Health insurance for travel

geisha

Hi, some help needed here. I usually spend around 5 months in Thailand and around every year in winter.

I usually have Europe assistance to cover me through the year. I have had problems with Diverticulitis and high tension in the last year. Now I am worried that if I declare my illness to the company, they will not cover me anymore, and I really cannot travel without insurance as we all know thats a stupid thing to do. My question, any ideas on how to cover myself safely without lying ? I really do not want to stop all my traveling , just thinking about it is making me very unhappy. I have worked all my life to fulfill my passion, so am looking for a way to continue. Thank you all for your help.

If your current ongoing policy covers you outside of your country of residence (inc. in Thailand) then that should suffice and any conditions you have developed since first getting the policy are irreleveant.

But if your ongoing policy does not cover you abroad, then you do need to get travel insurance. Your pre-existing conditions would not prevent you from getting a travel insurance policy, but you will usually not be covered for any illnesses related to those pre-existing problems. Some policies, however, will cover an acute exacerbation of a pre-existing condition up to a small level of cover.

Best to consult an insurance broker.

whatever you do, do not lie as this would invalidate the entire policy if discovered. Even claims unrelated to the pre-existing conditions can be denied if it is found you lied about anything on the application.

it is a decent question, that if you are spending 1/2 the year away from a place that provides coverage, and will only reimburse, or partially reimburse overseas coverage, seems a waste to pay for it, other than in case of having to go back for emergency care, or care you don't want in the country overseas .......

i always get travel insurance, but wonder if it is worth the paper it is written on, as it is always so much cheaper, than real coverage imho