stoneyboy

The same thing happens in the UK.... i.e. from personal experience: someone hits your car while its parked in a supermarket. its not your fault but the claim is classed as something such as a 'no fault claim'...

IF you make a claim regardless of fault you will loose no claims bonus.

In Thailand its likely to be the same - the insurance don't care who's at fault, they simply care about their bottom line, which in this case you have made a claim, fault is irrelevant to them.

Hopefully this will change in the future and the Insurance companies will provide a better level of service / cover as is starting to happen elsewhere with no-fault-claims.

Additionally, no-fault-claims should also come with a 'loaner' so you still have use of a car while yours is being fixed.

Insurance in Thailand has a long way to go, but there are some things I like about the 1st Class insurance here such as no excess, the guy who comes and assists.

On a previous car I incurred a crack from a stone chip on my Windscreen... It took 1 month and approximately THB 55,000 (yes fifty five thousand) to order and replace the windscreen... In the UK a windscreen is not covered under the insurance policy (an additional policy is required)..

My insurance covered the replacement cost but increased the following year by approximately 10,000 baht so I had to shop around a little.

Edited by richard_smith237

Yes, it makes sense in Thailand. My insurance company (Viriyah) told me that unless they can collect from the other party's insurance company, I lose the "no claims discount" at renewal time. I have had my car damaged twice in parking lots while I was inside the store. One case was even captured on the stores security camera. No matter how much I argued that I was not at fault in any way, I was told unless the perpetrator left a note or waited for me to come out of the store, it goes down as a claim against me. Of course, the offending party took off as fast as they could.

Insurance in Thailand has a long way to go, but there are some things I like about the 1st Class insurance here such as no excess, the guy who comes and assists.

I've never needed him but that guy is surely useful. As for excess I deliberately increased mine to 5000B as it resulted in a saving of several thousand Baht on my premium. Unless I have two or more claims a year I am better off that way.

On a previous car I incurred a crack from a stone chip on my Windscreen... It took 1 month and approximately THB 55,000 (yes fifty five thousand) to order and replace the windscreen... In the UK a windscreen is not covered under the insurance policy (an additional policy is required)..

My insurance covered the replacement cost but increased the following year by approximately 10,000 baht so I had to shop around a little.

My total bill for my first class cover is only 11,300B ("luxury" version of a three year old locally-made pick-up) so I wonder how much you are paying if your increase alone was 10,000B? Also 55,000B for a windscreen seems very high. Is that an imported vehicle?

So let me recap to see if I understand:

1. if the motorcycle persons insurance paid, my rates would not have gone up. Unknown why this didn't happen.

2. if the motorcycle driver liable for the accident paid out of pocket for my damages, my rates would not have gone up. Unknown why this didn't happen either.

3. if the insurance company had recommended repairing myself instead of by claim I would have been better off because the rate increase is more than the repairs. This didn't happen either.

So it means I end up paying everything and then some for an accident caused by another person who apparently pays absolutely nothing at all. Is this really the way insurance here is designed to work? It doesn't sound right.

No, the way you put it in your recap does not sound right. Who is your insurance company? If their policy is to raise your rates for a claim regardless of who is at fault and who pays, I would look for a new insurance company.

We are with Viriyah,every time the insurance is due and i go to the office

to pay it,I tell them its too expensive,and for last 3 years they have knocked

1500-2000 Thb off,if you don't ask you don't get,just tell them other insurance

companies are phoning you offering better rates,(which they do,think someone

at the dealership selling our details to other companies).

Anyway my daughter scraped her Honda Jazz,the rep came to the panel beaters,

and told her you might as well get this and that fixed as well,the bill just came to

renew and she still has her 50% no claims bonus.

Can anyone here explain why you have to take the Govt.insurance, when you

have fully comprehensive with an Insurance company,??,

regards worgeordie

We are with Viriyah,every time the insurance is due and i go to the office

to pay it,I tell them its too expensive,and for last 3 years they have knocked

1500-2000 Thb off,if you don't ask you don't get,just tell them other insurance

companies are phoning you offering better rates,(which they do,think someone

at the dealership selling our details to other companies).

Anyway my daughter scraped her Honda Jazz,the rep came to the panel beaters,

and told her you might as well get this and that fixed as well,the bill just came to

renew and she still has her 50% no claims bonus.

Can anyone here explain why you have to take the Govt.insurance, when you

have fully comprehensive with an Insurance company,??,

regards worgeordie

Worgeordie :

Viriyah can afford to do that as their premiums are high to start with - try comparing them with other companies next renewal.

CTPL : if one has 1st Class insurance there is no reason for the CTPL except the fact it is "easy"for the Government to keep track when they issue the Road Tax. The Government did talk a few years back about stopping the need to have both but (A) they would lose the extra revenue and (B) cause extra work for the Licensing Office !