Windows 10 on laptop?

pinkpanther99

Has anyone got Windows 10 on their laptop yet?

I've download it as per instructions on my desktop but it has not downloaded on my laptop for some reason??

My laptop has the download icon in the bottom right but when I click on it is doesn't seem to be available for download.

Anyone else have the same problem?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have it on my lop top for three days now,

several weeks ago I received an email from MS asking me if I wanted to reserve Win 10 when it became available. It explained that it was going to become available in stages so that it would not create problems with everyone downloading it at the same time

Three days ago it became available to me and when I started my Lop-top . it asked me if I wanted to start the download, and I did

easy process.

here is how to reserve an upgrade

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade

I have it on my lop top for three days now,

several weeks ago I received an email from MS asking me if I wanted to reserve Win 10 when it became available. It explained that it was going to become available in stages so that it would not create problems with everyone downloading it at the same time

Three days ago it became available to me and when I started my Lop-top . it asked me if I wanted to start the download, and I did

easy process.

here is how to reserve an upgrade

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade

Yes, I did exactly the same on my desktop with no problems. In fact, the installation was very straightforward.

However, nada on my laptop.

All that "Get WIndows 10" icon, email registration was just another marketing gag.

Since the very first day (29) tons of articles describe how to download Windows 10 32 bit / 64 bit as Home or Pro version.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

With the down loader you can either do an upgrade or get a full ISO for creating a DVD or create a bootable USB stick.

No one has to wait. There is no magic behind, no "personal download" or whatever.

I downloaded a 32 bit Pro ISO and burnt it to DVD (was not too fast, took 55 min).

Not yet installed though.

Edited by KhunBENQ

All that "Get WIndows 10" icon, email registration was just another marketing gag.

Since the very first day (29) tons of articles describe how to download Windows 10 32 bit / 64 bit as Home or Pro version.

With the down loader you can either do an upgrade or get a full ISO for creating a DVD or create a bootable USB stick.

No one has to wait. There is no magic behind, no "personal download" or whatever.

I downloaded a 32 bit Pro ISO and burnt it to DVD (was not too fast, took 55 min).

And the ISO is definitely the way to go rather than an upgrade "in situ"

Back everything up, trash the hard disk and install from new.Or, buy a new hard disk, swap it out, install W10 and you've still got the old one to fall back on!

that's what I shall do with a test PC, but NO WAY am I going to install anything new from MS on a live PC on day 1! w00t.gif

Their track record stinks - i reckon to put W10 on a live PC around February next year after its bedded in and the almost inevitable major bugs are fixed.

And only then if they make updates optional again like they always have been - MS's record there isn't good either!

Take it from someone who's been working in IT since before Windows even existed! Yes, I am that ****ing old! sad.png

Downloaded Windows 10 to my live PC (Acer Laptop). Everything went unbelievably smooth.

It took about 1hr 20min in total. I declined the automatic feedback for for marketing etc, and the automatic default applications in favour of my previous selected defaults. When the machine became live again, it was just as though nothing had changed. All my programmes, favourites and defaults were still in place.

The only thing I had to do, was to reboot with my printer connected and powered up for it to find it.

All in all, a much easier experience than doing a clean install from a disk.

Edited by rawhod

Downloaded Windows 10 to my live PC (Acer Laptop). Everything went unbelievably smooth.

It took about 1hr 20min in total. I declined the automatic feedback for for marketing etc, and the automatic default applications in favour of my previous selected defaults. When the machine became live again, it was just as though nothing had changed. All my programmes, favourites and defaults were still in place.

The only thing I had to do, was to reboot with my printer connected and powered up for it to find it.

Pleased for you - really! thumbsup.gif

Being the skeptic that I am, I'm still going to wait for a while and look for a few more reports such as yours though!

The fact that you declined the automatic defaults tells me that you too have more than basic knowledge so future feedback would, I'm sure be welcomed.

Question: is your W10 installation fully activated after the update?

Back everything up, trash the hard disk and install from new.Or, buy a new hard disk, swap it out, install W10 and you've still got the old one to fall back on!

that's what I shall do with a test PC, but NO WAY am I going to install anything new from MS on a live PC on day 1! w00t.gif

Their track record stinks - i reckon to put W10 on a live PC around February next year after its bedded in and the almost inevitable major bugs are fixed.

And only then if they make updates optional again like they always have been - MS's record there isn't good either!

Take it from someone who's been working in IT since before Windows even existed! Yes, I am that ****ing old! sad.png

You talk of getting a new HDD. Why not just leave your old one as is so you can quickly and completely revert if you want?

I made a clone of my HDD before I started for that reason. I can swap HDD's right now and be right back. The clone is also of course a complete backup of my files and folders. Macrium Reflect is a free and good imaging program. It has a scheduler too and makes an image of my HDD every night while I sleep. I have it set to save two images and I periodically move an image to another folder so that Reflect won't see it and delete it. Then I could revert back quite a bit of time if I needed to.

I now have a clone of my HDD before I started, an image from just after I finished, and an image made in the night of the new 10 install which will have all of the tweaks I've done. This is all easy and I don't know why "everyone doesn't do it" LOL. Why put anything at risk? smile.png

Cheers.

Edited by NeverSure

You talk of getting a new HDD. Why not just leave your old one as is so you can quickly and completely revert if you want?

I made a clone of my HDD before I started for that reason. I can swap HDD's right now and be right back. The clone is also of course a complete backup of my files and folders. Macrium Reflect is a free and good imaging program. It has a scheduler too and makes an image of my HDD every night while I sleep. I have it set to save two images and I periodically move an image to another folder so that Reflect won't see it and delete it. Then I could revert back quite a bit of time if I needed to.

I now have a clone of my HDD before I started, an image from just after I finished, and an image made in the night of the new 10 install which will have all of the tweaks I've done. This is all easy and I don't know why "everyone doesn't do it" LOL. Why put anything at risk? smile.png

Cheers.

NeverSure:

Actually....that IS what I'd do and I DO use Macrium Reflect and have images of ALL 5 of my Windows systems!

To be honest, i thought that my original post may be easier for some people but your method is just as good or better and may be cheaper.

Worth pointing out that if one does use Macrium Reflect, it's possible to create the image on DVD(s) or an external hard drive.

I've done both with success (and even restored the image to a different system drive in the original laptop)

Also worth pointing out that it's ESSENTIAL to create a boot disk (CD is big enough) to do the restore if you come to that stage.

One Macrium boot CD is enough per operating system, so all my Win 7 PCs can use the same one. if i backed up a Win 10 system i think I'd create a new boot CD "just in case" (Ever cautious!!)

Edited by VBF

-snip-

Also worth pointing out that it's ESSENTIAL to create a boot disk (CD is big enough) to do the restore if you come to that stage.

One Macrium boot CD is enough per operating system, so all my Win 7 PCs can use the same one. if i backed up a Win 10 system i think I'd create a new boot CD "just in case" (Ever cautious!!)

Actually you need a rescue disk for 32 or 64 bit too for some reason.

Cheers.

But, unless you purchase a Win10 license, how can you activate a clean install?

My understanding is that to take advantage of the 12-month free upgrade period, you must first do an in situ upgrade from Win7/Win8/Win8.1 and activate. Then, once your Win7/Win8/Win8.1 Product Key is on Microsoft's servers as an activated Win10 installation, and only then, can you do a clean installation of Win10. Otherwise, what Product Key will you use to activate a subsequent clean Win10 installation?

My understanding is that to take advantage of the 12-month free upgrade period, you must first do an in situ upgrade from Win7/Win8/Win8.1 and activate. Then, once your Win7/Win8/Win8.1 Product Key is on Microsoft's servers as an activated Win10 installation, and only then, can you do a clean installation of Win10. Otherwise, what Product Key will you use to activate a subsequent clean Win10 installation?

According to MS, you use the Key that came with the original Windows 7/8 installation FAQs are here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/faq

So you need to make sure you've got that before you blat over the original installation. IF you bought a PC with a licensed copy of Win 7 or 8, there should be a label on the device or the box, or if you bought it from a "pucker" dealer it's on the original Windows 7 / 8 DVD case.

If you bought it from certain outlets in Thailand, that might be a problem of course! whistling.gif

Note....... I have NOT tried this yet - it's just what i'm reading on the MS website - want to "tread boldly?"

I would strongly suggest that you read what was said above about imaging the PC first, then if all else fails, you can go back to your original installation!

Edited by VBF

I am playing the "waiting game" re W 10 (as advised by tech). I have a new laptop with W 8.1. Tech installed W 7 Pro.

I have doubts re W 7 authenticity but am assured that all will be smooth. I suggested that we reinstall the real W 8.1 prior to upgrade.

Staying with a "suspect" W 7 - POSSIBLE RAMIFICATIONS?

According to MS, you use the Key that came with the original Windows 7/8 installation FAQs are here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/faq

So you need to make sure you've got that before you blat over the original installation. IF you bought a PC with a licensed copy of Win 7 or 8, there should be a label on the device or the box, or if you bought it from a "pucker" dealer it's on the original Windows 7 / 8 DVD case.

If you bought it from certain outlets in Thailand, that might be a problem of course! whistling.gif

Note....... I have NOT tried this yet - it's just what i'm reading on the MS website - want to "tread boldly?"

I would strongly suggest that you read what was said above about imaging the PC first, then if all else fails, you can go back to your original installation!

If you clean install without doing an upgrade first, Win 10 will not be activated. Win 7/8/8.1 keys are not recognised by Win 10.

But you can of course do a clean install of Win 7/8/8.1, do the Win 10 upgrade over that and then do a clean install. It is pretty quick to do it this way. You don't need to do any updating on Win 7/8/8.1 and don't need to have all the correct drivers installed before doing the upgrade to Win 10. But the OS that you're upgrading from must be activated.

You can always read the product key from the running system.

There are multiple tools available.

What I use is MagicJellybean free version:

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

If you created a bootable medium (DVD, USB stick) you can start the installation from there.

Before anything happens to your existing system you will be asked for the key which is then checked (offline!).

If the response is a yellow attention icon and text: "something wrong" (or similar) then you will probably get in trouble.

You can then cancel the setup.

You can also ignore/skip the warning, but don't ask me what the final result will be.

Maybe an unlicensed/crippled version.

KuhnBENQ

Living in LOS, one never really knows re authenticity of product. My computer tech said - do not be concerned.

So, if I upgrade from W 7 Pro to W 10, I am going to be asked to input my serial number?

If I key in a Windows 8 product key when upgrading from W 7 version, problem? (I would prefer not to uninstall W 7 & reinstall W 8)

I have the CD for W 8.

KuhnBENQ

Living in LOS, one never really knows re authenticity of product. My computer tech said - do not be concerned.

So, if I upgrade from W 7 Pro to W 10, I am going to be asked to input my serial number?

If I key in a Windows 8 product key when upgrading from W 7 version, problem? (I would prefer not to uninstall W 7 & reinstall W 8)

I have the CD for W 8.

The two upgrades didn't ask for the product Key from me. Of course I didn't do a clean install.

Edited by BB1950

Pleased for you - really! thumbsup.gif

Being the skeptic that I am, I'm still going to wait for a while and look for a few more reports such as yours though!

The fact that you declined the automatic defaults tells me that you too have more than basic knowledge so future feedback would, I'm sure be welcomed.

Question: is your W10 installation fully activated after the update?

My previous laptop running Win 7 died in March this year, so I had to buy a replacement then. I extracted the HDD from it and found that it was still alive, so that can be read as an external drive.

I was so disenchanted with 8.1 that I was eager to move away from it.

After the final reboot, the Win. 10 installation is fully activated.

After the installation showed 100%, I got a window saying, in effect, that it was setting everything up. This took a while and eventually said that "it was taking longer than normal"...

I wondered if this was because I declined all the defaults...

For the ISO, can't we wait a few months ? I think that when the first bugs will be repaired, the new ISO to download will be different in a few months : right ?

I had a Dual Boot system with Widows 7 Ultimate (32 Bit) and Windows 7 Ultimate (64 Bit). Both were activated with the same product key. I did the free Windows 10 upgrade to the 64 bit installation first. At the end up about 50 minutes Windows 10 booted up and activated. There wasn't any problems during the upgrade at all! So I figured I'd upgrade the 32 bit installation as it's my main system

However with the 32 bit installation it was a different story. After about 1 hour went buy I got the "it's taking longer than normal ..." message. after the last reboot, about 2 hours later, the 32 bit installation rebooted for the last time. An error message would pop up but the system would reboot before I could read the message! After letting it do this for 3 times, I started in it safe mode. Safe Mode started started and seemed okay, but it was late and I had enough. So I restore the to where it was before the upgrade took place. Thankfully I have an automatic backup that takes place in the early mornings every day. It backups both partitions. After the restore of the 32 bit partition Windows 7 32 was fine. I just had to make tweaks to the boot menu to undo the changes the Windows upgrade made.

I have been wondering about this ever since. Same hardware, but different installed applications and personalizations. They only thing I could find so far is that; in the EULA it says something about activating a 32 bit installation and 64 bit installation with the same product key won't be allowed as in the past. Another copy of Windows 10 is supposed to be purchased.

Has anyone else ran into a case like this?

I'm perfectly resigned to accept this, as I eventually want to make the 64 bit machine my main system as the 32 bit version of Windows 10 doesn't support Microsoft Virtual PCs. I bought the Ultimate version because I had a lot of applications that wouldn't work with Windows 7 only Windows XP. XP mode was bliss. After installation the 64 bit partition I found a lot of applications wouldn't run in 64 bit.

Of course things have changed now. XP support died and there are few 32 bit only applications left. Most support 32 bit or 64 bit. It appears 64 bit version of Windows 10 and 32 bit version of Windows 7 can use the same product key and I have no use for 'XP mode'. I can run applications that are support 32 bit only on a Virtual Machine. It's just going to take time to eventually set up the 64 bit installation to be my main system.

I just would like to know 'others' experiences. I'm impressed with 64bit Windows 10! Much more than 64 bit Windows 7. There's no reason for me to go back to the 64 bit Windows 7 installation. Windows 7 won't be supported anymore on Jan, 2020. I'm not sure about Windows 10. The phrase "supported life of the device" is a bit ambiguous!

Thank you BB1950

I am still confused!

I can absolutely guarantee the authenticity of my W 8.1.

W 7 - cannot.

Clean install - no understanding.

In my case, best strategy?

OK so you have a notebook that came with a genuine OEM version of Win 8.1 but you have had a (probably not genuine) version of Win 7 installed on the machine. I say probably because it is possible to downgrade a genuine OEM Win 8/8.1 to Win 7 but only the Pro version qualifies and the process is convoluted.

So your choices for upgrading to Win 10 are:

1 - Go ahead and upgrade your possibly not genuine but nevertheless activated current installation of Win 7. As things stand Win 10 will be activated in this scenario and as far as I know there is no way to distinguish an installation of Win 10 upgraded this way vs one done properly. However MS is almost certainly aware so whether they sometime in the future deactivate those machines no one except MS knows and MS isn't telling.

2 - Do a clean install of Win 8.1 (Core not Pro). You will need installation media but otherwise it will be easy. So long as there is an internet connection Win 8.1 will extract the product key from the BIOS and it will activate. Then just install Win 10 over that. This way you will have a genuine installation of Win 10 which is good for the life of the machine.

Personally I would go with option 2.

So, upgrade W 10 from W 8 is preferred - guaranteed legitimate version of W 8.1.

Can Windows 8.1 be installed over the existing suspect Windows 7? ie no uninstall W 7 prior to upgrade to W 10.

So, upgrade W 10 from W 8 is preferred - guaranteed legitimate version of W 8.1.

Can Windows 8.1 be installed over the existing suspect Windows 7? ie no uninstall W 7 prior to upgrade to W 10.

You do a clean install of Win 8.1. That means booting from the installation media (likely a USB drive). In the initial stage of that you will be asked what to do with existing disk partitions. Just delete them all and there will be no trace of the former Win 7 installation.

I've downloaded the 32, the 64 and both versions in form of an ISO file and will wait for more positive posts. Why should I kill my horse, if it's fast as a race horse, then I'd have to download and install two language packs.

Any idea if the language pack download will go as smooth as it did with W 7?

I have so many work related applications installed, where I don't know if they'll be installed, or not.

I won't install in on my notebook though.

All it tells me is that I need to download language packs. Why hurry, W 10 won't run away, And to make sure, I'll take one of the two school computers and try it there.

Anyway, all systems are backed up with Acronis and if I do not like it, I go back in time.

Edited by lostinisaan

They've been in a very public and open beta for about 9 months, so most of the bugs got worked out already. I have yet to run into any after an .iso install from an external USB HDD directly over my legit 8.1. Everything works great, with no changes other than the new features and good-riddancing of the dumb things from 8.1

Install only took about an hour and a half on my slow-ish laptop. I didn't have to reinstall anything so far except one of my English alternative keyboard layouts. Thai and English and every other setting was still just as before.