New Honda CRF 1000L Africa Twin

Sure

I saw on the Facebook page of Big Wing Rama 3 that they're taking orders, price is 580,000 for the DCT and 550,00 without.

Colours: black & grey (DCT), black & red/black (manual).

They have the financing details there too.

Still can't decide manual or DCT

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw on the Facebook page of Big Wing Rama 3 that they're taking orders, price is 580,000 for the DCT and 550,00 without.

Colours: black & grey (DCT), black & red/black (manual).

They have the financing details there too.

Still can't decide manual or DCT

For delivery when?

Is there one in the showroom yet?

One sales guy at Honda Bigwing Phuket mentioned May, but that was before the unvailing in Thailand.

The bike was on the official Honda Bigwing site for some time but now they removed it again.

I really hope they reconsider the color choices. They *must* have seen the complaints about that...

The video blogger 'Cageron2wheels' has an interesting off & on road review. He loved the bike (even after falling off it) but mentioned that the front end felt unstable/soft when riding fast on road (100mph+). He also mentioned an 'Adventure pack' with good taller screen & full luggage included.

Edited by DILLIGAD

I'm more or less decided on the DCT version but according to the brochure I picked up at the BMF the colour choices are quite limited:

CRF1000AG 3TH CRF Rally Red, Blue, White 550,000 (Manual Version)

CRF1000AG AG CRF Black 550,000 (Manual Version)

CRF1000DG CRF Black 580,000 (DCT Version)

CRF1000DG CRF Grey 580,000 (DCT Version)

So no Red or White Tri Colour for the DCT models which were my first and second choice in that order facepalm.gif The Honda Big Wing site just shows Red, Silver or Black as colour choices not mentioning the variant tie-in but they don't even have the specs up yet so I'm not hopeful. Anyone know of a good vinyl wrapping company in Bangkok if the worst comes to the worst?

For those worrying that it's too heavy or underpowered to have fun on have a look at the vid here https://youtu.be/j3GqtAwVlV8

I'm more or less decided on the DCT version but according to the brochure I picked up at the BMF the colour choices are quite limited:

CRF1000AG 3TH CRF Rally Red, Blue, White 550,000 (Manual Version)

CRF1000AG AG CRF Black 550,000 (Manual Version)

CRF1000DG CRF Black 580,000 (DCT Version)

CRF1000DG CRF Grey 580,000 (DCT Version)

So no Red or White Tri Colour for the DCT models which were my first and second choice in that order facepalm.gif The Honda Big Wing site just shows Red, Silver or Black as colour choices not mentioning the variant tie-in but they don't even have the specs up yet so I'm not hopeful. Anyone know of a good vinyl wrapping company in Bangkok if the worst comes to the worst?

For those worrying that it's too heavy or underpowered to have fun on have a look at the vid here

I hear the colours are also different for the European and US markets.

Sure like the look of that tri-colour manual AT!

• 4 weeks later...

Bigwing Phuket manager yesterday also confirmed to me no red with DCT nor any tricolor white. And availability May.

I really can't understand such a stupid color choice decision on Hondas part.

Took a trip up to Big Wing Bangkok on Monday they only had one display model and that was out at a show, info as follows:

Current delivery schedule is first batch arriving early June, 2nd batch late June Early July.

Prices as previously reported

No Tri-Colour in any model.

Manual available in Red or Black

DCT available in Black or Silver

No price or delivery info available on official accessories at this time

I asked the sales guy why no Tri-Colour and apparently a survey was taken and Tricolour or White was considered old style and unpopular but he confided in me that almost all enquires were about these very colours!

I almost went manual just to get a Red one but ultimately it's about the riding experience and I think that DCT will give me more confidence to push it on the dirt tracks, so once again can anybody recommend a good vinyl wrapping shop or spray painters? So all that remains now is to make my choice between 2 colours I dislike for this style of bike and put my deposit down.

I asked the sales guy why no Tri-Colour and apparently a survey was taken and Tricolour or White was considered old style and unpopular but he confided in me that almost all enquires were about these very colours!

That's clear kee kwai. Having Tri-Color as an option doesn't really cost anything and they are advertising red and Tri-Color everywhere.

And red apparently is good enough for manual but not good enough for DCT? Riiiight.

In Europe they are selling mostly Tri-Color and Red models, very unpopular and old style indeed.

It's some kind of bean-counter revenue or supply chain optimization (that is not achieving its goal). Tri-Color and red cost them a bit more and other markets seem to use up all the currently available supply.

That's why they don't offer them in markets that they deem less important. I'm pretty sure next year they'll introduce them as bold new colors.

Tri-Color on the 650 range was also 3k more expensive than the others.

Bigwing Phuket also told me many are asking about Red DCT or Tri-Color. There is clearly a demand.

Some people like me are holding out for that reason. I don't want to wrap a new bike because they decided to not offer what was advertised and will likely be introduced later.

Overreaction? Possibly. It just rubs me the wrong way.

Nice bike and I could see a real dilemma If had to choose between the manual and dct models.

I have a dct Ctx and on tar its as quick or quicker than I could go with the same bike as a manual.

If on dirt I would say the manual bike would have to be the best choice.

You have different modes to choose from but basically all u have is the throttle to adjust wheel speed on the auto. You can't regulate or separate engine speed from wheel speed as u can with a manual clutch .. Can't regulate torque to the wheel with only a throttle synced to a definite wheel speed.

The auto will lose out to the manual in rough going ..I can't see a way around that as an owner of a dct.

If your using this bike for 90% tar work then yes ... The dct is great !

@eisfeld Not an overreaction at all, the colour choices were a dumb decision and a disservice to the customers. My problem is I'll be looking to keep this bike for a very long time, it will be used to replace my 2011 Speed Triple as my daily runner, tourer and for the occasional off road foray, running costs and replacement parts & accessories are a big consideration and Honda seem to be able to do this cheaper than it's competitors, if not for that I'd probably be having another very hard look at the Triumph Tiger 800XCX.

@shaggersback According to the reviews I've seen the DCT does a great job on the dirt even on steep inclines for all but the most seasoned riders, rear wheel steering is not a problem. The last off-roading I did was decades ago but I'd really like to have a go on the AT, if the DCT can handle it, it allows me to focus on the other input challenges the dirt requires. Having said that the manual gear box is said to be excellent, smooth as butter and has a weight advantage.

Edited by PhiPhi

I would buy DCT on this kind of bike. The engine is not "exciting" enough that you need MT. I see this as a comfortable and safe go anywhere bike. Really the perfect bike for Thailand. It's a shame that the DCT is not available in Tri col or red/black/white. Don't forget that the AT makes it also easier to ride for many. Also safer.

Went to the motor show yesterday and ordered a Black DCT model for delivery June/July, still no info on accessories pricing. I spoke to a rep from a 3M vinyl wrap company and they estimated about 12k to do a tricolor wrap, Honda estimated 2-3k to dissemble the plastics and refit once I'd got them wrapped, I'm annoyed about the additional cost but at least I have some solid options.

So 15k in total and you still don't have the matching seat nor wheel nor handlebar. I'll pass on that.

Tomorrow I'll bring my CBR to Bigwing for 42k km service and tell them I'll order the bike if I can get red or tricolor with DCT. Up to them :)

Or you can order the original parts, they're distributed from the same warehouse other parts you can order...

Sure but to make it look like the Tricolor they sell in other countries you'll have to pay how much? All the fairing parts, handlebar, rims, seat, tank, fenders, hand guards. I'm sure I missed something. Probably a nice set at 30k THB or so.

Or you can order the original parts, they're distributed from the same warehouse other parts you can order...

Sure but to make it look like the Tricolor they sell in other countries you'll have to pay how much? All the fairing parts, handlebar, rims, seat, tank, fenders, hand guards. I'm sure I missed something. Probably a nice set at 30k THB or so.

Some parts you buy, some you wrap and some you leave as is. Never van make it 100% same. I would start buy buying fenders, fairing and other simple plastic parts from Honda. Tank you wrap. Handlebars will be very cheap to buy. Wheels will be biggest problem. But most problems you can powder coat them in gold. If possible, it will be around 1000 thb a piece. Edited by Nickymaster

• 3 months later...

Has anyone got one and how is it? I haven't see any on the road in Bangkok yet

And you wont for a good while. That's because Honda has delayed deliveries in Thailand until the end of the year (Nov/Dec).

The official explanation is the earthquake in Japan that hit one of their factories hard but it doesn't fully explain why other countries are still getting deliveries. My guess is that they don't see Thailand as an important market for the Africa Twin. Or maybe they decided that they want to build it here and need time to establish the manufacturing infrastructure for this model? Who knows.

The good news is it will give Honda time to realise the mistake they have made not offering the tri-colour for DCT. It might also speed Yamaha's new Tenere up too.

And which numpty at Honda decided on tubed tires!

Edited by BBJ

Tubed tires on the T120 are just moronic imho but on the Africa Twin I can remotely see a reason with all the offroad action it is aimed at.

A good article discussing the pros and cons of tubed vs tubeless: http://www.roadrunner.travel/magazine/read/may-june-2007/page/50/

Personally I'd also prefer tubeless as a puncture is way more likely here than bending the rim.

And when I bend a rim I usually wont be doing highway speeds while you can hit a nail at any speed.

One or two reporting problems with the DCT version already. Slipping into neutral and stalling. Bit concerning for off road!

In one or two months a firmware update is on the agenda, guess marketing push… made Honda to follow the Microsoft path… Still it’s hardware technical a perfect machine. Firmware updates are on the horizon

One or two reporting problems with the DCT version already. Slipping into neutral and stalling. Bit concerning for off road!

In one or two months a firmware update is on the agenda, guess marketing push… made Honda to follow the Microsoft path… Still it’s hardware technical a perfect machine. Firmware updates are on the horizon

People buying a modern motorcycle in Thailand have to understand that the old ECU, is now-a-days best described as a central processing unit… As it handles much more than just engine functions.

Honda target for the Thai market is about 10 to 15 units, compared to 3 digit sales in some European countries. You can probably understand that the firmware developed for Thailand has a lower priority than say the French of German firmware… (Yes even the French and German firmware are different).

I find it hard to believe that Honda Thailand only expect to sell 10-15 AT's per year?

I personally know two expats friends that want one badly and a few on another local bike forum. I think they can sell app 50-75 per year easily, if the price is right off-course.

Yes agree on the ECU, on my V mk3 I read in the service manual that they can (in case of a bad accident), go in and read via the ECU what rpm and what gear was engaged when the bike crashed.