Severe weather, flash flood warning issued in Phuket

webfact

Severe weather, flash flood warning issued in Phuket
Eakkapop Thongtub

1438926924_1-org.jpg
Residents are asked to take caution during this time.

PHUKET: -- The Thai Meteorological Department and The National Disaster Warning Centre have issued a severe weather warning at 11am today (August 7) for the South of Thailand, including Phuket and the Andaman region.

The forecast prompted the TMD to issue additional weather warnings extended to southern residents of Ranong, Phang Nga, Krabi, Satun and Phuket provinces.

All ships should proceed with caution and small boats in the Andaman Sea keep ashore during the period, as waves are expected to reach heights of up to three metres in the Andaman Sea.

The National Disaster warning centre warned residents of heavy rainfall which could potentially trigger flash floods in these provinces from today through to Sunday (August 9).

City Mayor, Somjai Suwannasupapana asks residents living in these risk areas to move their belongings to higher ground. Should anyone need sand bags they can go directly to the Municipality Disaster Prevention and Relieve Office or call 076-354363 / 199.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/severe-weather-flash-flood-warning-issued-in-phuket-53534.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-08-07

Phuket Airport has had 200mm for the past 12 hours. To put this in comparison, my town of origin has on average 661mm rain in one year.

One heck of a storm.

There is no notable waves on Phannga bay at the moment, but I would guess this would not be a nice day for a canoeing trip to the James Bond island.

This boat just went out and travelled towards north.

20356082232_7bab20e783_c.jpg

This was on the Phuket News facebook feed. 1km south before turning west to the Airport.

11228911_869069099796059_503065499854978

Ha, glad it is them. That is the only pumpstation in Thailand that has ever tried to overcharge me.

Phuket Airport has had 200mm for the past 12 hours. To put this in comparison, my town of origin has on average 661mm rain in one year.

One heck of a storm.

200 mill,,,shit on the old scale 8 inch,,,I remember a few years back in North Queensland Australia in the wet season it was normal to get anything between 6 or 12 inch rain on a daily basis,,, we had some local floods for a couple days,,, Shit learn to live with it ,,it happens every bloody year after year so nothing new in my book !

Just had a skype text from my mate who is flying out from PKT as I type. His AA plane to KL is delated 2.5 hrs.

I love it when Thai Visa is used this way, for real information of value.

Thank You !!

Good to know ...

Ha, glad it is them. That is the only pumpstation in Thailand that has ever tried to overcharge me.

Quite interesting. Once when I filled my tank there, I felt that now something went wrong. But as I did not notice what was in the meter from the start, I could not ask if they overcharged me.

Sometimes, when I feel I'm being overcharged or a tank filling boy decides to keep the changes without asking me, I ask politely a receipt of the transaction. That happens very rarely.

That yellow gas station has higher prices than others to begin with. And then overcharging... plus they are the only station around the airport. Or at least I never found a closer one. Really annoying.

Last time I was running pretty much on air and still didn't want to go to this station and risked getting stranded to drive a bit further to PTT.

BTW my girlfriend was supposed to fly from Udon to Phuket at around 6pm. The flight was delayed two times until 8:20pm. No doubt because of the weather.

That yellow gas station has higher prices than others to begin with. And then overcharging... plus they are the only station around the airport. Or at least I never found a closer one. Really annoying.

Last time I was running pretty much on air and still didn't want to go to this station and risked getting stranded to drive a bit further to PTT.

BTW my girlfriend was supposed to fly from Udon to Phuket at around 6pm. The flight was delayed two times until 8:20pm. No doubt because of the weather.

Next time may you use the Shell station 2km up next to the old airport junction and the old airport road.

This sucksco station is famous for overcharging and low quality gas.

Supposed to be flying in from Chiang Mai tomorrow afternoon….not looking good.

No worries, the weather is improving fast, rain and wind far less, and tomorrow will be nice again.

A post has been removed:

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

Today at the traffic lights just before the airport, there is a large team of engineers, civil defence, hospital vehicles and electricity vehicles and cranes, plus several large backhoes.

The reason? Some 'plonker' has managed to block off the flow to the sea of the canal that flows parallel to the airport road, in the vicinity of my hotels.

This canal normally empties out at Nai Yang Beach, where the small bridge is in the national park.

It seems that the recent building projects in that area have stopped up the canal...

The result? 1.5 metres depth of flood water on the small roads behind the airport road, (locally known as Kokmort).

My hotels are on an island now, which is not good for business...

To try to find a partial solution, I was able to drive our hotel taxi (Toyota Wish), high in the hills above the airport, on a rather bad 4x4 track. I got the Wish out ok on the old airport road, (so it is now on the other side of the flood water from my hotel). The car survived the off-road journey, but my nerves are shattered smile.png

Now we have one car on the airport side and one car on the island side. Luckily, there is a dry footpath between the two areas, so I can walk guests through from one side to the other.

I hope they clear the flood water asap. because I'm not getting any sleep...

Edited by simon43

I note the comment in that link:

The affected area is below the sea level and often floods when Phuket is hit with heavy rainfalls, he said.

Total lie - I have lived here for 14 years and it has never flooded. Now it has flooded very badly because the canal outflow has been blocked by the new hotel projects...

I see they are now ripping out all the storm drains just before the t-junction traffic lights - seems some major work is needed to clear the flood waters.

I have to agree with Simon, this type of major flooding has never occurred in the 13 years I have lived in Nai Yang.

This is a major c*ck-up due to the sudden spate of hotels & condos being built around this area.

Driving from one end of Nai Yang to Sakoo is now a huge detour. !!!