Is 2G being switched off?

VBF

Can someone clarify this for me?

Are old sim cards 2G, and you need to go into a shop and get a new 3G sim card.

Or, are old phones 2G and they will no longer work when they cut off 2G?

Or, is it both of the above?

What about all these cheap new phones they sell at 7/11 and Family Marts for 1000 baht? They are simple talk and text phones. Aren't they all 2G phones?

If you read my post #5 above, you will see that at least in one case, it was not necessary to buy a new SIM card, merely put it in a new 3G capable phone, and enter the correct settings, and it works fine for 3G services.

Ok. I've done that and the little 3G symbol comes up, so hopefully the sim cards I have will be fine.

I have an old DTAC Air Card USB dongle that one of the sim cards is in. I only keep it for emergency internet.

Is there any way to find out if the dongle itself a 2G receiver or 3G receiver?

I have an old DTAC Air Card USB dongle that one of the sim cards is in. I only keep it for emergency internet.

How old is the SIM? Maybe best to replace it with a new Tri-NET SIM?

Do you have any identifying information on the aircard? Maybe in the software, UI, package or where you snap in the SIM?

If it's more than say 3 years old, it may be a 2G-only aircard? Or it may support 850/3G but not 2100/3G?

In general I recommend ALWAYS getting a new SIM. Some SIMs might support 850 MHz/3G (from DTAC and TrueMove H/CAT), but unless they are newer they will NOT support 3G/21000, or 4G/2100.

Edited by bamnutsak

How old is the SIM? Maybe best to replace it with a new Tri-NET SIM?

Do you have any identifying information on the aircard? Maybe in the software, UI, package or where you snap in the SIM?

If it's more than say 3 years old, it may be a 2G-only aircard? Or it may support 850/3G but not 2100/3G?

In general I recommend ALWAYS getting a new SIM. Some SIMs might support 850 MHz/3G (from DTAC and TrueMove H/CAT), but unless they are newer they will NOT support 3G/21000, or 4G/2100.

It's a "DTAC Aircard Wave 153. HSPDA USB modem."

I took the sim card out of it and put it in a new phone. The 3G symbol came up, so I think the sim card will be ok for 3G.

I googled it and most information is in Thai, but I found this old thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/522891-dtac-wave-aircard-not-3g-compatible/

If I wasn't confused before, I am now.

It is old, but works fine. Like most tech, it eventually becomes redundant.

I think I will just take the USB dongle, the 2 sim cards and my passport to a DTAC shop and upgrade the lot.

Anyway, some other members may have to consider that not only their phone and sim card might need to be upgraded but any portable USB internet dongle they have as well.

Edited by KhunHeineken

I think the sim card will be ok for 3G

Yes, it looks like this aircard supports 3G/2100 MHz (in addition to 2G frequencies like 1800 MHz).

So with a new DTAC Tri-NET SIM (may not be absolutely required but always advisable ) and a subscription to a 3G-capable (most are but some have caps at 384 Kbps, esp. time-based plans) mobile data plan, and coverage, it should work quite well.

Some service-provider branded aircards may be locked to that provider, but often they can be un-locked, with a bit persuasion.

Of course as I am getting data download via my SIM card, it is of course connected to the AIS 3G network. I don't need to test this fact when I'm actually using it!

Add: Thanks for the offer to help though! I have checked my phone and under networks, it detects AIS 3G, and when I click on this it says "registered to network" . Additionally my MNC number is form my apn point is listed on my phone as' 03 ', which I thought was AIS 2100Mhz.

But if it stops working on 30th September I'll certainly get back to you!

Edited by Rimmer

Harry - No, that's not a problem. Despite being in UK, I just used my Thai phone to successfully call my UK one - it's presently 16:30 Thai Time on 1st August and calling and roaming are working.

I doubt that any block on outgoing calls will be extended to int'l roaming partners, at least not any time soon. Not even sure if that can be implemented?

Plenty of challenges in implementing a network-wide service blockage.

Still no way for MVNO customers to register; ~ 500,000.

Still no way for foreign roamers in Thailand to register; all those business folks/diplomats/VIPs coming to Thailand to work - not being able to make calls may be viewed negatively?

I infer that it must be registered

Do you remember registering it? When? I think this effort was launched ~ January, 2015. You could just email AIS and ask? I'm not sure *151# will work when roaming outside of Thailand?

That's what I said in my OP!!!!! The SIM (and hence the number) is registered and i can log in to the AIS site and see the ownership details, balance etc.

I did this just yesterday, therefore I KNOW it's registered with AIS - the inference was merely that the registration seemed to have made it to the government database!!

I realise it's bad form to reply to one's OP but I've another, related question to pose:

Ignoring for the moment, my Thai phone but, related to my UK (Vodafone) one which is 2G only

Previously, I’ve brought this to Thailand and it’s roamed onto AIS, True, DTAC, GSM 1800 or whatever.

What is the likelihood of THIS phone continuing to roam when I next bring it to Thailand?

If 2G is switched off them what happens?

Anyone any thoughts on this?

Additionally my MNC number is form my apn point is listed on my phone as' 03 ', which I thought was AIS 2100Mhz.

Yes, 520-03 is AIS 3G (2100 MHz). 520-01 is the old AIS GSM900 (TH GSM) network.

What is the likelihood of THIS phone continuing to roam when I next bring it to Thailand?

Can you share any details re: the exact make/brand/model and/or specs? Assume it is unlocked? If it supports GSM1800 then it would work with DTAC, possibly until 2018. If it supports GSM900 only then it will work with AIS until 30 Sep 2015.

Edited by bamnutsak

Additionally my MNC number is form my apn point is listed on my phone as' 03 ', which I thought was AIS 2100Mhz.

Yes, 520-03 is AIS 3G (2100 MHz). 520-01 is the old AIS GSM900 (TH GSM) network.

Can you share any details re: the exact make/brand/model and/or specs? Assume it is unlocked? If it supports GSM1800 then it would work with DTAC, possibly until 2018. If it supports GSM900 only then it will work with AIS until 30 Sep 2015.

Thanks for that - it's a basic Nokia 100, the manual says

Network services and costs:
Your device is approved for use on the EGSM
900 and 1800 MHz networks.
which is confirmed on several websites.
Only problem is that for some reason it wouldn't successfully roam to DTAC last time i was in Thailand. So at least in theory, it's possible - I'll have to check if my SIM supports 3G I suppose in case i end up buying a new phone.

Only problem is that for some reason it wouldn't successfully roam to DTAC

Well it would work if you had a DTAC SIM, in case that wasn't obvious.

Now it sounds like you are asking if Vodafone UK have an international roaming agreement with DTAC in Thailand? Is that the gist of it? Check with Vodafone UK. Chances are that they at least one partner here, but it may not be DTAC. If it's AIS, then you'll be OK until the end of September, with your Nokia 100.

Edited by bamnutsak

Only problem is that for some reason it wouldn't successfully roam to DTAC last time i was in Thailand. So at least in theory, it's possible - I'll have to check if my SIM supports 3G I suppose in case i end up buying a new phone.

To check for AIS whether your phone supports 3G dial * 571 # and it will send you an SMS telling you.

To check if your current SIM card can be upgraded to support AIS 3G dial * 570 # and it will also SMS you.

Edited by partington

Only problem is that for some reason it wouldn't successfully roam to DTAC

Well it would work if you had a DTAC SIM, in case that wasn't obvious.

Now it sounds like you are asking if Vodafone UK have an international roaming agreement with DTAC in Thailand? Is that the gist of it? Check with Vodafone UK. Chances are that they at least one partner here, but it may not be DTAC. If it's AIS, then you'll be OK until the end of September, with your Nokia 100.

That was how I thought it would be - thanks bammnutsak thumbsup.gif

To check for AIS whether your phone supports 3G dial * 571 # and it will send you an SMS telling you.

To check if your current SIM card can be upgraded to support AIS 3G dial * 570 # and it will also SMS you.

That would only work if I was in Thailand, connected to AIS, but as I said in my OP I'm in UK and connected to Voda! Chicken and egg I'm afraid

That would only work if I was in Thailand, connected to AIS, but as I said in my OP I'm in UK and connected to Voda! Chicken and egg I'm afraid

OK fair enough! Hopefully that info still might be useful for someone who's here ...

If you put a sim card in a new model phone and the "3G" symbol comes up near the signal strength, is that the phone receiving a 3G signal, or the sim card telling the phone to display the 3G symbol because it's a 3G sim card?

I have never sen a "2G" symbol.

Is there anyway to tell if a sim card is a 3G sim card?

The 'symbols' are determined by the phone firmware. Some will display '4G' even though it's not an LTE phone. Marketing Trick.

But if the phone displays "3G", "H" or "H+" then it's a good indication that you're locked onto a 3G signal (UMTS/WCDMA/HSPA).

The 'symbols' are determined by the phone firmware. Some will display '4G' even though it's not an LTE phone. Marketing Trick.

But if the phone displays "3G", "H" or "H+" then it's a good indication that you're locked onto a 3G signal (UMTS/WCDMA/HSPA).

I'm just trying to prepare for when I go into a DTAC shop.

For sure, the first thing the staff will do is put my sim cards in a phone and say, "No poplem. Hab 3G." :)

If the sim cards are old, which mine are, and work in 2G phones, and modern smart phones, where I see the 3G symbol appear, how will the staff test the sim card?

Does any member know the process of upgrading, or replacing a lost or broken sim card? I might just request 2 new sim cards anyway.

Also, can any member recommend a good DTAC USB internet dongle? I might just upgrade that as well.

I'm just trying to prepare for when I go into a DTAC shop.

If the sim cards are old, which mine are, and work in 2G phones, and modern smart phones, where I see the 3G symbol appear, how will the staff test the sim card?

Does any member know the process of upgrading, or replacing a lost or broken sim card? I might just request 2 new sim cards anyway.

SIM cards can be tested or swapped-out at official mobile operator/carrier stores.

In my area, DTAC has a office/store inside Central mall.

Sometimes the staff can tell the age and capabilities of a SIM package just by looking at surface graphics (they update the graphics every so often). Other times they take the SIM and place it into a reader. Certain types of SIMs can't be updated with new network connection information and will be swapped out for newer SIMs.

SIM cards contain, along with the SIM ID, network access data, customer contacts and SMS text. Be sure you or the staff copy any Contacts stored on the SIM before swapping it out. When the staff swap out a SIM they record the unique SIM ID and assign that to the billing account associated with your telephone number.

You give them the SIM, the phone number it belongs to, your Thai ID or Foreign Passport associated with the billing account, and if it all checks out the staff grab a new SIM, add the new SIM ID into your billing account, then hand you the new SIM (sometimes at no fee, especially if going from 2G to 3G or LTE functionality). If you are a DATA Internet user they will also verify the APN info on your phone is correct for the network.

No other tests are done.

While still near the DTAC shop you should verify you have access to your contacts list, can make and receive phone calls, can get on the 'net (if you have an active subscription), and view your account balance to be sure all is in order.

If you put a SIM into a new 3G/LTE phone and you DON'T have an active subscription to the Internet then make sure you DISABLE Mobile Data. Otherwise you may be shocked to learn how crack/yaba thieving your new 3G phone can be with account balance.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a few minutes to send DTAC an email.

I receieved the below reply. It's a typical Thai open ended response. :)

"Dear customer,

According to your inquiry, please kindly be informed that we still provide 2G/3G/4G service,

don't worry about this. Anyway, please kindly be informed that you can upgrade your sim card

to dtac TriNet by contacting any dtac hall/center with your sim card and passport."