UK - Accessing money in Thailand - Advice please.

Hi All - Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this.

I'm from the UK and going to be in Thailand for 6 weeks and thinking about the best way of financing myself.

I'm currently with Barclays and according to their website I will be charged;

%2.99 per transactions

+

£1.50 per transaction (unless I find a Global Alliance Atm which im not counting on)

+

150/180 Baht per transaction.

So Say I take out £200 for X amount of days (don't really want to take out more than this at a time).

It will cost an additional £6 (2.99%) + £1.5 + £3 (Baht). So just over an extra £10 per £200. Im assuming barclays then exchange the Sterlin into Baht at the Bank's rate (which i'm sure will be less advantageous than some of the vendors in Thailand itself).

Surely there is a better way of doing this? Any experience would be greatly recieved.

Thanks

Jake

HI Jake..

I live here in ''Thailand'' and if i ever go back to the UK, which is quite, regular due to Famly and Business reasons, on my return i normallly take a wad of

cash with me... The exchange rate at the moment is very good, and if you are thinking of going to ''Bangkok'' - a company called ''Superrich'' has the

best exchange rates..

Work out how much money you plan to spend, and take it with you.. saves any hastle... and make sure which ever Hotel you are in, put the money in the

safe..

Hope that helps..

all the best and enjoy..

Cheers

The exchange rate from a Barclay's ATM card (visa rate) is not too bad - far better than the usual Bureau de Change rate..

You can avoid the 180 Baht ATM fee by making the withdrawal at any Thai bank counter using your debit card (passport required).

Ask your Barclay's branch about Pound Sterling travellers cheques. Sometimes they can be bought commission-free (if you buy a small amount of foreign currency at the same time). One Pound = One Pound in Travellers cheques, and you get a slightly better exchange rate here, and they are more secure.

HI Jake..

I live here in ''Thailand'' and if i ever go back to the UK, which is quite, regular due to Famly and Business reasons, on my return i normallly take a wad of

cash with me... The exchange rate at the moment is very good, and if you are thinking of going to ''Bangkok'' - a company called ''Superrich'' has the

best exchange rates..

Work out how much money you plan to spend, and take it with you.. saves any hastle... and make sure which ever Hotel you are in, put the money in the

safe..

Hope that helps..

all the best and enjoy..

Cheers

I go to the Chinese money changers in Bangkok they give a good rate, Talking about Hotel safes, dont put anyhting of real value in them they can be opened in about 2 seconds, ask for a security box in the hotel thats better, you may ahve to pay a few baht but its safer.

The exchange rate from a Barclay's ATM card (visa rate) is not too bad - far better than the usual Bureau de Change rate..

You can avoid the 180 Baht ATM fee by making the withdrawal at any Thai bank counter using your debit card (passport required).

Ask your Barclay's branch about Pound Sterling travellers cheques. Sometimes they can be bought commission-free (if you buy a small amount of foreign currency at the same time). One Pound = One Pound in Travellers cheques, and you get a slightly better exchange rate here, and they are more secure.

Travellers cheques are not so cheap to change in Thailand anymore. They now charge THB153 per cheque, so if you do bring any, get the £200 ones. That way it works out a bit cheaper.

I also take a FairFX prepaid Sterling credit card with me. You can load it online, even from Thailand, from your UK debit card. Holds a maximum of £5000.

If it gets stolen, you only lose what is on the card, so can keep say £300 on it, and use to withdraw at ATM's or to make purchases like a normal credit card. Then top up online again when it runs low.

Plus some cash to change up into THB at Superrich. Oh! Forgot. in case you go there. Superrich gives a slightly better rate for £50 notes than £20's and £10's, but bring clean, not marked, and not too creased ones.

Avoid airport exchanges as rate not normally very good.

Edited by phetphet

If you are able, get a Halifax Clarity credit card, no fees for overseas withdrawals or use.

Excellent from charlie H.

I was going to mention the same.

I use my Halifax clarity credit card in Thailand and pay NO charges whatsoever when I go to the exchange booth in BigC on Pattaya Klang. Yes you pay an ATM fee if you use ATM's, but why would you?

I saved a lot each year by using the Clarity card over Barclays Visa card.

If you do use the Clarity Mastercard card at an ATM, specify their (Mastercards) option as the exchange rate is better.

Use your online banking to pay the card whenever you wish. The interest begins immediately but it is much lower than many other credit card rates.

Whatever you decide to do, take at least 2 bank cards with you and keep them in separate places.. Just in case 1 gets lost or swallowed by the bank machine....or stolen

Edited by Jay1

• 2 weeks later...

Another option is national wide flex plus £10 a month fee BUT it's looking like the best option for me. I will only be on a tourist visa. Another option is opening an account at London Bangkok bank. They charge £20 & guessing the rate isn't as good as super-rich if anyone has any better ideas other than Halifax cc. Am all ears. Thanks