Upgraded to Win 10 Today/29 July Without Issue

Pib

I have no idea why nothing is working, and Microsoft is providing no clues. Something must be wrong on my Lenovo notebook which has factory-installed Win8.1 Home, but ... what, exactly?

After downloading the .ISO and burning it to a USB drive, six minutes into the installation:

somethinghappened.gif

That's frustrating. I would agree with you, there is something amiss with the existing 8.1 installation.

The quickest way to solve this may be to revert your Yoga to factory either by doing a reset using the recovery partition from within Windows or else a clean install of Win 8.1. If the latter you will need 8.1 installation media which MS don't officially provide for OEM Windows. It is easy to find ISO's to download though. Make sure that the 8.1 ISO is either Core or Core/Pro. You won't need a product key because it will be pulled from the UEFI BIOS.

If you need a download link, PM me and I'll send you one.

If you do that, don't worry about updating Windows 8.1 or installing missing drivers. The only thing that is necessary is that Win 8.1 shows as activated before commencing the Win 10 upgrade from the ISO.

Obviously this means reinstalling all your applications and data though.......

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I installed it manually this morning. Had a reservation but was getting failed updates for it. Went through the help menu to support and got to the page where I could do it myself.

First step was to download and the install media creation tool

About an hour for the download. Then another 2 hours of installation and etc.

So far everything is working like it should.

I have no idea why nothing is working, and Microsoft is providing no clues. Something must be wrong on my Lenovo notebook which has factory-installed Win8.1 Home, but ... what, exactly?

Wpcoe, how exactly is the hard disk space configured on your Yoga 2?

There are various models, but when I looked at specs, they showed it coming with as small as an 8 GB SSD drive and then a 500GB spinning drive? I'd guess the SSD is configured as the boot drive, but not sure. Is it possible Win 10 is trying to install on a small SSD, and not having enough space there??

The 78.5GB partition has 28.8GB free space. There is also 118GB data partition with 12.8GB free and 17.58GB of unpartitioned/unallocated space. The Yoga 2 Pro with the i7 processor came with a 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM.

After downloading the .ISO and burning it to a USB drive, six minutes into the installation:

[pic deleted from post to save space]

That's frustrating. I would agree with you, there is something amiss with the existing 8.1 installation.

The quickest way to solve this may be to revert your Yoga to factory either by doing a reset using the recovery partition from within Windows or else a clean install of Win 8.1. If the latter you will need 8.1 installation media which MS don't officially provide for OEM Windows. It is easy to find ISO's to download though. Make sure that the 8.1 ISO is either Core or Core/Pro. You won't need a product key because it will be pulled from the UEFI BIOS.

If you need a download link, PM me and I'll send you one.

If you do that, don't worry about updating Windows 8.1 or installing missing drivers. The only thing that is necessary is that Win 8.1 shows as activated before commencing the Win 10 upgrade from the ISO.

Obviously this means reinstalling all your applications and data though.......

In other words, wipe out my configuration, losing all programs and settings in the process. Boo. That will be my final option. However, I've posted on another forum where other users have posted their unique technical problems and received some solutions, so I'm hoping to not have to go for the nuclear solution.

I've got both the recovery partition and a USB drive with Win8.1, but really really hope I don't need to spend another day reconfiguring the notebook, just to have the latest and greatest from Microsoft. If it comes to that, I will need to step back and reassess just how badly I want/need Win10.

In other words, wipe out my configuration, losing all programs and settings in the process. Boo. That will be my final option. However, I've posted on another forum where other users have posted their unique technical problems and received some solutions, so I'm hoping to not have to go for the nuclear solution.

I've got both the recovery partition and a USB drive with Win8.1, but really really hope I don't need to spend another day reconfiguring the notebook, just to have the latest and greatest from Microsoft. If it comes to that, I will need to step back and reassess just how badly I want/need Win10.

Yeah fair enough. I'm sure you have googled the problem yourself but a work-around that has worked for others is to set location, region and language all to EN-US. If there are any other languages installed, remove them.

Have you tried that?

OK, found my first issue after the upgrade...is problem is when using MS Outook 365/2003 or Outlook 2007. Outgoing email won't leave the outbox...you get an error when sending (i.e., I can not send email from Outlook)...incoming email via Outlook still works.

I then tried sending from MS Mail and the email goes out no problem.

Doing some googling I see email getting stuck in the Outlook outbox is not a new problem....been occurring for years. Now need to find a fix for this issue.

I am having the same problem, after installing WINDOWS 10, can receive mail in OUTLOOK 2013, but cannot send

I When I send a test email, receives and sends no problem

Do you know how to resolve

I use POP and STMP via Yahoo

OK, found my first issue after the upgrade...is problem is when using MS Outook 365/2003 or Outlook 2007. Outgoing email won't leave the outbox...you get an error when sending (i.e., I can not send email from Outlook)...incoming email via Outlook still works.

I then tried sending from MS Mail and the email goes out no problem.

Doing some googling I see email getting stuck in the Outlook outbox is not a new problem....been occurring for years. Now need to find a fix for this issue.

I am having the same problem, after installing WINDOWS 10, can receive mail in OUTLOOK 2013, but cannot send

I When I send a test email, receives and sends no problem

Do you know how to resolve

I use POP and STMP via Yahoo

For the hard-of-reading,

PIB gave the answer to this (for him) in post #73

I got my Outlook issue fixed...that is, mail would not leave the Outlook outbox. I started a chat session with the MS Answer Desk this afternoon. Funny, the rep handling me was also handing another customer at the same time who had the identical problem....Outlook having a Send issue right after upgrading to Win 10....he even admitted the Outlook "mail gets stuck in the outbox" seemed to be an "emerging problem" with Win 10 upgrade although this problem has been around forever even with earlier MS operating systems...just an Outlook thing.

Anyway, the rep took control of my computer, ran the "sfc /scannow" commard (a system file checker in Windows), did a clean boot by turning off unneeded services with the msconfig command, then turned all the services back on again and Outlook was now sending email again. The sfc /scannow command did find and repair some corrupted files...took about 10 minutes to run. Yeap, the online chat session with the MS Answer desk worked out well.

< snip >

Yeah fair enough. I'm sure you have googled the problem yourself but a work-around that has worked for others is to set location, region and language all to EN-US. If there are any other languages installed, remove them.

Have you tried that?

Coincidentally, a fellow from the UK just replied on another forum advising to do just that. However, I might be missing one bit. His system is Win7 (and mine is Win8.1) so the settings locations in Control Panel are apparently different. I verified that on my system:

- Control Panel > Region > Location tab was already set to "United States"

- Control Panel > Language was already set to "English (United States)"

Is there another place to set the location, as well, in Win8.1?

There is "Location Settings" in Control Panel, and it has a check box to "Turn on the Windows Location platform ... Let users choose their own location settings" that is currently checked. There is another check box for "Help improve Microsoft location services ... Let Windows periodically send GPS and other location information to Microsoft when you use location-aware apps. We won't use this information to identify or contact you." That check box is not checked. (Since this is a laptop without a GPS chip, I assume there is no way for the computer to notify Microsoft that it's in Thailand anyway, right?)

There are no other languages installed.

Have you tried that?

There is "Location Settings" in Control Panel, and it has a check box to "Turn on the Windows Location platform ... Let users choose their own location settings" that is currently checked. There is another check box for "Help improve Microsoft location services ... Let Windows periodically send GPS and other location information to Microsoft when you use location-aware apps. We won't use this information to identify or contact you." That check box is not checked. (Since this is a laptop without a GPS chip, I assume there is no way for the computer to notify Microsoft that it's in Thailand anyway, right?)

Well, a Thai ip address might give the game away just a little lol

I'm sure M$ are smart enough to know the difference between a laptop using a Thai Internet connection and a western European one

I have the 32 and 64 bit version saved and will wait a few more days-weeks to give it a try. The first victim is one of the computers at school, got Windows 7 backed up with Acronis, so whatever will go wrong leaves me cold.

I'm just wondering if I'll get three language packs......will report back in a few days. Please keep your experiences good/bad coming.

Have you tried that?

Coincidentally, a fellow from the UK just replied on another forum advising to do just that. However, I might be missing one bit. His system is Win7 (and mine is Win8.1) so the settings locations in Control Panel are apparently different. I verified that on my system:

No that's about it. I would check each tab in both of those and make sure there aren't any references to other languages left over. Then reboot.

I don't think the Location Awareness has any relation to this problem.

One more thing that you may have already tried is running System File Checker. If not I think that is worth a shot.

From an Admin Command Prompt, type: sfc /scannow

If it finds problems that it cannot fix try the following also from Admin Prompt: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Then run sfc /scannow again

Despite making a reservation for this upgrade way back when, I was already getting cold feet on going ahead with it subsequently - and now feel even less inclined to proceed in the light of what I have on the last page and a bit on this thread. Think I'll stick with Windows 7 Home Premium since it's adequate for my needs and will continue to be supported by MS until 2020. I'll probably need to replace my existing laptop well before then in any case and presumably wouldn't be able to transfer Windows 10 free of charge from old to new laptop. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Despite making a reservation for this upgrade way back when, I was already getting cold feet on going ahead with it subsequently - and now feel even less inclined to proceed in the light of what I have on the last page and a bit on this thread. Think I'll stick with Windows 7 Home Premium since it's adequate for my needs and will continue to be supported by MS until 2020. I'll probably need to replace my existing laptop well before then in any case and presumably wouldn't be able to transfer Windows 10 free of charge from old to new laptop. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Don't you realize that the free upgrade offer is valid only for the first year after Windows 10 if officially released? i.e. The free upgrade offer expires on July 29, 2016.

Have you tried that?

No that's about it. I would check each tab in both of those and make sure there aren't any references to other languages left over. Then reboot.

I don't think the Location Awareness has any relation to this problem.

One more thing that you may have already tried is running System File Checker. If not I think that is worth a shot.

From an Admin Command Prompt, type: sfc /scannow

If it finds problems that it cannot fix try the following also from Admin Prompt: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Then run sfc /scannow again

Yes, since Pib had mentioned it, it was fresh in my mind so I ran it. No errors reported.

Interestingly (to me, at least) I found another user with an almost exact error log message on a Microsoft Community post. I'm hoping that maybe s/he and I can find a common denominator, but not holding my breath.

Edited by wpcoe

Upgraded to Windows 10 today 1 August without issue

Downloaded Windows 10 to my live PC (Acer Laptop). Everything went unbelievably smooth.

It took about 1hr 20min in total. I declined the automatic feedback for for marketing etc, and the automatic default applications in favour of my previous selected defaults. When the machine became live again, it was just as though nothing had changed. All my programmes, favourites and defaults were still in place.

The only thing I had to do, was to reboot with my printer connected and powered up for it to find it.

All in all, a much easier experience than doing a clean install from a disk.

PS. no issues with Outlook sending mail

Regarding running the "sfc /scannow command," after going to the Cmd prompt unless you are in the /windows/system32 folder when at the Cmd prompt it may not run....switch to the /windows/system32 folder, then enter the sfc /scannow command and it will run.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Pib, Just for giggles I just went to the start button (search web and Windows) and typed in "cmd". It didn't give me the hint above so on a hunch I hit enter and got the command prompt. I could run sfc from there. I ran diskpart just to be sure and it works too.

We still have a command prompt, I'd like to report!!!!!!

Oops, I took a screen shot and clicked on a .jpg to open Irfanview picture viewer and got the Microsoft one. Now I have to figure out how to make Irfanview default at least for now. I DON'T like Microsoft changing my default programs to theirs. End of, LOL.

post-164212-0-75603100-1438449142_thumb.

[... snipped...]

Wonder what happens to an already installed Windows 7 based VS2005 environment AFTER a Windows 10 upgrade ( not doing a clean install ). Will specifically that relative old already completely installed and upgraded VS2005 environment running under Windows 7 still keep on working under Windows 10 if it has already been successfully installed and configured properly in Windows 7? Have some software developers actually performed this test already?

Actually did the test after first having created an Acronis full backup of the partition involved.

VS2005 works fine under Windows 10, just as it did under Windows 7, and, also under Windows 8, despite the comments offered by Microsoft, just before the actual start of the Windows 10 update.

However, I do experience already expected security issues when for example saving a text file into the root of the C:\ disk on which Windows 10 has been installed ( as an upgrade ). Then said program needs to run with elevation, or, corresponding access control list is to be adjusted, or, program, when the implementation or a redesign allows it, should save a text file at a different more convenient place elsewhere which is much more easy to get into these days due to the latest new much more strict security policies as applied by Microsoft.

Edited by jacnl2000

I'm happy to report that the upgrade to Win10 Pro on my desktop computer went quite smoothly. I downloaded the .ISO, created a USB drive and installed from that. From clicking on the setup.exe file to final display of the Win10 desktop was just under 25 minutes.

Based on comments I've read on it being tricky to change default apps, during the upgrade process I unchecked all the boxes for recommended default apps. I also took time to evaluate (and uncheck most of) the privacy options

Still exploring how things work and where things are, but I've noticed a few "improvements" that I'm not fond of yet:

• unable to not display the Action Center icon in the taskbar
  • no longer able to set taskbar icons to display only when there are notifications - now the icons display all the time, or never
  • haven't figured out yet how to remove the arrow on desktop shortcuts - the registry hack that worked in previous versions doesn't work any more
  • even Win10 Pro doesn't let you control whether Windows Updates automatically checks & downloads?
  • the default Explorer shortcut in the task bar defaults to "Recent files"
  • clicking on the network icon in the task bar to connect to my VPN now involves four clicks, versus three

But, overall it seems okay.

Now, if I could just get my notebook to upgrade...

I am keeping Win7. I am running win10 in a virtualbox. For those who have not tried it, it is easy and the net is full with useful tips. So far, I have seen no value in running Win10. Another example of giving the consumer something they dont need; in this case, for microsoft to set up a fairly enclosed but financially useful monopoly as Apple has done with their system and Apps.

With respect to Win 10, I believe it is something they need rather than you.

They want to get rid of those needy lower Windows users, like me. quite content here using Vista!

i fail completely to understand why you would be content running an almost 10 year old operating system.

Edited by HooHaa

I am keeping Win7. I am running win10 in a virtualbox. For those who have not tried it, it is easy and the net is full with useful tips. So far, I have seen no value in running Win10. Another example of giving the consumer something they dont need; in this case, for microsoft to set up a fairly enclosed but financially useful monopoly as Apple has done with their system and Apps.

They want to get rid of those needy lower Windows users, like me. quite content here using Vista!

i fail completely to understand why you would be content running an almost 10 year old operating system.

The age is irrelevant, it works, mostly better than my Win 7 one, and the hardware probably isn't worth upgrading.

It was only updated a few days ago by Microsoft support.

I have a truck outside that is of similar age... I see no need to upgrade that.

I fail to understand why people feel a need to have the latest and greatest......... I must be a peaceful Luddite.

The age is irrelevant, it works, mostly better than my Win 7 one, and the hardware probably isn't worth upgrading.

It was only updated a few days ago by Microsoft support.

I have a truck outside that is of similar age... I see no need to upgrade that.

I fail to understand why people feel a need to have the latest and greatest......... I must be a peaceful Luddite.

I partially agree with you but there is another perspective. WinXp was fine. Many, like me, would have considered Vista but from an operational view point it sucks. Sorry, this not indictment on you, just the evolution of OS. When Win7 came out I found many XP features enhanced and so jumped over vista. Vista is buggy, shaky, unreliable, and serious program compatibility issues, i found. Win7 was perfect. I still think so.

Win8 struck me as a vista pig. It sucked. It was trying to force me into a world I did not want to belong, apps and social tools. I just want a local OS than can also be a gateway. Win7 did that. Win10 presumably tries to marry these two realities- microsoft wanting to access the closed app social world that Apple enjoys and the reality that its consumer base is its consumer base and not Apple's because they do not want to jump into that social app world- indeed, if they did, they would already be Apple clients. MS tried to then merge its business model future apps across platforms in a closed loop like Apple===Win8 with the reality that numerous people like me prefer windows 7 because we dont want that crap.

The marketing of win10 actually makes this quite clear. Win10 will have the familiar this and that button, etc, ad naseum. However, I have thus far found win10 unappealing. All my first actions are to reduce it as far as possible to a win7 UI. I run this in a virtualbox and am glad I am. Numerous reports are coming in suggesting this is an early debacle. They raced to release and win10 is filled with headaches.

Here's an odd wrinkle to add to the mix...

Re my main desktop computer, which is running a fully licensed/legal U.S. version of Windows 7 Home Premium, I've had the Win 10 reservation made on my PC for weeks, and the little Win 10 applet showing that my desktop is fully compatible with no hardware or incompatible software installed.

So today, I checked my Windows Update history screen, and discovered to my surprise that apparently Win Update has been trying to install Win 10 on my PC for the past 4 consecutive days, and failed each time. But, during that entire time, I've never been prompted to permit the installation, nor had I received any notification that the Win 10 installs had been attempted and failed. All of that occurring entirely invisibly behind the scenes, except when I happened to look at my Windows Update install history.

In fact, today, when I click the little Win 10 update icon in my taskbar, it still says Win 10 should be arriving soon for my PC.... What the F***???

post-58284-0-93343700-1438501487_thumb.j

post-58284-0-83045300-1438501551_thumb.j

I partially agree with you but there is another perspective. WinXp was fine. Many, like me, would have considered Vista but from an operational view point it sucks. Sorry, this not indictment on you, just the evolution of OS. When Win7 came out I found many XP features enhanced and so jumped over vista. Vista is buggy, shaky, unreliable, and serious program compatibility issues, i found. Win7 was perfect. I still think so.

Win8 struck me as a vista pig. It sucked. It was trying to force me into a world I did not want to belong, apps and social tools. I just want a local OS than can also be a gateway. Win7 did that. Win10 presumably tries to marry these two realities- microsoft wanting to access the closed app social world that Apple enjoys and the reality that its consumer base is its consumer base and not Apple's because they do not want to jump into that social app world- indeed, if they did, they would already be Apple clients. MS tried to then merge its business model future apps across platforms in a closed loop like Apple===Win8 with the reality that numerous people like me prefer windows 7 because we dont want that crap.

The marketing of win10 actually makes this quite clear. Win10 will have the familiar this and that button, etc, ad naseum. However, I have thus far found win10 unappealing. All my first actions are to reduce it as far as possible to a win7 UI. I run this in a virtualbox and am glad I am. Numerous reports are coming in suggesting this is an early debacle. They raced to release and win10 is filled with headaches.

There is a "Pure Desktop" version of Windows 10 called LTSB Enterprise N. No Edge, Cortana or Photos app, without Windows Media Player, Camera, Music, TV & Movies, Skype etc. No store or apps at all.

It's not a free upgrade though.

There is a "Pure Desktop" version of Windows 10 called LTSB Enterprise N. No Edge, Cortana or Photos app, without Windows Media Player, Camera, Music, TV & Movies, Skype etc. No store or apps at all.

It's not a free upgrade though.

Nice. I am download and will check out in virtualbox. thanks

Got tired of waiting for the notification to allow me to install. Still waiting. Downloaded the installation tool from Microsoft, downloaded windows via that tool and installed.

Flawless. All icons where I left them in Win 7. Slowly testing each one. Took about an hour or so.

Downloaded the nvidia drivers for the graphics cards.

Worries about my Epson L355 unwarranted. Prints fine without the Win 10 drivers (none available yet).

Microsoft now have another page where Win 10 ISO's can be downloaded directly. Easier than the Media Creation tool.

Multi language, 32 or 64 bit. Whichever ISO you choose, it will include both Home and Professional. So if doing an upgrade will need to select the correct version during setup according to your present installation.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench