why do taxis in Pattaya and Jomtiem do not use meter?

teacher0826

This past few days I was in Pattaya for business. I do not drive so I usually take the bus from Bangkok to the Pattaya bus station. On this particular occassion traffic was very bad and I was running late for my meeting, so when I arrived at the bus station, upon which I usually take the songthaew, I flagged one of the new taxis down to take me. I have been here for over 15 years and read, speak and write Thai, I asked him to take me to my destination, in thai, and he said 300 baht. I was shocked, as i then saw the meter covered with a cloth. I said your sign says this is a meter taxi. he responded that all the taxis in Pattaya do not, I repeat DO NOT use the meter. I calmly asked why and was told that all these taxis are in negotations with the local government to agree on a fare increase. I was surprised to say the least, but I needed to get to my meeting. I paid the 300 baht and asked for a receipt and was told "in thai, <snip>" Upon coming back home yesterday I did some research and was not able to get any answer as to why they are allowed to roam freely and charge what-ever they desire. Does anyone have this same experience or can shead some in-sight. thanks

Per forum rules, Thai language removed.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jingthing, you beat me to it.

The above answer is absolutely correct.

Without enforcement and penalties for non-compliance, the taxis remain ABOVE THE LAW.

It is as simple as that. You will find a similar situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Also if things haven't been changed here under this current military government which did act to reform taxis in some other locations, abandon all hope. Which I already had. Easier that way in order to not go completely batty!

Many westerners have the delusion that if they speak Thai, they are respected and won't be ripped off. Nothing could be further from the truth. The driver did not turn on the meter because the OP was a westerner traveling solo.

If the OP were to take the same route with a Thai wife/gf, the driver would turn on the meter.

Edited by mesquite

Many westerners have the delusion that if the speak Thai, they are respected and won't be ripped off. Nothing could be further from the truth.

If the OP was to take the same route with a Thai wife/gf, the driver would turn on the meter.

In Pattaya?

No.

Many westerners have the delusion that if they speak Thai, they are respected and won't be ripped off. Nothing could be further from the truth. The driver did not turn on the meter because the OP was a westerner traveling solo.

If the OP were to take the same route with a Thai wife/gf, the driver would turn on the meter.

Trust me, in Pattaya, I don't think that is the case unless they have jigged the meters to triple Bangkok price. They are simply above the law. Jingthing is right.

Pattaya isn't BKK, its a lot smaller and if a metre fee of 38Baht was agreed most fares wouldn't cost a lot more...same as Samui and Phuket...Its not BKK. with masses of fares, most use songtaews as you said you normally do...how far did you go, how much did you think was a fare price, it dosnt matter whether you speak Thai, Laos or Khmer the price is the same. Still what do you expect with lady driverssmile.png

Edited by PattayaPhom

Even in bkk the taxis are a mafia racket

I don't know where you get your ideas from

Many times I've been refused at silom, mbk and other areas or quoted an exorbitant price off the meter and it happens Thai people too...

Often I have tried and tested it by sending a Thai gf to ask the driver etc and he refused before he even knew there was a farang passenger as well

What complete and utter rubbish, have you ever tried taking a Taxi in Pattaya with Thai wife/partner, who the passengers are makes no difference to the blood sucking thieves who are the Taxi Mafia.

When My Teksi (cant remember other name) first started up it was a good service and meters were used but they even managed to ruin that service.

Maybe try a counter-offer instead of paying the asking price?

Or saying no thanks and trying another taxi.

Unless they are all in collusion, then you have to pay or seek other methods of transport.

Unless they are all in collusion, then you have to pay or seek other methods of transport.

They are in collusion - with City Hall. There are NO working taxi meters anywhere in Pattaya. All posters who try to say otherwise are talking out of their bottoms.

because the powers that be are scared of a couple of petty gangsters, it is really is embarrassing how emasculated the police force are in Thailand

Maybe you've started something: a 4th or maybe 5th sex.

male/female/lady boys/transgender/emasculated cops rolleyes.gif

I do know this... the songthaews drivers pay 400-500baht a day for the 12 hour use of driving the assigned songthaew. And the taxis are rented also which is more than 500 baht per day. I do not know if the taxis are managed by the same mafia group or not but I imagine. There are way too many of these taxis sitting idle so they will not use the meter and the ignorant drivers would most likely make more profit if they could driver around and pick up customers but that seems to be against the rules. Again, the mayor cannot enforce this scam since: 1) he is part of the scam or 2) he is powerless like he is powerless with the police department which is a seperately runned from city hall. When I think how easy it is to get around by taxi in BKK and how inexpensive is, and compare this to Pattaya (I also do not have a car in Pattaya) my blood boils.

Wrong, he did not turn the meter on because he never does, is not obliged to and the customer has little choice.

Wake up.....................do you think we have not tried... they are in it together! I exited Central Mall, after 4 taxis attempts of not paying the 300b and listening to them talking on the radio warning each other that i was refusing to pay 300b , I approached a young kid in a meter taxi, I told him real clear 200b or no eat to night, I told him they are not your boss, he returned okay, get in quick......

Many westerners have the delusion that if the speak Thai, they are respected and won't be ripped off. Nothing could be further from the truth.

If the OP was to take the same route with a Thai wife/gf, the driver would turn on the meter.

In Pattaya?

No.

"Turn your meter on NOW" always worked for me and i really mean always... and everywhere here in Thailand.

I never start to ask them, asking makes you a possible victim to them...

You step in a meter taxi... why should you ask the price ?

Last time in Phuket, the driver wanted to hide the meter with his hat on top of it... starting with 400 bath on the meter already...

In Thailand you don't ask ;-) you tell them politely what to do and how to do it ;-)

Wake up.....................do you think we have not tried... they are in it together! I exited Central Mall, after 4 taxis attempts of not paying the 300b and listening to them talking on the radio warning each other that i was refusing to pay 300b , I approached a young kid in a meter taxi, I told him real clear 200b or no eat to night, I told him they are not your boss, he returned okay, get in quick......

So yes, you made a counter-offer and he accepted and you verify that they are all pretty much in collusion.

I suggested the OP make the counter-offer, try another taxi, pay the 300BHT or find another way to get to his destination.

So were on the same page then, right?

I do know this... the songthaews drivers pay 400-500baht a day for the 12 hour use of driving the assigned songthaew. And the taxis are rented also which is more than 500 baht per day. I do not know if the taxis are managed by the same mafia group or not but I imagine. There are way too many of these taxis sitting idle so they will not use the meter and the ignorant drivers would most likely make more profit if they could driver around and pick up customers but that seems to be against the rules. Again, the mayor cannot enforce this scam since: 1) he is part of the scam or 2) he is powerless like he is powerless with the police department which is a seperately runned from city hall. When I think how easy it is to get around by taxi in BKK and how inexpensive is, and compare this to Pattaya (I also do not have a car in Pattaya) my blood boils.

I am at present in Pattaya. at around 9pm last night (Fri), there was a long queue of traffic all the way from about Mikes Mall, right up past Walking Street, and into Second Road right along to near the Lek Hotel.

There were loads of buses, which I think was the cause of this. Just imagine a taxi meter on there, and the Baht bus drivers must be losing a fortune because of these Chinese and all those buses.

Yes the Pattaya taxis are indeed owned by the same people as the baht buses. The taxis are not allowed to use the meters.

Jingthing is to Pattaya baht buses etc, what Ubon Joe is to Visas and Immigration, so I would go by everything he says.