New Booze Laws May Be About To Get Interesting

Konini

I don't understand why y'all have to drink alcohol. What's the matter with non-alcoholic drinks? Why are y'all so desperate to drink alcoholic drinks?

We are not told we cannot drink alcoholic drinks, we are just told we cannot buy them within 300 meters of an education facility, which could be interpreted as something as ludicrous as a beauty salon that teaches cosmetology. Our major objection is to the inconsistency and the misinformation in the law; such as, when is it enforced, where is it enforce, etc. Got it? I hope so. Now you can go back to tearing your guts out with your non-alcoholic Coc' Cola that dissolves metals. (Do y'all still put peanuts in it?)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend told me last night that Derm Derm, a popular student bar near CMU, has been told to close. Unlike some bars we could name, Derm Derm is not known for fights, drugs, or prostitutes, it's just a convenient place where university students and other young Thais of legal drinking age like to hang-out. I don't see how closing places like this make Chiang Mai a better city.

Are other parts of Thailand enforcing this vague proposal for a law? If not, why is it being enforced here?

I was talking to one of the promo girls that work there two weeks ago, and she confirmed it was under a closure order. I regard that as being ridiculous - while accepting that it's within the 300 m radius, and that it does attract the student crowd, mainly from the engineering faculty, it's a well run business that employs more than twenty full time staff.

What are they to do now?

I was talking to the guy that owns Riverside a while ago, and he was telling me that between R1 & R2 he has around 120 staff. John's Place has 27 full time staff. These places are major employers - shutting them down is short-sighted.

Before long y'all will have to give up drinking alcohol or leave. Gee.

I don't understand why y'all have to drink alcohol. What's the matter with non-alcoholic drinks? Why are y'all so desperate to drink alcoholic drinks?

Yeah, ok, we get it. You're alcohol-free. What a guy. Everybody should be like you. Now. Back to the discussion...

Well said.

Or maybe some of us like the freedom to choose....and don't pretend to be 'Thaier than Thou'.

I sense he wears an amulet.....

Maybe he doesn't wear an amulet and maybe he isn't religious at all. But, for sure, he is not addicted to alcohol or anything else. It's called freedom.

We are not told we cannot drink alcoholic drinks, we are just told we cannot buy them within 300 meters of an education facility, which could be interpreted as something as ludicrous as a beauty salon that teaches cosmetology. Our major objection is to the inconsistency and the misinformation in the law; such as, when is it enforced, where is it enforce, etc. Got it? I hope so. Now you can go back to tearing your guts out with your non-alcoholic Coc' Cola that dissolves metals. (Do y'all still put peanuts in it?)

Don't drink colas or sodas or sugared drinks. Try water. It's where it's at.

I'm now starting to observe just how many places are within 300 meters of CMU in Chiang Mai...

There are some major bars within this distance... assuming they are using the border fence as the 300 meter zone.
There are also a lot of small mom/pop shops that sell beer.

This seems like it is going to cut into a lot of profit for many places.

Should be interesting to see how this unfolds...

A friend told me last night that Derm Derm, a popular student bar near CMU, has been told to close. Unlike some bars we could name, Derm Derm is not known for fights, drugs, or prostitutes, it's just a convenient place where university students and other young Thais of legal drinking age like to hang-out. I don't see how closing places like this make Chiang Mai a better city.

Are other parts of Thailand enforcing this vague proposal for a law? If not, why is it being enforced here?

I was talking to one of the promo girls that work there two weeks ago, and she confirmed it was under a closure order. I regard that as being ridiculous - while accepting that it's within the 300 m radius, and that it does attract the student crowd, mainly from the engineering faculty, it's a well run business that employs more than twenty full time staff.

What are they to do now?

I was talking to the guy that owns Riverside a while ago, and he was telling me that between R1 & R2 he has around 120 staff. John's Place has 27 full time staff. These places are major employers - shutting them down is short-sighted.

It is a real shame that there are so many people who don't know any other trade, except to serve alcohol to foreigners. Maybe, they could learn to do massage or hair dressing. Those jobs don't take any talent or experience, either. I know, it is forbidden for these people to actually learn a useful trade.

What are they to do now?

It is a real shame that there are so many people who don't know any other trade, except to serve alcohol to foreigners. Maybe, they could learn to do massage or hair dressing. Those jobs don't take any talent or experience, either. I know, it is forbidden for these people to actually learn a useful trade.

clap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif Thais don't drink? Get back under your bridge 1zgarz5.gif

Edited by MESmith

You may not have seen this recent news article:

Booze Ban to be Arbitrarily Enforced During 6-month 'Study'

Key phrase: "“In the meantime, security officers will have to exercise their judgement, based on appropriateness of the situation,” Saman Footrakul, director of the Alcohol Beverage Office, told reporters today."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/845908-booze-ban-in-thailand-to-be-arbitrarily-enforced-during-6-month-study/

I saw it, and assumed the "judgment" of the security officers would be used to shakedown bar owners for bribes. However it seems the police in Chiang Mai are more puritanical in their judgment than in other parts of Thailand.

That would be amusing. I've never spent any time in Chiang Mai but the province supplies the largest number of "entertainment workers" in Thailand. I think Lampang is second, but haven't seen the Ministry's statistics for many years. I suspect they don't release them publicly any more, after the Bangkok Post published them in the late '90s. Really, the Bangkok Post used to be an excellent newspaper, given the limitations imposed by Thai culture and the lese majese law.

Edited by Acharn

What are they to do now?

You are just sprouting drivel and you show no sympathy for the thousands of people who are likely to be out of work soon. Go back to your smug, self centred life and don't worry about how other people lead theirs.

This 'ban' also states that it doesn't affect drinking establishments opened by royal decree. IE Royal Thai Military officers' clubs/bars/golf courses. Whatever happens, Kawila Barracks and Wing 41 will still be serving. This ban is not going to affect the drinking habits of the military, just the plebs.

However, the announcement stated that the new ban will not apply to hotels and other service operators established legally under royal decree.

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/pm-prayut-orders-ban-on-alcohol-sales-near-universities-and-vocational-colleges/108369/

I'm now starting to observe just how many places are within 300 meters of CMU in Chiang Mai...

There are some major bars within this distance... assuming they are using the border fence as the 300 meter zone.

There are also a lot of small mom/pop shops that sell beer.

This seems like it is going to cut into a lot of profit for many places.

Should be interesting to see how this unfolds...

If they consider the University Center and the land around it as part of CMU (it is), then they will close Warm-Up, Sahara, Neighborhood, and many other places.

Because not y'all of us are like y'all from the y'all Bible Belt. Y'all

I grew up in a bible belt town, and it drove me to drink. I wasn't the only one, there were more bars than churches in that small town, and there were a lot of churches.

Another side effect of my bible belt childhood is that I'm happy to live on the other side of the world in county with pretty ladies and a religion that doesn't proselytize. If only the beer were better.

Hallelujah!!

Yes, I have seen the light!

One key factor is what happened a couple of months ago when that irresponsible woman mowed down a group of cyclists after a night out drinking. Supposedly it affected the PM on a very personal level and also some of the cyclists were well connected. At least that is what I heard.

What are they to do now?

What drugs are you on? Massage doesn't take any talent or experience? Are you aware that the massage people have to go to school and learn the proper way to massage? They also have to pass a government exam and get a license. You can actually kill someone applying pressure on the temples if you hit the wrong spot.

This 'ban' also states that it doesn't affect drinking establishments opened by royal decree. IE Royal Thai Military officers' clubs/bars/golf courses. Whatever happens, Kawila Barracks and Wing 41 will still be serving. This ban is not going to affect the drinking habits of the military, just the plebs.

However, the announcement stated that the new ban will not apply to hotels and other service operators established legally under royal decree.

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/pm-prayut-orders-ban-on-alcohol-sales-near-universities-and-vocational-colleges/108369/

So Suan Luang should be O.K. still.

Well hopefully this crackdown in town won't affect the few remaining old school roadside cantinas north of Mae Jo along the 1001 or along the connecting 1260 road.

No, the top brass don't venture out to where the commoners live.

Edited by naboo

One key factor is what happened a couple of months ago when that irresponsible woman mowed down a group of cyclists after a night out drinking. Supposedly it affected the PM on a very personal level and also some of the cyclists were well connected. At least that is what I heard.

Similar to the logical fallacy of "A cat has four legs, my dog has four legs, therefore my dog is a cat."

Something must be done, closing places that sell alcohol within 300 meters of schools is something, therefore closing these places must be done.

Logical measures would be more sobriety checkpoints and aggressive enforcement of laws forbidding selling alcohol to underage customers. Trying to keep students from driving drunk by closing all places that sell alcohol within walking distance of their school isn't logical.

Army connected is what I heard.

some people enjoy asking assine questions on while entirely missing the point of the dicussion, others like a drink on an evening out.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,

Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

I am so happy you have an adult imaginary friend. Hope he keeps you company. As for the rest of us realists we will enjoy life without pretend friends

I do think that we have a troll poster on this thread. At least it may explain some of the posts.

I was raised and lived a good part of my life in what is considered the South. While , it is my belief, that "y'all" is used very frequently in spoken English, the more or better educated do very rarely use it in written English. At least that is my opinion. If a poster wishes to be considered at least somewhat learned and educated I don't think they would use it in written texting. Unless maybe they wish to slyly do some trolling. But the vehemence of a poster so solidly against does remind me of a instance in a restaurant some years ago. People at various tables were enjoying their dinners and at a nearby table was a foursome that were loudly pronouncing the evilness of those alcohol drinking fellow diners. It continued for some time, not singly pointing at any one table, but rather pronounced to all those having wine or other alcoholic drinks. It continued way too loudly, that is until one guy at one of the tables proceeded to have enough and walked over to the holy joe table and proceeded to state very loudly for the benefit of all.........." Listen Buddy, Jesus may love you, but the rests of us think you're an Azz hole.... that was greeted with a great round of applause and then quietness.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Much as I dislike 'Y'all' it is vastly superior to the Australian and increasingly English 'Youse'. I'm also seeing it in more and more in writing now too - with various spellings as no spell checker can correct - which has only come about in the last 4 or 5 years, so not Facebook related. It's awful.

Here is an update from the CMU perimeter....I thought Hush Bar had reopened, however a closer look today revealed that it is the new home of Chiang Mai Love Steak (don't confuse with Steak Meet Love), which was formerly located up closer to Derm Derm. The secondary bar, has reopened, but there is a lot more food on display, and I've yet to see anyone with a beer.

I hear one promo company alone has laid off fourteen Pretties.

Management is working to persuade some of the owners of what would be previously regarded as "second," tier restaurants outside of the to ban boundary to up their game. That way the drinks companies can concentrate on brand building in these previously ignored places.

The problem they have is that their point of sale budgets are taking a hammering, and they don't want to invest money into places which have no intention of squaring themselves up and/or offering decent bands to attract the younger crowd.

Much as I dislike 'Y'all' it is vastly superior to the Australian and increasingly English 'Youse'. I'm also seeing it in more and more in writing now too - with various spellings as no spell checker can correct - which has only come about in the last 4 or 5 years, so not Facebook related. It's awful.

I see "y'all" and I think of a poorly educated redneck. I see "youse" and I think of a poorly educated scouser.

biggrin.png

I see "y'all" and I think of a poorly educated redneck. I see "youse" and I think of a poorly educated scouser.

biggrin.png

There's no need for the "poorly educated" qualifier. Same with cockney or Brummie wink.png