Blast Injures suspected Chiang Mai university student bomb maker

webfact

Blast Injures Suspected University Student Bomb Maker
By Khaosod English

14387781121438778294l.jpg
A police bomb unit inspect the scene where they said a Chiang Mai university student was seriously injured by an accidental blast in his home/bomb-making den.

CHIANG MAI — A university student in northern Thailand lost his left hand today after a homemade bomb he was assembling accidentally exploded, police said.

The student, whose identity is being withheld by Khaosod English, was seriously injured in the blast which occurred at a house in Chiang Mai province at around 12.30 pm today, according to a local police officer.

“We believe he was hired to build ‘giant fireworks’ and he was working on them at his rented home,” Police Lt. Col. Kachornsak Pandee of the San Sai Police Station said. “His house is fully equipped with things like gunpowder, tape, fertilizer and electric detonators.”

The house was rented to a second-year student from Maejo University, Kachornsak said, who was home alone when the explosion took place. Kachornsak said the student’s left hand and left leg were “completely destroyed” by the blast.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1438778112

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-08-06

This is Thailand... Not Europe, not USA...

Did this person committed a crime ?

Do the persons , who make their own rockets to fire in the sky, are criminals ?

Is it illegal to make your own fire works in Thailand ?

Sad , but stupid accidents happen.. not only in Thailand coffee1.gif

Hopefully this will be a valuable life lesson for him, allowing him to feel a bit of empathy for those caught in the horror of bomb blasts.

Or he will or has already blamed some one or something else for his misfortune.

Hopefully this will be a valuable life lesson for him, allowing him to feel a bit of empathy for those caught in the horror of bomb blasts.

Or he will or has already blamed some one or something else for his misfortune.

The detonator did it....

To all you "know it all" guys here, here are some answers to your speculations:

it was a fire work and not a bomb. It is traditionally used at the opening ceremony of the students initiation (rup nong) and was meant for the ceremony yesterday at 3pm. Due to the bad accident the ceremony got delayed and was of course done without it.

yes and the fertilizer was for his vegetable patch .......right ? I won't go into details but it is something I am very familiar with

it was a fire work and not a bomb. It is traditionally used at the opening ceremony of the students initiation (rup nong) and was meant for the ceremony yesterday at 3pm. Due to the bad accident the ceremony got delayed and was of course done without it.

well he might have been making a firework for a particular purpose as you describe but seems he was delving into other stuff with a bigger bang

yes and the fertilizer was for his vegetable patch .......right ? I won't go into details but it is something I am very familiar with

How to make ammonium nitrate in a few simple steps... cheesy.gifcoffee1.gif

Now, thats the closed to the truth it will ever get... i hope the guy will live and others learn from it...

So, he learned something at University? Wow!

Such a pity that what he learned was not really useful. Losing a hand is a big price to pay for being an idiot. One can only hope that others will learn from this, but somehow I doubt it. coffee1.gif

You can buy bags of gunpowder and lengths of fuse in many of the local markets in CM.

I also make my own fireworks, great hobby, don't smoke while doing it though.

There's gunpowder...and then there is A.N.F.O .....as Smedly may have alluded to.

Play with the big boys........

Could have also been a bun bang fai (sp?) rocket that went bad.

Not nearly enough info here to lynch the guy...

I remember years back, the Firemen at Chiang Mai Gate blew themselves and the station up making these while drinking Lao Kao early one morning.