What percentage of Thais have degrees?

Hal65

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of Thais do but cannot do much with them. My Brother in Law is a Bangkok taxi driver, I found at recently he has a Masters degree from the University at Sri Ratcha. He could not get a proper job on graduating, worked overseas as labour for seveal years and now the only thing he can do relatively profitably is drive a cab to earn money to send his two children to University.

All members of my family have degrees. Only one of them has a job which in any sense resembles a job wih a degree.

Less than 20% of the Thai population have ever attended high school (note: not graduated).

So less than that with degrees.

The numbers from this website seem to look a lot better than that:

http://wenr.wes.org/2014/03/education-in-thailand/

WENR_0314_Thailand-1.png

Under the National Education Act, 12 years of free public schooling is guaranteed to all Thai citizens, with a 2002 amendment also guaranteeing two years of free preschool. Currently, the first nine years of primary and secondary education are compulsory, consisting of six years of primary education and three years of lower secondary (age six to 15). Students continuing beyond compulsory education complete a further three years of upper secondary education before entering the labor market or undertaking higher studies.

In 2010, 76 percent of the relevant age group graduated from lower secondary (gross graduation ratio). The gross enrollment ratio for upper secondary in 2010 was 79 percent, which is low compared to middle-income regional neighbors. At the tertiary level, the gross enrollment ratio in 2010 was a relatively high 48 percent; however, the gross graduation ratio of 29 percent is suggestive of high drop-out rates.

A lot of Thais do but cannot do much with them. My Brother in Law is a Bangkok taxi driver, I found at recently he has a Masters degree from the University at Sri Ratcha. He could not get a proper job on graduating, worked overseas as labour for seveal years and now the only thing he can do relatively profitably is drive a cab to earn money to send his two children to University.

All members of my family have degrees. Only one of them has a job which in any sense resembles a job wih a degree.

Wow a cab driver in Thailand who earns enough Baht to send 2 children to uni

Wow a cab driver in Thailand who earns enough Baht to send 2 children to uni

You may be surprised at the number of people who you think of as poor struggle and send their children to uuniversity. costs are round 15000 baht a semester and babout the same in essentials. for the first year the student must stay in student accomodation at about 2000 baht a month. food costs etc round 300 baht. if the university is not in your home town you have to then get other accomadion. just a little more.

A big sacrifice but many here make it for their children's future.

Education here in Thailand, is like many other aspects of the country, an exercise in moving targets, spin and hyperbole. Yes they have compulsory 9 years of education. Whether or not you actually complete that 9 years is irrelevant, and certainly without consequence.

University is much the same, turn up and you'll graduate. How much you have actually learnt is again of minor importance. My wife has a degree from KKU. I love her dearly, but if I would compare my degree from UC Berkeley and hers, at best it's some closer to a US GED.

There is a reason this country is stuck in the situation it is, and education is it. Like many things here they love to tout statistics at you, but of all the statistics on school enrollment, college graduation are any actually worth the paper they're written on, that is another matter.

Be better halving the number of graduates and substantially improving the quality of the education they receive.

But I'll be long gone and pushing up daisies by the time that 'major' miracle happens

I think a professional affiliation or fellowship is more important now.

Having professional accreditation without also having a degree rarer to find. However, the usefulness of a non-vocational first degree and even some supposedly vocational ones increasingly insufficient on their own and need topping up. This is a problem not peculiar to Thailand.

Wrong question OP.

Question should be how many have degrees which are actually worth anything

Many clinics have doctors with degrees, yet those doctors somehow managed to get a degree but failed to learn any English or Latin and half of medical terms are in Latin

Just like graphic designers who do not know how to use powerpoint, or computer teachers who do not know how to install an anti virus

I think konying comment on English skills may not be appropriate. PowerPoint and computer software are tools, while English is for communication. If said doctors are not able to use surgical tools, then I will be worried.

Doctors, like most Thais are not exposed to speaking English and that does not mean they don't understand English. I visit st. Louis hospitals in Bangkok and have no problem with communicating with doctors.

In the US about 28% of Americans have bachelors degrees and 11% have graduate degrees. I'm interested in the Thailand percentages, does anyone know?

Some of my fellow graduate students from U.S. Study in local U here are doing graduate studies as they could not get a job back home. Getting a loan for graduate studies help to finance their cost of living.

http://time.com/3544912/graduate-school-loans-debt/

I think konying comment on English skills may not be appropriate. PowerPoint and computer software are tools, while English is for communication. If said doctors are not able to use surgical tools, then I will be worried.

Doctors, like most Thais are not exposed to speaking English and that does not mean they don't understand English. I visit st. Louis hospitals in Bangkok and have no problem with communicating with doctors.

YOu are soooo off.

Firstly powerpoint is in English, not Thai

Secondly not only English is part of 5-6 year study but language used to actually improve knowledge and skills, last time i checked most medical advances, new medication and treatments were all written in English

Yes, they do not speak or understand English and if they could not learn something as basic as English, it is more than likely they learned anything else.

Many doctors you visit at the hospitals have studied overseas and did their masters in UK, US etc

I can not believe i even have to explain something as basic as this to you.

Next time, why do not you visit a clinic not a hospital and see how well communications would be and what medication you will come out with

My point is learning has nothing to do with languages. Go to China and all doctors except few speak English. That does not make Chinese doctors less able. Chinese doctors even invent new technologically advance medical machine that English speaking world used.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-15664703

We should expert and respect differing views in a forum. Thank you.

• 5 months later...

Archived