Overstay query

hi i'm looking for some help.

myself and a friend are going to thailand from the uk on june 16th for approximately 10 weeks.  we're going to the island of koh phangan for scuba diving but the problem i have is this...

i phoned the thai embassy in glasgow this morning and was told that the visa i need is the "tourist" visa which is valid for 60 days.  when i explained i would be in the country for 9-10 days longer than this i was told i'd have to apply for a month extension when i was in thailand.  this is what i expected however, would this mean i'd have to fly back to the mainland then fly back to koh phangan again?

it seems that to do this would be a lot of extra expense and hassle for the sake of a few extra days.

does anyone know if i could go to the visa/immigration office when i arrive in bangkok and ask for the extension in advance or would it be better to take a chance and overstay the extra days with a view to settling the overstay fine prior to leaving the country on august 25th?

i don't konw what would be the nearest immigration office to koh phangan but i'm assuming it would be on the mainland?

any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

There should be an immigration office on the island, when your visa is due to run out, go there & pay 500 baht for an extension, not sure but think with a 90 day you will recieve a 30 day extension or else a 15 day, which should be within your date limit.  But if there isn't an office, take the ferry to koh samui & go to Nathon immigration office & you will be able to get the extension there. boat time is 50 minutes to Ban Rak & then 15 minutes by songteaw to Nathon immigration, you will be able to do it in a day.

I was 10 days over with my visa, last time I was in Thailand - for no other reason than shear forgetfulness!

The immigration officer at my departure, of course, noticed this. I was allowed to fly home after paying my fine - about 3,500 baht. So there is an alternative :-)

BTW this immigration officer was quite helpful. He accompanied me into the departure lounge so I could use my Visa to pay the fine.

The secret, if you don't know by now, with all Thai officials, is:

1. Always smile

2. Be very, very polite

3. Talk quietly - NEVER, EVER raise our voice.

4. Accept what the official says as being correct.

5. If you have a problem with complying, explain, quietly, this problem to the official, asking him/her if they could suggest a solution to this problem (this way, the official could suggest a compromise without loosing face).

I was allowed to fly home after paying my fine - about 3,500 baht. So there is an alternative :-)

If you had been checked by police for any reason before getting to the airport you could have spent some time in jail and have been deported.  Would not recommend overstay as an alternative.

So there is an alternative :-)

If you had been checked by police for any reason before getting to the airport you could have spent some time in jail and have been deported.  Would not recommend overstay as an alternative.

Hence the smiley:-)

I just used this example to illustrate that if you do simply forget or innocently miscalculate, your world will not collapse into dentention and deportation.

You do agree with my remarks about how to behave with Thai officials?

You do agree with my remarks about how to behave with Thai officials?

I do agree with those but do not agree that overstay, even if inadvertent, would always be a minor thing and would not want to leave that impression on anyone asking for help here.  If the worst happens they might get real mad.   :o

I do agree with those but do not agree that overstay, even if inadvertent, would always be a minor thing and would not want to leave that impression on anyone asking for help here.  If the worst happens they might get real mad.   :o

You are of course correct. Any breaking of the law is serious, and a falang who breaks the immigration laws is in a very serious and vulnerable position.