Mixed reactions to Kasit's new role

Lite Beer

Mixed reactions to Kasit's new role
WASAMON AUDJARINT,
MARISA ISHIKAWA
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- EX-FOREIGN MINISTER TO USE DIPLOMATIC EXPERIENCE FOR REFORM FOUNDATION CREATED BY SUTHEP

EXPERTS and politicians have expressed mixed opinions over former foreign minister Kasit Piromya's role as the foreign-affairs voice for a new foundation.

Some said he would help support Thailand, while others doubted he would be pro-government.

Kasit, who is also a former ambassador to the United States, was appointed foreign-affairs representative of the People's Democratic Reform Foundation with the goal of forging a mutual understanding between Thailand and the international community.

Interior Minister General Anupong Paochinda denied any possible connection between the foundation and the government and the military's ruling National Council for Peace and Order.

He also insisted there would be equal treatment towards all parties, claiming that the foundation had been allowed to hold a news briefing because it didn't touch on politics.

The foundation's chairman Suthep Thaugsuban mentioned Kasit's role during the news conference on Thursday.

Panitan Wattanayagorn, an international-relations academic from Chulalongkorn University, said Kasit would likely act in favour of national interests and not for any particular group, including the current military-led government.

"It is understood that foreign policies belong to a state only, not anyone else. They can be driven by different governments, but their long-term strategies always remain the same and are always for the benefit of the country," said Panitan, a key adviser to Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan.

Panitan saw a positive in Kasit's possible interaction with foreign countries. "It's not unusual for a non-political, pro-society foundation to help build a better understanding towards Thailand for outsiders.

"I think this kind of organisation should get more support in Thailand," he added, citing examples like the US-based Rockefeller Foundation and the Asia Foundation in relation to their roles in enhancing mutual knowledge. "It will help accompany Thailand to go through modern diplomacy."

He added, however, that Kasit should be well prepared to show the foundation's independence from politics.

Meanwhile, Surapong Tovichakchaikul, who served as foreign minister in the previous democratically elected government, said he expected Kasit would first explain to foreign countries how Thailand needed "reform" before an election was held.

But Surapong has doubts over whether it would be necessary to do that, as bodies like the National Reform Council have already been progressive with their work on drafting the next constitution.

"This is basically their big play. They can show it to some groups of people, but they cannot lure the rest, including foreign countries," he added. "It should be reminded that they have watched our democratic progress."

Thammasat University political scientist Attasit Pankaew said the foundation would be prone to taking a parallel line with the government to back up reform work before elections.

"The foundation is choosing to proceed in a supporting role [to the government], rather than a leading role [that they took in the past]," Attasit noted.

Kasit's upcoming role indicates the foundation's intent to support the government, as the regime currently seems to be stumbling to maintain Thailand's foreign affairs properly, he added. He said Kasit's work would resemble that of a lobbyist attempting to counter similar moves by the pro-Thaksin camp."Kasit should be cautious not to infringe on the government's work. He may instead use his own networks and connections to fulfil this mission," said Attasit, adding that the appropriateness of Kasit's efforts would depend on his approach.

The French Embassy approached by The Nation declined to comment.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Mixed-reactions-to-Kasits-new-role-30265651.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-01

Meanwhile, Surapong Tovichakchaikul, who served as foreign minister in the previous democratically elected government, said he expected Kasit would first explain to foreign countries how Thailand needed "reform" before an election was held.

Great so now we have a civilian ministry foundation of propaganda too. Cant wait... coffee1.gif

Kasit is way cool

He had been bad mouthing the man from Dubai after he pulled a team switch when the Tax man replied that he was surprised he was ungrateful, as the Tx man had always juiced him out if his own pocket when he was an ambassador; IE sent money to him (bribed). To which Kasit smoothly executed a pivot said he accepted the cash, sure, yes, but only to help poor and indigent Thai nationals return home when they had no money to buy plane tickets etc etc

The guy is a humanitarian biggrin.png and of course this is accepted and no one looks into finding one person he helped. Arf.. Helping poor people my posterior !! . That's like "I did it for my family" line ........ which also receives great acceptance in LOS

This guy is a national treasure, long may he be on the Gravy Train.

where is the mixed reaction?

The "government" speaking out of both sides of it's mouth?

Look, Panitan is an "academic", elite yellow adivisor to the Minister of Defense and he says, "I think this kind of organisation should get more support in Thailand,"

Of course, because these guys are the "old" Democrats, which was the military's puppet political party. And now they are the military's puppet, non-political, political group...

Suthep has just re-entered politics, Kasit, too. The only difference is that they are in the part of politics which will be independent of the voters; and under the next constitution, that will be the only part of politics with any power.

where is the mixed reaction?

The "government" speaking out of both sides of it's mouth?

Look, Panitan is an "academic", elite yellow adivisor to the Minister of Defense and he says, "I think this kind of organisation should get more support in Thailand,"

Of course, because these guys are the "old" Democrats, which was the military's puppet political party. And now they are the military's puppet, non-political, political group...

Suthep has just re-entered politics, Kasit, too. The only difference is that they are in the part of politics which will be independent of the voters; and under the next constitution, that will be the only part of politics with any power.

Spot on....and very sad.

Surely this has to break some rule about political participation.

It would have under the 2007 Constitution. But the Junta abolished it in its overthrow of the elected government.

Now under Article 44 the game is whatever the Junta decides is fair play.

So long as Supthep's foundation supports the Junta's political agenda, it can run free of Junta interference.

I see the post-Junta government is starting to form.

When do we have elections to ratify their appointment?

Perhaps after justice is served and the entire opposition parliament is impeached and banned from politics?

Hopefully soon, though.

Demokracy must be restored to the sheeple.

Edited by phoenixdoglover

Great so now we have a civilian ministry foundation of propaganda too. Cant wait... coffee1.gif

It would seem you accept as truth what Surapong expects. May I remind you that Surapong is the former MoFA who sneakily issued a new passport from flooded offices and lied about it? A man who represented a criminal fugitive rather than Thailand.

That would be No.1 cousin Surapong who illegally issued his criminal fugitive cousin, boss, lord and master with a new passport and specially opened his ministry during the worst floods in living memory to do so he could hand deliver it. I wonder if he'll ever answer the Ombudsman's questions regarding that or be held accountable for that?

Still he did less travelling to other countries than the alleged PM/DM.

But Thaksin... thumbsup.gif

In case you've forgotten, that's the boss of Surapong, the one who orders him around, tells him what to do and say. In many ways hearing Surapong means hearing Thaksin.

Now if only Surapong hadn't been mentioned in the OP ... ...

Yes, I can very well remember him and one of his speeches he gave: Speaking on the airport seizure, Kasit made media headlines when he said that the atmosphere at the protests was “a lot of fun” and that “the food was good and the music was excellent”.

I was at the time stuck at an airport but didn’t enjoy the food nor did I find the music excellent. He for sure has the flamboyance and the skill to explain to foreign nations how democracy is progressing in Thailand.

Yes, I can very well remember him and one of his speeches he gave: Speaking on the airport seizure, Kasit made media headlines when he said that the atmosphere at the protests was “a lot of fun” and that “the food was good and the music was excellent”.

I was at the time stuck at an airport but didn’t enjoy the food nor did I find the music excellent. He for sure has the flamboyance and the skill to explain to foreign nations how democracy is progressing in Thailand.

Indeed. Sadly he doesn't have the credibility. Look at some of the candid pics of him with foreign dignitaries. Same as the generalissimo, they can hardly hide their loathing. Sad really, because Kasit genuinely thinks he's absolutely the dog's wotsits.