Retirement: Thailand vs Spain

TIMMMMM

The irony is that one has to be truly pennyless to reside worry free in Spain and ignore the tax situation.

I don't know how people have properties in Spain or even any assets outside of Spain and pay crazy taxes over there.

Or have enough money/knowledge for it not to be a problem...

Could just as easily say that everybody who lives in Thailand for more than 6 months has to pay tax, I'm yet to meet anybody (that's not working there) that does...

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Building standards are pretty low here in parts of spain but it is a case of buyer beware,like in Thailand.taxes are no problem if you are up front, the brits who get hammered here are the ones who own property here, rent it out for 6 months and then use it for a couple of months in autumn and winter, while driving their UK registered cars and claiming all their allowances from UK , most of them not even registered as residents, their was practically a wrinkly riot here when the brit govt stopped the heating allowance for brit expats,of course we have expats more Spanish than the Spanish just like in Thailand, but who gives a xxxx, just like Thailand we have beautiful weather and very easy living, the free medical care for pensioners is amazing, maximum 8.80 a month for prescriptions,having spent years in Thailand before the average could even spell it ,no bars in pattaya in fact nearly no pattaya, Phuket was a jungle only one road to the town , the jungle came down to the beach in what is now Patong, Thailand is ideal for many people as is spain for others,but some expats are prone to whinge where ever they are!!

Thailand is easy. Essentially, nobody (Revenue Department) cares if you don't work and live off your savings or something. I am not sure if this is easy in Spain.

Lots of people sold their houses and moved to Malta and other places when Modulo 720 was introduced in 2013.

Building standards are pretty low here in parts of spain but it is a case of buyer beware,like in Thailand.taxes are no problem if you are up front, the brits who get hammered here are the ones who own property here, rent it out for 6 months and then use it for a couple of months in autumn and winter, while driving their UK registered cars and claiming all their allowances from UK , most of them not even registered as residents, their was practically a wrinkly riot here when the brit govt stopped the heating allowance for brit expats,of course we have expats more Spanish than the Spanish just like in Thailand, but who gives a xxxx, just like Thailand we have beautiful weather and very easy living, the free medical care for pensioners is amazing, maximum 8.80 a month for prescriptions,having spent years in Thailand before the average could even spell it ,no bars in pattaya in fact nearly no pattaya, Phuket was a jungle only one road to the town , the jungle came down to the beach in what is now Patong, Thailand is ideal for many people as is spain for others,but some expats are prone to whinge where ever they are!!

Its the Spanish first years tax bill(tax gross on everything) then set aside in year 2 and so on that I'm not happy with. Bit more on Portugal,it does look as if its 10 year tax free too

Not sure what you're talking about, but I've never been asked to pay for the snacks I was served in a Thai bar, in contrast to Spain where you don't get snacks ( tapas) for free.

I was in madrid last feburary and many bars gave away free tapas with a drink of lovely beer - as cheap as 1 euro

http://www.timeout.com/madrid/food-and-drink/madrid-bars-with-free-tapas

The women?

Dont they have those in Spain?

I think they do, but they generally dont come with a sick buffalo and an extended family of 20 people who all want to live in your garage.

They do come with mustaches though.

Yep, one can see you'r a connoisseurthumbsup.gif

The women?

Dont they have those in Spain?

I think they do, but they generally dont come with a sick buffalo and an extended family of 20 people who all want to live in your garage.

They do come with mustaches though.

Yep, one can see you'r a connoisseurthumbsup.gif

Also have a sixth sense about w*nkers as well.

Reason for leaving Thailand? sick to the back the back teeth with it

Another reason prevails though ..health. All you live forever types that's OK,but the body is a machine,one day something wears out goes kaput,in Thailand a fortune to fix,Spain free if registered. I go over to India every couple of years get cancer scans ,heart check-up etc,small ops whatever,but one day one of those cancer scans is going to come back positive, what then? mad scramble out of Thailand

Now I'm past 65 years old,so a near certainty something will develop more sooner than later,and if based in the EU its free whatever treatment I will eventually need

Another reason prevails though ..health. All you live forever types that's OK,but the body is a machine,one day something wears out goes kaput,in Thailand a fortune to fix,Spain free if registered. I go over to India every couple of years get cancer scans ,heart check-up etc,small ops whatever,but one day one of those cancer scans is going to come back positive, what then? mad scramble out of Thailand

Now I'm past 65 years old,so a near certainty something will develop more sooner than later,and if based in the EU its free whatever treatment I will eventually need

Makes sense.

If I had EU residency I wouldn't stay a minute in Thailand. I am going for a 3 months at a time though.

Where are you from TIM MMM, it's not difficult to get EU residency in a lot of countries, I've just read an article that says Hungry is offering it to Indonesians for 60kEuro & a 5 year deposit of 300kEuro, might sound like a lot of money but you do get to live anywhere you like in the EU (as much as us Brits would like to Bluff & Blunder)

Not sure what you're talking about, but I've never been asked to pay for the snacks I was served in a Thai bar, in contrast to Spain where you don't get snacks ( tapas) for free.

I was in madrid last feburary and many bars gave away free tapas with a drink of lovely beer - as cheap as 1 euro

In Spain, tapas are given in gratitude for patrons imbibing alcohol. There is no charge, and there is no hidden charge in the alcohol.

And the food can be quite amazing. Beats the hell out of stale peanuts that strangers have dragged their fingers through.

In Spain, tapas are given in gratitude for patrons imbibing alcohol. There is no charge, and there is no hidden charge in the alcohol.

And the food can be quite amazing. Beats the hell out of stale peanuts that strangers have dragged their fingers through.

I think this states that Tapas may be free in selected parts of Spain, but not necessary, and for sure not in all of Spain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapas

In Andalucia and certain places in Madrid, Castilla-La Mancha, Castilla y León, Asturias, Extremadura, when one goes to a bar and orders a drink, often a tapa will be served with it for free. As a drink, it is usual to ask for a caña (small beer), a chato (glass of wine) or a mosto (grape juice). In several cities, entire zones are dedicated to tapas bars, each one serving its own unique dish. In León, one can find the Barrio Húmedo, in Logroño Calle Laurel and in Burgos Calle de la Sombrerería and Calle de San Lorenzo.

Sometimes, especially in northern Spain, they are also called pinchos (pintxos in Basque) in Asturias, in Navarre, in La Rioja (Spain), the Basque Country, Cantabria and in some provinces, such as Salamanca, because many of them have a pincho or toothpick through them. The toothpick is used to keep whatever the snack is made of from falling off the slice of bread and to keep track of the number of tapas the customer has eaten. Differently priced tapas have different shapes or have toothpicks of different sizes. The price of a single tapa ranges from one to two euros.

All makes sense, and even though i am not at that age yet, it's crossing my mind now, about my Future...., still got a few years to go, but nothing like being organised...

I think this states that Tapas may be free in selected parts of Spain, but not necessary, and for sure not in all of Spain.

In Andalucia and certain places in Madrid, Castilla-La Mancha, Castilla y León, Asturias, Extremadura, when one goes to a bar and orders a drink, often a tapa will be served with it for free. As a drink, it is usual to ask for a caña (small beer), a chato (glass of wine) or a mosto (grape juice). In several cities, entire zones are dedicated to tapas bars, each one serving its own unique dish. In León, one can find the Barrio Húmedo, in Logroño Calle Laurel and in Burgos Calle de la Sombrerería and Calle de San Lorenzo.

Sometimes, especially in northern Spain, they are also called pinchos (pintxos in Basque) in Asturias, in Navarre, in La Rioja (Spain), the Basque Country, Cantabria and in some provinces, such as Salamanca, because many of them have a pincho or toothpick through them. The toothpick is used to keep whatever the snack is made of from falling off the slice of bread and to keep track of the number of tapas the customer has eaten. Differently priced tapas have different shapes or have toothpicks of different sizes. The price of a single tapa ranges from one to two euros.

Wouldn't know what the article says, I don't read Wikipedia.

Instead, I actually spend time in Spain, and so far the tapas have been gratis.

confirmed! never paid a single Peseta or EURo for tapas. but things might have changed. it's been a while since i was in Spain.

Hmmm....I'd hate to think how much I paid for tapas at bars in Spain. A few places had free tapas, and they were OK. The really good ones you had to pay for. And they were fantastic.

post-5869-0-64547700-1439684904_thumb.jp

Hmmm....I'd hate to think how much I paid for tapas at bars in Spain. A few places had free tapas, and they were OK. The really good ones you had to pay for. And they were fantastic.

Hmmm....I'd hate to think how much I paid for tapas at bars in Spain.

I'd hate to think about it, too, since they are so easily found for free.

whistling.gif

We were 5 days in Madrid. 15 days overall traveling around Madrid and south. Our second trip to Spain. Free tapas were quite rare in the central part of Madrid. Easier to find in the suburbs and in smaller towns. But not in the CBD of Madrid!

Enjoyed free ones in Granada, but nowhere near as good as the high end ones we had in Madrid. They were spectacular.

Have you been to this building in Madrid? Bar after bar serving great wine and tapas. Absolutely fantastic. But not free. As you can see, it was packed.

post-5869-0-30771200-1439690238_thumb.jp

We were 5 days in Madrid. 15 days overall traveling around Madrid and south. Our second trip to Spain. Free tapas were quite rare in the central part of Madrid. Easier to find in the suburbs and in smaller towns. But not in the CBD of Madrid!

Enjoyed free ones in Granada, but nowhere near as good as the high end ones we had in Madrid. They were spectacular.

Have you been to this building in Madrid? Bar after bar serving great wine and tapas. Absolutely fantastic. But not free. As you can see, it was packed.

Haven't been there since 2007, so maybe it's changed. I always understood it is the equivalent of the neighborhood pubs that offer up the free tapas, and that's where I was always taken. Only landed in Madrid and kept right on going, but I'm headed back in 2017, so I'll look up your recommendation, thanks.

Just checked with wifey. She said some places had free tapas, but they were very basic. For a few Euros, we opted for the better selections. But many bars did not have free ones...or at least "good" free ones! Of course, we were in the touristy areas. We were tourists after all! 55555

Madrid was OK, but it's a big city. We were just coming off 21 days of driving around France. Needed a break and just relax. Got a great hotel for a cheap price, so camped out a bit.

Let us know how your trip goes! I love spain and can't wait to get back. But think our next trip will be to explore more of Portugal. Hopefully in 2017 like you!

wai2.gif

Just checked with wifey. She said some places had free tapas, but they were very basic. For a few Euros, we opted for the better selections. But many bars did not have free ones...or at least "good" free ones! Of course, we were in the touristy areas. We were tourists after all! 55555

Madrid was OK, but it's a big city. We were just coming off 21 days of driving around France. Needed a break and just relax. Got a great hotel for a cheap price, so camped out a bit.

Let us know how your trip goes! I love spain and can't wait to get back. But think our next trip will be to explore more of Portugal. Hopefully in 2017 like you!

wai2.gif

Looks like a lot of people base their dreams on what they experienced in Spain 8 - 10 years ago.

Wake up boys, the world and Spain especially has changed, and then I will add that free or not free tapas is the least of those changes you should worry about.

Madrid was OK, but it's a big city. We were just coming off 21 days of driving around France. Needed a break and just relax. Got a great hotel forarrow-10x10.png a cheap price, so camped out a bit.

wai2.gif

Looks like a lot of people base their dreams on what they experienced in Spain 8 - 10 years ago.

Wake up boys, the world and Spain especially has changed, and then I will add that free or not free tapas is the least of those changes you should worry about.

Agree ,but so has this place,and for the worse. going over next couple of weeks to look see,but Portugal is in my sights,but looking into it further and yes those tax hikes they are /about to experience are something else(and still the yanks from the Sunshine State want to get there) Plenty of property on the market there too,more added as well

The expat web site expatforum.com is a mine of information of people living there,not on the site at the mo, (got banned by answering a homosexual Pakistani seeking asylum in the UK of a change of ways was his ideal solution, just stay in Pakistan),anyway Ill be back with them soon

Looking at both countries now Spain and Portugal,Spain sure has the edge ,just instant acceptance and taxes do not appear as onerous,and if I can get around the gross tax bill it would be ideal,just have to plug away asking fellow members,and they are all helpful

We spent a few weeks going from near the border with Spain (Faro) up to Lisbon. It was great, but it was in late fall and many places on the S. coast were closed. The beach towns were dead. On one hand nice, on the other...boring!

Next trip we want to do N. Portugal. I've heard it's wonderful, and cheaper than Spain. And great wine! 5555

can not figure out why tapas is such a big deal, in our village you drink in the bar you get free munchies,a couple of kms away in the urbanisation bars you pay for them ,whats the big deal,last free chop I got in Thailand was a serving of somtam in Amnat when Istopped to help pull a car out of the paddy and was invited to their home, this was before the road was tarmacked,spain will do for now for us!!

Madrid was OK, but it's a big city. We were just coming off 21 days of driving around France. Needed a break and just relax. Got a great hotel forarrow-10x10.png a cheap price, so camped out a bit.

wai2.gif

Agree ,but so has this place,and for the worse. going over next couple of weeks to look see,but Portugal is in my sights,but looking into it further and yes those tax hikes they are /about to experience are something else(and still the yanks from the Sunshine State want to get there) Plenty of property on the market there too,more added as well

The expat web site expatforum.com is a mine of information of people living there,not on the site at the mo, (got banned by answering a homosexual Pakistani seeking asylum in the UK of a change of ways was his ideal solution, just stay in Pakistan),anyway Ill be back with them soon

Looking at both countries now Spain and Portugal,Spain sure has the edge ,just instant acceptance and taxes do not appear as onerous,and if I can get around the gross tax bill it would be ideal,just have to plug away asking fellow members,and they are all helpful

I have lived in Portugal for several years before I came to Thailand, that was before it joined the EU.

Been back there I think now about 10 years ago, that was after it joined the EU, and when I say I was shocked I put it mild.

I can only imagine what has happened since.

I think that should read spenT then, and better you read up a bit on Wiki, because in the past 8 years after your holiday things have changed in the PIIGS countries.

Edited by Anthony5