Thai baht at +35 US$

chingmai331

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope and pray that this continues, and China collapses, leading to 44 THB to the USD and NO Chinese tourists, like the good old days 12 year ago!

Good old days 12 years ago.. Must be a young pup.tongue.png 1998 January 23. 55 to 1. Now that is the good old days.

I hope and pray that this continues, and China collapses, leading to 44 THB to the USD and NO Chinese tourists, like the good old days 12 year ago!

This would lead to an increase in handicraft and local made garment exports as well as western tourists possibly returning..... we can hope.

Not even the ones with looong legs and micro shorts? 44THB would be nice though.

If my American mates boast once again how well their dollar is doing I am going to do something seriously nasty to them. Like put ice in their beer. Forget that, they already do it.

I know I'll shove koala poop down their throats.

If my American mates boast once again how well their dollar is doing I am going to do something seriously nasty to them. Like put ice in their beer. Forget that, they already do it.

You may have missed it, but when you get more Baht for your Dollar, it means Dollar is doing pretty well.

I always have ice in my beer.tongue.png

You may have missed it, but when you get more Baht for your Dollar, it means Dollar is doing pretty well.

I didn't miss it but maybe I was being a bit subtle - I'm only interested in the Australian dollar.

I didn't miss it but maybe I was being a bit subtle - I'm only interested in the Australian dollar.

Well that is a completely different story.

If my Australian mates boast once again how well their dollar is doing I .........................biggrin.png

It seems like a lot of the crowd that was declaring the end of the USD back in 2008 here in Chiang Mai have been replaced by the Chinese. Who would have thought a 7 USD short time in St. Petersburg? Let the good times roll. When condo prices dropped 80% in Phoenix and Las Vegas you know what the lifelong renters did? Kept right on renting...I think it will be the same way with people who have been on the fence about bringing over the 800K for the visa. They still won't do it. Not at 36, not at 40, not at 45.......Warren Buffet's not my favorite, but what's his famous saying...about being aggressive, when there is blood in the streets, and cautious when there is greed. Made a lot more sense than buying stock in Coke, GE, and Bank of America.

Good old days 12 years ago.. Must be a young pup.tongue.png 1998 January 23. 55 to 1. Now that is the good old days.

i'll beat you with 55.50 at Don Muang wink.png it was a friday, i arrived around noon Thai time and the news was that a big financial institution in Hong Kong (Peregrine Investment Holdings) went belly-up.

ahhhh... those were the days!

As an American can I ask????? ....... what flavor ...... you'd probably like it better with crushed nuts.

Perhaps Winnie and some of the others can comment on "the good old days" when THB was fixed at 25 to 1. Was it better then?

What was better? I think it was a mixed bag when it comes to pricing and exchange rates. Yes it was about 25 Baht to the USD, but pricing was also a lot lower. You'd go for dinner at The Riverside (mostly because that was by far the best place in town) and most dishes were in the 40-60 Baht range. Beverages in bars.. 15-30-40 Baht. My guesthouse room: 50 Baht. (which was cheap also then, Daret was pretty much 80 Baht/night.) Dutch Mill yogurt was 7 Baht at 7-11. A liter of Diesel: single digits.

However, other things were crazy expensive; pretty much everything imported was even crazier than now. Like buying audio equipment.. or a car.. Cars did go up in price of course, but relatively a lot less compared to basic everyday items.

Anyway, ask Gonzo, he can probably just grab the "1994" binder with prices out of his filing cabinet. ;)

For me personally I would LOVE to go back to 25 Baht to the USD..! Not bloody likely though.

Perhaps Winnie and some of the others can comment on "the good old days" when THB was fixed at 25 to 1. Was it better then?

That was ok as that was what many of agreed to and accepted when we moved here...... little did we know that it would, in the then future more than double ..... that was double good. I was especially pleased as I had just signed a longer term lease and for all intents and purposes my rent was halved.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

25.88 baht to the Aussie dollar..oh for the good old days of parity with the $US...

We went past parity 108 wasn't it ?

15 years ago we were getting 26 b to the A$ and now we are back down to 25.5 today.

Thats what you get for stupid short term thinking Australian Governments who thought the mining boom would last forever.

China sneeze,s we Aussies get the flu

As an American can I ask????? ....... what flavor ...... you'd probably like it better with crushed nuts.

Crushed nuts will do very nicely with a touch of eucalyptus to give it a bit of zing.

I think it's time the yanks paid for a few beers for us poor Ausies!

Spent SOME time searching google, Local news, Bloomberg etcetera today. No articles, just quotes, no opinions. It is it such a minor currency? I'd be willing to make a large transfer about now, be nice to get a little guidance. Maybe save a few bucks..

Spent SOME time searching google, Local news, Bloomberg etcetera today. No articles, just quotes, no opinions. It is it such a minor currency? I'd be willing to make a large transfer about now, be nice to get a little guidance. Maybe save a few bucks..

Do you really think that anyone who writes on those financial websites has a crystal ball?

If you search well you will find analysts that say this is just the start, while some counterparts will say that it will not move down any further, and a third analyst will say that it will recover in the next few weeks. So who you gonna believe?

the even better old days were the 70s when you got 20 Baht for one dollar, paid 60 Baht for 6 rock lobsters in an airconditioned restaurant, a suite in the old part of the Nana Hotel was 450 Baht and a working girl was very happy to receive 300 Baht being your guide for sightseeing and various other pastimes.

Interesting. How much was a bowl of noodles from a street stall in the 1970's?

A one scoop ice cream cone in California was 25 cents at 31 Flavors. (Small cone 10cents at Thrifty Drug). Now I'm not sure but one scoop in a Paper cup at Haagen Daaz in Guam is $4.50. A cone is an extra 2.50 or so. A small cone from the trendy Italian Gelato in Nagoya today is 750 yen.

I once met an ancient Danish seaman. Told me of porting in Klong Toei in the 1950's and Thai women would board during their layovers to cook clean and "serve" for some minimal remuneration.

Edited by arunsakda

How much was a bowl of noodles from a street stall in the 1970's?

no idea, never had a bowl of noodles from a street stall. but to add more colour to the picture...

...the barber shop in the lobby charged 10 baht for a top notch shave lasting 15 minutes plus several minutes of refreshing neck and shoulder massage and my tip of 10 baht was considered princely.