Can a Teacher Agency Sue Me?

I'm going to start a job.

In the worst case scenario I would bail. But the absolute worst case.

Can an agency sure sue me in court if I just don't like the job? Does this happen?

There's lots of clauses saying they can decide not to pay me as well.

What are the experiences here with this?

they have a tendency to make threats from what I understand. If you get the threat in writing, email etc and it could be deemed slanderous you can make use of the abusive defamation laws of Thaialnd and make some money out of it.

Threats are usually just that with these agencies, action would see a request for court appearance

Although some Thais who are friends or associates might talk about you between themselves, the "blacklists" do not really exist.

Civil proceedings (because no criminal law has been broken) could take up to two years and cost the school a lot of lawyer money. If they can find you anyway! Immigration is not interested in your details unless you overstay or need to be traced because of a felony.

Extradition because you broke a work contract would not happen. Extradition happens for murder, major fraud etc.

There are regular posts about this. I have never heard of any proceedings being taken out. I did once hear of a white teacher "wanting" to sue a university, but he was advised to refrain because the estimate was about two years in and out of court.

Thais are fond of making these threats. Your main worry here is that your O visa might not be valid after a time, unless you get another job or you try the other visa routes (i'm no expert).

Many people, of course, just use the old line that their mother/father/brother is dying, so sorry and bye-bye.

Eddy

ah, the quality teachers

getting a job and then do a runner

the negative cycle proper rewards for quality teachers would provide incentive for more quality teachers to stay and more to arrive. I'm not a teacher, nor would I wish to be one. but it is obvious, and even worse thai racism towards the Philipinos that tend to be the highest quality teachers in these schools are discriminated against for being non thai

All contracts have an escape clause allowing you to break the contract in the event of illness. If it doesn't seem to be working out for you, it is best to talk over the problem with your supervisors at the school. They might be able to change your timetable or otherwise accommodate your problem. If you are still finding it difficult, you will need to write a polite letter thanking the school for the opportunity and advising that you will have to leave the position on the grounds of illness (stress, anxiety, mental health or whatever, against the background of a family illness etc). State the final day you will be teaching (2 weeks notice).

It is best to work at least a month so you will get your first paycheck. You might also feel a bit better about the job with a pay check in hand. It is also decent to give the school enough warning so they can find a replacement. But you will have to be firm on your resolve to leave because they will keep sweet talking you into staying just a little longer. Two weeks notice is enough.

On the other hand, the first two weeks are likely to be chaotic because the timetables are changing. Plus you might have to pick up extra classes if another foreign teacher doesn't show. You'll find that you are largely on your own in preparing classes because all teachers seem reluctant to share their lesson plans. However, the first few weeks will be content free with the students introducing themselves to you (and vice versa) and writing their profile in their work books. What I'm trying to say is to give it at least 4 weeks, if you can, before making a judgment about whether what it is what you want to do. It all starts getting a bit easier after the first two weeks. But, you will also know after two weeks whether you can hack it.

Don't feel guilty if you have to give notice because of anxiety or whatever. The school/agency is just using you as a resource and doesn't care about you personally. You are responsible for looking after your own physical and mental health. No one else will.

Edited by Stevemercer

Listen........................ if the contract states less than 30 days sick leave (which it will) then the contract is an illegal one by Thai law and isn't enforceable. Like others have said, chill out and try not to take it all serious. Play the game, enjoy it and get out when you think its time. Good luck.

Why are you signing up with an agency in the first place? It means no conditions - usually no paid holidays not even on public holidays. The schools and agents are often in cahoots - the school pays the agent 40,000 per month and the agent pays you 30,000; the agent and school do a deal and everyone is happy, except you. You should only ever work for an agency if you absolutely have no alternative. Forget about being sued - you can't get blood out of a stone. I am sure one of the joys you will experience with your agent is that the terms and conditions you signed up for are ignored by him/her whenever it is convenient for them to do so - they will most certainly not feel obliged to honour of the terms you agreed. Welcome to teaching in Thailand!

Why are you signing up with an agency in the first place? It means no conditions - usually no paid holidays not even on public holidays. The schools and agents are often in cahoots - the school pays the agent 40,000 per month and the agent pays you 30,000; the agent and school do a deal and everyone is happy, except you. You should only ever work for an agency if you absolutely have no alternative. Forget about being sued - you can't get blood out of a stone. I am sure one of the joys you will experience with your agent is that the terms and conditions you signed up for are ignored by him/her whenever it is convenient for them to do so - they will most certainly not feel obliged to honour of the terms you agreed. Welcome to teaching in Thailand!

You may not know this but that is how the world works.

The agent gets paid for its service, the school chooses to be served by the agent and the teacher decides whether they accept the salary, terms and conditions. Nobody is being forced to accept the arrangement.

If you went to 7/11 and complained that galaxy ice creams would only cost 30 baht if the distributor is cut out of the supply chain, you'd be laughed at.

Edited by Loaded

The agent gets paid for its service, the school chooses to be served by the agent and the teacher decides whether they accept the salary, terms and conditions. Nobody is being forced to accept the arrangement.

If you went to 7/11 and complained that galaxy ice creams would only cost 30 baht if the distributor is cut out of the supply chain, you'd be laughed at.

Absolutely no problem with the concept of agency, no problem with it period. No problem with market economy either. Except here in LOS where it is invariably abused. Another tool used to exploit would be teachers and indirectly a significant contributor to the general decline in teaching standards, which directly affects the education of Thai students....but who cares about that because we are making a buck! No problem with market economy or reality either.

I know of one case where a poor soul was recruited at 30,000 per month by a school and a month later was introduced to her new employer, an agent, who duly reduced her salary to 15,000...... she told them what to do with the job.

Well, sure. It's called commerce. Nothing unethical about it.

But if you discovered that Galaxy had a retail outlet around the corner that was letting those delicious treats go at wholesale price you might very well advise your fellow sweet-tooths to cut out the middleman. And there would be nothing wrong with that either.

ah, the quality teachers

getting a job and then do a runner

the negative cycle proper rewards for quality teachers would provide incentive for more quality teachers to stay and more to arrive. I'm not a teacher, nor would I wish to be one. but it is obvious, and even worse thai racism towards the Philipinos that tend to be the highest quality teachers in these schools are discriminated against for being non thai

I was let go because I look Asian.

Thai people need to get their heads out of their ass when it comes to discrimination.

I am not a teacher, but I've worked on contracts in remote areas where, for example, it has been stated in my contract, that in my leaving the contract I must give a 30 day notice on termination or the company reserved the right to withhold my salary if I terminated my employment without giving that required 30 day notice.

And, yes that is enforceable if you sign that contract as a condition of your employment, although I've never had it happen to me.

I've also had contracts that clearly stated I was being hired in a "trainee" status, and would have a 90 day "training period" and a trainee salary.

Also a clause would be added that after that 90 day training period was completed satisfactorily, my salary would be increased when my 90 day "training" period was completed.

Such contracts, can be enforceable.

That could be good for the employee as well as bad.

Edited by IMA_FARANG