Jet Ski Scams Yet Again

Rimmer

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh huh. Looks like the town officials are taking care of this jet ski rip-off problem .... yet again. Practice makes perfect.

The town officials are getting this 'play' down, it gets better every time they do the jet ski scan show, never gets old.

As you can see on that picture,

the beaches in Pattaya and jomtien still full of ambrellas under the trees ,

and only parts of sewage beach are left free - as free parts of the beach !!

This country is cheating and cheating until the last tourists are gone !!

LOS will not stop before;

Hope is only Myanmar starts to open their shore tourism soom,

1000 more of beautiful beaches and ilands as you can find only polluted ones in Thailand !!

I think my septic tank is more clean than some beaches in LOS !!

Edited by Rimmer
Libellous

this same scam has been going on since jet skies were first invented here decades ago. Outlaw Jet skies period. There is no way this will end otherwise.... Let the operators pay their own payments and whatever e;se the stealing money for....Ridiculous

Good idea. They really are heinous devices. Maybe fine for a private lake or estate setting. But in a public beach area? Obnoxious. And if not highly regulated it lends itself to this kind of scamming since they are such expensive pieces of equipment. There are such a tiny percentage of tourists that rent them. Just ban them completely. Let the jet ski operators figure out another way to commit larceny and fleece tourists. And maybe they would even get a real job. Tiny chance of that. How do you go from making 300,000 baht a month, or more, to a normal job?

keep a daily video log of the the jet skis being inspected.

Damage? let's see this morning's video inspection and let's compare it with yesterday's if we want.

The problem is there is no record of what the jet skis look like before they are being rented.

They have water soluble paint... Looks like brand new when you rent it but after 15mins in the water you have "damaged" jetski...

best vid about jestski scam ! for who don't know yet what does it means...

People go home, post this kind of stuff online, and talk to their friends, and the damage is monumental to the Thai tourism industry. Are the officials too simple minded, an too nearsighted to see this?

Yup, unfortunately. Money NOW is the way of the corrupt and to hell with the future. Very little evidence of long term solutions from within Thai society - somewhat reminiscent of the 60's in the west - live for today! And yet, here we are nearly 60 years later.

Mr. PM.With all due respect. Why has there not been a "Crack Down" on these thieves (jet ski operators). Priorities need to be addressed. How many people have to be ripped off before you do something. Oh, and you might want to take a look at the Nigerians selling drugs on Soi 3 in Bangkok. They are blatant and aggressive at all hours of the day and night. Maybe look into the fact that they do this with no harassment from the Police.

You want to make Thailand a family destination then clean up the crap that is slowly but surely destroying a great city/country.

If they wanted to resolve these jet ski scams, they would have years ago. It is quite obvious what is going on. And there is too much money being made on the fleecing of tourists. Meetings, meetings, meetings. Does anything get done? Do any of the jet skis get confiscated? Do any of these operators get arrested and convicted? Or, is that entire industry above the law?

1) NO

2) NO

3) NO

4) YES coffee1.gif

As despicable as this thuggery is, it has the advantage of being 100% avoidable.

I don't know that we can say the same for the next vocation these guys will pursue if they can't do the jet ski thing. Let's face it. They have no marketable job skills.

Wait until they park a car on a walking street and extort money from random people that pass by and "scratch it".

We'll long for the days of the jet ski scam.

best vid about jestski scam ! for who don't know yet what does it means...

People go home, post this kind of stuff online, and talk to their friends, and the damage is monumental to the Thai tourism industry. Are the officials too simple minded, an too nearsighted to see this?

Yup, unfortunately. Money NOW is the way of the corrupt and to hell with the future. Very little evidence of long term solutions from within Thai society - somewhat reminiscent of the 60's in the west - live for today! And yet, here we are nearly 60 years later.

Thanks...but That video is an old one....

More recent videos would be preferred.

Meantime.....Would anyone care if those scumbags just disappeared one day........as in .....never to be seen again...as in .....no one knows what happened to them...while you don't want to ask......while 99.9999999 % of the people do not care.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

It seems Thai people just want money for nothing all the time. Recently my young dog escaped and a man from the nearby village found it on the road and took it in his pick up. He went and tried to sell it. The man he tried to sell it to called us so we went to get it. The man charged us 300 baht to give it back. So a dog thief gets away with 300 baht!

Recently a friend rode his moped near to another moped ridden by a Thai man who stopped him saying he nearly hit him so he wanted money.

I had a Thai driver hit the back of my pick up last year. The driver was the employee of a man who rang me saying he wanted the car repaired, a hired replacement pick up and 50,000 baht because his wife was upset when she saw the damage. The repair was 7000 baht which was done through insurance and I told him to get lost! He later sent his driver round the villages trying to find me. Ahole!

My wife's friend who sort of introduced us to each other later demanded 1 baht of gold saying if it wasnt for her we would not be together and if we didnt pay she would tell people bad things about us.

Welcome to Thailand folks! Jet ski hire is not any different. If you didnt like being ripped off in your own country then you wont be any better off here!

Many do indeed seem to think that the world owes them a living. Most of the people who work in my condo building (including the management) simply would not last 10 minutes in any job in Europe.

The jet-ski scams are just another example of the same mentality.

As despicable as this thuggery is, it has the advantage of being 100% avoidable.

I don't know that we can say the same for the next vocation these guys will pursue if they can't do the jet ski thing. Let's face it. They have no marketable job skills.

Wait until they park a car on a walking street and extort money from random people that pass by and "scratch it".

We'll long for the days of the jet ski scam.

Hard to say a criminal does not have any marketable skills. Crime can be employed anywhere, anytime, by the unscrupulous, and the rats that spend their lives preying on others. So, if they were not doing the jet ski scam, they would be stealing money in a hundred other ways. A thug is a thug is a thug.

Make jet ski operaters have full insurance…. No insurance….. No work simple.

Sent from my SM-C115 using Tapatalk

I do not believe these punks could even get insurance. Do you think the insurance companies would go along with their scams? I seriously doubt it. Since all jet skis in Thailand are illegal anyway, how could they be insured? Licensing, insurance, permits, it is all a scam. It is inconceivable to even consider that the police are not partners in this crime.

One thing I have noticed quite a bit though , and seems to wind the Thai operators up no end , is that esp and nearly always the Indians that do rent them out , stay out well over their allotted time with the Thais waving frantically for what seems an age to get them back in , weather they ( the tourists) have no concept of time I don't know but they certainly get their monies worth .. When they do finally ' come back in ' .. Maybe those operators are thinking pay back time ..

Every week, I go for brunch to a restaurant on Pattaya Beach Road about 250 meters from Walking Street. I have a clear view of the jetski operators (the first on that beach when you come from Walking Street). 2 or 3 times out of 10, I see the police and the operators with two or three hapless tourists. I've seen the tourists taken away by the police several times in the past few months.

One of the waitresses tells me that this happens several times EVERY DAY! So, clearly the jetski scam is alive and well in Pattaya. VERY lucrative!

Edited by LarryLEB

Every week, I go for brunch to a restaurant on Pattaya Beach Road about 250 meters from Walking Street. I have a clear view of the jetski operators (the first on that beach when you come from Walking Street). 2 or 3 times out of 10, I see the police and the operators with two or three hapless tourists. I've seen the tourists taken away by the police several times in the past few months.

One of the waitresses tells me that this happens several times EVERY DAY! So, clearly the jetski scam is alive and well in Pattaya. VERY lucrative!

Yes the police partners are enforcing their law. It is called the law of collection. And guess who is doing nothing about it, despite all the talk about an anti corruption crusade?

I think all the TV members living in Pattaya should hold a "save an Indian" volunteer weekend. Individuals dispersed strategically in the beach chairs would watch for groups of Indians or others renting jet skis. Prior to contacting the scammers a member would secretly warn the potential renters of the scam. After a few months of this maybe the word would get around. Then after a day's work the volunteers could all get together at their favorite watering hole.

Make jet ski operaters have full insurance…. No insurance….. No work simple.

Sent from my SM-C115 using Tapatalk

Don't think anyone would insure them as they are accident prone when being used by indians, beides that what insurance co want to mix with this mob.

Good things to stay away from they are a menace to beaches, they need regulating but they have their own masters.

I think all the TV members living in Pattaya should hold a "save an Indian" volunteer weekend. Individuals dispersed strategically in the beach chairs would watch for groups of Indians or others renting jet skis. Prior to contacting the scammers a member would secretly warn the potential renters of the scam. After a few months of this maybe the word would get around. Then after a day's work the volunteers could all get together at their favorite watering hole.

"Secretly" might be the keyword. Your humanitarian instincts are to be commended; your survival instincts not so much. I wouldn't let the jet ski scammers see you doing that. They likely won't take kindly to you warning off their prey; and just as likely to do their taking unkindly in groups ... LOL - in this country you might even find yourself defending against charges of defamation!