Ice and ice buckets

amdy2206

Keep the water; it is able to absorb heat much better than air (the water has a higher specific heat capacity) , thus keeping the remaining ice cubes frozen longer.

However, if you are so concerned about your ice expenditures, I would suggest that you avoid ordering any drinks at a restaurant. Save your thirst until you get home. Seriously, if you cannot afford 20-100 baht on ice, do you really think you should be going out to a restaurant?

Air is a better insulator than water, and some heat leaks in from the walls of the container. This makes it better to have cold air in contact with ice than cold water.

Chuck excess water out as you go!

I disagree. Condensation will form rapidly on the unprotected ice, taking latent heat out of the air and putting it directly into the ice.

It's better to put the ice in the drink, though, if you are accustomed to the local water.

If thats the case why did people in the water die when others on top of upturned boats survive after the sinking of the Titanic ?

Back on topic. Google spinning beer cans in ice and water. Cools them very quickly. Try spinning them in air!!!!! Check the video before you answer.

Also try a survival course, then spout off again ☺

Keep the water; it is able to absorb heat much better than air (the water has a higher specific heat capacity) , thus keeping the remaining ice cubes frozen longer.

However, if you are so concerned about your ice expenditures, I would suggest that you avoid ordering any drinks at a restaurant. Save your thirst until you get home. Seriously, if you cannot afford 20-100 baht on ice, do you really think you should be going out to a restaurant?

Air is a better insulator than water, and some heat leaks in from the walls of the container. This makes it better to have cold air in contact with ice than cold water.

Wrong, wrong, wrong! Why do you think that Eskimos (Inuit) build igloos out of ice? Why do you think it is better to bury oneself in snow, rather than be exposed to the elements (i.e. air) during a blizzard? Or to wear multiple layers of clothing when it is cold?

The air absorbs heat a lot faster than water. By insulating oneself from air, heat transfer is minimized.

last reply got stuck in the middle of someones post. Small phone big fingers.

repeat, in water , cold water you lose heat faster than in air, see comment about Titanic and survival course. Also google beer cans spinning in ice and water.

Have a good day.biggrin.png

I disagree. Condensation will form rapidly on the unprotected ice, taking latent heat out of the air and putting it directly into the ice.

It's better to put the ice in the drink, though, if you are accustomed to the local water.

Google Gardia smile.png

Salt added to water lowers the freezing point. Great if you want extra cold water to stack beer cans etc in when in a powered chiller. But adding it to ice in an ice storage box will cause the ice to melt. Then what to do with cold salt water?

The melting ice will draw heat from the beer cans.

I'd never thought of that, but it might be a good way of cooling your beer in a hurry.

This is a long story, so I'll abridge it to only include the relevant bit about chilling beer....

... we were sat draining the fridge in the Vietnamese grocer's. A French bloke came in, and went to take a can of beer out the fridge; "Oi - they're ours", so he went to the shelf, got four room temperature cans and put one in the fridge.

"Why's he only put one in the fridge?"

"By the time he's finished the other three, that one will be cold"

SC

And it is not necessary to be critical of questions people just ask out of interest. A reply is good, but advice from someone who does not know my situation is unwarranted and uncalled for.

Yeah, but it's funny heh. Buy yourself 2 ice buckets of equal size, 2 10 baht bags of ice, put ice in said buckets. One you keep water in, one you don't. Report back.

You do it, and report back...

And it is not necessary to be critical of questions people just ask out of interest. A reply is good, but advice from someone who does not know my situation is unwarranted and uncalled for.

As most restaurants make a large profit on ice.

Have you ever been thinking about the cost they have to make to serve you with that ice:

rent, taxes, staff, electricity, water, .........

stop moaning about some responses you don't like if you don't see the big picture

If you know it all, why not answer his question?

Found Interesting postings at:

https://m.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1e2lao/keeping_drinks_cold_in_a_cooler_when_the_ice/

(With very practical post:)

........>>>

chrisamillerCancer Genomics | Bioinformatics820d, 9h7

I did my 4th grade science project on this exact question! We bought two identical coolers, every 15 minutes, I opened them both up, took a temperature reading, then drained the water from the same one. To make a long story short, that cold water is your friend. The cooler with the water stays much colder for much longer. Don't ever drain the H20 unless you're planning to replace it with more ice.

Later in life, I'd learn all the details about specific heat and such, but the experiment without the theory was enough to get me to the city-wide science fair.

<<<<........

Thanks to the OP for the thread and thanks to Khunangkaro for the answer. I just come back from Songkhla province, where we have our second home. For now some relatives are living there and they are using foam boxes to keep ice and other stuff cooled (they don't have a fridge and no internet yet..) So i was just wondering, if it would be better to keep a small amount of icecold water or throw it away before filling up with ice (small cubes) again. I just got the answer.

You are incorrect. Insulation is not the only factor in this equation. The water has already been cooled by the ice and has huge thermal storage capacity. Dumping the water out is dumping out free cooling capacity.

BTW I didnt get my information from the internet, I got it from my heat transfer book in college.