Two Months On Aussie deal , Official Says Refugees Beginning to Settle in Cambodia

geovalin

Phorn Bopha, VOA Khmer

04 August 2015

PHNOM PENH—

Two months after Cambodia received its first group of asylum seekers from Australia as part of a controversial resettlement deal, a Cambodian government official has said the refugees are “very happy” in their new homes.

Four refugees arrived in Cambodia in early June, and are being provided orientation, health care and education, and employment services by the International Organization for Migration (IOM).

How they fair in the country will likely decide the future of the resettlement program, which has drawn vociferous criticism from human rights campaigners who argue that Australia is neglecting its responsibilities by dumping refugees on an underdeveloped nation.

The IOM’s office in Phnom Penh did not respond to requests for comment about the refugees’ progress, and the organization has declined to facilitate reporters’ access to the refugees.

However, the spokesman for Cambodia’s Interior Ministry, Khieu Sopheak, said last week that the four are beginning to settle into their new homes in eastern Phnom Penh’s Chbar Ampov district.

source: http://www.voacambodia.com/content/two-months-on-official-says-refugees-beginning-to-settle-in-cambodia/2900636.html

Let's get one thing straight. Anybody who tries to get into Australia via boats IS AN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT, regardless of what the world's do gooders and bleeding hearts say.

If these so called refugees can afford to pay people smugglers the amount they do to get onto the boats and risk their lives, then they can easily afford to pay the costs to enter Australia legally. Aussies are not against migrants, what they object to is queue jumpers. Come through the front door legally and you will be welcomed with open arms.

Also, the majority of these so called refugees ARE NOT political refugees. Genuine political refugees get into Australia without too many problems at all. The vast majority of the boat people are just wanting to leave their home country for numerous reasons, mainly economics. What they are too stupid to realise, because they don't do their research properly, is that it is cheaper to apply for the correct visa to move to Australia than it is to pay the people smugglers. It just takes time to process the applications. Very few boat people that come through the back door are declared to be legitimate political refugees. The vast majority are kept in offshore refugee camps, and when it is ascertained that they are not genuine refugees, they are usually returned to their home country, unless another country says they will accept them, as is the case with Cambodia. None of those refugees were political refugees.

Edited by TigerandDog

Let's get one thing straight. Anybody who tries to get into Australia via boats IS AN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT, regardless of what the world's do gooders and bleeding hearts say.

If these so called refugees can afford to pay people smugglers the amount they do to get onto the boats and risk their lives, then they can easily afford to pay the costs to enter Australia legally. Aussies are not against migrants, what they object to is queue jumpers. Come through the front door legally and you will be welcomed with open arms.

Also, the majority of these so called refugees ARE NOT political refugees. Genuine political refugees get into Australia without too many problems at all. The vast majority of the boat people are just wanting to leave their home country for numerous reasons, mainly economics. What they are too stupid to realise, because they don't do their research properly, is that it is cheaper to apply for the correct visa to move to Australia than it is to pay the people smugglers. It just takes time to process the applications. Very few boat people that come through the back door are declared to be legitimate political refugees. The vast majority are kept in offshore refugee camps, and when it is ascertained that they are not genuine refugees, they are usually returned to their home country, unless another country says they will accept them, as is the case with Cambodia. None of those refugees were political refugees.

As an Aussie, I'm embarrassed by your simplistic, ill informed and fat headed comments.

You obviously know nothing about the Oz - Cambodian agreement, only those who have been positively vetted as genuine refugees are offered resettlement in Cambodia. The rest of your commentary is equally uninformed.

As an Aussie, I'm embarrassed by your simplistic, ill informed and fat headed comments.

As another Aussie, I'm amazed at the criticism you have levelled at this poster. He has been quite open in what he has proffered, yet you want to malign him for saying what most Aussies are now thinking. Another do-gooder are we, one who doesn't care how many risked their lives travelling to Australian in this way. How about 1200 dead under the previous government, are you happy with that? Innocent men, women and children. How about no deaths and no boats now, not good enough for you? Are you supporting people smugglers also? How about the 5 +billion it's cost us taxpayers, and don't forget, it's all borrowed money.

You say the poster is ill informed and has made fat headed comments, give me a break, give us your facts, as any reasonable person who has opposing view would, rather then decry what they have to say. He's not embarrassing you, you're embarrassing yourself, If you don't think so, then take a long hard look at yourself for writing such an inane comment. Are you saying we don't take our fair share of legals, or are you forgetting that; don't know or don't care that the majority of the illegals are still on the drip, not having worked a day since they arrived? Milking the system for all it's worth and again, being paid for by the taxpayer?

If you're so concerned, open your arms, pay for a few yourself and set them up in your residence. As the poster said, let them come in the front door, and the majority will be accepted. You say you're an Aussie, I doubt it but if you are then I would find it amazing if you even work, pay taxes and you clearly don't care if our once wonderful country goes down the proverbial gurgler, as many European nations are now. Tell me, what is it about your type that so much dislikes Australia, because the way you write, you're certainly not a patriot.

As another Aussie, I'm amazed at the criticism you have levelled at this poster. He has been quite open in what he has proffered, yet you want to malign him for saying what most Aussies are now thinking. Another do-gooder are we, one who doesn't care how many risked their lives travelling to Australian in this way. How about 1200 dead under the previous government, are you happy with that? Innocent men, women and children. How about no deaths and no boats now, not good enough for you? Are you supporting people smugglers also? How about the 5 +billion it's cost us taxpayers, and don't forget, it's all borrowed money.

You say the poster is ill informed and has made fat headed comments, give me a break, give us your facts, as any reasonable person who has opposing view would, rather then decry what they have to say. He's not embarrassing you, you're embarrassing yourself, If you don't think so, then take a long hard look at yourself for writing such an inane comment. Are you saying we don't take our fair share of legals, or are you forgetting that; don't know or don't care that the majority of the illegals are still on the drip, not having worked a day since they arrived? Milking the system for all it's worth and again, being paid for by the taxpayer?

If you're so concerned, open your arms, pay for a few yourself and set them up in your residence. As the poster said, let them come in the front door, and the majority will be accepted. You say you're an Aussie, I doubt it but if you are then I would find it amazing if you even work, pay taxes and you clearly don't care if our once wonderful country goes down the proverbial gurgler, as many European nations are now. Tell me, what is it about your type that so much dislikes Australia, because the way you write, you're certainly not a patriot.

You also need to get some of your facts straight. 'Illegals' are on welfare as they are not permitted to work. Australian has a humanitarian as well as an asylum seeker annual rate intake set by the government. It's misinformation to claim the majority coming by the front door (I assume you mean those vetted overseas by UNHCR) are permitted entry. The claim of an orderly queue for those seeking resettlement is a furphy which is acknowledged by the Oz government etc etc...

Before you, or others respond, have a read of the content from an Australian government website.

Refugee resettlement to Australia: what are the facts?

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/rp1415/RefugeeResettlement

Edited by simple1

You also need to get some of your facts straight. 'Illegals' are on welfare as they are not permitted to work. Australian has a humanitarian as well as an asylum seeker annual rate intake set by the government. It's misinformation to claim the majority coming by the front door (I assume you mean those vetted overseas by UNHCR) are permitted entry. The claim of an orderly queue for those seeking resettlement is a furphy which is acknowledged by the Oz government etc etc...

Before you, or others respond, have a read of the content from an Australian government website.

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/rp1415/RefugeeResettlement

Maybe I should have been a bit more precise. Illegals that I refer to are those who come here via boat after paying people smugglers, have no identification, disposed of their passports and have to go through a government check in an attempt to ID them. Yes, they go into detention whilst they seek refugee status and if accepted they are granted a protection visa, thus giving them permanent residency status and access to Centrelink benefits. These are the ones I am referring to, with the majority, once granted benefits, have not worked a day since. So don't think I need to get my facts straight. Never said there was an orderly queue, it doesn't happen, it's just that if they come by plane or boat, the majority have documents to prove who they are. Of course there are some that come this way who do so on forged documents or others who overstay their visa. I understand what goes on so I don't think I need to read before I post.

Maybe I should have been a bit more precise. Illegals that I refer to are those who come here via boat after paying people smugglers, have no identification, disposed of their passports and have to go through a government check in an attempt to ID them. Yes, they go into detention whilst they seek refugee status and if accepted they are granted a protection visa, thus giving them permanent residency status and access to Centrelink benefits. These are the ones I am referring to, with the majority, once granted benefits, have not worked a day since. So don't think I need to get my facts straight. Never said there was an orderly queue, it doesn't happen, it's just that if they come by plane or boat, the majority have documents to prove who they are. Of course there are some that come this way who do so on forged documents or others who overstay their visa. I understand what goes on so I don't think I need to read before I post.

Posts removed to enable reply.

There has been research on Muslim heritage people employment rates in Oz that points, not surprisingly, to fairly extensive discrimination by potential employers. However, there would be those who wish to exploit the welfare system which needs to be addressed by Centrelink. In addition, to rigorously enforce ESL training & to audit ESL providers (there is corruption with the process by some Oz owned companies).