Help: I want to avoid Bangkok´s road accidents with the train and water transport systems

MovingToThai

So I´m planning to move to Thailand for 1 year, and everything was perfect for me until I read that Thailand is second in the world in road accidents (80 deaths per day). Further research confirmed to me that roads are very dangerous and now I don´t even want to take a taxi there. Actually, I was planning to move to Chiang Mai for the first 3 months, but then I learned that there is no subway there, so that city is off my list now. My question is: can I go to most places in Bangkok just with the MRT, Skytrain and water transport system (this last one sounds curious for me but for what I have read it´s really efficient at Bangkok)? I don´t care if I have to walk up to 20 minutes from any train or "water" station to my destination, though I´d rather not having to walk 20 minutes every time. I live in Barcelona and I dont´t have a car, because here the subway is so connected, I can go anywhere in the city just with it, and if I need to go to a town outside of the city, there is another train called "Cercanías", which takes me there, so I never have to take a taxi. Is it the same at Bangkok? Thanks.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you may find that bangkok is not barcelona, and that water routes are most certainly not a viable or even pleasant way to get around.

you will need to take surface transport at some time or another unless you live and work on the sky train and plan to be home in bed every night before midnight when the trains close.

you may find that bangkok is not barcelona, and that water routes are most certainly not a viable or even pleasant way to get around.

you will need to take surface transport at some time or another unless you live and work on the sky train and plan to be home in bed every night before midnight when the trains close.

Thanks for the fast reply! I´m an online marketer, so I work from my computer all the time and have no need to go out everyday, only for socializing with the ex-pats community (I assume mostly on the weekends). When you say I´ll need to take surface transport "at some time or another", what would it mean for someone like me, who wants to avoid the roads and is willing to walk more than usual? Say, 10% of the time? Also, I´m more of a daylight guy, so I wouldn´t have a problem in finishing most of my social plans before midnight, with an exception here and there.

You might want to consider the roads in Bangkok before you decide to walk - even the poorest do not walk here - not only because of the sun and humidity but also due to obstructions/vehicles on the sidewalk (where there is a sidewalk) and need to keep watch of every step.

As for traffic accidents have not had more than a bump in 45 years of driving and using taxi here. Most serious accidents are not in cities but vans and bus routes between cities - and even then most people will never experience anything more than fear - and I had much more stressful trips in Athens than I have ever had here.

I hope you are aware of the legalities of working here as a foreigner.

You might want to consider the roads in Bangkok before you decide to walk - even the poorest do not walk here - not only because of the sun and humidity but also due to obstructions/vehicles on the sidewalk (where there is a sidewalk) and need to keep watch of every step.

As for traffic accidents have not had more than a bump in 45 years of driving and using taxi here. Most serious accidents are not in cities but vans and bus routes between cities - and even then most people will never experience anything more than fear - and I had much more stressful trips in Athens than I have ever had here.

You mean even the walkers have to dodge vehicles?? Regarding the legalities, don´t know what you mean... my business is online and I can do it from anywhere in the world. My taxes will continue to be paid in Spain, though maybe I could try to move it to Thailand if I end up living there permanently, but don´t want to go through that hassle. I´m starting with a one-year, multiple re-entry tourist visa.

Thanks for the fast reply! I´m an online marketer, so I work from my computer all the time and have no need to go out everyday, only for socializing with the ex-pats community (I assume mostly on the weekends). When you say I´ll need to take surface transport "at some time or another", what would it mean for someone like me, who wants to avoid the roads and is willing to walk more than usual? Say, 10% of the time? Also, I´m more of a daylight guy, so I wouldn´t have a problem in finishing most of my social plans before midnight, with an exception here and there.
Beware when walking. The sidewalks are the most likely place to get run over by a motorcycle.

Beware when walking. The sidewalks are the most likely place to get run over by a motorcycle.

Well, I´m more scared now! There´s no way to decrease your accident odds :(

There is no multi entry tourist visa - only specific number of entries. You require a work permit to work in Thailand regardless of where paid or how you work (although some do work illegally as is the case everywhere it will not be legal without a work permit which would require you work for a Thai company of some type and meet specific monthly income requirements.

Hi there,

I wrote a book for tourists - about staying safe in Thailand - actually wrote two of them. If you PM me your email, I could send you one or both (free)

Best

Can I PM? Just opened my account today. Got a website?

No website - PM me or I could PM you

PM is personal messenger. Scroll down from the top right hand corner where you see your TV name.

I wrote the books to save lives, not that they will ever knowcheesy.gif

Too many tourists come home from Thailand in a body bag - or their parents have to make the gruesome journey to pick up the body. Needless to say - the parents never return to the LOS after that..

If you walk a lot you will encounter everything from very poorly maintained sidewalks to motor bikes riding on the sidewalks. When a vehicle has parked on the sidewalk and you have to walk around on the road you must look out for the motor bikes that ride in any space not taken up by a car, truck, van or bus and that means between lanes and next to the curb where you may be trying to walk.

The BTS and MRT do not go everywhere and taking to the water is not a viable option as the routes and available destinations are quite limited. This means you will eventually find the need to take to the streets. The most common modes of transportation (often to get to the BTS/MRT) are bus, song taew and taxi. Within Bangkok and the surrounding areas the traffic is so congested that is doubtful you will see any accident more serious than a fender bender. I am sure that the majority of the persons killed each year are riders or passengers of motor bikes (mopeds) because of their incessant compulsion to drive as if they are invulnerable or will live forever.

Heck, Just rent a nice apartment on line for a year. Arrange for a van to pick you up in the middle of the night so less risk. Food by phone can deliver everything to your room.

You can even have all kinds of people visit as well. You never have to leave your room.

There is no multi entry tourist visa - only specific number of entries. You require a work permit to work in Thailand regardless of where paid or how you work (although some do work illegally as is the case everywhere it will not be legal without a work permit which would require you work for a Thai company of some type and meet specific monthly income requirements.

This is the visa I meant: http://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-visa/1-Year-Thailand-Visa.php

If that´s the case regarding work, then there would simply be no way I could go to Thailand and maintain my income flowing in Spain. If I applied for a working visa, that would require for me to look for a job at a Thai company, hence having to abandon my current job, which by the way consists of freelance translations and blogging. Of course I am not going to ruin the assets that have taken me so many time to build, so the only option is getting the aforementioned visa. I don´t see how could this be wrong, but even if the strictest interpretation of the law said this, the only way they could "find out" is if they had access to my Spanish bank account and saw the payments, accessed my tax reports (also here in Spain) or if they made a "raid" at my apartment and inspected what I am doing with my computer. Also, in the application for the multiple-entry visa, they don´t even ask specifically for working situation, only "proof of financial funds and travel itinerary", so a copy of my bank funds would be enough, without even having to explain where they come from (wow, I sound like a fugitive).

So basically I´d just be a tourist with a computer, who has enough savings to support himself in low-cost Thailand. And by the way, Bangkok is known as the capital of the world for online and affiliate marketers, with many of them writing about their Thai experiences on forums and blogs (that´s how I got the idea in the first place). If anyone had a legal problem, they would´ve already written about it.

Heck, Just rent a nice apartment on line for a year. Arrange for a van to pick you up in the middle of the night so less risk. Food by phone can deliver everything to your room.

You can even have all kinds of people visit as well. You never have to leave your room.

Sounds like a plan! biggrin.png

Hi there,

I wrote a book for tourists - about staying safe in Thailand - actually wrote two of them. If you PM me your email, I could send you one or both (free)

Best

Can I PM? Just opened my account today. Got a website?

No website - PM me or I could PM you

PM is personal messenger. Scroll down from the top right hand corner where you see your TV name.

I wrote the books to save lives, not that they will ever knowcheesy.gif

Too many tourists come home from Thailand in a body bag - or their parents have to make the gruesome journey to pick up the body. Needless to say - the parents never return to the LOS after that..

Body bags? Is your book about not getting kidnapped? For what I have read Thailand is a very safe country, so I am not worried about it. The roads are still my main concern.

If you walk a lot you will encounter everything from very poorly maintained sidewalks to motor bikes riding on the sidewalks. When a vehicle has parked on the sidewalk and you have to walk around on the road you must look out for the motor bikes that ride in any space not taken up by a car, truck, van or bus and that means between lanes and next to the curb where you may be trying to walk.

The BTS and MRT do not go everywhere and taking to the water is not a viable option as the routes and available destinations are quite limited. This means you will eventually find the need to take to the streets. The most common modes of transportation (often to get to the BTS/MRT) are bus, song taew and taxi. Within Bangkok and the surrounding areas the traffic is so congested that is doubtful you will see any accident more serious than a fender bender. I am sure that the majority of the persons killed each year are riders or passengers of motor bikes (mopeds) because of their incessant compulsion to drive as if they are invulnerable or will live forever.

Thanks, this was a very comprehensible explanation. Out of the three, which would you say is safer? Bus, song thaew or taxi? (I´ve googled song thaew and would only take the "hino songthaew"/truck bus as shown here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songthaew).

I am not poor, have an expensive car and walk everywhere, as do many of my friends in order to stay fit and healthy. Besides we have nice hot weather with free sauna, what more do you want.

You mean even the walkers have to dodge vehicles?? Regarding the legalities, don´t know what you mean... my business is online and I can do it from anywhere in the world. My taxes will continue to be paid in Spain, though maybe I could try to move it to Thailand if I end up living there permanently, but don´t want to go through that hassle. I´m starting with a one-year, multiple re-entry tourist visa.

If you live and work in Thailand you have to pay taxes here.

There is no a one-year, multiple re-entry tourist visa.

May I suggest that you take a short holiday to BKK and find out for yourself. I have wandered around the streets for about 15 years without incident. The sidewalk around Sukhumvit is not as crowded with street vendors during the day as it used to be, but motorcycles can be something of a nuisance, however, due to the state of repair of the paving slabs, you will need to watch where you are walking . MRT and BTS are good options but rather limited in their destinations, but I guess that might depend upon where you wish to visit. Klong taxis will get you to places that the above transport systems do not visit, again, try it, it is very cheap although sardines have more room! Taxis have a poor reputation on TVF, however, they are very cheap though you might have to try a couple of cabs before you get one to take you to your required destination.

All in all, BKK is not a bad city to get around in, over the years I have loved it, give it a try and make your own mind up!

Have fun.

KS

Edited by planemad

20 years ago when the motorways and roads in Bangkok were more like massive car parks, I used to go to work either by train or water transport. If you want to use water transport, the old railway system or new underground and BTS to travel around Bangkok, then locate yourself in an area giving yourself the best connectivity. You can find combined maps on the internet.

Khlong Saen Saep Express Boat Service runs from Bankapi to near the Royal Palace but in most part runs parallel to the Citilink and old railway (HuaMark) then the BTS.

The Chaophraya River Boat taxi services run all the way from Big C near the Rama IX suspension bridge all the way to the Ministry of Commerce Building in Nonthaburi. Personally, if there are traffic jams, I use a taxi to the BTS and walk to my appointment from the station.

Be careful of what you read on the internet. Bangkok is a great city, with accident rates about the same as any other major city around the world. With the exception of scooters...they are the #1 problem here. Most are hurt/killed on these things. Drivers here aren't as careful as they are in some countries and a majority of the time alcohol is involved. Avoid scooters and you've avoided some 75% of the problem.

The other biggie, as was pointed out above, is intercity vans/buses. Especially overnight ones. Avoid those and you'll have pretty close to the same safety rate as you'll have almost anywhere else.

Bangkok has a fair mass transit system. But it doesn't cover everywhere. Stick to places near the MRT/SkyTrain and you'll be fine. Travel away from areas covered by them can be difficult. Taxis are very cheap, but many times won't go to certain areas because of the traffic. Water transport is a tough way to go. Not for the faint of heart.

I use to walk everywhere in Bangkok. April to June is tough though. As is walking around in the mid-day sun. After sunset, it's wonderful almost any time of the year.

I also wouldn't rule out Chiang Mai. It has a wonderful and very vibrant expat community. Traffic is tough, but no different than Bangkok. The burning season is tough, but other than that, it's a great place to live.

Regarding the working don't post on this forum about it. There is thread after thread about online workers and some people have a real issue with them and think they should all be burned at the stake. Legally it's a grey area - some immigration officials have said it's fine but nothing is official. Work at home and keep it to yourself.

As for the roads, if it's such an issue then don't move here. Alternatively you could put on your big boy pants and come and check it out and see it's not as bad as you expect. There are some situations where non road transport just isn't feasible.

Are there a lot of road accidents? Yes, however something rediculous like 80% of them involve motorbikes - hardly anyone wears helmets. Also as someone else stated most accidents occur outside Bangkok. In a car in BKK your risk of an accident is very low. I've been here over 3 years and not been involved in anything at all and can only remember seeing one bump. Even if you did have a bump it's not going to be serious, have you seen the traffic here, most of the time it barely gets above a crawl!

Don't listen to the old and lazy here, walking is ok but you will sweat like a pig.

Forget BKK, move to Pattaya where it's a lot better to walk.

Seconded, BKK is a PITA when it comes to moving around. About legalities just search for the digital nomad threads here. There are plenty. And do get up to speed with the visa regulations, again, use the search function.