What to expect after car accident

NewInPatts

Ok, so it took 3 hours at the station today.

She claimed she cant go to work for 2 months and demanded 54,000 baht from the insurance or me.

The insurance of course asked her for payment slips (she works as a cook) and she couldn't produce any.

Turns out she doesn't have a tax sticker nor a drivers license either.

Now the whole thing has been rescheduled as she will have to produce all paperwork for her claims, the insurance will have to come again to the police station and since they think they hit a money tree and not a car, they might get their 3,000 baht hospital covered and another 4,000 baht to fix the motorbike and thats it.

Haven't paid a dime and won't. I am actually looking to counter sue her as she is buried in debt, just bought a house and is trying to milk me. Will talk to a lawyer about her false claims and hopefully put an end to the case this month.

I was polite, opened the door for her when she walked in 'on crotches' to look even more dramatic but not a single smile or anything. They just want money and even the police realised it and wanted to close the case today but they wouldn't budge on their 54,000 baht.

Have another appointment at the end of this month and will keep you guys in the loop.

PS: She also kept screaming things like 'it's always the thai's fault' and stuff like that. I told her lets go to court and she got all quiet. I am sure it will be settled on the next appointment and they will walk alway with nothing.

Would have gladly paid 5 or 10,000 baht just to put an end to it today but they wouldn't budge. Idiots.

You might want to be careful if she knows where you live. You call these people "idiots". Trust me, they could be (her extended family) the most dangerous people you will ever meet specifically because they are not all that intelligent. I've had dramas with "idiots" before so I know from personal experience. It really doesn't matter to them who is right or wrong, but they probably think they are right anyway.

Remember you're only a "guest" in their country.

This is one of the reasons I don't drive here.

Edited by tropo

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff.

She has lied about money. tried to rip off an insurance company.

No licence, this also means her insurance is void.

Now she is going to try and rip you off at the next session at the cop shop.

A few on this thread mouthing off, just show themselves up.

No surprise to me all this .

Edited by onemorechang

She claimed she cant go to work for 2 months and demanded 54,000 baht from the insurance or me.

The insurance of course asked her for payment slips (she works as a cook) and she couldn't produce any.

Now the whole thing has been rescheduled as she will have to produce all paperwork for her claims, the insurance will have to come again to the police station and since they think they hit a money tree and not a car, they might get their 3,000 baht hospital covered and another 4,000 baht to fix the motorbike and thats it.

Haven't paid a dime and won't. I am actually looking to counter sue her as she is buried in debt, just bought a house and is trying to milk me. Will talk to a lawyer about her false claims and hopefully put an end to the case this month.

I was polite, opened the door for her when she walked in 'on crotches' to look even more dramatic but not a single smile or anything. They just want money and even the police realised it and wanted to close the case today but they wouldn't budge on their 54,000 baht.

Have another appointment at the end of this month and will keep you guys in the loop.

PS: She also kept screaming things like 'it's always the thai's fault' and stuff like that. I told her lets go to court and she got all quiet. I am sure it will be settled on the next appointment and they will walk alway with nothing.

Would have gladly paid 5 or 10,000 baht just to put an end to it today but they wouldn't budge. Idiots.

You might want to be careful if she knows where you live. You call these people "idiots". Trust me, they could be (her extended family) the most dangerous people you will ever meet specifically because they are not all that intelligent. I've had dramas with "idiots" before so I know from personal experience. It really doesn't matter to them who is right or wrong, but they probably think they are right anyway.

No way

Im a paying customer, guest !!!!!!!!! what a joke now days

No way

Dude, you're a guest here, you have no right of abode or residency and no amount of your braying about how much you're paying, will change that.

No way

Dude, you're a guest here, you have no right of abode or residency and no amount of your braying about how much you're paying, will change that.

Dude you can see yourself that way. fine by me

Dude I don't, ok Dude.

When renewing my car insurance in July I asked what I should do if I have an accident. AXA said call them immediately, do not admit anything, do not sign anything and let their rep deal with it. Rep should be on site within 30 minutes in the Pattaya area.

In addition to that I have Car Camera back and front.

I only buy 1st class insurance.

Why did she say 'it's always the thai's fault'? Did the "police" blame her for anything?

Edited by NightRider70

That played out pretty much as I expected when the injured party chose to follow the give me money course at Nongprue police station. The OP shouldn't be thinking that the Nongprue cops are in any way on his side and want to close the case. If they wanted to, they would have done so yesterday. Remember that they will get a percentage of any remuneration that they feel compelled to arrange although the insurance company won't follow that course, the cops may expect you to blink and agree on additional cash payment to make it all go away. Don't.

On my recent experience with those guys, our mobile number was given to the claimant and family members and telephone harassment of my wife commenced. The cops and the insurance agent were only ones with that mobile number. If this happens, the OP should limit his communications on the matter to his insurers and kick it up a notch by getting the regional or Bangkok manager of the insurers claims department involved. After we did this, my wife got further reassurances direct from that management to leave it all with the insurance company and don't bother with a lawyer since if the injured party holds out, the insurers will sue them (get their own lawyer). Based on my experience, the next meeting will be the last and if there's any feet dragging by injured parties, the insurance company will make a final offer and that is the end of it.

In our case, the whole thing took about 4 weeks to resolve over three meetings at the police station but we did have 2 seriously injured motorbike riders (underage, no license, no insurance) who planted their bike in the side of our car. The second meeting saw the parents come out with all sort of hypotheticals of 'What if my daughter cannot walk again?' and my response was maybe she can look to her dad and ask him why he allowed them to ride around at 11 PM (my wife hustled me out of the negotiating table at that point but they got my drift). They were holding out for 350k baht per victim... a nice little earner.

Edited by NanLaew

When renewing my car insurance in July I asked what I should do if I have an accident. AXA said call them immediately, do not admit anything, do not sign anything and let their rep deal with it.

My broker said the same thing and I suspect that she knows what she is talking about.

+1

I've been involved in three accidents over ten years and have always done exactly that and there's never been a problem or even a single teeny weeny issue. Interestingly, two of those accidents involved the other (Thai) driver asking me if I wanted to call the police and when I replied yes, they made the call for me whilst I called my insurance agent, this despite the fact they were clearly the guilty party in the accident..

That played out pretty much as I expected when the injured party chose to follow the give me money course at Nongprue police station. The OP shouldn't be thinking that the Nongprue cops are in any way on his side and want to close the case. If they wanted to, they would have done so yesterday. Remember that they will get a percentage of any remuneration that they feel compelled to arrange although the insurance company won't follow that course, the cops may expect you to blink and agree on additional cash payment to make it all go away. Don't.

On my recent experience with those guys, our mobile number was given to the claimant and family members and telephone harassment of my wife commenced. The cops and the insurance agent were only ones with that mobile number. If this happens, the OP should limit his communications on the matter to his insurers and kick it up a notch by getting the regional or Bangkok manager of the insurers claims department involved. After we did this, my wife got further reassurances direct from that management to leave it all with the insurance company and don't bother with a lawyer since if the injured party holds out, the insurers will sue them (get their own lawyer). Based on my experience, the next meeting will be the last and if there's any feet dragging by injured parties, the insurance company will make a final offer and that is the end of it.

In our case, the whole thing took about 4 weeks to resolve over three meetings at the police station but we did have 2 seriously injured motorbike riders (underage, no license, no insurance) who planted their bike in the side of our car. The second meeting saw the parents come out with all sort of hypotheticals of 'What if my daughter cannot walk again?' and my response was maybe she can look to her dad and ask him why he allowed them to ride around at 11 PM (my wife hustled me out of the negotiating table at that point but they got my drift). They were holding out for 350k baht per victim... a nice little earner.

The sad/funny part is, we are actually on good terms with the cop and he was on our side (cop is a friend of a thai friend who went to the station with us since day 1) the whole time and wanted to close the case asap.

The other party kept insisting on this insane amount and insurance wanted proof for her claims which she couldn't produce. The cop told her to accept the payment the insurance offered here and thats when she started yelling 'it's always thai peoples fault'.

The cop actually called us today and advised us not to come to the station for the next negotiation as I paid my 'reckless driving' fine (400 baht) already and let the insurance make the deal. If the insurance offers to pay them 7,000 baht and they want 10,000 I should just pay the 3,000 baht difference and walk away from it.

The other party doesn't know where we live nor do we know where they live, so it's probably in our best interest not to show up at the station again and probably 'make them lose face' to the point where they seek street justice.

Edited by NewInPatts

When renewing my car insurance in July I asked what I should do if I have an accident. AXA said call them immediately, do not admit anything, do not sign anything and let their rep deal with it.

My broker said the same thing and I suspect that she knows what she is talking about.

same thing they stay in the states, Don't say anything same same if arrested, They will use everything u say, Against you

No way

No point to argue semantics. By guest I mean "alien", "non-resident", "outsider". "non-Thai", "non-Asian", "Farang" etc.

I was just being polite. Which one would you prefer to use? Whatever you choose, you are not Thai and will not be treated as an equal. In most situations you will be treated as inferior.

It doesn't matter if you've been here for decades, you will always stand out in a crowd, and not in a good way. Do you think they know or care about how much you spend?

Edited by tropo

The sad/funny part is, we are actually on good terms with the cop and he was on our side (cop is a friend of a thai friend who went to the station with us since day 1) the whole time and wanted to close the case asap.

The other party kept insisting on this insane amount and insurance wanted proof for her claims which she couldn't produce. The cop told her to accept the payment the insurance offered here and thats when she started yelling 'it's always thai peoples fault'.

The cop actually called us today and advised us not to come to the station for the next negotiation as I paid my 'reckless driving' fine (400 baht) already and let the insurance make the deal. If the insurance offers to pay them 7,000 baht and they want 10,000 I should just pay the 3,000 baht difference and walk away from it.

The other party doesn't know where we live nor do we know where they live, so it's probably in our best interest not to show up at the station again and probably 'make them lose face' to the point where they seek street justice.

It sounds like your path to resolution is almost done; as it should be with only minor injuries and damage. Your admission and paying the fine closes that door in that the cops are happy and it's just between the insurers and the money grabbers. Luckily when we had our prang, the only address they had for the wife (driving) was the Udon Thani one on her DL and on the insurance policy. The 'leaked' mobile phone number wasn't pleasant and could have been more worrying if they had got the address as well. She was getting up to 3 calls a day, some claiming they were in the army and 'connected' and other rubbish. Although not to be taken seriously, my wife found the whole event very stressful.

Good thing with Thai car insurance is that even when you have a claim where you are at fault, your premiums next year won't go up.

Every year the no claims bonus is a discount, your insurance is supposed to get cheaper every year, so at most you'll be paying the same as last year, and even that can be negated by shopping around and change provider and start anew with company who'd be willing to offer you cheaper premiums and won't have your claim records.

Even when the situation is really bad like involving a totalled car, and the insurance company wants to drop you, they'd have to give you advance notice, and that is probably too much bother for them.

But if you feel that they'd sort you out reasonably, by all means stay with them.

No way

No point to argue semantics. By guest I mean "alien", "non-resident", "outsider". "non-Thai", "non-Asian", "Farang" etc.

I was just being polite. Which one would you prefer to use? Whatever you choose, you are not Thai and will not be treated as an equal. In most situations you will be treated as inferior.

It doesn't matter if you've been here for decades, you will always stand out in a crowd, and not in a good way. Do you think they know or care about how much you spend?

If you wish to see yourself as a guest that's fine by me.

I don't, and wont ever.

Alien would have been fine but guest, No

Edited by onemorechang

No way

If you wish to see yourself as a guest that's fine by me.

I don't, and wont ever.

Alien would have been fine but guest, No

Yes I would tend to agree with this. Been here 30 years never ever felt I was a guest. Non Thai yes, someone who may not be permitted to stay one day, but never a guest. Paid more taxes than 99.5% of Thais.

I think if you see yourself as a guest, then you act in a subservient manner or something of that mind set. Not a big deal either way, because we aren't important nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Case is basically closed. Through a few connections we had the case officer replaced as he sided with the victim.

Now I had to pay a 400 baht fine and will have to meet them again for what ever reason at the station this week. Guess to sign a few papers and close the case?

My wife got a threatening phone call earlier, claiming her mother (the victim) needs surgery now (oh now almost 3 weeks later?!) and if I wanted to help to pay for it.

She told her very nicely if she wouldn't have asked to rob me in the first place we would be happy to help but please contact the insurance for assistance.

She replied something like OK we will see you in court.

Knowing that she doesn't have a valid tax sticker, no valid driver license, no insurance and no money to pay her hospital bills, I highly doubt she can afford a lawyer to take me to court.

But if that's what she is planning to do, oh well bring it on.. I'd rather spent 50,000 baht on a lawyer than give to such thieves.

Edited by NewInPatts

Update: Case is basically closed. Through a few connections we had the case officer replaced as he sided with the victim.

Now I had to pay a 400 baht fine and will have to meet them again for what ever reason at the station this week. Guess to sign a few papers and close the case?

My wife got a threatening phone call earlier, claiming her mother (the victim) needs surgery now (oh now almost 3 weeks later?!) and if I wanted to help to pay for it.

She told her very nicely if she wouldn't have asked to rob me in the first place we would be happy to help but please contact the insurance for assistance.

She replied something like OK we will see you in court.

Knowing that she doesn't have a valid tax sticker, no valid driver license, no insurance and no money to pay her hospital bills, I highly doubt she can afford a lawyer to take me to court.

But if that's what she is planning to do, oh well bring it on.. I'd rather spent 50,000 baht on a lawyer than give to such thieves.

Many like throw words like court around. Once they learn court will cost them 60000 upfront, they will change their mind quickly.

Your wife was spot on to tell the parasite to contact insurance. You can however file civil and possibly criminal case against her for damages to your car, as you said - no license, no insurance and no tax .

But forget about it and move on.

Next time , do not say a word , wait for insurance to arrive and do not sign anything

PS. Almost forgotten , her hospital treatment is free as she is employed and has social security.

Edited by konying

Tell us what you've learned from this and what advice would you pass on to others, please.

Honestly? Drive with a stolen license plate and don't stop in case of any accident.

That would be if I didn't have too much integrity to pull this off..

Alright, perhaps in due course there are messages you want to share, the obvious one being that you have to let your insurance company agent deal with everything, another might be, don't sign anything that you don't fully understand and agree with and so on....

Tell us what you've learned from this and what advice would you pass on to others, please.

Honestly? Drive with a stolen license plate and don't stop in case of any accident.

That would be if I didn't have too much integrity to pull this off..

Alright, perhaps in due course there are messages you want to share, the obvious one being that you have to let your insurance company agent deal with everything, another might be, don't sign anything that you don't fully understand and agree with and so on....

Well of course, I am just pissed that they are trying to milk me.

1) Don't sign anything unless a lawyer is present or your thai wife or a thai person who would catch a bullet for you and can translate it perfectly

2) Let the insurance deal with everything - that's what you're paying them a premium for. Only get 1st class insurance.

3) Don't try to help the victim at the scene of the accident, call EMS / Insurance company

4) Sit in your car and lock the doors, depending on where you are. Can be quite dangerous as in my case in the middle of east pattaya with a bunch of angry villagers around and being the only white person.

5) Don't take any phone calls from the victim and avoid any interaction with them outside of the police station. It will only make matters worse.

6) Don't go to the station without a PROPER lawyer ( I know those are hard to find, especially in Pattaya) unless you have family friends with police connections or can assist you in the matter. Just like in our case, replace the case officer.

Edited by NewInPatts

Sounds like par for the course at Nongprue police station. Your wife's phone number was bought from them. Just make sure your address details are not on any police statements. Unfortunately, if your home address is on your DL or insurance policy, they can sell that too.

If you have paid your fine, the case is closed and the only reason the cops want you to go back is so they can assist in a last-ditch financial settlement outside the insurance... and pocket their fee.

Don't bother with a lawyer, not needed unless they escalate stuff which I doubt they will. If push comes to shove, you can always get a new mobile number.

Sounds like par for the course at Nongprue police station. Your wife's phone number was bought from them. Just make sure your address details are not on any police statements. Unfortunately, if your home address is on your DL or insurance policy, they can sell that too.

If you have paid your fine, the case is closed and the only reason the cops want you to go back is so they can assist in a last-ditch financial settlement outside the insurance... and pocket their fee.

Don't bother with a lawyer, not needed unless they escalate stuff which I doubt they will. If push comes to shove, you can always get a new mobile number.

There are easier ways around

1. Answer the phone ONLY in English and no matter what they say answer in english

2. Rent a pitbul laugh.png