the ban on booze in Thailand is just on shops near schools?

Howitzer

I didn't read the initial report on this but i saw an update on this matter in the news section which says that establishments like 7-11, restaurants, mum and pop stores a certain distance from a school or a university is banned from selling all kinds of alcohol?

Now pardon me I'm just a tourist who visits Thailand but it's really going to make life more difficult for me if I need to know if the 7-11 or food establishment is banned from selling alcohol all because it's near a school of some sort on top of knowing you cannot buy alcohol something from 11 - 2 pm.

The problems are;

1. The law was passed quickly without thinking very hard about it in order to appease the anti-alcohol groups who push this sort of thing to make merit.

2. The police would have to actually close bars that they make money from in order to enforce this.

Result: Nothing will happen until a few months or years from now when it will be suddenly resurrected and used to suppress any uncontrolled fun in the name of "public order and safety."

Enjoy your holiday and don't worry about it.

Edited by BudRight

Instead of making new laws why not just enforce the existing law and ensure ID is provided before each purchase to anyone appearing under 25 for example and stiff penalties for people breaking the law and all premises wishing to sell alcohol need a license no matter how small e.g. noodle vendor etc, or am I just talking madness

This "expert" government hastily invents new laws on "bits and bobs" without any rethinking before publishing.

At the same time the whole economy goes down the drain.

What a mess.

As @Crossy wrote, its all on hold after some real experts thought about it (took them a minute or so).

An "elastic clause" is now under discussion, like "in the vicinity" blink.png

So everybody will be happy, the store owners can pay their bribe for the interpretation of what a "vicinity" is and life goes on.

Edited by KhunBENQ

The "in the vicinity" will probably end- up being informally defined "within 3 meters" of a school which should ensure no stores/bars/restaurants/etc., are impacted by the new measure. That way no seller is impacted, the govt can still say they made the law tougher, etc. Sure hope the students don't mind walking 3 meters to the nearest outlet.

Instead of making new laws why not just enforce the existing law and ensure ID is provided before each purchase to anyone appearing under 25 for example and stiff penalties for people breaking the law and all premises wishing to sell alcohol need a license no matter how small e.g. noodle vendor etc, or am I just talking madness

That is just too simple for Thai minds.

Typical politicians same the world over live with there head in a bucket

The school kids wouldn't go in there nearest shop to buy booze in case there teachers see them or find out

You really think they won't just travel a little extra to get it if they want booze anyway,what's the point of depriving the shop owners and adult buyers of booze there right to do so

The enforce of the I D rule would work with plenty of spot checks in the towns but not the counrryside ,I used to have a small mom and pop shop I had reguller custermors who used to send there kids to buy booze , the day I stopped it they all went to the shop down the road and I lost a lot of money

I live very near a large university. I see absolutely no problem. I know two nearby places which stay open as long as they have customers and I can call my local store and they deliver to my house 20/7--2-6 am they close. However, for a tip, they're 24/7; TIT. Get out of the farang ghettos, life is so much easier.

Here is something else I just learned (booze bans)

Wife just opened a small cafe to sell smoothies and Udon Noodles..in SanSai, Chiang Mai. She was asked by some neighbors if she could make "whisky smoothies" and I thought it would be nice to have a limited beer sales....closing quite early (as most customers are going to be burmese/thai yai, and, of course Thai.

Anyways...she inquired about permission to sell alcohol (even during limited hours). There are no schools anywhere near us. Closest one is at least two kilometers away. The wife of the owner of the building sells alcohol in her small store. The building has three spaces (ours, the owners store, and an office). Upstairs, there are six small bedrooms for rent. My wife was told we could not sell alcohol because there is a new law that states that no "new" businesses can sell alcohol if there are rooms for rent (in the same building)....unless (conveniently) you are the owner of the building.

The owner of the building (a retired policeman..who knows all the police here anyways) said no problem, permit would be in his name. I guess he means we just fall under his "license to sell" and he would post his license in our Cafe. Whatever the case, the police did say that our cafe customers could buy beer in the store (2 feet away)..and drink it with their meals. That would be a good symbiotic relationship. The owner and his family popped the cork with us last night and had a great time...for three hours.

Bottom line...my wife will not be stocking alcohol for now....probably just charge "corkage" and add a tiny amount to the food bill. We would supply ice and smoothies..and the customers can buy their alcohol from the owner's store. Temporary solution. Any advice is welcome. Remember, this is the wife's place..not mine...and it is a Noodle/smoothie shop. We would close before 9pm......but open by 6am for noodles outside.

Edited by slipperylobster

Chang mai seems to me alot easier to set up any kind of business than the rest of Thailand

I've been there loads of times and have friends living there

Here in surin it's just hassle all the time you can't talk to the police here it's all give

I am not sure... What she was told was if she keeps her business small...and her profits meager...no problem, as long as she does not try to sell cigarettes or alcohol. Nice to have the store 2 feet away from her...which has those things. She won't be cashing in on any alcohol sales...but expects to make enough to cover the rent, expenses and supplement her income.

By the way...she is using this as a practice run. In six months...we will be moving back to Udon, where she has family and friends...and more clout to deal with permits and such. She wanted to purchase all the supplies here..because it is cheaper (lampang furniture/bar supplies). The rent was inexpensive. She is trying to get a "system" and "menu" perfected. All done for less than100,000 baht...and transportable.

She expects the alcohol permit to be easier in Udon..actually....as long as she stays away from schools..and hotly monitored "farang girlie bars"....who are under intense pressure from military/police....as far as operation. Hers might be 10 kilometers outside of Udon. Plenty of country "gentlemen" there (and I use that term loosely). She is actually targeting local customers.

Edited by slipperylobster

Where did 10am -2pm come from, all the shops/supermarkets I go to it is 11am to 2 pm.

It certainly used to be 10AM, maybe it changed when they did away with the 10 Litre clause.

11am - 2 pm.

5pm - not sure as I am never awake that late. Think it is midnight.

Been like this for years.

Where did 10am -2pm come from, all the shops/supermarkets I go to it is 11am to 2 pm.

It certainly used to be 10AM, maybe it changed when they did away with the 10 Litre clause.

11am - 2 pm.

5pm - Midnight.

Must be suffering from brain fade :(

Been 11.00am to 2.00pm for the past wo years up herein the north east. Then between 5.00pm and close. That's for 7/11 and all supermarkets.

Chang mai seems to me alot easier to set up any kind of business than the rest of Thailand

I've been there loads of times and have friends living there

Here in surin it's just hassle all the time you can't talk to the police here it's all give

I am not sure... What she was told was if she keeps her business small...and her profits meager...no problem, as long as she does not try to sell cigarettes or alcohol. Nice to have the store 2 feet away from her...which has those things. She won't be cashing in on any alcohol sales...but expects to make enough to cover the rent, expenses and supplement her income.

By the way...she is using this as a practice run. In six months...we will be moving back to Udon, where she has family and friends...and more clout to deal with permits and such. She wanted to purchase all the supplies here..because it is cheaper (lampang furniture/bar supplies). The rent was inexpensive. She is trying to get a "system" and "menu" perfected. All done for less than100,000 baht...and transportable.

She expects the alcohol permit to be easier in Udon..actually....as long as she stays away from schools..and hotly monitored "farang girlie bars"....who are under intense pressure from military/police....as far as operation. Hers might be 10 kilometers outside of Udon. Plenty of country "gentlemen" there (and I use that term loosely). She is actually targeting local customers.

I'm glad you use the term loosely. Seen a few of their antics in the evening and later at night. Wish her success, it's a hard slog in old Udon Town.

11am - 2 pm.

5pm - not sure as I am never awake that late. Think it is midnight.

yeap, now 11am - 2pm and 5pm to Midnight.

You use to be able to buy it at any time if buying 10 liters or more, but that provision was struck out a few months ago. I miss that 10 liters provision because I use to buy anytime by buying two cases of beer...but now to buy my two cases of beer, or one case, or any amount I have to do it between above mentioned times.