Upgraded to Win 10 Today/29 July Without Issue

Pib

When Samsung finally release the "Rapid Mode" device for the Pro 850, there should be dancing in the streets, Katoey shows, free yabba + more. Without "Rapid Mode", it becomes inferior to the 840 model etc.

Come on Samsung, surprise your devotees.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know the answer to this question. In all the Windows 10 transition stuff I've read, I haven't seen this addressed:

You've got a valid/legal license key for Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 and the original install DVD's for that software that you've been running on a PC. Then, you upgrade that PC to Windows 10 via MS's one year free upgrade program.

What then happens to the status of your original Windows 7/8/8.1 software and related license key? Does it somehow stick to same PC that you've upgraded to Windows 10? Or, you'd be free to install the Win 7/8/8.1 software and license key on some other machine that doesn't already have it (like a Thai store purchased PC that only comes with something like FreeDOS)?

Good question. Presumably you are talking about Retail versions of Win7/8/8.1 because OEM product keys can't be transferred to other hardware whether upgraded or not.

In the situation that you describe, MS use the term "consumed", as in "the previous OS product key will be consumed by the upgrade" So the answer is no you can't use it on another machine once you have upgraded.

However whether that means it technically can't be done or simply that it is not allowed in a legal sense, I don't know. MS has (intentionally?) been pretty vague on the subject.

In my experience, when transferring a retail licence of Win8/8.1 to different hardware it won't be activated automatically instead requiring a phone call to MS. So even if what you describe can technically be done, you would probably need to lie to MS for them to provide an activation code. I can't remember if the same applies to Win7.

I think that in some ways whether or not an old product key can be illicitly reused is an academic question because it is ridiculously easy to have Windows 10 activated even when upgraded from a completely pirated install of Win7/8/8.1. I find it hard to believe that this is unintentional.

Edit: spelling

Edited by thedemon

Anyone know the answer to this question. In all the Windows 10 transition stuff I've read, I haven't seen this addressed:

You've got a valid/legal license key for Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 and the original install DVD's for that software that you've been running on a PC. Then, you upgrade that PC to Windows 10 via MS's one year free upgrade program.

What then happens to the status of your original Windows 7/8/8.1 software and related license key? Does it somehow stick to same PC that you've upgraded to Windows 10? Or, you'd be free to install the Win 7/8/8.1 software and license key on some other machine that doesn't already have it (like a Thai store purchased PC that only comes with something like FreeDOS)?

Good question. Presumably you are talking about Retail versions of Win7/8/8.1 because OEM product keys can't be transferred to other hardware whether upgraded or not.

In the situation that you describe, MS use the term "consumed", as in "the previous OS product key will be consumed by the upgrade" So the answer is no you can't use it on another machine once you have upgraded.

However whether that means it technically can't be done or simply that it is not allowed in a legal sense, I don't know. MS has (intentionally?) been pretty vague on the subject.

In my experience, when transferring a retail licence of Win8/8.1 to different hardware it won't be activated automatically instead requiring a phone call to MS. So even if what you describe can technically be done, you would probably need to lie to MS for them to provide an activation code. I can't remember if the same applies to Win7.

I think that in some ways whether or not an old product key can be illicitly reused is an academic question because it is ridiculously easy to have Windows 10 activated even when upgraded from a completely pirated install of Win7/8/8.1. I find it hard to believe that this is unintentional.

Licence key now its being replaced by win 10 key.

I upgraded from win 8

At the back of laptop got sticker with key

U install win 8 and update it to win 10 over net.

Then after a while it was wrong serial

Went to Microsoft answers page and they posts keys there.

Its in insider section.

I will copy them and post here may b they works for anyone.

1 key 1 pc

Thanks for the answer above.

Yes, I was talking about retail purchase Windows 7 install DVDs and their associated license keys, not OEM versions. I've got a couple of them at home, purchased direct from MS back when they were offering cheap promo pricing.

Those had been the products installed on my home PCs until recently, when I did the Win 10 upgrades on them. At this point, just trying to see whether they have any reason to keep, or toss out at this point.

What caused me to think about the issue, BTW, was another thread running here right now where a guy bought a new laptop from Tesco, and to his surprise and dismay, it came with no Windows OS installed, which he only found out when he got home. And it's in fact true, that a lot of Thai retailers sell their PCs with no Windows version installed at all. Thus my thinking about a possible future use for my Win 7 disks.

Keeping the old Win 7 retail disks in that situation would at least give you the ability to install a Windows OS on a future Thai bought machine, even if it couldn't be immediately licensed. And of course, Thai shops seem to install Windows all the time and somehow set it up so it never requires licensing/activation -- the normal manner of Thai shop Windows installs.

BTW, I wasn't clear on the whole issue of upgrading "pirated" versions of Win 7/8... I recall, at one point, the news media reported MS was extending the Win 10 upgrade offer to that category of machines. But later, I thought MS denied that and said they weren't. What was the final outcome of that issue?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Licence key now its being replaced by win 10 key.

I upgraded from win 8

At the back of laptop got sticker with key

That would be an OEM version, if there's a sticker on the machine with the Windows license key.

I was talking about retail purchase Windows install disks and license keys, which are handled differently.

Those had been the products installed on my home PCs until recently, when I did the Win 10 upgrades on them. At this point, just trying to see whether they have any reason to keep, or toss out at this point.

What caused me to think about the issue, BTW, was another thread running here right now where a guy bought a new laptop from Tesco, and to his surprise and dismay, it came with no Windows OS installed, which he only found out when he got home. And it's in fact true, that a lot of Thai retailers sell their PCs with no Windows version installed at all. Thus my thinking about a possible future use for my Win 7 disks.

Keeping the old Win 7 retail disks in that situation would at least give you the ability to install a Windows OS on a future Thai bought machine, even if it couldn't be immediately licensed. And of course, Thai shops seem to install Windows all the time and somehow set it up so it never requires licensing/activation -- the normal manner of Thai shop Windows installs.

Yes I think you should at least keep the Win7 product keys (if not the DVDs) because even though your Win10 versions remain retail and therefore transferrable, I think the only method of transferring the genuine status will be to install Win7 and upgrade to Win10 each time you move to new hardware.

BTW, I wasn't clear on the whole issue of upgrading "pirated" versions of Win 7/8... I recall, at one point, the news media reported MS was extending the Win 10 upgrade offer to that category of machines. But later, I thought MS denied that and said they weren't. What was the final outcome of that issue?

Yeah MS flip-flopped on that point and AFAIK there is no final outcome officially and likely never will be. It is now widely known that any activated version of Win7/8/81 can be upgraded to an activated Win10 irrespective of the method used to attain activation on the original installation. It is too easy and to me it looks like MS would rather have all devices on board with Win10 regardless of their pedigree.

Perhaps they backtracked on their official stance because rather like airlines upgrading passengers, those that paid full price feel hard done by.

Yes I think you should at least keep the Win7 product keys (if not the DVDs) because even though your Win10 versions remain retail and therefore transferrable, I think the only method of transferring the genuine status will be to install Win7 and upgrade to Win10 each time you move to new hardware.

Ahh... that's a good point. But I don't think you can transfer a Windows 10 upgrade license to an entirely different PC.

AFAIK, under the free Windows 10 upgrade from Win 7/8, once someone has done that, the validated Windows 10 license is good ON THAT SAME MACHINE for the life of that machine, even if you change hard drives, video cards, etc. on that same machine in the future. Supposedly the Windows license code is saved in the PC's BIOS and a record kept of that on MS's activation servers.

But, if that Windows 10 machine DIES at some future point, supposedly, the Windows 10 version/license running on the machine would die with it. And you wouldn't simply be able to transfer that same Windows 10 version/license over to a newly purchased PC, at least as I understand MS's rules.

However, as long as I have a genuine retail licensed DVD and license code for Windows 7, and it's not already running on a different machine, I should be able to re-install it as desired (and then upgrade to Windows 10 for free--at least for the coming 12 months), and then for whatever upgrade fee exists in the future beyond the 12 month period -- which presumably would be less than a standalone new purchase Windows 10.

It is now widely known that any activated version of Win7/8/81 can be upgraded to an activated Win10 irrespective of the method used to attain activation on the original installation. It is too easy and to me it looks like MS would rather have all devices on board with Win10 regardless of their pedigree.

I guess the issue is, when people go out and get Thai PC shops to install 200-500b versions of Windows on their PCs, AFAIK, those versions aren't "activated." By activated, I presume you mean someone has entered in a valid license key code for that installation and it's been recognized by MS.

I certainly could be wrong. But I guess I'm not following how the typical Thai PC shop Windows installs could be upgraded to legitimate Windows 10 installations under MS's rules.

All of my Windows installs at home are legitimate, licensed official versions. No gray market stuff from Thai PC shops. But it would be interesting to hear from anyone who has the Thai install gray market Windows versions on their PC/s whether they've been able to do the free Windows 10 upgrade off of those versions. I don't recall reading any posts here from people describing having done that.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

How time flies. I just realized today is 29 Aug which is a month later than 29 July when I installed Win 10 and started this thread.

Other than the few minor issues I have mentioned in some posts in this thread which I got resolved pretty quickly, Win 10 is working fine...stable...fast...updating fine...etc. Knock on wood (my head)...all is well.

Due to an heads up from MikeWill (thanks), Magician ver 4.7 for Samsung SSDs has just been released, but there is a daily download limit...when I try to download directly from the Samsung support web site I get below message. And when opening my currently installed Magician Ver 4.6 and using its built-in link to check for an update it just says I have the latest version installed although 4.7 has just been released. Oh well, I'll try again tomorrow. And I don't think it fixes the Rapid Mode issue in Win 10 as some posts in other blogs from people who did download/install ver 4.7 today said it didn't fix the Rapid Mode issue...and the docs for the version still don't say compatible with Win 10...only Win 7 and Win 8.X. Another snapshot below shows what is new in ver 4.7. Maybe full Win 10 compatibility is coming in version 4.8 whenever that's released. Thanks again for the heads up from MikeWill.

From August 31 ~ September 6, 2015, there is a daily limit on the number of the Magician 4.7 downloads.

We apologize for your inconvenience Please try again within 24 hours

Unfortunately, the download limit for the day has been reached, please try again within 24 hours.
We apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused you. Thank you.

New in Version 4.7
Magician version 4.7 features a number of improvements over version 4.6:
- New model support: 850 PRO 2TB, 850 EVO 2TB
- Advanced Performance Optimization support for 840 EVO mSATA
; New firmware is required to use Advanced Performance Optimization
- Minor bug fixes
Edited by Pib

But you can download Samsung Magician 4.7 "now" from: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/samsung_ssd_magician.html

Since I trust downloads from majorgeeks.com I went ahead downloaded/installed...no problems...but Rapid Mode under Win 10 still don't work like other blogs have been saying.

Thanks to MikeWill again for mentioning it's already on majorgeeks.com for download.

Assuming you installed Magician after download just open Magician and look at the Rapid Mode selection. Unless you had an earlier version loaded and had turned Rapid Mode on in that earlier version (when upgrading to a newer version settings are maintained), Rapid Mode is turned off by default. I don't expect you will be able to turn it on under Win 10...the Rapid Mode activation button will be greyed out and you'll see a short remark there was a problem in identifying the OS. Otherwise all the other features of Magician work.

Just for a laugh I thought I'd upgrade my dual booting XP/Win7 Netbook to XP/Win10.

First I made Win7 the default O/S, just in case Win10 took note of the BCD - boot configuration data - during the upgrade and accidentally booted XP instead of Win10. Then I clicked on the Upgrade button and away it went, starting at 10pm.

And here I am at 12:30 am running a dual booting XP/Win10 Netbook! biggrin.png

It's currently booting up XP because I clicked on the NeoSmart "iReboot" icon on the Win10 taskbar and selected XP. For some reason I thought that maybe it wouldn't boot XP. What a doubting Thomas I am.

So having started XP OK, I'll select Windows 10 from the "iReboot" menu (surprised that it actually says "Windows 10"), and it is now running Win10, with a picture of a scene looking out from a cave and a huge time and date overlaid. Now I've logged in and my normal desktop is there.

So far, no pain. But then, I haven't really done anything with it yet! biggrin.png

Just for a laugh I thought I'd upgrade my dual booting XP/Win7 Netbook to XP/Win10.

First I made Win7 the default O/S, just in case Win10 took note of the BCD - boot configuration data - during the upgrade and accidentally booted XP instead of Win10. Then I clicked on the Upgrade button and away it went, starting at 10pm.

It's currently booting up XP because I clicked on the NeoSmart "iReboot" icon on the Win10 taskbar and selected XP. For some reason I thought that maybe it wouldn't boot XP. What a doubting Thomas I am.

So having started XP OK, I'll select Windows 10 from the "iReboot" menu (surprised that it actually says "Windows 10"), and it is now running Win10, with a picture of a scene looking out from a cave and a huge time and date overlaid. Now I've logged in and my normal desktop is there.

So far, no pain. But then, I haven't really done anything with it yet! biggrin.png

I've tried dual boot Window 7/8.1. I had too much weird stuff going on so gave it up. I think it's better to keep things simple.

I've tried dual boot Window 7/8.1. I had too much weird stuff going on so gave it up. I think it's better to keep things simple.

Heh, heh! I know what you mean smile.png

But I've now just added Windows 7 to my Laptop to make it dual booting with XP biggrin.png . Waiting for the "Get Windows 10" icon to appear on the task bar and then I'll upgrade that as well.

Then, one day, maybe, I might even do the same with my main Desktop PC. Possibly. smile.png

It is now widely known that any activated version of Win7/8/81 can be upgraded to an activated Win10 irrespective of the method used to attain activation on the original installation. It is too easy and to me it looks like MS would rather have all devices on board with Win10 regardless of their pedigree.

I guess the issue is, when people go out and get Thai PC shops to install 200-500b versions of Windows on their PCs, AFAIK, those versions aren't "activated." By activated, I presume you mean someone has entered in a valid license key code for that installation and it's been recognized by MS.

I certainly could be wrong. But I guess I'm not following how the typical Thai PC shop Windows installs could be upgraded to legitimate Windows 10 installations under MS's rules.

All of my Windows installs at home are legitimate, licensed official versions. No gray market stuff from Thai PC shops. But it would be interesting to hear from anyone who has the Thai install gray market Windows versions on their PC/s whether they've been able to do the free Windows 10 upgrade off of those versions. I don't recall reading any posts here from people describing having done that.

I have done exactly that, laptops I've upgraded had "Thai" windows 7 ultimate 100thb edition

All went fine, now on legit win 10 Pro

I'm sure m$ will find a way to monetize it AFTER everyone is on board and can't be bothered to downgrade again etc...

Thanks to some clever nerds it is now possible to do a clean install of Windows 10 completely bypassing the need to go through the upgrade process. Apart from saving a lot of time it should be helpful to those that have problems with the "get windows 10" thing, a dodgy internet connection or have issues during the upgrade process.

There have been all kind of media stories about Microsoft delving into your Win7/8/8.1 installation during the upgrade but this demonstrates that qualifying for the free upgrade is a remarkably simple process and doesn't even require an internet connection until the end when you activate your new Win 10.

You still need to have an activated installation of Win7/8/8.1 before you start so this has nothing to do with piracy. But there is no need to install any updates. You don't even need to install drivers. The only prerequisite is that the installation you are using to qualify is activated.

You can create USB install media using a version appropriate to your system here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then follow these steps precisely;

1 - From your Win10 install media locate the file gatherosstate.exe in the /Sources folder and copy it to C:\ of your Win7/8/8.1 system

2 - From an admin command prompt run gatherosstate.exe. That will immediately create a file called GenuineTicket.xml. Save this file to e.g. a USB drive.

3 - Do a clean install of Win10. Skip product key and skip connecting to WiFI. This is important. Do NOT go online throughout the install.

4 - After install reboot. Copy GenuineTicket.xml to C:\programdata\microsoft\windows\clipsvc\genuineticket\. Reboot again.

5 - Go online and Win10 should now activate.

You're done and your machines unique HWID is now stored on the MS activation servers.

In the last few days several forums have listed variations on the above process. Some didn't work for me and some extra steps proved unnecessary but I have now installed from 2 Win7 machines and 1 Win8.1 and the above process is precisely what did work for me. I haven't tried it with Win8 but don't suppose that is any different.

I've been tweaking the Win10 installation on my Netbook using "Winaero Tweaker".

I Googled it for any malware connections but, even though the author is Russian rolleyes.gif, it does appear to be genuine. biggrin.png

It certainly has a lot of tweaks in it that are easily applied rather than going through the usual Desktop/Folder Properties/Themes or Registry routes. All the effects so far have worked fine.

(Still waiting for my Laptop to finish downloading its Windows 10, so I can dual boot it, too smile.png)

I've been tweaking the Win10 installation on my Netbook using "Winaero Tweaker".

I Googled it for any malware connections but, even though the author is Russian rolleyes.gif, it does appear to be genuine. biggrin.png

It certainly has a lot of tweaks in it that are easily applied rather than going through the usual Desktop/Folder Properties/Themes or Registry routes. All the effects so far have worked fine.

(Still waiting for my Laptop to finish downloading its Windows 10, so I can dual boot it, too smile.png)

If you haven't time to waste tweaking there's a 1 click fix that disables 37 potentially "spying" features of win 10

http://techfrag.com/2015/08/07/new-tool-lets-you-fix-37-windows-10-privacy-issues-with-just-one-click/