Heavy pay-outs for dead cyclists' families

webfact

Heavy pay-outs for dead cyclists' families
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- An insurance firm yesterday agreed to pay Bt1.2 million to the families of three cyclists killed in a car accident last month.

The crash made headlines, prompting authorities to review cyclist-safety measures.

The victims were riding with friends in Chiang Mai province when a drunk university student ploughed her car into their group at 6am on May 3. The accident killed three cyclists and injured two others.

The driver was covered by mandatory and voluntary car-insurance policies from Mittare Insurance.

The firm has agreed to pay Bt200,000 from the mandatory policy and Bt1 million from the voluntary policy.

"We would like to express condolences to the families of the victims. We understand their losses are irreplaceable but we have done our best to compensate them fully," the firm's president Sukhathep Chansrichawla said yesterday.

He said drunk driving was one of the most common causes of car accidents.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Heavy-pay-outs-for-dead-cyclists-families-30265928.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-05

Sorry for the cyclist but 1.2 million baht is but a pittance to a non-thai person. It would be laughed upon in the USA. It is not even enough to pay for the funeral and burial. My sympathies for the losses to those families which could have been avoided.

Am I alone in being surprised that the Insurance company paid any compensation at all?

Their customer, the driver, was drunk, and therefore breaking the law. I would have thought that this fact would have given the Insurance company a reason not to pay out anything on behalf of the driver.

This may not be over yet....there is no mention of any criminal charges let alone any civil action taken by the families of the deceased. Does anyone believe a farang could walk away from this just by letting the insurance company take care of it? I hope the families pursue civil action.

Something is terribly wrong and unfair with compensations for injured and dead people following a road

accidents in this country, and it's even worse how the courts are treating gross negligence, culpable

driving but letting them go with a slap on wrist, which only enforce the drivers set of mind not to

obey road's rules.....

Edited by ezzra

Am I alone in being surprised that the Insurance company paid any compensation at all?

Their customer, the driver, was drunk, and therefore breaking the law. I would have thought that this fact would have given the Insurance company a reason not to pay out anything on behalf of the driver.

It probably prevented any payout to the "driver" like for damage to his/her car or a checkup at the hospital after the accident (just anything where money/reimbursement would have went to the driver), but the 3d party coverage portion of the policies for the people/property affected by the driver would be paid.

Life is cheap in Thailand. I remember when a section of the Skytrain structure gave way in front of the Emporium pancaking a taxi with the driver still in. it. The BMTA did not share in the blame..In the west everyone involved would have been liable.

there is no mention of any criminal charges let alone any civil action taken by the families of the deceased

Yes, has there been any news of arrest, indictment, charges, trial date?Or did she plead guilty, and do a re-enactment?

While a civil case will likely progress, if she has any assets those will have been "shifted", or a settlement will be reached.

I don't remember seeing any more news, other than a brief mention at the time of the final decision on her criminal 'conviction', of the planned civil case(s) against Orachorn "Praewa" Thephasadin na Ayudhya, the HiSo Bangkok highway 'driver'.

Sorry for the cyclist but 1.2 million baht is but a pittance to a non-thai person. It would be laughed upon in the USA. It is not even enough to pay for the funeral and burial. My sympathies for the losses to those families which could have been avoided.

A funeral costs in excess of $34,000 in the USA. That's obscene!

My reading of this is that the 1.2 million will be split between 5 people. Three cyclists were killed and 2 were injured. It doesn't say how the money will be split, but surely it isn't enough to cover all necessary expenses.

Suspect not split. My 1st class policy shows for loss of life 1 million baht/person with maximum of 10 million baht total per incident.

Agree, insurance companies are tricky, about the same level of morals as banks.

Further, "We would like to express condolences to the families of the victims. We understand their losses are irreplaceable but we have done our best to compensate them fully," the firm's president Sukhathep Chansrichawla said yesterday.

This type of comment from insurance executives makes me puke.

They are accountable to their shareholders therefore they don't pay out any more than they are required to by any applicable laws and by what's stated specifically in the policy. In fact, well established they will look for any loophole, etc., to reduce the payout.

".....but we have done our best to compensate them fully," Nothing less than insulting insincere double talk.

Drunk driving doesn't void insurance coverage. It is considered reckless conduct, but not intentional. In determining whether the insurance coverage should apply, insurance companies are to view the insured act from the viewpoint of the claimant. From the claimant's perspective, they received bodily injury or death from the non-intentional act of the car driver. Therefore, it's a covered risk.

Who gives a flying fig what a funeral costs in the States - look around chum we are in Thailand !

Absolutely correct if you are saying that $34,000 is an obscene cost for a funeral.

But it is the capitalist centre of the world and even funeral homes have to make millionaires ;) /sarcasm off

Drunk driver! Insurance shouldn't pay out anything. All should be paid by the bloody idiot who was driving.

+1 ... The drunk idiot of a student would in a civilized country be sued by the Insurance Company to pay their cost to the families ... I hope families of the killed are gonna take matters into their own hands ...

My understanding of Oz insurance (may not be the same here) is that compulsory TPPI or 3rd Party Personal Injury is required to pay out regardless, but property damage will not be covered if a driver is drunk. There is also TPPI coverage if the driver causing the injury cannot be identified, known as the Nominal Defendant.

The reason for the difference is simple. TPPI is for the treatment and rehabilitation of those injured, and needs to be covered even if the driver is unable to pay.

That is a common misconception I hear a lot . Most insurance comanies will always cover third parties even if the driver is drunk or on drugs. Even if your car has been stolen and crashed by the thief they will still cover you . They pay out for the third party then they claim the money back from the driver.

Edited by dazzz