Vocabulary chart teaches children that dark skin is 'ugly'

webfact

People often call fighting discrimination being "PC" because they don't want their own unearned privileges challenged.

DaShanne Stokes

I'm not fighting discrimination, i just find the artificial earnest approach that many take here amusing. As farang we get discriminated against now and again, doesn't bother me. If my Thai/British son was discriminated against for being luk krueng i'm sure that would annoy me but i cant be by his side all day long and he would have to deal with it, the world isn't fair, accept it, bending with the wind is far easier.

Nothing artificial about how I feel about racism and bigotry.

Would not call it indignation either, more like contempt.

You should get a hobby, open a center for victims of discrimination instead of getting angry about it, the center would probably fill up with farangs or farmers from Isaan.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In deeply Christian Uganda or many Muslim- countries, they punish people for being gay!

It is their country and their culture, therefore we all should look the other way, right!?

This is Thailand...and morally wrong is morally wrong!

Next time you get your Visa lengthened mention your disgust to the immigration officer.

I have no problem with people questioning the sensitivity or ignorance in using the photo but to call it racist is both ignorant and comical considering the people screaming racism have no issue painting an entire group such as Thais in a negative way.

People who are claiming racism seem to either be racist or bigoted them selves or simply don't understand different cultures. If they were in a restaurant in their home country they would be shocked to hear a racist say, "that food is for the Asian guy over there" but here it is okay to state the obvious such as pointing out the food is for a "farang" in an otherwise crowded restaurant of asian. There is nothing racist about pointing out the obvious and nothing racist in using a word in Thai that described white foreigners. It certainly can be insensitive to somebody who feels insecure about who they are and even be surprising to people who don't understand or have not spent the time to learn the culture but it is not racist.

The picture is wrong and was a mistake in my opinion but it is not inaccurate. Although the dark skin was not the only thing making the photo ugly, it added to it. Regardless of what traits, the person in the photo had that made this generally considered an ugly person, they could have substituted a pike or rotting garbage or something else that would be less damaging to young people's self view or reinforce social views on attraction. Then again, it is not unhealthy in my opinion for people to have a realistic view of how others may perceive their looks but kids change and ugly ones can grow up to be attractive and regardless, not something they need to be considering at this age.

Bottom line, somebody didn't put a lot of thought into something and it took a while before people pointed it out. Happens every day all over the world including with large companies with huge marketing budgets.

Happens every day all over the world including with large companies with huge marketing budgets.

1) Not aware of any kids that go to large companies to learn english vocab.

2) This is the first time I have heard this kinda thing happen. Ever! and I am no spring chicken.

3) No one has posted any evidence of this kind of thing happen in Thailand OR another part of the world.

4) Even if it had happened, the only way to counter racism (and other social ills like corruption and nepotism) is to act resolutely against it. Not be oblivious of it.

Edited by meltingpot2015

People often call fighting discrimination being "PC" because they don't want their own unearned privileges challenged.

DaShanne Stokes

I'm not fighting discrimination, i just find the artificial earnest approach that many take here amusing. As farang we get discriminated against now and again, doesn't bother me. If my Thai/British son was discriminated against for being luk krueng i'm sure that would annoy me but i cant be by his side all day long and he would have to deal with it, the world isn't fair, accept it, bending with the wind is far easier.
Nothing artificial about how I feel about racism and bigotry.

Would not call it indignation either, more like contempt.

You should get a hobby, open a center for victims of discrimination instead of getting angry about it, the center would probably fill up with farangs or farmers from Isaan.

No need. I am free to express my contempt for bigotry anytime any place any where.

Is it even clear that this vocabulary chart has ever made it into a Thai classroom?

To all of you sudden converts to political correctness in order to jump on the Thai-bashing bandwagon:

What a bunch of hypocrites!

You don't need to be PC to know racism is wrong. It just is.

Pointing this out isn't Thai bashing. It's just pointing out that racism is wrong.

In deeply Christian Uganda or many Muslim- countries, they punish people for being gay!

It is their country and their culture, therefore we all should look the other way, right!?

This is Thailand...and morally wrong is morally wrong!

Next time you get your Visa lengthened mention your disgust to the immigration officer.

I will!

Right after you are finished with boot-licking and butt- kissing!

Is it even clear that this vocabulary chart has ever made it into a Thai classroom?

To all of you sudden converts to political correctness in order to jump on the Thai-bashing bandwagon:

Pointing this out isn't Thai bashing. It's just pointing out that racism is wrong.

I'm as against racism as anyone. I'm not 100% sure if this is a case of 'racism' as much as it is the perpetuation of negative stereotypes because of lack of awareness and education.

What I was saying in my post is that I strongly suspect that some, if not most, of the people on this thread decrying the loudest about the inappropriateness of the vocabulary chart would readily agree that the image of the 'ugly' person was less attractive than the image of the 'handsome' person, and in private that they agree in general white people are more attractive than black people, and the only reason they would say otherwise is out of political correctness, not because they don't harbor racial prejudice and biases, which I find to be incredibly hypocritical.

Also, it is not in the least bit clear that the vocabulary chart shown was anything more than a proposed design by one person, or that this chart has ever been vetted by, much less introduced into the school system. So I think all this criticism about the Thai educational system inculcating xenophobia and racism in primary school students is a rush to judgement.

Edited by Gecko123

Of course it's racism. It's not like KKK style racism where they are consciously hating on people. It is more like a brainwashing not self aware kind of racism.

Without getting into a debate on semantics, someone who subconsciously promulgates a stereotype without consciously believing that one race is better than another is not necessarily a racist in my opinion.

Of course it's racism. It's not like KKK style racism where they are consciously hating on people. It is more like a brainwashing not self aware kind of racism.

Without getting into a debate on semantics, someone who subconsciously promulgates a stereotype without consciously believing that one race is better than another is not necessarily a racist in my opinion.

I don't share your very limited definition of racism.

Racism is many things. Some trivial. Some murderous.

Basically it is treating people differently based on racial perception, even positively.

If Thais are being brainwashed to think black equals ugly surely that is going to manifest itself sometimes in how they treat black people in real life.

Next ...

I don't share your very limited definition of racism.

Racism is many things. Some trivial. Some murderous.

Basically it is treating people differently based on racial perception, even positively.

If Thais are being brainwashed to think black equals ugly surely that is going to manifest itself sometimes in how they treat black people in real life.

Next ...

According to Webster's, my definition of racism isn't limited at all.

racism: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

I'm saying in order for a a person to be 'racist' that belief has to be a conscious belief.

Oh look it's the western people who were only just 1 century ago that was busy enslaving people of african descent and native peoples from lands like australia, usa, canada to name a few and afterwards freeing them but still discriminating starts to throw a hissy fit at something as tiny as a textbook description. You see the contrast here?

How can the western people aka farang actually try to lecture thais/asians on racism when they were the ones making slaves out of africans, segregating them from bathrooms, restaurants, public places just 60 years ago and still having the police harrassing black people on the streets and then suddenly acting all self righteous all because of a textbook description that did not even imply that blacks are ugly just that the illustration happens to be a man that's black.

Please take your white guilt and white man's burden elsewhere. It's true that after the civil rights movement and the collective efforts of groups like the black panthers, NAACP etc farangs started to become super sensitive towards blacks compared to all other minorities and are very afraid of being called racist especially towards blacks but please that is due to your own white guilt and burden. Don't try to bring that over to other nationalities like the thais who have done nothing of that sort to black people. You see the irony? On the one hand farangs are responsible for how blacks/africans have suffered in countries like the US and their own native africa but decide they need to lecture a country's people who have not even done 1% of the damage they did to black people and try to show how racist thais are. whistling.gif

Either the picture is racist or its not. History has nothing to do with it.

And who decides if the picture is racist or if it is not?

@GertT:

When Baywatch came onto TV I wasn’t a teenager anymore. What will be going to happen in twenty years I don’t know and I might not be around to witness it.

Oh!, but wait, they did see, and they were all ugly. The problem I have with your argument is that the Thai school kids did not see a picture of what the whole of "africa" consider ugly. They saw a (stereotypical) representation of what is regarded ugly (a person with big lips, tattoos and scars on their face).

You are making an assumption that is based on one poster and generalise across the board. I have been in Africa from the North to the South and rest assured ugliness has a different definition in each region and depends on the persons that judge it. I personally don’t regard big lips as ugly nor would I say that a scar or tattoo would contribute to it. Maybe it would have been a good idea to place a link onto the poster to a website http://photobucket.c...ges/ugly people which I have no doubt the children could explore to find Asian, European and African people that are all regarded as ugly. I might place a different angle onto the argument if the poster is racist or not.

You have clearly read my previous posts on this thread and others, or become aware of them through some other means.

You are making an assumption that is based on one poster and generalise across the board.

The informal fallacy argument does not apply here. Racist acts do not need to occur repeatedly, for them to be racist. One classroom poster is all that is needed.

I might place a different angle onto the argument if the poster is racist or not.

What?.

1) Do you want to start asking 100 people if the face was really black?

2) start counting black swans and white swans?

3) Monitor someones internet usage?

You are missing the point in all this. It doesn't take a genius to work this out...Racism is Racism. simple. It needs to stop!. Is that clear?

@GertT:

When Baywatch came onto TV I wasn’t a teenager anymore. What will be going to happen in twenty years I don’t know and I might not be around to witness it.

Oh!, but wait, they did see, and they were all ugly. The problem I have with your argument is that the Thai school kids did not see a picture of what the whole of "africa" consider ugly. They saw a (stereotypical) representation of what is regarded ugly (a person with big lips, tattoos and scars on their face).

You are making an assumption that is based on one poster and generalise across the board. I have been in Africa from the North to the South and rest assured ugliness has a different definition in each region and depends on the persons that judge it. I personally don’t regard big lips as ugly nor would I say that a scar or tattoo would contribute to it. Maybe it would have been a good idea to place a link onto the poster to a website http://photobucket.c...ges/ugly people which I have no doubt the children could explore to find Asian, European and African people that are all regarded as ugly. I might place a different angle onto the argument if the poster is racist or not.

You have clearly read my previous posts on this thread and others, or become aware of them through some other means.

You are making an assumption that is based on one poster and generalise across the board.

The informal fallacy argument does not apply here. Racist acts do not need to occur repeatedly, for them to be racist. One classroom poster is all that is needed.

I might place a different angle onto the argument if the poster is racist or not.

What?.

You are missing the point in all this. It doesn't take a genius to work this out...Racism is Racism. simple. It needs to stop!. Is that clear?

If you live here,its you who is missing the point

I'm as against racism as anyone. I'm not 100% sure if this is a case of 'racism' as much as it is the perpetuation of negative stereotypes because of lack of awareness and education.

What I was saying in my post is that I strongly suspect that some, if not most, of the people on this thread decrying the loudest about the inappropriateness of the vocabulary chart would readily agree that the image of the 'ugly' person was less attractive than the image of the 'handsome' person, and in private that they agree in general white people are more attractive than black people, and the only reason they would say otherwise is out of political correctness, not because they don't harbor racial prejudice and biases, which I find to be incredibly hypocritical.

Also, it is not in the least bit clear that the vocabulary chart shown was anything more than a proposed design by one person, or that this chart has ever been vetted by, much less introduced into the school system. So I think all this criticism about the Thai educational system inculcating xenophobia and racism in primary school students is a rush to judgement.

My problem with this poster is that colour has been chosen as an indication of what is deemed undesirable and ugly. That is prejudicial and bigoted thinking. It is not Thai bashing to point that out.

As for this portion of your post

"I strongly suspect that some, if not most, of the people on this thread decrying the loudest about the inappropriateness of the vocabulary chart would readily agree that the image of the 'ugly' person was less attractive than the image of the 'handsome' person, and in private that they agree in general white people are more attractive than black people, "

I could not disagree more. Especially with your final 10 words which I find abhorrent.

Attractiveness cannot be judged purely upon skin colour. We all have things we find attractive and these differ from person to person as well as culture to culture but to say white is more attractive than black is thinking I cannot understand or find credible.

I have no problem with people questioning the sensitivity or ignorance in using the photo but to call it racist is both ignorant and comical considering the people screaming racism have no issue painting an entire group such as Thais in a negative way.

People who are claiming racism seem to either be racist or bigoted them selves or simply don't understand different cultures. If they were in a restaurant in their home country they would be shocked to hear a racist say, "that food is for the Asian guy over there" but here it is okay to state the obvious such as pointing out the food is for a "farang" in an otherwise crowded restaurant of asian. There is nothing racist about pointing out the obvious and nothing racist in using a word in Thai that described white foreigners. It certainly can be insensitive to somebody who feels insecure about who they are and even be surprising to people who don't understand or have not spent the time to learn the culture but it is not racist.

The picture is wrong and was a mistake in my opinion but it is not inaccurate. Although the dark skin was not the only thing making the photo ugly, it added to it. Regardless of what traits, the person in the photo had that made this generally considered an ugly person, they could have substituted a pike or rotting garbage or something else that would be less damaging to young people's self view or reinforce social views on attraction. Then again, it is not unhealthy in my opinion for people to have a realistic view of how others may perceive their looks but kids change and ugly ones can grow up to be attractive and regardless, not something they need to be considering at this age.

Bottom line, somebody didn't put a lot of thought into something and it took a while before people pointed it out. Happens every day all over the world including with large companies with huge marketing budgets.

Happens every day all over the world including with large companies with huge marketing budgets.

2) This is the first time I have heard this kinda thing happen. Ever! and I am no spring chicken.

3) No one has posted any evidence of this kind of thing happen in Thailand OR another part of the world.

4) Even if it had happened, the only way to counter racism (and other social ills like corruption and nepotism) is to act resolutely against it. Not be oblivious of it.

1) Why take one sentence out of context? Nothing was implied or suggested that kids go to large companies to learn english vocab. This clearly shows you want to see things in an incorrect light by dishonestly suggesting anything remotely like this was said.

10 Recent Racist Ads That Companies Wish You Would Forget

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/the-10-most-racist-ads-of-the-modern-era-2012-6?op=1#we-all-remember-ashton-kutchers-brownface-1

10 Toys Just a TAD BIT Racist

http://www.collegehumor.com/post/6984400/is-it-just-us-or-are-these-10-toys-just-a-tad-bit-racist

2) Clearly you have either had blinders on as this type of things does happen all over the world and you only need to go in Thailand, including to a major mall such as Terminal 21, to see what would be considered racist or insensitive in other parts of the world. There was a topic about a Dunkin Donut ad being racist too here in Thailand, though of course it was just another example of lack of thought (ignorance) that a symbol of racism. This topic has been brought up many times including Asian countries, including Thailand, that consider Hitler wear Chic or have used Hitler's image in advertising and even had kids at school marching in Nazi uniforms yet not one of these actions were antisemitic or racist ... it was just ignorance.

3) See above and ... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/664749-dunkin-donuts-thailand-under-fire-for-racist-ad-campaign/

4) We are not talking about racism. We are talking about ignorance and insensitivity that has been pointed out and will surely be addressed until it happens again. It is a HUGE leap to believe this picture had any racist meaning behind it or that it was designed to promote racism. It was almost surely created because somebody was not thinking about these things. I agree, it should be pointed out but we should not ignore reality in doing so and pretend things are happening that are not, including your taking a sentence out of context to make it mean something was said that was not.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

@GertT:

What?.

Certainly I have read your comments otherwise it wouldn’t make much sense replying to them, and I hope we can agree on that!

The problem I am having with that argument is: Who decides what is a racist act? Is it you or using your statistical approach a sample of the population and by which criteria has that sample been selected?

I don’t think that I am missing the point and on what we can agree is your statement that it doesn’t need a genius to work it out. Racism is Racism as 4 = 4 there is no argument about it. The argument starts when you fail to define Racism and plainly use the word simple because it isn’t that simple. It might be simple for you that everybody else that doesn’t agree with your view regarding the article belongs into the drawer which is labelled racist; however since university time I have made it a habit to look at problems from different angles before formulating an opinion. Does it make my stance clear?

1) Why take one sentence out of context? Nothing was implied or suggested that kids go to large companies to learn english vocab. This clearly shows you want to see things in an incorrect light by dishonestly suggesting anything remotely like this was said.

10 Recent Racist Ads That Companies Wish You Would Forget

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/the-10-most-racist-ads-of-the-modern-era-2012-6?op=1#we-all-remember-ashton-kutchers-brownface-1

10 Toys Just a TAD BIT Racist

http://www.collegehumor.com/post/6984400/is-it-just-us-or-are-these-10-toys-just-a-tad-bit-racist

2) Clearly you have either had blinders on as this type of things does happen all over the world and you only need to go in Thailand, including to a major mall such as Terminal 21, to see what would be considered racist or insensitive in other parts of the world. There was a topic about a Dunkin Donut ad being racist too here in Thailand, though of course it was just another example of lack of thought (ignorance) that a symbol of racism. This topic has been brought up many times including Asian countries, including Thailand, that consider Hitler wear Chic or have used Hitler's image in advertising and even had kids at school marching in Nazi uniforms yet not one of these actions were antisemitic or racist ... it was just ignorance.

3) See above and ... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/664749-dunkin-donuts-thailand-under-fire-for-racist-ad-campaign/

4) We are not talking about racism. We are talking about ignorance and insensitivity that has been pointed out and will surely be addressed until it happens again. It is a HUGE leap to believe this picture had any racist meaning behind it or that it was designed to promote racism. It was almost surely created because somebody was not thinking about these things. I agree, it should be pointed out but we should not ignore reality in doing so and pretend things are happening that are not, including your taking a sentence out of context to make it mean something was said that was not.

I agree with you and there was an interesting article in yesterdays Guardian that looked at Mark Twain; his story about Huckleberry Finn and what has changed since that time in the US and how the country is still struggling to solve problems based on race and that does not only involve ‘black’ people but also addresses problems for Hispanic or Asian parts of the population. The comments made by readers are also worthwhile to be read.

Edited by GerdT

In such books Thai youth are being taught that black people are INFERIOR to them unless you're so daft as to think UGLY is desirable. Of course that's racism. It's outrageous to me how anyone can't see that who isn't totally BRAINWASHED.

There are many BLIND SPOTS in Thai society that outsiders easily see than perhaps Thais generally don't see. Like the Nazi ignorance thing. Like the dark skin thing. Etc. etc.

Edited by Jingthing

In such books Thai youth are being taught that black people are INFERIOR to them unless you're so daft as to think UGLY is desirable. Of course that's racism. It's outrageous to me how anyone can't see that who isn't totally BRAINWASHED.

There are many BLIND SPOTS in Thai society that outsides easily see than perhaps Thais generally don't see. Like the Nazi ignorance thing. Like the dark skin thing. Etc. etc.

What books? And you mean a bit like Germany?

There are many BLIND SPOTS in Thai society that outsides easily see than perhaps Thais generally don't see. Like the Nazi ignorance thing. Like the dark skin thing. Etc. etc.

What books? And you mean a bit like Germany?

Correction -- referring to the chart and I think it's fair to assume such cultural messages are not rare as we've all met many Thais who will tell you that they think dark skin is ugly. Often their OWN dark skin. Very sad.

Not talking about Germany here so stop the baiting. Talking about THAILAND. Of course all cultures have BLIND SPOTS, but again, this is about a situation in THAILAND.

Edited by Jingthing

There are many BLIND SPOTS in Thai society that outsiders easily see than perhaps Thais generally don't see. Like the Nazi ignorance thing. Like the dark skin thing. Etc. etc.

Maybe you should go back to page 1 and read the article. It is one poster and I see no connection that an image of the poster was used in any school books.

It's outrageous to me how anyone can't see that who isn't totally BRAINWASHED.

It might be possible that enough readers will follow your train of thought if you can convince them that this is official Thai educational policy. Still, they will have been Brainwashed by your convincing argument that this is taught out of school books. You certainly discovered a Blind Spot overlooked by the majority of readers on TV – school books.

I already made the correction.

Wake up and talk to Thais.

This perception, dark and black skin is ugly is very widespread in Thailand.

It didn't just happen. Thais are clearly TAUGHT this in various ways.

I'm assuming anyway that most of us would agree here that the message in the chart is racist in nature.

But what percentage of THAIS would get that?

I assume based on my experience in Thailand, plenty wouldn't.

Again -- a cultural BLIND SPOT.

Edited by Jingthing

I agree with you and there was an interesting article in yesterdays Guardian that looked at Mark Twain; his story about Huckleberry Finn and what has changed since that time in the US and how the country is still struggling to solve problems based on race and that does not only involve ‘black’ people but also address problems for Hispanic or Asian parts of the population. The comments made by readers are also worthwhile to be read.

Agree but looking at some of the examples in this ad (http://www.collegehumor.com/post/6984400/is-it-just-us-or-are-these-10-toys-just-a-tad-bit-racist), I can see how people take issue but at some point reality needs to set in and going out of your way to pretend things is no way to solve racism or any other issue. In fact in the US there is a big backlash to this and causing bigotry even though it is an ignorant way to react to people trying to make you pretend and not discuss truth or obvious.

soft+and+safe+white+family+dr+heckle+fun

Is this not a white family? Not sure why it needs to be stated if you can see it but certainly nothing wrong with listing its description as such. If there is a black family of the same product must they be listed as Family 1 and Family 2 to avoid the description offending anyone? It has got to the point where acknowledging being a certain race is racist. Should the choice to buy a toy based on color of the dolls or figures be banned? Just make them various colors and censor the skin color on the outside of the box?

Little_Monkey_Doll_Packaging_1-600x450.j

While this can certainly appear racist, I am white and called my son a monkey all the time when little and he had a stuffed monkey just like this. If these is another white doll just like this nobody would think anything. Why is it not okay to have a black doll? If people see blacks as monkeys then this is racist and the only reason to avoid ever having a monkey and black person together.

51q0-NI6u7L._SX300_.jpg

Not included in the link but worth pointing out that if you are going to sell this one then to me it is racist not to sell the other.

creepy-toys-6.jpg

Now Oreo can only use a White doll to promote Oreos? I guess Aisans should be banned from selling Bananas and whites from selling vanilla. To me it is insulting that Whites believe a black should be offended because the color of the product is near their skin tone since they would not find themselves offended by a white selling vanella.

wtf-walmart-racism.jpg

Should a store be banned from lowering the price on slower moving items or overstocks just because some may be offended?

The way to tackle racism is not to pretend it exists where it doesn't, this actually causes recentment and makes some people angry and they direct that at the race they feel is oppressing their right to intelligence. Nothing wrong with pointing things out that might be insensitive or ignorant but everything is not about racism and often these types of things happen because somebody doesn't even think about possible offensiveness because they are the furthest from being a racist. Highly doubtful the KKK was involved in any of the above or that anyone was trying to promote racism.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn