Escalator tries to eat shoppers at Bangkok mall

Lite Beer

Escalator tries to eat shoppers at Bangkok mall
By Coconuts

escalator_0.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A trip to the mall nearly turned into a scene out of a horror movie for a few unlucky people when an escalator fell apart yesterday.

The unfortunate few were forced to run up the escalator to avoid getting grinded by the metal or stabbed in the shin at Wongsawang Town Center in Bangsue district.

Photos showing torn metal pieces and collapsed steps were shared by Thai PBS host Chonlanat Koaykul yesterday.

Read More: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/08/04/escalator-tries-eat-shoppers-bangkok-mall

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-08-04

This news comes recently following a tragic incident in China whereby a woman was swallowed at the exit of an ascending escalator.

The lady died as staff tried to warn her to be careful on exiting the escalator, she had enough time to pick up her son and hand him over to staff as the service access floor at the exit collapsed swallowing the lady...

http://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2015/07/28/china-escalator-mom-death-mall-reaction-family.cnn/video/playlists/intl-asia-samsung/

The staff had been aware of the faulty escalator.

This case in Thailand could be related to lack of maintenance, additionally it appears that staff choose not to take responsibility in reporting faults...

The China incident is a strong reminder of how dangerous these escalators could be, the Thailand incident outlines that we need to be alert here (as we do anywhere).

And... don't don't don't let your kids on these escalator with those rubber Crocs...

And yet it looks in such good repair ...

How could this happen! "Maintenance? What?"

It is all down to the malls getting the cheapest service they can and stuff the service quality. Management should be taken to task.

My god.. That poor lady.. Seriously, imagine this. Relaxed in the mall when the floor gives way only to grind you into gears and hot oily metal. Imagine the sound of her getting sucked into that. RIP lady.

My god.. That poor lady.. Seriously, imagine this. Relaxed in the mall when the floor gives way only to grind you into gears and hot oily metal. Imagine the sound of her getting sucked into that. RIP lady.

Imagine being her husband who finds out after watching CCTV footage that 10 minutes earlier the 'faulty' access cover was spotted by staff who didn't turn off the escalator.

A Tragic, violent and wholly unnecessary death because the mall staff didn't act [China Incident].

This is a minor incident that has no parallel to a recent China tragedy or anything else escalator related, you are in more danger crossing a street.

If you hate Thailand so much why don't you do something about it? If you were to go back to where you came from, and I'm not saying that, at least you would not have to worry about some minor incident when some metal fairing on an escalator was partially damaged. Do you think that never happens in Denmark, Switzerland , Singapore or Russia?

Edited by arunsakda

A good example to where the NON QUALITY CONTROL MADE IN CHINA stuff ends up.

Seriously if you have ever been to China and want something manufactured, they ask you 3 things.

1. Where are you from?

2. Do you need it cost effective or to pass quality control?

3. Do you pay in yuan? (or preferably dollars).

If you answer Thailand or any non G7 country.. they sell you garbage that they just want to get rid off fully polished in chrome so it looks the part.

We all crack jokes but we also all live here... we should be demanding safety rather than making jokes at the Thai's peril. I personally don't feel like standing in Mega Bang Na and having an escalator nearly kill me.

This is a minor incident that has no parallel to a recent China tragedy or anything else escalator related, you are in more danger crossing a street.

If you hate Thailand so much why don't you do something about it? If you were to go back to where you came from, and I'm not saying that, at least you would not have to worry about some minor incident when some metal fairing on an escalator was partially damaged. Do you think that never happens in Denmark, Switzerland , Singapore or Russia?

While I agree that there are far greater risks associated with simply crossing the road, I disagree that the China Incident bears no parallel relationship with this minor incident in Thailand.

Both appear to be a result of a lack of maintenance... Both cultures attitudes towards maintenance, responsibility, accountability and negligence are quite similar but hopefully improving with the assistance of social media.

Of course, the same could be encountered in other countries (those you mention), however, maintenance schedules are in place and more readily followed, people can and will be held accountable for not following these, serious investigations would take place.

There is a difference which has nothing to with 'hating Thailand' and everything to do with being concerned for ourselves and those around us. We can't get involved with every single issue, but spreading 'news' in social media, holding discussions on forums such as this raise awareness of the risks we are sometimes blind to.