What's the best value new car in Thailand right now?

^In fairness to that reporter, the editorial policy is probably heavily dependent on their big auto advertisers, and we can guess who those might be in Thailand. wink.png He probably wanted to brag up the EV to what it really is, but was held back from doing so.

The wife loves her suzuki ertiga.

Lots of flexibility and configurations with the three rows of seats. The third row is just for small kids, however. Under 800,000 and very comfortable. I can sleep in the back of it, on long trips. It has aircon front and back. Not too peppy though. Good mileage, comfortable, good storage and affordable. Very reliable.

the suzuki has 93HP.. can't have that in thailand

Also remember you paid 25k$ for 93hp, i couldnt sleep wink.png

Try and negotiate a narrow soi in BKK. You will see why eco cars are popular here, especially in cities. The local goon in his pickup can't keep up with me in my suzuki around town where HP means nothing.

The wife loves her suzuki ertiga.

Lots of flexibility and configurations with the three rows of seats. The third row is just for small kids, however. Under 800,000 and very comfortable. I can sleep in the back of it, on long trips. It has aircon front and back. Not too peppy though. Good mileage, comfortable, good storage and affordable. Very reliable.

the suzuki has 93HP.. can't have that in thailand

Also remember you paid 25k$ for 93hp, i couldnt sleep wink.png

Try and negotiate a narrow soi in BKK. You will see why eco cars are popular here, especially in cities. The local goon in his pickup can't keep up with me in my suzuki around town where HP means nothing.
You are 100% right... a pissarse little car is ideal for busy town traffic ... but for travelling around Thailand forget it ... two vehicles is the answer ... a pissarse one and a proper one

except the ertiga isnt small.. Its decently large and low HP.

Try avoiding a collision when your low HP requires you to walk out and push your car to make it move

Paying 25k for that is insane, would rather put two honda clicks with a horse charriage and hiring a driver for a few years.

A Ford? What would the neighbors think? Tut, tut!

If they are car people, and read Thai language reviews, forums or Facebook, they will already know that the "EV" (Everest) is widely accepted as being superior to the "FT" (Fortuner, also sometimes the "FTR" in Thai) - only the most die-hard of Toyota fans don't agree. That's the car... not the service though wink.png

Most Thai commentators have come to the same conclusions posters here have come to: The Pajero Sport is the value for money buy, the Everest is the best in class, and the Fortuner is somewhere inbetween.

Isuzu still gets support from those folks that have heard it being the only car their AM radio DJ would buy for the last 30 years, but the Chev? It seems to be in no man's land now.

How can the PJS be best value for money when it is similarly priced to the superior Everest?

If they are car people, and read Thai language reviews, forums or Facebook, they will already know that the "EV" (Everest) is widely accepted as being superior to the "FT" (Fortuner, also sometimes the "FTR" in Thai) - only the most die-hard of Toyota fans don't agree. That's the car... not the service though wink.png

Most Thai commentators have come to the same conclusions posters here have come to: The Pajero Sport is the value for money buy, the Everest is the best in class, and the Fortuner is somewhere inbetween.

Isuzu still gets support from those folks that have heard it being the only car their AM radio DJ would buy for the last 30 years, but the Chev? It seems to be in no man's land now.

How can the PJS be best value for money when it is similarly priced to the superior Everest?

There is a 200K baht difference between their respective top models.

except the ertiga isnt small.. Its decently large and low HP.

Try avoiding a collision when your low HP requires you to walk out and push your car to make it move

Paying 25k for that is insane, would rather put two honda clicks with a horse charriage and hiring a driver for a few years.

It would be quite considerable slower than the swift as it is more than 200kgs heavier. It's just a people mover around town. I'd not be driving it too far and certainly not up to isan. Any vehicle can be safely driven once the limit of the car are known. Crash impact effect on small cars are a whole other story.

There is a 200K baht difference between their respective top models.

Even if you compare the top PJS to the mid spec Everest it's inferior and both around the 1.45m mark.

It is futile to debate this topic any further. My Thai wife & her father (a motor mechanic) have decreed that the Fortuner is . superior to the Pajero.

On a recent trip to CNX, they discovered that there are backorders for both SUVs.

Secondly, discounting? What is that?

They will provided added goodies eg one year insurance, floor mats, non-alcoholic drinks & sandwiches. I did neglect to inform you excited people that the presentation will include additional photographs. WOW! The Thais love their cars.

We were even given the opportunity to participate in the purchase instalment program. PO! Even more goodies - free use of their toilet facilities & free detergent for washing the hands.

I rejected this wonderful offer. I demanded gratis nose cleansing procedure by the local expert. He has a delightful, beautifully manicured nose cleansing little finger! DEAL?

Now, tha is an offer too good to refuse (Godfather)

post-239536-0-93153900-1439486596_thumb.

Wait for it - another omission to this superb deal. Free bullbars (maybe) , free spoiler (maybe) & number plates with 999 (lucke wife program) - both still under negotiation pending special approval to be granted by Toyota BKK.

Edited by fang37

It is futile to debate this topic any further. My Thai wife & her father (a motor mechanic) have decreed that the Fortuner is . superior to the Pajero.

On a recent trip to CNX, they discovered that there are backorders for both SUVs.

Secondly, discounting? What is that?

They will provided added goodies eg one year insurance, floor mats, non-alcoholic drinks & sandwiches. I did neglect to inform you excited people that the presentation will include additional photographs. WOW! The Thais love their cars.

We were even given the opportunity to participate in the purchase instalment program. PO! Even more goodies - free use of their toilet facilities & free detergent for washing the hands.

I rejected this wonderful offer. I demanded gratis nose cleansing procedure by the local expert. He has a delightful, beautifully manicured nose cleansing little finger! DEAL?

Now, tha is an offer too good to refuse (Godfather)

You might want to try a little harder on that deal - they're selling you a 5+ year old car :P

Even if you compare the top PJS to the mid spec Everest it's inferior and both around the 1.45m mark.

At the 1.45M mark, comparing the PS GT-Premium to the Everest Titanium 3.2 4WD:

PJS pros:

8AT vs 6AT

LED headlights vs halogen projectors

DRL's vs none

Keyless start vs none

7 Airbags vs 6

Electric passenger seat vs Manual

360 degree parking camera vs none

Front Collision avoidance vs none

Accidental acceleration mitigation vs none

Cross traffic alert vs none

~13.x KM/L vs 11.8 KM/L

Everest Pros:

200HP/470Nm vs 181HP/430Nm

Rollover mitigation vs none

Terrain Command vs 2H/4H/4HLc/4LLc

Active noise cancellation vs none

Edited by IMHO

As of today, no purchase made.

Stock is difficult to source.

Colour - white - "Pearl White" - the Hi-So choice - about B10k extra.

Interior - brown.

I have not even been in the previous model.

My role - supply $$$ & complete the final negotiations.

In fact, several years ago, I let my driving licence lapse - I had cancer. Now, I have a chauffeur.

The Hunday Elantra made in Indonesia for 850.000

The Subaru XV ALL WD SUV made in Indonesia for 998.000 that was introduces last year for 1.350.000

The new Mazda 3 with triptonic 6 speeds auto transmission for about 1.200.000

The top of the line luxury Subaru Legacy made in Japan for 2.000.000

Edited by umbanda

Look up what Pajero means to a South American Spanish speaker.

Its name is just right.

The car is so beautiful and hot...that owners do not need partners to have fun.....

Why changes its name in South America??? Bad Marketing strategy..."Drive a Mitsubishi Pajero to feels gooooddd" ...will sell.

By the way...I still looking for an older model Montero AWD.

Edited by umbanda

PJS pros:

8AT vs 6AT

DRL's vs none

Keyless start vs none

7 Airbags vs 6

~13.x KM/L vs 11.8 KM/L

Everest Pros:

I would still get the Everest at that price, as it is fundamentally a better car even if the Mitsu has a few more toys. Some of the Mitus's toys are bobbins anyway - Keyless Start is a pain and <deleted> is 'Accidental Acceleration Mitigation'? A woman's driver aid I assume?

PJS pros:

8AT vs 6AT

DRL's vs none

Keyless start vs none

7 Airbags vs 6

~13.x KM/L vs 11.8 KM/L

Everest Pros:

I would still get the Everest at that price, as it is fundamentally a better car even if the Mitsu has a few more toys. Some of the Mitus's toys are bobbins anyway - Keyless Start is a pain and <deleted> is 'Accidental Acceleration Mitigation'? A woman's driver aid I assume?

Yeah, some of the omissions on the EV are a surprise though... no electric passenger's seat, and no reversing camera... that latter one is a deal breaker for me - I have kids and dogs.

The EV T+ has both ... one of the reasons why we had to fork out for it. There is an easy option to fit the reversing camera according to a Ford salesman but the electric passenger seat is a nono.

Yes ... no gps is a real pain ...now will have to have wires dangling ... well almost.

Edited by JAS21

What is and how does "Terrain Command operate? [/nd]

I think that best descriptions of how it works are on youtube and on the Ford website. You will get a far better understanding from those sites than anyone can give you here without them writing an essay. Edited by JAS21

• 2 years later...