New Honda CRF 1000L Africa Twin

Sure

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That could put the cat amongst the pigeons looks and sounds awesome.....

I was looking at at Tiger Xcx as the next bike if they ever get a proper dealership in Pattaya but if this is built in Thailand and stocked through Big Wing I will be seriously looking at this, not sure about DCT but I am not afraid of new tech can you imagine what we would all be riding if we all were....

If the rumours are right at 550k then that is right on Triumph Tiger Xcx money!.....

in my experience I have only ever had very good service from Pattaya Big Wing and that would swing it for me, much as I think the Triumph is a proper beast the peace of mind of Honda servicing in Thailand cant be sniffed at, either way a good time to be into bikes in Thailand more choice at reasonable prices can only be a good thing....

I would be surprised if it came without ABS as all new bikes in the Euro market must have ABS by law and all the competitors have it, traction control and variable rider modes, I really don't think Honda will release a 1000cc flagship model without it, have you any link to this information?

I have not seen any info on a non DCT model but it would be great if there is one too...

Edited by mark131v

There is a model with normal gear changing coming as well and that is the one some think will be the 550k baht one for Thailand.

Yes ABS is pretty much standard now.

On the Africa twin you can switch off the ABS on the rear brake when riding on gravel roads.

There is a model with normal gear changing coming as well and that is the one some think will be the 550k baht one for Thailand.

Yes ABS is pretty much standard now.

On the Africa twin you can switch off the ABS on the rear brake when riding on gravel roads.

Excellent news!!

If it is in the same ballpark of 550k then that is decision made for me and It will be the next bike I own, don't even need a test ride to know and a deposit will be going down as soon as it's possible to...

I highly doubt Honda would sell this bike without ABS here. I'm not aware of any bike sold at Bigwing that doesn't have ABS. From 500cc all the way up.

Judging by the official price in Germany, 470k could be realistic if made in Thailand, otherwise probably 500k - 550k.

Don't think it will be manufactured here, possibly Spain or Japan from what I gather.

Their factory in Spain I think caters to the European market and actually afaik only assembles. It would make the bike cost here north of 1M THB if it came from Spain because of import duties. Worst case probably Japan which now has or soon will have 0% duty. I hope it's made here because that makes it more likely to have a test ride available :) Plus easier to get spares if needed.

I would be surprised if it came without ABS as all new bikes in the Euro market must have ABS by law and all the competitors have it, traction control and variable rider modes, I really don't think Honda will release a 1000cc flagship model without it, have you any link to this information?

I have not seen any info on a non DCT model but it would be great if there is one too...

Are you sure that this ABS law has come into force yet. I thought it was due in the near future?

I believe the first Visordown FB article said the cheaper Africa Twin had no ABS and I agree with you, a crazy decision!

Honda Germany lists ABS as a 600 Eur option. Red or white colors 300 Eur. Those are some ridicolous prices. I hate stuff like that. Puts me really off.

DCT is 1120 Eur.

It better be a crazy good handling bike because spec and price wise it doesn't have all too much going for it.

Honda Germany lists ABS as a 600 Eur option. Red or white colors 300 Eur. Those are some ridicolous prices. I hate stuff like that. Puts me really off.

DCT is 1120 Eur.

It better be a crazy good handling bike because spec and price wise it doesn't have all too much going for it.

If they want extra 300 for a different colour I would buy the cheapest colour and get it custom painted

Are they trying to be ducati or something? <deleted> Honda charging more for a different colour lol

Hope it does and assuming the price would be reasonable I'm holding off buying a Triumph for the meantime.

As for DCT, many are switching and swearing by it. No experience of it myself. I just wonder how fair going u a tricky section where you'd normally feather the clutch to maintain control?

Edited by BBJ

• 5 months later...

Went to see it at the Bangkok Motorcycle Festival (Central World) yesterday and it looks fantastic, all the reviews I've read are good to raving. I think the competition are going to have to re-evaluate their pricing, I was after the the Tiger or FJ-09 this year but now dead set on the Honda. Prices are 550k for the manual and 580k for the DCT Auto model.

FJ-09 are cheaper, looks much better, rides better on asphalt but okay if you need off-road capabilities then the AF is the way to go.

The FJ-09 gets very very good reviews all over the board and sells like hot cakes WW but not many Yamaha big bike service centers in Thailand as yet.

Don't like the bi-cycle front wheel on the AF at all.

FJ-09 are cheaper, looks much better, rides better on asphalt but okay if you need off-road capabilities then the AF is the way to go.

The FJ-09 gets very very good reviews all over the board and sells like hot cakes WW but not many Yamaha big bike service centers in Thailand as yet.

How do you know the Tracer rides better on asphalt than the Africa Twin? I've read the Africa Twin is very well sorted out in terms of engine smoothness, power delivery, comfort and balance.

The Tracer is sportier but I'm pretty sure it's less comfy and in general less refined. It got better wheels for on-road though.

In the end they are both good bikes with different characters. I'll try to test ride both once available.

How do you know the Tracer rides better on asphalt than the Africa Twin? I've read the Africa Twin is very well sorted out in terms of engine smoothness, power delivery, comfort and balance.

The Tracer is sportier but I'm pretty sure it's less comfy and in general less refined. It got better wheels for on-road though.

In the end they are both good bikes with different characters. I'll try to test ride both once available.

Agree,some reports say that the tracer is uncomfortable for long distances and has the same suspension issues as the MT.

If I had to choose, I'd go Africa Twin.

Agree,some reports say that the tracer is uncomfortable for long distances and has the same suspension issues as the MT.

If I had to choose, I'd go Africa Twin.

What I can read on on-line test reports the suspension and throttle is way better than on the MT-09 but okay still budget.

On the AT I would not fell comfortable doing a high speed soft corner with that bi-cycle front wheel.

The 3 pot engine is sweet man, the toque is almost linear though the revs, so you have power no matter what rev zone you are in.

If I had to choose; FJ-09

Okay this is AT tread so I rest my case now.

What I can read on on-line test reports the suspension and throttle is way better than on the MT-09 but okay still budget.

On the AT I would not fell comfortable doing a high speed soft corner with that bi-cycle front wheel.

The 3 pot engine is sweet man, the toque is almost linear though the revs, so you have power no matter what rev zone you are in.

If I had to choose; FJ-09

Okay this is AT tread so I rest my case now.

Well from what I read online the suspension and throttle are not budget at all.

The suspension is fully adjustable and most people describe it as really really good.

Throttle again, no idea where you got the budget from but I've read that the fueling is extremely good.

On the MT09 they definitely are budget.

Agreed though that this aint a race bike and because of the wheel sizes wont corner as nicely as other bikes.

But that's not what it's made for. It's an adventure and touring bike. You don't take it to the track.

Personally, I'd actually also whish it had more on-road oriented tires.

While the triple from Yamaha is getting a lot of praise, you can't bring torque as an argument against the Africa Twin as it got more torque across the whole rev range smile.png. No dips or jumps either in that curve.

You gotta rev the MT09 past 6.5k RPM to get where the Africa Twin starts with. At that point the MT09 wakes up.

I wouldn't call either one better than the other in terms of engine. They are just different.

The MT09 triple is sportier, likes to rev. And the Africa Twin has low down grunt but doesn't go much past 7k RPM.

For long distance touring I'd say the twin is better suited.

Termi-Dyno2.jpg

20162618192.jpg

Well it all comes down to personal taste and intended use for the bike.

Yesterday while out riding on my Versys, I encountered 2 BMW GS1200 being rode by Thais. They had some kind of comms fitted on their helmets and was talking away when I was with them at a red light.

When green light they gunned the Bimmers and I was really struggling keeping up and they were pulling away pretty quick and I was at over 180 km/h indicated before I chickened out as this was on Sukhumvit near Pattaya.

I caught them again when passing Pattaya and I was stunned how they could filter between the cars with huge alu side boxes fitted. I could not shake them off despite my bike is much narrower/smaller and both Bimmers had those huge side boxes and one had a lady passenger too.

Ohh off topic again, sorry got carried away.

Hmm no wonder I got smoked, those GS1200 have 125 hp against my V's vee 69, well well.

Edited by guzzi850m2