Thai baht at +35 US$

chingmai331

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From 1968 believe the lowest I ever recall was 18-19 baht per US$ for a very short period. But it did exchange at 20-25 most of the time until recent years. But do not recall any of use complaining too much even when it was a poor exchange rate - being in Thailand was worth it. There were a lot of less desirable places to be.

25.88 baht to the Aussie dollar..oh for the good old days of parity with the $US...

I was looking at long term forecasts yesterday, which expected parity in 2020, 1.25 in 2030 and 1.50 in 2050, so things will only get better for those of us with their money in Aus dollars if we are patient. Short term (12 months) is expected to be 70 cents.

As an American, I take no particular pleasure in this no doubt temporary turn of events. it doesn't feel as if the cost of living is getting any "cheaper." I feel for my Australian, NZ, Euro, and Canadian friends, and can see no particular reason why the USD should all of a sudden be the "hot ticket." What is this based on. Surely not onthe American economy, in which "growth" has apparently flatlined.

The USD is the best looking girl in an ugly sorority. The emerging markets as a whole are getting crushed. It's not panic time, but the Thais have too much personal debt, that is going to limit growth. 1.8% interest (and that's one of the better deals), should be more like 4% in a developing nation.

The USD is the best looking girl in an ugly sorority.

thumbsup.gif

That pretty much sums it up. Be interesting to see what happens if the Fed does raise rates, however many chartists see the US dollar going to the moon, guess time will tell. Not sure if wanting China to crash is going to be helpful to the world economy though...

The USD is the best looking girl in an ugly sorority. The emerging markets as a whole are getting crushed. It's not panic time, but the Thais have too much personal debt, that is going to limit growth. 1.8% interest (and that's one of the better deals), should be more like 4% in a developing nation.

Not 4% if you are trying to stimulate the economy.

In any case, the dollar is up about 15% against a big basket of currencies, which probably accounts for a lot of the bhat:dollar movement. Anyway, Thailand has a hellova lot of rice to sell on the international market so a cheap bhat could help! So much for Thaksinomics!

Question: Is it imported food prices and production imports causing the rise in food prices or local food production? Take a guess. Eat more rice and forget about Rimping and Tops!

getting people to spend money they don't have doesn't work in the long run. I know many indicators are based on spending (cars and homes), but it just adds to the debt bubbles. Lower taxes worked for Kennedy and Reagan. Low interest rates have made the first decade of sub 3% growth in the US, since WW II. If they are concerned with sales at Rimping/Tops they can lower the ridiculously high taxes on many of their goods.

I could accept lower Thai import taxes on food, other goods. And would not mind seeing China get an economic punch in the nose, however if happens.

how would you benefit if China gets "a punch"?

I could accept lower Thai import taxes on food, other goods. And would not mind seeing China get an economic punch in the nose, however if happens.

Maybe he has "put" options on Alibaba (if that's even possible)? laugh.png

Interesting. How much was a bowl of noodles from a street stall in the 1970's?

A one scoop ice cream cone in California was 25 cents at 31 Flavors. (Small cone 10cents at Thrifty Drug). Now I'm not sure but one scoop in a Paper cup at Haagen Daaz in Guam is $4.50. A cone is an extra 2.50 or so. A small cone from the trendy Italian Gelato in Nagoya today is 750 yen.

I once met an ancient Danish seaman. Told me of porting in Klong Toei in the 1950's and Thai women would board during their layovers to cook clean and "serve" for some minimal remuneration.

Reading your ice cream prices from long ago was a complete waste of my time. I thought maybe you had something useful to read.

Interesting. How much was a bowl of noodles from a street stall in the 1970's?

A one scoop ice cream cone in California was 25 cents at 31 Flavors. (Small cone 10cents at Thrifty Drug). Now I'm not sure but one scoop in a Paper cup at Haagen Daaz in Guam is $4.50. A cone is an extra 2.50 or so. A small cone from the trendy Italian Gelato in Nagoya today is 750 yen.

I once met an ancient Danish seaman. Told me of porting in Klong Toei in the 1950's and Thai women would board during their layovers to cook clean and "serve" for some minimal remuneration.

Reading your ice cream prices from long ago was a complete waste of my time. I thought maybe you had something useful to read.

Well I just have to say it....... your retort was quite rude. Maybe you were of the mind that only your thoughts and replying were of interest to others.....

Perhaps Winnie and some of the others can comment on "the good old days" when THB was fixed at 25 to 1. Was it better then?

the even better old days were the 70s when you got 20 Baht for one dollar, paid 60 Baht for 6 rock lobsters in an airconditioned restaurant, a suite in the old part of the Nana Hotel was 450 Baht and a working girl was very happy to receive 300 Baht being your guide for sightseeing and various other pastimes.

Back in the 70s I was earning 10GBP/day, in the 00s I was earning 350GBP/day, today my pension pays 80GBP/day.

I'm better off with todays prices, todays exchange rate and todays income.

As for exchange rates,

I jumped yesterday afternoon at 54.97bht/GBP for next years spending money, 54.53 today ...... luck not judgement.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I wonder how many folks read Oscar2 posting. I agree with the assessment of the US dollar going forward and the eventual collapse of the us dollar at some point in the future. Now you will get the folks who are blinded by greed and irrational exuberance,who will call you a conspiracy nut,but if you look at the hard evidence,it is only a matter of time before the us dollar collapses due to ongoing events currently going on as discussed in Oscar2 posting.

I wonder how many folks read Oscar2 posting. I agree with the assessment of the US dollar going forward and the eventual collapse of the us dollar at some point in the future. Now you will get the folks who are blinded by greed and irrational exuberance,who will call you a conspiracy nut,but if you look at the hard evidence,it is only a matter of time before the us dollar collapses due to ongoing events currently going on as discussed in Oscar2 posting.

I am neither blinded by greed nor irrationally exuberant....however, when you read link you referenced (originally posted by Oscar2), it states:

"The events of late 2001 with the inside job and staged planned 9/11 attacks opened the gates for a US Fascist State."

If you actually believe that drivel then, yes, you are a conspiracy nut. mfr_closed1.gif

US$ collapses? And you think the rest of the world will waltz along without missing a step? Seems mighty foolish thinking. Just as the entire world is hooked to the common price of oil, so all currencies are hooked to the dollar.

Can't agree that the dollar will collapse soon, but it might.

A link to a blog containing typical absurd conspiracy theory and bloviation. It does have some nice pictures of Dennis Hopper. The conclusion is an economic safe haven include gold and silver. Sure it will not be hard to find a link to some shady outfit flogging so-called "gold coins".

" held kept secure outside all nations that speak English, and outside nations that are closely allied with the US Fed and US Dept. Treasury which operate like a vast crime syndicate."

The reserve world currency to become Chinese RMB followed by return to the gold standard.cheesy.gif ROTFLMAO.

Edited by arunsakda

I hope and pray that this continues, and China collapses, leading to 44 THB to the USD and NO Chinese tourists, like the good old days 12 year ago!

Good old days 12 years ago.. Must be a young pup.tongue.png 1998 January 23. 55 to 1. Now that is the good old days.

Was that on the very heels of the Asian Financial crisis as in 1997?

Perhaps Winnie and some of the others can comment on "the good old days" when THB was fixed at 25 to 1. Was it better then?

the even better old days were the 70s when you got 20 Baht for one dollar, paid 60 Baht for 6 rock lobsters in an airconditioned restaurant, a suite in the old part of the Nana Hotel was 450 Baht and a working girl was very happy to receive 300 Baht being your guide for sightseeing and various other pastimes.

Back in the 70s I was earning 10GBP/day, in the 00s I was earning 350GBP/day, today my pension pays 80GBP/day.

I'm better off with todays prices, todays exchange rate and todays income.

As for exchange rates,

I jumped yesterday afternoon at 54.97bht/GBP for next years spending money, 54.53 today ...... luck not judgement.

WOW,

You plan for the following years spending money and budget?

Well done.

Nice pension money for the UK..

Maybe he has "put" options on Alibaba (if that's even possible)? laugh.png

Short % of Float is 7.25 as of 15 July (BABA)....compare that to .57% for Philip Morris International (PM).

In reply to the Appletons, aka the Simpletons, I guess the more then 2300 Architects and Engineers who have gone on record to state that 911 was engineered at the highest levels of government are also conspiracy nuts. I am sure you are correct and that your word is gospel. It is people like you who are "sheeples" being led around and spoon fed drivel which you are happy to consume.