Eat well in CM. Make it spicy, live longer!

chingmai331

Fiery hot chili peppers...so good. But even if not eating too many, the peppers can help us maintain good health. The claim is that the capsicum in the fruits are terrific anti-oxidants and also beneficial for the digestion. Sure, some are WAY too hot but always, 'pet nit noi'. We are fortunate be live in T'land where such goodies are easily found. If we were retired in South Dakota, we would not be living as well, not eating spicy.

More here

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/08/04/spicy-food-linked-to-lower-risk-of-death/?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Actually all aromatic spices are anti-oxidant ... some more than others ... including ginger, galangal, basil (sweet & Thai), oregano, sage, thyme, rosemary, cumin, coriander, bay leaf, black pepper, marjoram,fennel, fenugreek, celery seed, cinnamon, cloves, lemon grass, etc. Turmeric is an especially strong anti-oxidant and anti-cancer herb/spice.

Edited by HerbalEd

There may be a scientific basis for spicy food. First, a lot of bacteria and parasites get killed off. Second, food absorption is lowered = weight loss.

I've noticed when I eat falang food in Australia, my weight balloons out to 100 kg. Yes, I'm big so not a good idea to mess with me. However, eating Thai food drops my weight back to 90 - 92 kg, and I feel far more comfortable.

Most Thai men seem to be dead by 40.

Ask any Thai girl what happened to her Thai husband.

Quite often a face save for the fact that he found a younger model

Possibly true; however, I'm somewhat puzzled by falangs who want to hook up with a Thai female in the 20 - 25 year age range. Mostly airheads. On the other hand, Thai women in the 35 - 45 year range are usually sensational, because they have life experience.

Japanese food is not spicy at all yet the average life span is longest in the world at 84 years.

Check out the statistics on breast cancer in Japanese women. Before WWII. it was almost unknown with the traditional low-fat diet. After WWII. it has skyrocketed as more Japanese women started eating McDonald's etc.

Japanese food is not spicy at all yet the average life span is longest in the world at 84 years.

Togarashi... a Japanese Capsicum, the species Capsicum annuum, and commonly translated as chili pepper. Pretty common stuff.

Shichi-mi ... a common Japanese spice mixture containing chili pepper, black pepper, plus five other spices

Tobanjan ... a very spicy chili pepper paste

Shisen Tobanjan ... even spicer!

Wasabi ... even spicier than Shisen Tobanjan

If it weren't for these, plus an application of Gochujang (even though it's Korean, it's sold in every Japanese supermarket and mom&pop shop,) I would have starved when I lived in Japan!

Check out the statistics on breast cancer in Japanese women. Before WWII. it was almost unknown with the traditional low-fat diet. After WWII. it has skyrocketed as more Japanese women started eating McDonald's etc.

Every Japanese school teacher is REQUIRED to be screened for stomach cancer EVERY Year... Barium cocktail and all. And every Japanese resident (including resident expats) are offered free (or close to it) yearly health checks including screening for stomach cancer.

Every health-food store in every country sells loads of Green Tea, touting it as the best way to avoid cancer. Yet green tea is consumed with breakfast, lunch, and dinner by children and adults in Japan. Yet the Japanese still obsess about yearly checking for stomach cancer, and both breast cancer and lung cancer numbers are staggering.

The tea isn't working in Japan and the chili peppers aren't working in Thailand. On the other hand, they both taste really good, and that's what really counts in the long run. Ain't nobody gonna live forever.

Still remember a Corporate Dinner from over 20 years ago, when I first had Japanese food.

There was a Green blob on my plate, didn't know what it was, so I asked the Country Manager.

Straight faced ( he was German) he said it was delicious & best eaten whole on it's own, & to make sure I chewed it thoroughly.

Of course, I did!!!

sick.gif

Quite like it now, though.

the spicy foods are more satisfying, allowing you to eat less, which is usually a good thing. It's good for the skin, and also keeps you cool on a hot day. Pepper consumption in Mexico is similar to Thailand. I've seen laborers pack a bottle of hot sauce in their lunch. Unfortunately, what they gain by eating the healthy peppers is offset by way too much sugar. The fresh citrus also seems to be high in anti-oxidants and its users can look healthier.

A serious question to which a proper reply would be appreciated. smile.png

When I eat something very spicy - not by Thai standards though, I get the 'ring burn' next day.

Do you suppose that Asian people have a thicker mucous membrane in their digestive systems?

A serious question to which a proper reply would be appreciated. smile.png

When I eat something very spicy - not by Thai standards though, I get the 'ring burn' next day.

Do you suppose that Asian people have a thicker mucous membrane in their digestive systems?

Possibly true, although I think it is a matter of acclimatization. When I first came here, I could only tolerate very small amounts of spice. Now I use quantities not far off the average Thai.

There are plenty of examples of genetic adaptation. The epicanthic fold in the eyelid in Asians was originally an adaptation to prevent snow blindness. Eskimos and Inuits consume quantities of meat and fat which would kill your average Caucasian. Presumably they have enlarged gall bladders.

They met Little Boy and Fat Man well before McDonald came around. Nothing good about any of it.

It may be give health benefit but surely not good experience in the toilet disposing it

No problem once you are used to the hot peppers. I used to get that "ring of fire" also. Hell of a painful burning time on the toilet. The reason ? Because I wasn't eating hot peppers or hot sauce often enough. I hadn't developed a tolerance to them.

They were not a regular part of my diet at least a few times a week. So I paid the burning painful price the next day on the toilet.

But I ended up eating hot sauce or peppers in my food more often.... and .......ta -da....no more "ring of fire". Haven't had that problem in years.

People that have the "ring of fire" when taking a dump don't eat hot peppers or have hot sauce often enough . My toilet experiences are just fine.

Yep ... I've been eating spicy food, chilies, and garlic most every day for decades. I once had a boring old white dude doc who suggested avoiding spicy food. I told him in a more polite way to stick his boring diet advice where the sun don't shine ... also, no ring of fire here. It would feel wrong not to have that stuff, like all the time, the way Koreans feel weird if they don't get their KIMCHI fix.

Edited by Jingthing

Quite a few of us got our start eating spicy foods in the Military. We had those little bottles of Tabasco sauce that we used liberally to add (or cover up) flavor of the field rations they served us in Vietnam. By the late '60's we were adding Tabasco sauce to corn flakes! Did we live any longer than the civilians who wouldn't even use salt and pepper?

The "antioxident" buzzword is interesting as antioxidents are only detecable in undigested food, the theory is they prevent cell damage from their absorbtion. In reality they are probably destroyed by the acid in the stomach as they are not detectable in the blood. Most of the foods that have the A.Os taste good and have vitamins and minerals so keep eating them anyway.