electricity service - no wan farang

boomerangutang

Most guys reading this have a Thai wife or g.f. so it's not an issue. But being a single farang guy, trying to make sense of electric service in Thailand can be an uphill battle. for starters, electric bills should be in the name of the person who's being serviced and who's paying the bill. It's not possible for farang, because Thais are xenophobic and afraid farang will take over their country. Note to Thais: Chinese are already taking over your country. Look around, and look at your self-appointed gov't giant contracts.

I have 3 properties. There are so many screw-ups by Thai electric providers, it's hard to know where to start in describing it. For the sake of brevity, I'll just list the things that have happened in the past two weeks:

>>> didn't sent electric bill to property A

>>> sent electric bill, but it had the wrong bill amount, property B

>>> bundled all the dozen paper bills in same little plastic holder, and they get rained on

>>> have 22 different numbers on the bill, all medium font. But the most important number (the account#) is in font about 0.3 mm high. Even with magnifying glasses it's hard to read. Same on the meter itself. It's as if they don't want customers to know what their account number is. Bureaucracy feeds on secrecy.

>>> Claims I didn't pay bill (I did) so calls the Thai person's name on my bill (It can't be a farang name) and tells him they're going to take the meter down. They've done that before, and when I go in the office, they say, "oh. Maybe you already pay bill." They don't know how to say 'sorry.' But I don't need a bunch of 'sorry's' I need some pseudo professional organization.

>>> Tore down my poles and wires with no prior notice - because they're (local gov't) doing road work. I go to rewire and ask if they'll disconnect at my meter so I don't get electrocuted. They say 'already done.' Stupidly, I didn't look at my meter, and instead started working. Got electric shock. They then said they would disconnect from the correct meter. They didn't (2nd time). I went ahead and did the work (re-routed the lines, did hook-ups and splices) with the power still on, because it's just too much hassle to get them to do their jobs.

The same road crew which knocked out my poles and wires, went and told me my earthen bridge had the wrong sized culvert (I put it in 8 yrs ago). I said ok (didn't argue) and asked them where to get the larger 1 meter conduit they require. They didn't know. I ran around town, and found the pieces. Cost: well over Bt.10,000. It's their easement and they pay for other neighbors' conduits, but they won't pay for a farang (they think we're all rich and spend money stupidly).

When they rebuilt my bridge, two of the culvert pieces weren't flush. The two 5 inch gaps were letting mud through and collapsing the bridge and filling the conduit. Rather than ask the government to fix their work, I went and did the repair myself, this morning - up to my waist in mud. It's ok. I don't mind getting muddy. Now I'm off to talk to the power supply people about my bill which I've already paid, and they'll probably say what they've said a number of times before: "Oh, now we see you paid. We didn't need to take down your meter." If they would put the bill in my farang name (I have a tabian baan), and then use my tel# to inform me about things awry, then things would be less crazy. But easy/simple/sensible aren't words in a Thai bureaucrats' job description. For a Thai bureaucrat, if there's a way to complicate it, exclude farang, and get more money, .....that's they way they'll choose.

I'm confused.You have three properties but it sounds like they are houses?? You are a single farang male? Are the properties in your name? If they are not then they are not yours and hence your name would not be on the Housebook or meter...

I don't see any reason why a "farang" wouldn't be allowed to have their name on the meter, this might depend on the owner of the property. Certainly, if "farangs" can't get their names on the meter, Chinese and other nationalities can't either. Hardly think Thais would be concerned about a non-existant "farang takeover" of the country. Most sensible westerners would never even consider living here as they would find it too chaotic, too poor and too dirty with no way of earning a decent income (not that us Thai based expats are not sensible, I'm just trying to make the point that only a very tiny number of westerners would ever consider living here).

The "Chinese" you refer to are ethnic Chinese-Thais whose ancestors mostly migrated to Thailand decades if not centuries ago and are mostly intermarried with non-ethnic Chinese. Thais are indeed xenophobic, and that's why they don't want to allow foreigners including actual Chinese citizens a foothold in this country. As their numbers are growing (in terms of tourists at least) very fast, I think they should be grateful if in 5 years from now there will even be any "farang" in Thailand left at all.

Seems to me you have been here long enough to know how things work (or dont), you have plenty of experience by the sound of it so you should know by now exactly how to adjust adapt and overcome perfectly.

Doesnt stop it be frustrating, and hope the rant helped alleviate the pressure and frustration you clearly have.

I have had my name on the electricity bill for 13 years. It's because I pay the bill by direct debit from the bank account in my name. The bill is also useful to prove to UK authorities that I live here at this address.

Another reason to get a yellow Tabien Baan, because then the farang can have the meter in his name.

I have yellow tabian baan, and it doesn't help for electric service where I reside. I've had conversations with local top officiers, and they're all living/thinking in old ways.

Just 13 years ago, a farang couldn't have a phone account (yes, even for a mobile phone) unless it was in a Thai's name. Looking at it from today's perspective, that seems ridiculous, but at the time, every Thai phone agent a farang spoke with would tell you with a serious face, that that's the only way it can be. Currently, that's the policy with electric service (in my town of Chiang Rai, at least): all accounts must be in a Thai person's name. One of my 3 electric service accounts is in a Thai man's name who has been dead for 14 years! That's fine with Thai authority, as long as the account is not in a farang's name.

I think it is complete untrue.....

First of all you claim to be Farang and own properties????? How that?

">>> Tore down my poles and wires with no prior notice - because they're (local gov't) doing road work. I go to rewire and ask if they'll disconnect at my meter so I don't get electrocuted. They say 'already done.' Stupidly, I didn't look at my meter, and instead started working. Got electric shock. They then said they would disconnect from the correct meter. They didn't (2nd time). I went ahead and did the work (re-routed the lines, did hook-ups and splices) with the power still on, because it's just too much hassle to get them to do their jobs."

You aren't serious? You just start working without checking if there is power on it? You need to screw down 2 or 3 wires and you can't do that without touching the electric? I would recommend to hire the next motorbike taxi guy for your electric work, it will be more professional and maybe he can also take care the bills for a small fee.

Another reason to get a yellow Tabien Baan, because then the farang can have the meter in his name.

I have yellow tabian baan, and it doesn't help for electric service where I reside. I've had conversations with local top officiers, and they're all living/thinking in old ways.

Just 13 years ago, a farang couldn't have a phone account (yes, even for a mobile phone) unless it was in a Thai's name. Looking at it from today's perspective, that seems ridiculous, but at the time, every Thai phone agent a farang spoke with would tell you with a serious face, that that's the only way it can be. Currently, that's the policy with electric service (in my town of Chiang Rai, at least): all accounts must be in a Thai person's name. One of my 3 electric service accounts is in a Thai man's name who has been dead for 14 years! That's fine with Thai authority, as long as the account is not in a farang's name.

So you've been here for over 8 years and can't speak Thai(how do you spend all your time?) and wonder why you have a hard time? I would go crazy and also be paranoid if I hadn't learned.

15 years ago I had a phone in my name.

You obviously don't have a work permit.

They get sick of retired farang barging in their with their "jai ron" attitude, expecting them to speak English etc. They make up things probably because they can't or don't want to explain things to you in a foreign language.

Quit moaning and practice acceptance, as that is the key to happiness here.

He's been a good customer, he hasn't missed any payments and he's not giving them any grief....

They're probably glad to have him :)

Could you just learn to write your name phonetically in Thai and call it good? whistling.gif

ดิรที แดน

(I'm guessing.)

It's all about physical appearance. If I went in with Thai features (whether or not I wrote my name with Thai letters), probably no problem. My name is written in Thai on my yellow tabian baan, but that doesn't help in regard to my 3 electric accounts. By the way, every yellow (farang) tabian baan has a Thai name on it - which supersedes the Farang name. It exemplifies being a farang in Thailand. Thai authorities don't want to see a farang name on anything of value. They are afraid we will take their country away from them, piece by piece. Incidentally, many of the largest hotel resorts in Bkk, Phuket, and Pattaya don't have full title (chanod) for the properties. That includes many of the biggest names in the biz. I could explain why, but it would take too much typing, and I might be bending forum rules.

">>> Tore down my poles and wires with no prior notice - because they're (local gov't) doing road work. I go to rewire and ask if they'll disconnect at my meter so I don't get electrocuted. They say 'already done.' Stupidly, I didn't look at my meter, and instead started working. Got electric shock. They then said they would disconnect from the correct meter. They didn't (2nd time). I went ahead and did the work (re-routed the lines, did hook-ups and splices) with the power still on, because it's just too much hassle to get them to do their jobs."

You aren't serious? You just start working without checking if there is power on it? You need to screw down 2 or 3 wires and you can't do that without touching the electric? I would recommend to hire the next motorbike taxi guy for your electric work, it will be more professional and maybe he can also take care the bills for a small fee.

I"ve done electric, plumbing and house building for several decades. You can tell me what I need to do if you have an idea of what I'm dealing with. You can't tell me what to do if you don't know what I'm dealing with.

So you've been here for over 8 years and can't speak Thai(how do you spend all your time?) and wonder why you have a hard time? I would go crazy and also be paranoid if I hadn't learned.

15 years ago I had a phone in my name.

You obviously don't have a work permit.

They get sick of retired farang barging in their with their "jai ron" attitude, expecting them to speak English etc. They make up things probably because they can't or don't want to explain things to you in a foreign language.

Quit moaning and practice acceptance, as that is the key to happiness here.

please tell us all about the cheque book you got from a Thai bank because you speak Thai.

is it a miracle that i have in my name two phone lines, three internet connections and a satellite service without speaking more Thai than i few polite phrases? wink.png

Could you just learn to write your name phonetically in Thai and call it good? whistling.gif

ดิรที แดน

(I'm guessing.)

It's all about physical appearance. If I went in with Thai features (whether or not I wrote my name with Thai letters), probably no problem. My name is written in Thai on my yellow tabian baan, but that doesn't help in regard to my 3 electric accounts. By the way, every yellow (farang) tabian baan has a Thai name on it - which supersedes the Farang name. It exemplifies being a farang in Thailand. Thai authorities don't want to see a farang name on anything of value. They are afraid we will take their country away from them, piece by piece. Incidentally, many of the largest hotel resorts in Bkk, Phuket, and Pattaya don't have full title (chanod) for the properties. That includes many of the biggest names in the biz. I could explain why, but it would take too much typing, and I might be bending forum rules.

I"ve done electric, plumbing and house building for several decades. You can tell me what I need to do if you have an idea of what I'm dealing with. You can't tell me what to do if you don't know what I'm dealing with.

I can tell you: The first thing is always to check if the electric is life.....(the normal cheapo electric screwdriver with the light inside is OK). Any wire that is not checked is automatic considered as life (=not touching them). That knows everyone who has done electric for several hours.....not decades.