Man stabs several people at Jerusalem gay pride parade

webfact

Man stabs several people at Jerusalem gay pride parade
By MIRIAM BERGER

JERUSALEM (AP) — Revelers dancing and singing through the streets of Jerusalem during the holy city's annual gay pride parade were left shrieking in pain and panic Thursday night, as an anti-gay extremist lunged into a group leading the march and stabbed six people, Israeli police and witnesses said.

Police said the attacker, Yishai Schlissel, who was arrested at the scene for Thursday's attack, had been released from prison just three weeks ago, after serving a sentence for stabbing several people at the parade in 2005.

Six people were wounded in the attack, two of them seriously, Eli Bin of Israel's emergency service said.

The Gay Pride Parade was proceeding as planned with party music, Israeli flags and rainbow-clad marchers wending their way through central Jerusalem's barricaded streets, under a heavy police presence.

An Associated Press photographer witnessed the attacker enter the throng of people with his hand in his coat and within seconds raise a knife and begin stabbing people in the back. Police pounced on him and arrested him.

The crowd's carefree cheers suddenly gave way to screams. Panic ensued, and a bloody woman fell to the ground, an Associated Press photographer at the scene said.

A man with blood seeping from his back wandered around with a dazed look before collapsing. Another man with his shirt off also had blood dripping down his back. Medics quickly surrounded them both and applied pressure to stop the bleeding.

Shocked revelers, some in tears, gathered along the sidewalk and hugged and comforted each other as ambulances and police on horses quickly arrived.

While the attack caused shock, it was not unprecedented: Schlissel was convicted of a similar stabbing attack that wounded several people at a gay pride parade in Jerusalem a decade ago.

On Thursday, media reports said that Schlissel hid in a nearby supermarket and jumped out to attack the march when it passed nearby.

Jerusalem police spokesman Asi Ahroni said there was a "massive presence" of police securing the parade but "unfortunately the man managed to pull out a knife and attack."

A medic that treated the wounded at the scene, Hanoch Zelinger, said one woman was stabbed in the back, chest and neck, and was lying unconscious on the ground.

Shaarei Tzedek Hospital said it was treating two victims with stab wounds, a man who was in serious condition and a woman in critical condition, both in their 20s.

The parade continued after the wounded were taken for treatment, but in a far more somber atmosphere. Media reported that thousands of Jerusalem residents who had not initially participated in the parade joined in after the attack in solidarity.

"I do think that homophobia is rooted in the city, but that's the point of the parade," said Benny Zupick, 21, shortly after the attack. "We are trying to change that. And hopefully we will change that. It takes one man to create a scene like this. Hopefully he's a minority."

Condemnations of the attack poured in from the heads of Israel's ultra-Orthodox parties, along with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon and others across the Israeli political spectrum.

President Reuven Rivlin called the attack a "terrible hate crime."

"People celebrating their freedom and expressing their identity were viciously stabbed. We must not be deluded; a lack of tolerance will lead us to disaster. We cannot allow such crimes, and we must condemn those who commit and support them," Rivlin said.

Just a few thousand people usually attend the parade in Jerusalem, known for its rich religious history and tradition. A majority of Jerusalem's residents are observant Jews, Muslims or Christians, conservative communities whose members mostly frown on homosexuality. Previous parades in the holy city have drawn opposition.

Jerusalem's parade is much smaller and more restrained than the annual gay pride march in the secular Tel Aviv, which was attended by some 100,000 revelers last month. Tel Aviv has emerged as one of the world's most gay-friendly travel destinations recently. The Israeli city stands in sharp contrast to most of the rest of the Middle East, where gays are persecuted or even killed in some places.

Gays serve openly in Israel's military and parliament, and many popular artists and entertainers are gay, but gays still face hostility from some ultra-conservative religious communities.

Israel's Channel 2 TV aired an interview that Schlissel gave to an ultra-Orthodox Jewish site recently where he spoke out against the gay parade taking place in Jerusalem. His remarks were an eerie prelude to Thursday's attack.

"The struggle isn't over and the un-pure want to contaminate Jerusalem," he said. "They want to contaminate the people of Israel."
___

AP writer Ian Deitch contributed.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-07-31

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The timing of his release was idiotic in the extreme unless law restrictions meant he 'couldn't' be held longer till 'after' the event. It essentially handed him a -"10 year anniversary event" (you know, "for old time's sake).

And some claim Israel is a Police State? Despite surface 'appearances', an almost southern European laid back laxness tends to be under that veneer.

Some here have claimed that Israel is a democracy in which homosexuals live safely amongst a moderate society. :-?

Not a word of that description of Israel is accurate.

It is a LOT more accurate than any of the Muslim countries surrounding it, but any excuse to hate. rolleyes.gif

Some here have claimed that Israel is a democracy in which homosexuals live safely amongst a moderate society. :-?

It is a LOT more accurate than any of the Muslim countries surrounding it, but any excuse to hate. rolleyes.gif
Sorry, trying to find where this has anything to do with muslims. Perhaps I missed it.

But it does say a lot about Israel when you are forced to lower expectations so much that all you have got is to compare it to extremist muslim areas. Not really a high hurdle to overcomebut does indicate how low Israel sets the bar.

Reminds me of the but but but Thaksin brigade

Edited by Linky

BBC have an article on it, and it seens he is another Haredi wacko.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-33726634

What a tremendous breakdown / failure of communication.

Now - all in black, bushy beard, bespectacled due to years of shuckling and highly vitamin D deficient, admittedly he could be any number of such characters shuttling along at high speed in Jerusalem trying to avoid daylight and filthy sinners en route, but his waltz into tbe crowd is rather like allowing Westboro Baptist Church characters to mingle among a military funeral instead of keeping then confined to a certain area for their protest, as U.S authorities do. Either a shocking failure of communication between authorities, or dare I say it, a rat can be smelled.

Sorry, trying to find where this has anything to do with muslims. Perhaps I missed it.

But it does say a lot about Israel when you are forced to lower expectations so much that all you have got is to compare it to extremist muslim areas. Not really a high hurdle to overcomebut does indicate how low Israel sets the bar.

Ummmh...racist much?

I will give you that you tried to soften your stance with "extremist" (but is there any Muslim country where one can live an openly gay life?) but the implication that it is to be accepted and tolerated due to their faith is looming large in your post.

And you understand that this was a gay pride parade, a small one compared to Tel Aviv, with government protection that a "lone wolf" attacked?

Hypocritical as well. Both of these posters spend most of their time on this forum attacking Israel and trying to make justifications for the behavior for radical Muslims. All of a sudden they see Islam for what it is? giggle.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.

"Gay Pride", "expressing their identity". Both expressions of political correctness that do little if anything to change the actual facts.

These people are indeed different from the norm but why do they have to have parades to celebrate their deviance.

Not so many years ago it was public toilets that individuals used to "express their identity",now it is masses marching through the city centers. Liberal progressive thinking and it's effect on society.

"Gay Pride", "expressing their identity". Both expressions of political correctness that do little if anything to change the actual facts.

These people are indeed different from the norm but why do they have to have parades to celebrate their deviance.

Not so many years ago it was public toilets that individuals used to "express their identity",now it is masses marching through the city centers. Liberal progressive thinking and it's effect on society.

Well, you're certainly entitled to express such a regressive and bigoted POV, but we do draw the line at stabbing, at least in civilized nations and Israel is such a nation. In the context of Israel of course religiously oriented Jerusalem tends to be much more conservative on social issues such as gay rights compared to much more secular TEL AVIV where the real party happens.

To add, it was obviously a huge mistake that the stabber ever saw freedom after his last stabbing. Was there a bias towards him in the legal system that allowed his release? That wouldn't surprise me at all if there was. Lessons should be learned if that's the case.

Edited by Jingthing

Ummmh...racist much?

I will give you that you tried to soften your stance with "extremist" (but is there any Muslim country where one can live an openly gay life?) but the implication that it is to be accepted and tolerated due to their faith is looming large in your post.

And you understand that this was a gay pride parade, a small one compared to Tel Aviv, with government protection that a "lone wolf" attacked?

I believe Turkey has no laws against homosexuality, but that is starting to go off-topic.

Most "Gay Pride" and other LGBT demonstrations are not only organised to express their identity.

Many participants in these demonstrations are friends and family members who support their beloved.

I see the LGBT community as not different from the norm. Their acts in private and public can perhaps be out of the norm.

Making such a demonstration in the holy city of Jerusalem in 2015 breaks also many taboos. Unfortunately, the attack in OP wasn't the only one : many others happened during such demonstrations: 2009, 2013,...

Those are facts are typical for young countries with a high diversity population with a religions dominance.

Ummmh...racist much?

I believe Turkey has no laws against homosexuality, but that is starting to go off-topic.

Turkey is not a Muslim state since 1924. Later, in 1937, Attaturk made it a secular state.

Even so, 98% of Turks, are from Muslim origin, but not all practicing. Edited by Scott

Indeed I fully expect gay Israeli Arabs to patronize the Gaza Strip pride march next year. P.s A score of people could have been murdered in any other Country in the world at a similar parade and you and our other esteemed members would have written squat all about it.

I am not anti gay ,but I regard their parades as a bloody nuisance ,just like the Cycle Nutters protests in any City.

It's hardly an everyday thing and they don't even have them in Thailand.

They have different meanings in different countries and even in different cities in the same countries.

These days they are often just a big party but in some places they are very politically charged because of occurring in extremely anti-gay locales, such as Russia.

This parade is fully legal in Jerusalem and being protected but apparently not well enough.

Still it seems you have to be at least a little bit brave to attend in Jerusalem.

Next ...

Edited by Jingthing

I am amused.

No, no, - do not take me wrong, not by the stabbings! Absolutely wrong, extreme and excessive act!

I am amused by Linky (post#7) ... " trying to find where this has anything to do with muslims. Perhaps I missed it."

yet in the same post ... "Reminds me of the but but but Thaksin brigade"...

whereas Thaksin is much more remote to both - gay parade and Jerusalem - than, say, Muslims. tongue.png

I am also amused by the fact that the perpetrator ..."was arrested at the scene for Thursday's attack, had been released from prison just three weeks ago, after serving a sentence for stabbing several people at the parade in 2005". Proves that 'persevere and you will succeed'. biggrin.png

I am amused by some people seeing this unfortunate case of fanaticism as HATE! crime. Not knowing much of Israeli prisons, - the guy could (?) have had a personal grudge against gay homosexuals? Before during or after prison? biggrin.png

And finally, I'm amused by the mere fact that gays, lesbians and all sorts of deviations should be running "Parades" instead of enjoying their freedom in their bedroom. coffee1.gif

Note. Before I am bombed out of existence by any opponent:

- I'm not anti- anything;

- I just believe that privacy should be kept private;

- The gay&lesbian parades are very colourful;

- They all however natural are deviants, or the species would not exist;

- Please, no references to dogs. I am not a dog.

Indeed I fully expect gay Israeli Arabs to patronize the Gaza Strip pride march next year. P.s A score of people could have been murdered in any other Country in the world at a similar parade and you and our other esteemed members would have written squat all about it.

For obsessive Israel demonizers anything connected to Israel is another chance for them to trash the entire civilization of Israel.

Ummmh...racist much?

Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon it is no illegal.

But you do ask about openly accepted and that is not the same. In many western countries and in parts of some western liberal countries it is still not openly accepted.

I am amused.

No, no, - do not take me wrong, not by the stabbings! Absolutely wrong, extreme and excessive act!

I am amused by Linky (post#7) ... " trying to find where this has anything to do with muslims. Perhaps I missed it."

yet in the same post ... "Reminds me of the but but but Thaksin brigade"...

whereas Thaksin is much more remote to both - gay parade and Jerusalem - than, say, Muslims. tongue.png

I am also amused by the fact that the perpetrator ..."was arrested at the scene for Thursday's attack, had been released from prison just three weeks ago, after serving a sentence for stabbing several people at the parade in 2005". Proves that 'persevere and you will succeed'. biggrin.png

I am amused by some people seeing this unfortunate case of fanaticism as HATE! crime. Not knowing much of Israeli prisons, - the guy could (?) have had a personal grudge against gay homosexuals? Before during or after prison? biggrin.png

And finally, I'm amused by the mere fact that gays, lesbians and all sorts of deviations should be running "Parades" instead of enjoying their freedom in their bedroom. coffee1.gif

Note. Before I am bombed out of existence by any opponent:

- I'm not anti- anything;

- I just believe that privacy should be kept private;

- The gay&lesbian parades are very colourful;

- They all however natural are deviants, or the species would not exist;

- Please, no references to dogs. I am not a dog.

Woof, only joking.

I dont mind it when a minority have a parade to celebrate. Its their business and I'm sure if I was a minority and had to basically sneak around due to my sexuality I would also appreciate a day where I could celebrate and be open.

It doesnt bother me either way and if I am slightly inconvenience for a few hours so that a minority who have felt abused and held fear about thei sexuality for years can celebrate and have a bit of fun I wont begrudge them.

I am not anti gay ,but I regard their parades as a bloody nuisance ,just like the Cycle Nutters protests in any City.

It's hardly an everyday thing and they don't even have them in Thailand.

They have different meanings in different countries and even in different cities in the same countries.

These days they are often just a big party but in some places they are very politically charged because of occurring in extremely anti-gay locales, such as Russia.

This parade is fully legal in Jerusalem and being protected but apparently not well enough.

Still it seems you have to be at least a little bit brave to attend in Jerusalem.

Next ...

I fully support people's choices in their personal lives...but put gay pride parades up their with religion and penises. It's fine you have it and it's fine that you are proud of it...but it doesn't belong in the street or shoved down kids' throats. For any of them. I.E. a gay person's right to not be made to feel uncomfortable extends to the point where it infringes on someone else's rights. It goes the other way also. Can you tell I'm from the get along and don't offend Midwest?

It is interesting to note that the Israeli reaction to this hideous act is wall to wall condemnation. There is no attempt to blame anyone else for it, no dancing in the streets handing out sweets and no road or square will be named after the attacker, I wonder whether any of our esteemed members have noticed this?

Unfortunately there are crazy homophobic nutters like the perpetrator all over the place. Their views are less mainstream and less tolerated than they were previously, but they're still about. Equally unfortunately all you need do is take the polish off a turd and you'll find a commonality of sentiment with the nutter in lots of places. Good on Israel and Israeli's for coming out in condemnation of the assassin.

Edited by Neurath

It is interesting to note that the Israeli reaction to this hideous act is wall to wall condemnation. There is no attempt to blame anyone else for it, no dancing in the streets handing out sweets and no road or square will be named after the attacker, I wonder whether any of our esteemed members have noticed this?

Indeed. And the police on duty there took swift action and arrested the attacker.

Every country has it's share of nutters who hate something enough to attack it.

Here at least, there aren't any PC liberal do-gooder types standing up for an outrageous attack by someone who clearly has severe mental issues.

Indeed. And the police on duty there took swift action and arrested the attacker.

Every country has it's share of nutters who hate something enough to attack it.

Here at least, there aren't any PC liberal do-gooder types standing up for an outrageous attack by someone who clearly has severe mental issues.

It would be a little weird wouldn't it - a PC Liberal do-gooder standing up for a Jewish religious zealot's attack on Gay Pride parade. I suppose stranger things have happened.