Thai Police Chief to propose name of successor soon

webfact

Police Chief to propose name of successor soon

BANGKOK, 4 August 2015 (NNT) – The Royal Thai Police Commissioner-General has confirmed he will decide later this month as to who will replace him in the position after his retirement.

Asked about the selection of his replacement, National Police Chief Pol Gen Somyot Pumpanmuang insisted that he needs to give the matter his most careful consideration before he can make any decision. He said he will not seek advice from other people as it could cloud his judgment.

According to the National Police Chief, five of his deputies are contending for the top post and have already presented their visions and policies. He affirmed that the name of the most suitable candidate will be submitted to the Royal Thai Police Board chaired by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha by August 20 for approval.

Pol Gen Somyot was appointed the tenth Police Commissioner-General of Thailand in 2014 in place of his predecessor Pol Gen Adul Saengsingkaew. He is set to retire at the end of September this year.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-08-04 footer_n.gif

"He said he will not seek advice from other people as it could cloud his judgment." Somyot will instead look for the man with the largest wallet to become his successor in order to empty it and purchase more stock on the SET.

Surely there should be some sort of committee to choose the right man for the job, not just the outgoing Chief. As fritzzz25 says, there could be all sorts of reasons why the Chief's man may not be the best choice... one of which may be to make sure that none of the actions of the man who appoints him ever come under scrutiny

I would like to think that the most suitable candidate will be selected on the basis of skill-set, knowledge, experience (which is not the same as length of service), the needs of the country and the force, vision and plans for reforms etc.

As I say, "I would like to think that"

Only in Thailand would the head of police be choosing his own replacement. The pm talks about transparency - there is zero here. A big fat envelope will assure a winner.

Bring on total and absolute reform of the police both in their structure and in the management procedures.

There should be a committee which reports to the public not the police making this decision.

Only in Thailand would the head of police be choosing his own replacement. The pm talks about transparency - there is zero here. A big fat envelope will assure a winner.

Just for interest there was controversy in Scotland in 1977 when for the first time ever the outgoing chief constable of a police force was a member of the appointment panel for his successor and his favoured candidate was appointed.

I'm not saying other Chief Constables etc were never consulted about candidates but on this occasion the outgoing chief actually sat on the interview panel.

It caused quite a stir but made no difference to the choice. i don't think the practice was ever repeated but am happy to be corrected.

I guess this represents "reform" at the RTP?

Check off another "reform - job done" box.

Ideally there would be a group of candidates nominated, who would be vetted internally and externally, and then an independent board, with civilian representation, would make the final choice.

But that would be too transparent.

Choose a dart, throw it.

It is fairly common knowledge that top Police buy their positions and to continue with this system is not to stamp out corruption. For the top Cop to say he doesn]t want anyone else to cloud his judgement in decidiing his replacement is easily fixed. The Minister of Police plus a Police Board should make the decision and be very, very transparent and make the appointment based on skills of the person, not on his bank Account. Like Cambodia, they should try the system where the Cops can Keep 70 % of Fines levied. It may provide the incentive for them to get off their Bums and do their jobs

It would seem that the person leaving the office would be the most knowledgeable to pick the candidate replacing him.

Unfortunately the person replacing him is less likely to change the existing system. Any problems with the retiring officer

is less likely to be exposed or policies changed. As much as I don't like committees a group of the appropriate people

with the right expertise should be picked, and first propose the standards the candidates should have, then recommend the

people selected. Then possibly another group chose the person out of the top three. Sounds inefficient but if you want the

right guy have to be patient.

advice from other people will cloud his judgement.

How arrogant !

The police generals are as gods here.

They know anything, the can do anything, are infallible, are above the law, belong to the highest caste of untouchables.

And as long as this is so, there will be no progress in Thailand.

No I think it is very transparent, after all we can all see right through it.

It is fairly common knowledge that top Police buy their positions and to continue with this system is not to stamp out corruption. For the top Cop to say he doesn]t want anyone else to cloud his judgement in decidiing his replacement is easily fixed. The Minister of Police plus a Police Board should make the decision and be very, very transparent and make the appointment based on skills of the person, not on his bank Account. Like Cambodia, they should try the system where the Cops can Keep 70 % of Fines levied. It may provide the incentive for them to get off their Bums and do their jobs

Hold on now we do not want them to arrest every Tom, Dick and Harry.

Thai Police Chief to propose name of successor soon

Sounds like a new Pope being named. Will they be blowing white smoke out of a buffalo's backside when the choice has been made?

blink.png

Just to funny for words. You got my vote as the best quote of the day hands down. I am still peeing myself laughing.