Anyone Use Kapook To send Money to Thailand

Has anyone else used, or is using kapook to send Money from the UK to Thailand,

The Wife has been sending money home to her family for the past three years, Usually she just goes into Barclays Bank and pays her

money in, Barclays just forward it to the wife's Mother's account in Thailand, through kapook, it was very cheap. £1.50. per 100

Now the wife has received a text from kapook, Saying they no longer will accept cash, or payment by credit card, They want the wife's

Bank details and a standing order set up, That means they can access the wife's Bank account, and withdraw funds,

I feel uneasy about this as they can literally take all her cash, and also access what she has in her bank account,

I have told the wife to set up another Bank account and only deposit in what she intends to send to Thailand, give them that bank account number,

Even this is not failsafe as they could withdraw the amount and still not pay the amount into the wife's mother's account.

Is it me being Paranoid, i just dont feel easy with this arrangement , has any one else come across this text from Kapook.

I suggest you use a bigger FX company to handle your money.

Myself, i use canadianforex, they have a company with a different name in the UK. Good service, very big bank and fast after the first wire. usualy costs me about 0.8% to 1.2% of the amount. They don't use text, seems childish for a bank to text you about important matters.

I use Transferwise check them out, there's no obligation. Get a lot better rate than the banks....Got 54.8 yesterday rate locked in (mid market rate).

Takes between 3-5 business days but as I say the rate is locked....

Use the link to get your first (upto 3000 GBP)

Edited by Boo
removed link

I use Transferwise check them out, there's no obligation. Get a lot better rate than the banks....Got 54.8 yesterday rate locked in (mid market rate).

transferwise take 1.4% + 0.2 on the exchange

that's a lot on large transfers T1rcpxi.png

Edited by Boo

Assuming the person in Thailand has an account with Bangkok Bank, why not transfer the money to Bangkok Bank's London branch (for free) in the UK and they will transfer the money to Thailand into the correct account.

Lots been written about it.

transferwise take 1.4% + 0.2 on the exchange

that's a lot on large transfers T1rcpxi.png

I just send my pension over monthly, and they are cheaper than my bank and at a better rate, the TT rate when I sent was 54.3 and I got 54.8, so I cant complain. By using the link I sent the first tx (upto 3000 GBP is free) I think it comes down to choice at the end of the day.

Edited by Boo

Assuming the person in Thailand has an account with Bangkok Bank, why not transfer the money to Bangkok Bank's London branch (for free) in the UK and they will transfer the money to Thailand into the correct account.

Lots been written about it.

Bangkok Bank charge £20 to transfer to Thailand and convert GBP at the TT Buying rate.

OP if you look at their web site

3) There are three methods to make your transfer. The transfer can be made through internet banking, cash payment at Kapook UK shop and by transferring using your debit card. We would advise our customers and members to please call Kapook UK before making a transfer to ensure that you have the correct Kapook UK accounts details to minimise any delays in a transfer being made.

That does not seem to jibe with what you received - why don't you give them a call? I was put off by the page on Admin Fees being mainly in Thai in spite of having a header with clickable UK and Thai flags for different languages.

OP if you look at their web site How to Transfer

3) There are three methods to make your transfer. The transfer can be made through internet banking, cash payment at Kapook UK shop and by transferring using your debit card. We would advise our customers and members to please call Kapook UK before making a transfer to ensure that you have the correct Kapook UK accounts details to minimise any delays in a transfer being made.

That does not seem to jibe with what you received - why don't you give them a call? I was put off by the page on Admin Fees being mainly in Thai in spite of having a header with clickable UK and Thai flags for different languages.

I just checked these out they are paying less than the TT Rate!

Use the link to get your first (upto 3000 GBP) Transfer Free

I must be cracking up because for the life of me I cant see Thai Baht in the drop down list......??

Edit......apologies !! See it now

Edited by Boo

I must be cracking up because for the life of me I cant see Thai Baht in the drop down list......??

Who is "Boo" that is supposed to have edited my Post....??

One of the moderators

OP was spamming his affiliate link even after having it removed twice. Mods came in and cleaned it.

I would still recommend anyone to use large forex transfer service if you plan on sending money often. After the first transfer, things usualy go smoothly and you get really good rates.

One of the moderators

No he/she hasn't.

Identical to what I had written after I edited it.....

Boo whoever you are it might be an idea to make it clear who you are if supposedly editing peoples posts. I was going to actually PM one of the Admin originally

again Expattaff1308 was spamming his affiliate link. He edited it.. jesus read.

I wasnt spamming anything I was offering a transfer via Transferwise which if you used the link (that thaivisa objected to) would get you your first transfer of upto 3000 GBP FREE now if that spamming so help me. No one is under any obligation but a free transfer with a better than TT Rate well thankfully I was able to take advantage of from another poster. but if offering alternatives to the money grabbing banks is spamming so be it. Small minded bigots I call them!!

PM me to get the link for a free transfer!

Edited by Expattaff1308

I wasnt spamming anything I was offering a transfer via Transferwise which if you used the link (that thaivisa objected to) would get you your first transfer of upto 3000 GBP FREE now if that spamming so help me. No one is under any obligation but a free transfer with a better than TT Rate well thankfully I was able to take advantage of from another poster. but if offering alternatives to the money grabbing banks is spamming so be it. Small minded bigots I call them!!

Do you, or do you not earn a commission when people use, and then continue to use Transferwise after they click the link you provided?

https://transferwise.com/blog/2015-04/become-a-transferwise-affiliate/

Do you, or do you not earn a commission when people use, and then continue to use Transferwise after they click the link you provided?

https://transferwise.com/blog/2015-04/become-a-transferwise-affiliate/

Only if 3 people take the offer up, as I said its a good deal with no obligation with better rates than the TT buying Rate and Free!! Thats how I found it and took advantage of it, I dont care either way if they take it or not, the commission is peanuts, but what Im offering is the same 'good deal' that was offered to me, you could say Im passing on my good fortune, its up to the individual if they chose to take it up.

Going directly into transferwise DOES NOT GET YOU the FREE transfer, so what would you do ignore the offer and go alone and pay the fee or take up the chance of a freebie, seems some people just dont want others to have something for free!!

The guy who passed the link to me surely made some commission if 2 others also took it up and good luck to him because he saved me almost 30 quid (fees) in a single transfer, and i got a rate that beat the Thai TT Buying Rate, you no doubt have your own way of transferring, but, some of us like a deal away from the robbing bankers and we also like to pass on our good fortune so others can also benefit.

If you dont want to use it move on and leave it to those who do.

You try & help people and thats what you get.........There are certainly some sad individuals on this site!

Edited by Expattaff1308

• 3 months later...

Transferwise is great and saved me over 30 quid on doing it through the bank. I got a free transfer up to 1000 quid too from this website. Took around 2-3 days to go through and hit my Bangkok Bank account. This will save me a packet through the year. I almost thought it was too good to be true but saw Richard Branson is an investor so knew it was legitimate.