Heavy rain storm lashes Phuket

webfact

Heavy rain storm lashes Phuket

PHUKET: -- Phuket was heavily lashed by rain storm before dawn today, causing flooding in many areas of the seaside resort island.

Several power polls were also brought down by the storm during the morning hours and several roads in Muang and Kratu districts were inundated, disrupting the morning rush hour traffic.

Torrential rain began from daybreak and by late in the morning it was still raining.

Flooded roads included Thepkasat-tri in front of Super Cheap store where small vehicles were unable to pass as water level was over 30 centimetres high, Rat-uthit road in Kratu district where water levels were 30-50 centimetres high.

The Southwest Meteorological Centre forecast more rains in Phuket covering 60% of the province and one metre high wave in the sea today.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/heavy-rain-storm-lashes-phuket

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-03

Phuket gazette reported:

Affected areas, some of which have water depths of more than one meter, include the Chalong Circle; a section of Chao Fa West Road in front of the TOT office; Patong Police Station; the road in front of Patong Hospital; Sianamyen intersection; and the base of Patong Hill.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Small-vehicles-warned-Phuket-flash-floods/61636

Phuket rains bring down live power lines, landslide warning for risk areas issued
Eakkapop Thongtub

1438595478_1-org.jpg
The wall collapse left live power lines dangling onto Thpekrasattri Rd. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Heavy rains brought down a retaining wall and live power lines onto Thepkrasattri Rd, north of Phuket Town this morning (August 3), as deluges caused minor flooding across the island.

A section of wall 20-meters long collapsed in front of Wat Sapam Thanmaram in Sapam, toppling one power pole and leaving three others leaning dangerously over.

Live power cables fell were strewn onto the northbound lane, bringing traffic to a standstill.

The power supply was cut off as soon as the authorities were notified and police at the scene began clearing the road of some of the smaller chunks of the rock wall and directed traffic safely around the cables.

The two-lane northbound section of road was then closed while cranes were brought in so workers could make repairs immediately.

“We have already cleared two poles off the road, and we’re clearing a third one now,” Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Lt Col Theerapol Tipcharoen told The Phuket News.

The road will be re-opened to traffic as soon as safely possible, he added.

A small landslide was also reported in front of the Patong City sign on Patong Hill, leaving stone, concrete and soil strewn onto the road. Kathu policemen arrived at the scene to lift the debris from the road by hand.

The Thai Meteorological Department recorded 87.8mm of rainfall in Phuket Town from 4am through to 10am today, while the weather monitoring station at Phuket International Airport recorded 30.8mm in the three hours from 10am through 1pm.

Officials from the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Phuket office (DDPM-Phuket) urged residents to beware of landslides in several risk areas, including near exposed banks of local canals.

“Please beware of hill areas in Kamala, Surin and at Baan Bangtao Nok in Cheng Thalay, as well as Baan Wat Mai, Baan Na Kop in Chaolng, and some areas in Wichit,” one DDPM-Phuket officer said.

“We will be on 24-hour disaster-response standby for the next three to four days,” he added.

In case of emergencies, people are urged to call the DDPM national hotline at Tel: 1784* or the DDPM-Phuket office at 076-218444.

* Note: The 1784 hotline is to the national disaster-response centre in Bangkok, but reports to there will be relayed to Phuket.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-rains-bring-down-live-power-lines-landslide-warning-for-risk-areas-issued-53481.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-08-03

Wait until they get the Chalong tunnel finished as it will be able to handle a lot of flood water. This assumes that they will not put the pumps in the ceiling.

Same was said about both underpasses that are (nearly) finished.

"A small landslide was also reported in front of the Patong City sign on Patong Hill, leaving stone, concrete and soil strewn onto the road. Kathu policemen arrived at the scene to lift the debris from the road by hand." The same sign which is leaning dangerously.

same old same old - Money to solve that flood problem has already been taking care of (according to TW) ... whistling.gif

If you were actually here you would see it is not same old same old.

I think he is referring to the fact that despite tens of millions of baht being spent on improving the roads and drainage in Patong, the problem is still there.

As I recall, someone in authority here actually said that once the last part of the drainage system had been installed (about a year ago?), then the police station would be free of flooding – – yeah right!

They just haven't got a clue..................

same old same old - Money to solve that flood problem has already been taking care of (according to TW) ... whistling.gif

I think he is referring to the fact that despite tens of millions of baht being spent on improving the roads and drainage in Patong, the problem is still there.

As I recall, someone in authority here actually said that once the last part of the drainage system had been installed (about a year ago?), then the police station would be free of flooding – – yeah right!

Since yesterday was completely different with floodings all over the island, including many places that normally don't flood: NO, not same old, same old.

Since yesterday was completely different with floodings all over the island, including many places that normally don't flood: NO, not same old, same old.

"NO, not same old, same old." - correct.

"Same Same but worse." :)

"A small landslide was also reported in front of the Patong City sign on Patong Hill, leaving stone, concrete and soil strewn onto the road. Kathu policemen arrived at the scene to lift the debris from the road by hand." The same sign which is leaning dangerously.

Traveling over Patong Hill is dangerous at any time. No way would I go over that hill in weather like this.

But the places that used to flood, and where drains were supposedly laid to ensure that never happened again, did flood. So, some of the same old, same old.

And to further back that up, over a couple of months ago the Patong police station flooded yet again and that was not due to circumstances being "completely different with floodings all over the island including many places that don't flood", .....that was plain and simple same old, same old flooding.

Lack of planning, lack of intelligence and corruption have ensured that this flooding will probably continue whether it be "normal" flooding or "completely different flooding" and I think that's also what the poster was referring to.

But the places that used to flood, and where drains were supposedly laid to ensure that never happened again, did flood. So, some of the same old, same old.

And to further back that up, over a couple of months ago the Patong police station flooded yet again and that was not due to circumstances being "completely different with floodings all over the island including many places that don't flood", .....that was plain and simple same old, same old flooding.

Lack of planning, lack of intelligence and corruption have ensured that this flooding will probably continue whether it be "normal" flooding or "completely different flooding" and I think that's also what the poster was referring to.

All that poster ever refers to is anything negative he can find.

Yesterday was different, so 'same old, same old' is not applicable. It may have been a few months ago with a flooding and it will be in the future, but not yesterday. And that was all I wrote.

Exactly lack of intelligence .... what do they expect when the build the new road much higher than the police station. The higher drain servicing the new higher road overflow in high rain conditions and the excess water flows into the police station ...

Exactly lack of intelligence .... what do they expect when the build the new road much higher than the police station. The higher drain servicing the new higher road overflow in high rain conditions and the excess water flows into the police station ...

I think you may be onto something...........perhaps you could write to the powers that be to inform them of what you've found, that water doesn't flow uphill!

The first stage of that road plus the accompanying drains that were supposed to cure many ills, including the flooding outside of the hospital and the police station, was heralded as a success. So imagine my surprise then when one day I was travelling along Rat-U-Thid road (it was raining) in my old banger of a car and I turned into Sainamyen Road, only to be met with a torrent of water streaming down, which was so powerful that it floated my car backwards, and of course that part of Rat-U-Thid was also almost knee deep in water, eventually.

The drains and part of the new road that had been built had made it worse.

The next phase was digging up some of the earlier laid drains and laying others on top, and of course digging up part of the road as well. Result = Soi Banzaan even more of a mess than before, hospital flooded as well as the police station.

The final phase was digging all of those drains up and laying extremely large ones in their place as well as cleaning out the klongs in and around the police station/fire station/hospital area. Result = exactly the same and what we have seen over the past few months.....floods.

For me, it is more of the same and now to make things worse, water and debris/sand/rocks from the building up on the hills behind Nanai Road cascade down blocking the drains and sometimes making Nanai almost impassable, whereas before it was just water.

It doesn't matter how you argue it, the flooding has continued and in some cases gotten worse, so for me there is no change.....same, same!!

^

Yep ... Nanai Road today .... many crews out trying to clean out the debris clogged drains ... what do they expect with all the rubble coming down from the hills.

Our rental property on Nanai 2 was fooded ... again. About 10 years ago they built this huge drain under the entire road to take the flow of rain water from above Nanai Road. Back then the water just drained into that big old rice paddy between Nanai and Rat-u-tit. But now there is all that new road build. Where does that drain water go now ... nowhere ... it just backs up. Piss Poor Planning ... and we still have to pay our property taxes ... for what ....