Disappointed with Korean Air

Card

I recently returned from a return trip from Bangkok to Vancouver via Seoul with Korean Air and want to say how disappointed I was. The return ticket at 30,500 baht return per person was very cheap. I booked it on the airlines website and seemed to have hit a low fare period as the fare subsequently doubled. It was much cheaper than the quotes from local travel agents in BKK. I was looking forward to the flight as the CNN adverts told me “It’s all about youuuuuuuuuuu” and I had seen some rave reviews about the service and food from many sources. The best parts were the take-off and transfers times – very good and smooth transfers with short waiting times.

Anyway here are the downsides;

The trips both ways between BKK and Seoul (5.25h) were not too bad – a newish Airbus – good seating and environment, although the female airline crew looked like corpses with nooses around their necks, due to their very similar appearance, white shiny faces and stiff scarves on their uniforms. Also on the return, the individual lights, whilst the cabin lights were dimmed, could not be turned on for my seat and the next one, and the attendants tried 3 disturbing times to rectify it without success.

The main downside was the food on both legs: no menu was provided – just asked to choose between chicken, beef or veggie - small portions – not enough to keep me satisfied – the tray was about 2/3 the size of the fold-up table and the ‘western selection’ of beef and mashed potatoes had instant mashed potatoes! The desserts were plain chunks of fruit except once we were given a tub of ice cream. Much of the meal components were sealed cups of food, sometimes instant, rather than the loose-lidded type. I was thinking about making a joke about turning back the plane because nuts were served in a bag, but the possibility of a jail term put me off.

The worst part of the whole trip (10.5h) were the legs between Seoul and Vancouver. The plane was an old 747 – cramped and fully booked. On the outward leg, the food was tepid to cold. The return leg was hell and this is the reason I write this whole saga.

The trip was fairly normal until we approached Japan with the worst turbulence I have ever experienced. Of course, that is not the fault of the airline, but the complete lack of assurance from the pilot was inexcusable, especially when the plane engines made a grinding sound during a particularly bad period.

A very concerning action was when we started to descend – the pilot pulled down the flaperons before the engines had slowed so they were being deployed at full speed and full height – that was extremely worrisome when the whole plane vibrated and jarred. The plane suddenly dropped about 5000 ft from this action as indicated by the flight data on the entertainment system.

The worst part however, was on landing – the worst I have ever experienced – the plane bounced off the runway with a bang and the plane veered severely left and right and I heard many screams by the passengers. This was not due to any wind shear. Not once throughout the whole flight did anyone – pilot or crew - say anything over the intercom to calm people’s nerves, except to ask to put seatbelts on. Suffice it is to say I was so relieved when the plane stopped. I hope never to have to repeat a trip with Korean Air, especially a long- haul one - even if the ticket is the cheapest available.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You purchased the cheapest available ticket and ended up with food you didn't like and not enough to keep you satisfied... plus no menu!!! that's appalling...

Read the last 2 paragraphs again, as well as "the fare subsequently doubled', which means I was lucky - future travellers may not be. It wasn't that I did not like the food, it was that the meals were substandard compared to other airlines.

Edited by Card

Best not to eat too much on those long flights anyway, they did you a favor. Usually they have the pimibab offered, and thats IMO, perfect long flight food, some rice, vegetables, spicy stuff in the toothpaste tube. Enough. Get to your destination hungry then eat some good food.

I always am curious as to why they serve food about three hours before landing............why do I want to eat that re-heated preservative filled cr@p, when I'm just a few hours away from quality? Something to pass the time I guess.

Regarding the stewardesses, not so fair as what a tough thankless job,as far as your landing, bad luck !

Best not to eat too much on those long flights anyway, they did you a favor. Usually they have the pimibab offered, and thats IMO, perfect long flight food, some rice, vegetables, spicy stuff in the toothpaste tube. Enough. Get to your destination hungry then eat some good food.

I always am curious as to why they serve food about three hours before landing............why do I want to eat that re-heated preservative filled cr@p, when I'm just a few hours away from quality? Something to pass the time I guess.

Regarding the stewardesses, not so fair as what a tough thankless job,as far as your landing, bad luck !

They did not do me a favour. I usually enjoy airline food, particularly if it fills the stomach. If I want to eat less then at least I should have a choice. There was the possibility of instant pot noodles as a snack but it's hardly an healthy option. Yes, the pimibab was on my list as highly recommended, but it was almost cold so only had it once. Remember I am comparing Korean Air with other airlines I have experienced given the usual very high cost of tickets and its supposed reputation.

Edited by Card

Enjoy airline food?cheesy.gif O.K., well thats what makes a forum right? We all have different tastes. I think I prefer the Isaan grub worms & crickets off the carts in BKK than 90% of airline food. Too bad they don't have somtom as airline food, maybe I'll start flying Thai for their somtom thumbsup.gif .

I don't fly Korean and it has nothing to do with the service or hard product (both of which have received decent reviews in "official" forums).

Ever read the book "Outliers" by Malcom Gladwell. It's about the Korean Air culture of the boss is always right and how this cultural inability to question the obvious lead to Korean Air's piss-poor safety record in the 80s and 90s.

Many think this similar culture is what lead to Asiana's crash in SFO a couple years ago: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/07/130709-asiana-flight-214-crash-korean-airlines-culture-outliers/

Very good report by the OP. All the little things that annoy do build up to make it a big thing that annoys you.

The worst part is the pilots not informing you of what is happening with turbulance. They could have at least warned of a bumpy landing. Unless there was no reason for the landing to be bumpy except for the pilots 8 year old gamer son landing the plane.

You purchased the cheapest available ticket and ended up with food you didn't like and not enough to keep you satisfied... plus no menu!!! that's appalling...

Well done,right on que.I read between the lines of your post and you could not help yourself and revert to type,well done.I think the OP was trying to be helpful.Correct me if I am wrong.

Very good report by the OP. All the little things that annoy do build up to make it a big thing that annoys you.

The worst part is the pilots not informing you of what is happening with turbulance. They could have at least warned of a bumpy landing. Unless there was no reason for the landing to be bumpy except for the pilots 8 year old gamer son landing the plane.

Thanks. It was the pilot's poor flying that made me want to write this - the rest was added secondarily to debunk what I thought were good online reviews for the airline but I found it was worse than most I've flown on. The normally high ticket costs and good reviews might make people think it is worthwhile - well I didn't find that at all.

Well done,right on que.I read between the lines of your post and you could not help yourself and revert to type,well done.I think the OP was trying to be helpful.Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks. He has clearly never flown Korean Air so just ignore him.

I am about to email the airline with my concerns about the pilot - not the other stuff, but the flying was too bad to ignore. I've never been on a flight with so much screaming by passengers due to the poor flying.

Edited by Card

I don't fly Korean and it has nothing to do with the service or hard product (both of which have received decent reviews in "official" forums).

Ever read the book "Outliers" by Malcom Gladwell. It's about the Korean Air culture of the boss is always right and how this cultural inability to question the obvious lead to Korean Air's piss-poor safety record in the 80s and 90s.

Many think this similar culture is what lead to Asiana's crash in SFO a couple years ago: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/07/130709-asiana-flight-214-crash-korean-airlines-culture-outliers/

Yes, I know about this. I suspect it was a trainee that landed the plane.

Of course it would make too much sense to even consider that pilot was little busy trying to keep plane from crashing.

Because usually during strong winds pilots sit back, relax and have a nice chat with the passengers.

Of course it would make too much sense to even consider that pilot was little busy trying to keep plane from crashing.

Because usually during strong winds pilots sit back, relax and have a nice chat with the passengers.

Hey, there was no wind to speak of on landing. The pilot could speak to the passengers when turbulence is over.

Hey, there was no wind to speak of on landing. The pilot could speak to the passengers when turbulence is over.

You know this because? you stuck your head out of the window? or just guessing?

You know this because? you stuck your head out of the window? or just guessing?

No movement of plants and trees, stupid.

Just flew to the USA on Korean Airlines and the flight attendants moved me to an empty row on both legs. Food was fine compared to the other airline choices out there. The OP should probably take up those problems with the airline directly so they can resolve them as it sounds like he got an unlucky draw on a full plane.

Just flew to the USA on Korean Airlines and the flight attendants moved me to an empty row on both legs. Food was fine compared to the other airline choices out there. The OP should probably take up those problems with the airline directly so they can resolve them as it sounds like he got an unlucky draw on a full plane.

I've emailed the airline about the pilot's actions - but not the other stuff, as they are not my main complaint. The flight attendants were fine on my flight. Did you fly in one of the old 747s? as that might make a difference, although maybe not to the food quality and amount. As I said the Airbus between BKK and Seoul was fine apart from the food amount and general western style quality. I mean what quality airline serves a tablespoon of instant mashed potatoes in the main course and a small tub of ice cream for dessert, for example? The ticket price for Korean is generally higher than other airlines I have noticed, even though I got cheaper tickets, and their reputation is generally very good. I just couldn't work out why.

Edited by Card

No movement of plants and trees, stupid.

I see so there are plants and trees in mid air? but i do agree, stupid

Planes don't land in mid-air, stupid.
No they fly in it / through it, not to mention cross winds, but that might be to complex to comprehend for someone as smart as you ;) Edited by konying

If you got a cheap ticket and the flight operated to schedule and your bags were not lost you are winning. Bad luck if you didn't enjoy the meals somebody else on that flight enjoyed them , some thought they were ok and some thought they were no good. Same as every flight. Korean Air traditionally has an awful safety record but they seem seem to be "normal" nowadays. If you did have an unusual descent with Korean i would agree it would be more worrying than if you were flying Cathay Pacific or SIA. Unless you paid top dollar for service in Business Class or First i don't think you can complain really though.

"Unless you paid top dollar for service in Business Class or First i don't think you can complain really though"

So are you saying that because I got a cheap ticket that I shouldn't complain over what I consider a safety issue?

Equally is it only First Class and Business passengers that have a right to complain over safety issues?

Or are you saying that because the flight was on time and no baggage lost that safety issues are not important enough to complain about?

Edited by Card

"...although the female airline crew looked like corpses with nooses around their necks, due to their very similar appearance, white shiny faces and stiff scarves on their uniforms."

This is the first criticism you have about the airline and you expect me to keep reading? Even if you were offended by the appearance of the Korean flight attendants, it's maybe something you should keep to yourself. Now I have to assume that rest of your rant is just as petty, and can't allow myself to continue reading. whistling.gif