What visa am I eligible for?

Hi guys, I've got a tricky one here.

I'm looking to come back to Thailand for a decent spell of time (Chiang Mai) as it seems near impossible for my girlfriend to join me in either Australia or the UK.

I don't particularly want to teach English and ive just heard from some teacher friends that those without degrees are having their contracts cancelled anyway! (That would have been me). So is it possible for me to start a business with my girlfriend and get a business visa? We're thinking selling tours/treks etc that is what my Thai girlfriend does.

Or

Assuming ive got the capital, could I buy a few condos and rent them out for monthly income, therefore running a business and get the appropriate visa/ work permit?

Or could I apply for some kind of student visa and study Thai language or something like that?

Any ideas or opinion on this one would be great.

Thanks

Renting condos is not in a sense a business to run 1 correctly you have to have a certain amount of thai staff employed or commonly have none employed but these are guarantors who you then pay as in backhanders to.

Won't get you a visa though.

Marry her

Or

Get her pregnant

Or

Get 50 years of age

Or

Get in school

Or

Get a job

Or

Hand over some cash for an elite visa.

How does it work for Visa - getting getting girl friend pregnant?

• Like 1

Won't get you a visa though.

Marry her

Or

Get her pregnant

Or

Get 50 years of age

Or

Get in school

Or

Get a job

Or

Hand over some cash for an elite visa.

How does it work for Visa - getting getting girl friend pregnant?
non imm based on dependant child.

It is not difficult for your girlfriend to join you in Australia for a holiday.

Tourist visas aren't hard to get.

But you do need to be able to meet certain requirements - being able to prove you have an income to support her, that you have a fixed abode etc and guaranteeing she will return to Thailand when the visa expires.

I did it many times with my, now, wife.

I would go to Thailand for Christmas, she would get a 3 month visa, we would return for Songkran and she would get another tourist visa. Not hard to spend 7 months or so together.

Obviously there is a cost involved - airfares back and forth - but for someone who can afford to "buy a few condos" this shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by Mudcrab
  • Like 1

If you can afford to "buy a few condos" you should serious look at the Thai Elite visa. That will give you a lot of flexibility and not tie you down with marriage or, worse yet, a child, if the relationship doesn't work out. Ditto for buying condos and trying to rent them out in Chiang Mai. Seems to be a glut of condos and many sitting empty in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

I can see where your coming from regarding the elite visa, however in my eyes that seems like kissing goodbye to a fair bit of money without getting a financial return. When I say a few condos I should have said 'a few very cheap rentable condos' by the way...and its an income (or part of an income) and hopefully il get at least my money back somewhere down the line...

I'm thinking this is turning into a more business based discussion so I should probably head over there.

Thanks for the information and advice guys