Thai tourism: Multiple-entry visas welcomed, with caveats

webfact

TOURISM
Multiple-entry visas welcomed, with caveats

SUCHAT SRITAMA
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Tourism-business lobbies generally welcome the government's initiative to introduce multiple-entry visas, but warn that they could attract more non-tourists or illegal workers.

Key tourism associations say the new type of visa will draw a large number of repeat visitors and extend their lengths of stay.

The Tourism and Sports Ministry on Wednesday said the government planned to offer multiple-entry visas valid up to 60 days to all nationalities in a bid to boost tourism. The ministry is likely targeting key markets, especially China and India.

Kasian Watanachaopisut, acting president of the Thai-Chinese Tourism Alliance Association, said yesterday that if the government grants multiple-entry visa to all nationalities, a lot of foreigners might come to Thailand more often.

However, he expressed a worry that many might come to work in the Kingdom instead of travelling, as they will be able to stay up to two months per entry.

"The association strongly urges the government to beware of having more non-tourists or illegal workers once the initiative of multiple-entry visas is endorsed," Kasian said.

Charoen Wangananont, president of the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA), the inbound travel body, said the multiple-entry visas would encourage more repeat visitors. However, he said such visas would not be as big a factor to attract foreigners as the strengths of this country's tourism products and culture.

"I think this visa will be good for the tourism sector in the end. But ATTA calls on the government to improve safety and security measures as well as accommodating tourists," he said.

Supawan Tanomkieatipume, vice president of the Thai Hotels Association, also urged the government to tighten up safety and security for tourists while they are in the country.

She believes that multiple-entry visas would encourage visitors who plan to travel in Southeast Asia, because they can start their trips here and travel to other countries and then return here gain.

"If tourists [enter] Thailand more often for travel, then hotels, restaurants and related businesses should benefit," she said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Multiple-entry-visas-welcomed-with-caveats-30266105.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-07

Multiple entry tourist visas is a problem that the tourist may work in THailand. It is up to the Thai business to assure that they have or get a work visa. Thais know that Thai businesses will break the law and hire tourists. This is what the article is really saying. Let's be truthful here.

nobody knows the finer details on this yet so if not available back to back they won't be abused more than any current visa is.

main problem is this idea not really hitting the target it aimed at which was more regular weekend visits by business folk etc, what this will probably effect is those who use the visa exempt as you will know be pushed to use this or single entry visas in an attempt to gain revenue from it.

Most folk who come a few times would still be better off using exempts or 1 or 2 entry tourist visas ...

What was really needed was online tourist visa service & evisa support at airports & main border points, on top of that a one time a year 6month tourist visa only available from you home country & with other rules to stop repeat use & visas for those who invested in condos here & want spend further time & money here.

Really can't see this creating a swarm of quality tourist arrivals ...

This is a silly idea. Tourists who start & finish their ASEAN tour in Thailand can simply use the visa exemptions, which can then be extended at an immigration office. This will only make it more expensive for teachers working illegally in Thailand, which is a good thing IMO. smile.png

I think a U-turn is beginning to form,give people hope,

then snatch it away.

I don't think it will happen,the real feeling underneath

seems to be ,come to Thailand leave your money,and

bugger off.

regards worgeordie

Instead of trying to prevent groups from working allow longer term residents, married, educators, whomever (design the criteria of new citizens you want), to apply for citizenship and dedicate their energy to Thailand full time.

The usual whine about a "flood" is specious. You just make the criteria for the people you want.

There is no need to worry about taking jobs from locals. This is a decision based on the loyalty and ethics of the person offering the job, not the worker. Worry about creating jobs that reflect evolved values.

nobody knows the finer details on this yet so if not available back to back they won't be abused more than any current visa is.

main problem is this idea not really hitting the target it aimed at which was more regular weekend visits by business folk etc, what this will probably effect is those who use the visa exempt as you will know be pushed to use this or single entry visas in an attempt to gain revenue from it.

Most folk who come a few times would still be better off using exempts or 1 or 2 entry tourist visas ...

What was really needed was online tourist visa service & evisa support at airports & main border points, on top of that a one time a year 6month tourist visa only available from you home country & with other rules to stop repeat use & visas for those who invested in condos here & want spend further time & money here.

However, if you read the reference in the OP, they seem to be stating that the visas will only be valid for 60 days and not six months as originally reported. The original report also stated that these would be VOA (visa on arrival).

Or am i reading this wrong? Is it allowed to stay for a period of 60 days per entry for a 6 month period?

Admittedly confused...................blink.png

"...planned to offer multiple-entry visas valid up to 60 days..."

Its early morning and I could be missing something here.

I thought genuine tourists can come and go already with the VOA system.

VOA is only available to certain countries. Visa exempt is also only available to certain countries. Visa exempt, if used at a land crossing, could be for 15 or 30 days depending which country your passport is from.

As i mentioned in an earlier post, the original report stated that this proposed visa type would be issued VOA. If this is the case, it is feasible that this new 6 month visa could be aimed at the country blocks that has VOA available. This happens to include China.

Pure speculation on my part of course, but this could turn out to be a red herring for a lot of people who think it is going to be an advantage to them.

Early stages at the minute, lets just see what happens.....................wink.png

Having people come to Thailand on multiple entries that that end up working is an issue to be undertaken by the employer. Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia have no problem with people coming in multiple times, it is impossible however to work without a permit. As with everything here, rules exist, just no one enforces them.

This is confusing. As I understand it, the visa is valid for 6 months but the tourist must go over the border every two months?Is that correct?

Yes. The visa will be valid for 6 months and the maximum stay at any one time is 60 days. Not that much different to other countries. That is the way I read it anyway.

I don't think this visa is going to generate the numbers the Government expect. Poorly thought out given the 5000 baht fee and the fact that a visa run will have to be completed every 60 days. Becomes pretty expensive when you count all the costs involved. 5000 baht plus a visa run every 60 days. Ouch!

As Usual mass confusion reigns supreme , lets see how this all pans out , it might not be all that great , the only way is a 6 monthly , anything less is a waste of time and some of the quality tourists have already been caught working without proper visa's , knowing Thailand it might never happen , the flood mitigation programme didn't. coffee1.gif

Can someone clarify?

The current situation for UK/aussie passports is that you can "stack" two or even 3 visas......each one expires when you leave Thailand regardless of how ong you have been in the kingdom

So.....I take it that the new visa would

1 - Apply to UK /Aussie citizens?

2 - allow multiple re-entry on ONE visa, doing away with the need to "stack visas" and allow thw holder to come and go at will for the duration of the visa?

Edited by cumgranosalum

This is confusing. As I understand it, the visa is valid for 6 months but the tourist must go over the border every two months?Is that correct?

Yes. The visa will be valid for 6 months and the maximum stay at any one time is 60 days. Not that much different to other countries. That is the way I read it anyway.

I don't think this visa is going to generate the numbers the Government expect. Poorly thought out given the 5000 baht fee and the fact that a visa run will have to be completed every 60 days. Becomes pretty expensive when you count all the costs involved. 5000 baht plus a visa run every 60 days. Ouch!

The idea of 60 days is if you are working you cannot get away, that's the theory anyway

Instead of trying to prevent groups from working allow longer term residents, married, educators, whomever (design the criteria of new citizens you want), to apply for citizenship and dedicate their energy to Thailand full time.

The usual whine about a "flood" is specious. You just make the criteria for the people you want.

There is no need to worry about taking jobs from locals. This is a decision based on the loyalty and ethics of the person offering the job, not the worker. Worry about creating jobs that reflect evolved values.

Yes probably dont want 5 Thais replaced by one foreigner who could still do more than the 5 Thais in the same time.

As usual the problem is not with the law but with law enforcement. As long as officials routinely turn a blind eye to people who flout the law you can introduce as many new laws as you want, you will never solve the problem. We have the same problem in Europe, they make it increasingly difficult for honest people to visit and work but convicted criminals are allowed to stay and prosper. If they don't want problem with unwanted visitors, relaxing the visa requirements is a good idea (including for work visa) but it should go together with a strict enforcement of the law for people who breach their condition of stay.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

However, if you read the reference in the OP, they seem to be stating that the visas will only be valid for 60 days and not six months as originally reported. The original report also stated that these would be VOA (visa on arrival).

Or am i reading this wrong? Is it allowed to stay for a period of 60 days per entry for a 6 month period?

Admittedly confused...................blink.png

"...planned to offer multiple-entry visas valid up to 60 days..."

That just the poor way it interpreted. validity is 6 months with probably 60 day entry periods same as other tourist visas.

This rule is going to change a thousand tims before it is put into effect. The final version will be totally different to what has to date been proposed and I am sure it will be more of a name change from what already exists rather than a serious step forward.

Dont get excited over this 6 months then 60 days no one can make their mind up. For me I will believe it when I see it and not before.

"She believes that multiple-entry visas would encourage visitors who plan to travel in Southeast Asia, because they can start their trips here and travel to other countries and then return here gain."

Certainly would have helped those Irish girls last month.

Wouldn't it be nice if ,with an 0 visa 1 year obtained in your own country, and 1 six monthly exit. To my mind this could apply if you own a condo example.

Retirement visa 1 year the same but immigration visit every 6 months.

Leave the 30 day free on entry alone for tourists, if they are abnormal tourists then out and in for a further stay.

When I was working in the UK 1 month holiday was all I could get at a time---because of work and was enough twice a year for 20 years until I retired.

Of course, it would probably manipulate the visitor numbers to Thailand if more people took advantage of the 'free' multi-entry function of the visa, in that each time they enter they would be classed as a new visitor.

They do that already with even people making in-out visa runs, but maybe people would be encouraged to travel locally more without having to pay for a re-entry permit every trip.

Methods in madness...................wink.png

... knowing Thailand it might never happen , the flood mitigation programme didn't. coffee1.gif

The flood mitigation programme required the Thais to spend money; this programme requires non-Thais to spend money. As to cost it's roughly USD150 at today's exchange rate ie. USD50 an entry plus the cost of two visa runs. Against that you've got 90-day reporting and all that PITA stuff.

As someone who plans on retiring to Thailand but with frequent trips "home" it sounds ideal to me - just have to worry about getting subsequent visas rather than funding 800,000 a year "seasoned" in a bank account