'Anna Reese' rejects Bt6.2mil settlement sought by dead cop’s family

webfact

The general understanding of what happened was this, which is why it is likely that Anna doesn't want it to go to court.

- there is a witness who attested she was speeding/racing with the motorcycle, prior to the crash

- she 'disappeared' and conveniently therefore managed to avoid a drunk driving charge (which would have meant no insurance at all, as well as likely criminal liability and jail time) but her conduct was not exactly acceptable

- if it goes to court, and there is some investigation that links her to the motorcycle who gives evidence or can be linked to her, which isn't that hard to do, then there is a smoking gun of negligence and one side might give up the other side. It is also possible that a cop might comment that they were somehow coerced into letting her go without testing her first (cops are not known for standing up for their principles) - so a lot of moving parts and any of them fail and she is looking at serious consequences.

- the fleeing the scene crime is almost a certain conviction, as her conduct speaks for itself

AFAIK she carries a British and a Thai passport, she is considered British/Thai actress. This is not ethnicity, this is nationality, I presume most people understand you do not have to be white or grow up there to be British. It is pointed out in the Thai media for whatever reason since Look Krueng movie stars with a completely English name would be likely presumed to be foreigners unless it is stated that they are not; yet to describe her as Thai given her appearance and name would also be equally confusing.

The process is simple - if a settlement can be reached it doesn't go to court. If it goes to court, then it is likely that the witness and her conduct will make it difficult for her to avoid some serious consequences, this is after all a cop, not someone without any name or support. She has destroyed a family, and now the negotiation is what that is worth. It is obvious that someone who earns the kind of money she has made and drives a benz should be able to show and pay more than someone with nothing. Because she is a minor celebrity (previously) it is more newsworthy than someone no one has heard of.

Unlike some others, there is video evidence here, there was at least 1 witness, the person killed was a cop, and so there is not really a way for her to wriggle out. She is not a 'hiso' or anything like that; she is merely a grade B actress with enablers around her trying to help her to get out of the position she has put herself in.

If she had more balanced viewpoint here, she would realize that she destroyed a family, and would pay up to every baht she has given the potential consequence, but perhaps she already forgot what she did and even believes she was just unlucky, not wrong. Some say she prefers to believe that it is acceptable to "allegedly" drive drunk and partly stoned in a race against a friend, kill someone, flee the scene, then pretend to show remorse and try to low ball the settlement to avoid jail time. This is perhaps the bit that makes her image less popular than other celebrities caught in the same position - e.g. Dome, Sonram.

Edited by steveromagnino

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She doesn't stand a chance of getting off this in court. The Policeman was parked up in his car and she just smashed into the back of it at high speed. The family deserve way more than this. No amount of money will bring back the father of the two children but at least give them enough money that will give them a decent life. 20 million Baht each would be nearer the mark.

I am shocked at the unkind audacity of this reckless woman.

Just take it to court! Hopefully she will get to spend some time in prison if she doesn't want to compensate the family, because that's what all this compensation is about... cash compensation = so that a rich Thai can stay out of prison .

My face is getting sore from all the "face-palming" I've been doing while reading this thread.

Anna Reese isn't some major "A-Lister" movie star. In the last 9 years she's had small parts in 4 movies and a bit part in on episode of a TV show. Her last gig was 3 years ago. Hardly a "star" and not likely "rich" by any means.

The police office was not from Bangkok and therefore was not likely familiar with road he was on. He was returning to his home province after a meeting in Bangkok. Rather than continue to drive when too tired to do so safely, he pulled over onto the shoulder, called his wife so she wouldn't worry and went to sleep. He wasn't from Bangkok and he wasn't on duty. He was trying to do the "right" thing unlike so many other drivers in this country. The shoulder of the road is where people pull over when they have car problems (or really really need to take a whiz badly). It isn't meant to be driven on.

For all the people trying to put the blame on the police officer - give your head a shake. If a family of 4 had car problems and pulled onto the hard shoulder (as they are supposed to - so they aren't blocking traffic) and the father had gotten out to walk to one of those "emergency call boxes" and Reese had come flying along and smashed into the car, killing the 3 remaining occupants, would you be blaming the father ? For doing what he was supposed to do by pulling onto the shoulder that Reese shouldn't have been driving on ? If the situation was reversed and it was Reese parked on the side of the road and a cop (who was too tired to drive) hit her car and killed her, you'd be blaming the cop, not her.

The only way she could have hit the officer's car is if:

She was illegally driving on the shoulder - (ergo she's guilty).

She was intoxicated at the time - (ergo she's guilty).

She was "distracted" by her smartphone/whatever - (ergo she's guilty).

She was driving recklessly (i.e. speeding/racing) - (ergo she's guilty). (Note that supposedly a security guard allegedly saw her racing a large motorcycle just before the accident but who knows, by now his memory may be a bit....faulty.) (Not sure what the "legal" speed limit is on that particular road but she claimed to be doing 100 km/hr at the time, which was around 3 am.)

Unfortunately because the police botched the case by letting her leave we'll never know the full truth. What we do know is, she was driving. She hit a car parked on the side of the road. The occupant of that car was killed as a result.

As for her being charged, there are numerous articles like this one from the Bangkok Post:

"Thai-English actress Anna Reese turned herself in to Prawet police station at 1.30pm on Friday to hear charges of reckless driving causing death and fleeing the scene of an accident, following a crash early on Friday morning."

According to a "press interview" the first thing she did after the accident call her relatives (not 911). Watching the video I see absolutely no reason why the police couldn't have given her a Breathalyzer. According to that same "interview" her relatives "rushed to the scene, found she had injured her left arm, and drove her to their house." Yet the video shows that the (minor) injury on her arm had already been bandaged (I'm guessing by the EMTs on the scene). That video starts well after the accident as there are police, EMTs and (I'm assuming) her relatives on the scene and her arm is bandaged. The video goes on for 4 minutes and no where did I see the police talking to her or trying to prevent her from leaving.

Excellent post - thank you. This is a copy from post #148 - thanks to TallGuyJohninBkk.

"Note the last pgh of the OP article, which wasn't visible in the TV post excerpted portion:

Asked whether criminal charges would move forward against Anna, the officer supervising the case today told Khaosod English that was up to his commander and declined to answer any questions about the case.

Will be interesting to see if they do moved forward with criminal charges; and also conclude the investigation into the inappropriate actions of the attending officers who failed to interview her, administer a breath test, and allowed her to leave the scene.
Or will it be another example of where a case simply doesn't progress and is allowed to simply fade away?

My face is getting sore from all the "face-palming" I've been doing while reading this thread.

Anna Reese isn't some major "A-Lister" movie star. In the last 9 years she's had small parts in 4 movies and a bit part in on episode of a TV show. Her last gig was 3 years ago. Hardly a "star" and not likely "rich" by any means.

The police office was not from Bangkok and therefore was not likely familiar with road he was on. He was returning to his home province after a meeting in Bangkok. Rather than continue to drive when too tired to do so safely, he pulled over onto the shoulder, called his wife so she wouldn't worry and went to sleep. He wasn't from Bangkok and he wasn't on duty. He was trying to do the "right" thing unlike so many other drivers in this country. The shoulder of the road is where people pull over when they have car problems (or really really need to take a whiz badly). It isn't meant to be driven on.

For all the people trying to put the blame on the police officer - give your head a shake. If a family of 4 had car problems and pulled onto the hard shoulder (as they are supposed to - so they aren't blocking traffic) and the father had gotten out to walk to one of those "emergency call boxes" and Reese had come flying along and smashed into the car, killing the 3 remaining occupants, would you be blaming the father ? For doing what he was supposed to do by pulling onto the shoulder that Reese shouldn't have been driving on ? If the situation was reversed and it was Reese parked on the side of the road and a cop (who was too tired to drive) hit her car and killed her, you'd be blaming the cop, not her.

She was driving recklessly (i.e. speeding/racing) - (ergo she's guilty). (Note that supposedly a security guard allegedly saw her racing a large motorcycle just before the accident but who knows, by now his memory may be a bit....faulty.) (Not sure what the "legal" speed limit is on that particular road but she claimed to be doing 100 km/hr at the time, which was around 3 am.)

Unfortunately because the police botched the case by letting her leave we'll never know the full truth. What we do know is, she was driving. She hit a car parked on the side of the road. The occupant of that car was killed as a result.

As for her being charged, there are numerous articles like this one from the Bangkok Post:

"Thai-English actress Anna Reese turned herself in to Prawet police station at 1.30pm on Friday to hear charges of reckless driving causing death and fleeing the scene of an accident, following a crash early on Friday morning."

According to a "press interview" the first thing she did after the accident call her relatives (not 911). Watching the video I see absolutely no reason why the police couldn't have given her a Breathalyzer. According to that same "interview" her relatives "rushed to the scene, found she had injured her left arm, and drove her to their house." Yet the video shows that the (minor) injury on her arm had already been bandaged (I'm guessing by the EMTs on the scene). That video starts well after the accident as there are police, EMTs and (I'm assuming) her relatives on the scene and her arm is bandaged. The video goes on for 4 minutes and no where did I see the police talking to her or trying to prevent her from leaving.

Thank you for a voice of reason on this. Who cares if it was not legal for him to have parked on the side of the road? All drivers, if they are conscious, not drunk, not daydreaming, and aware of their surroundings, would have avoided colliding into his car. She is totally at fault. Just because he was on the side of the road, does not in any way, shape or form excuse her for the homicide she committed. My guess is, that in most countries she would be under arrest for manslaughter. In the land of no law and order, she walks free. She needs to be decent about this, and fulfill her promise to take care of the family. Or was that a Disgusting Donald type promise?

As she has already told the press that the ghost of the dead cop has forgiven her I await news that said ghost has ok'd the 2 million too.

She is not a dumb lady. This whole walking away before a blood test(the cops on this should be fired) and then going to a temple crying and then saying the guys ghost forgave her was a buildup to the cash negotiations. If the guy forgave her she should be "entitled" to a lower settlement figure plus her name is in the news. Publicity in any form is always good for an actress and she sure has played her part well.

No amount of money will bring the deceased back the book should be thrown at the actress if it were the UK she would be facing a possible prison term and I bet her Merc cost not much less than 6 million. I am sure the deceased's widow would much rather him being at home taking care of her and her children than seeking compensation PAY UP U TIGHT BITCH you killed the guy it was your fault !

Firstly maybe it was simply an accident, yes she hit the deceased mans car, intentionally no, so again, it was an unfortunate accident. In this case it would be improbable she would face jail time in the UK, unless she was of course intoxicated, but that is a fact we don't know.

Edited by Harry H

Fair enough. Take her to court. Hope the court throws 20mn at her. 5mn for a life, where it may end up with a criminal prosecution is really pitiful.

the liar should be in jail ......... pay up or slam the door shut . ....no one wants to see this twit do anything on tv or movies , that part of her drunk life is over ......

She not so pretty any more maybe from to much drugs or alcohol. Not many jobs for a over the hill actress. I guess her stay in the temple did not teach her compassion for the policeman,s family. They should have tested her that night for drugs or alcohol. The best show she ever put on was crying for the dead policeman and drying out at the temple. Maybe!

if the cops had any eggs , they would "insure" she paid up ... just goes to show they do not take care of their own if some tea money to be made .....

Edited by mikiea

Stop the financial negotiations.

Take her to criminal court. Killing a cop no matter how is still a large crime. Let her answer to that charge.

Then after she is found guilty let the family take her to court.

I think that considering the BS amounts that are paid for different things both here and in the news in other countries has set the stage.

6 million should not be out of the question the problem is that out of the 6 mill how much will she or the kids get?

This story highlights Thai society perfectly. As soon as large sums of money are involved and someone from ''Tee-Wee'' there is huge interest in all parties.

And of course this is all being conducted under the media spotlight.

This ''actress'' (actress? cheesy.gif ) is nothing more than a Z-list celebrity working in the Thai media which has absolutely ZERO standing around the world. Yet at the moment she's being seen as a OJ Simpson type figure.

If I had killed that policeman I wouldn't have the option of posing in front of the cameras trying to do the ''right thing''. I'd have been locked up before I had time to clean my sh1tty knickers and would now be enjoying my ''khao daeng''.

Laughable!

you see in thailand ....feeling and mistakes has a price and depending of your position ...then a diferent or higher price.

at the end many cries from that girl, many sorries, many talk and bla bla bla....but the deads are deads and the alive ones just go for the money ...like every where in the world and the bad one try not to pay.

with money there is no diference then beetween thainess and farangness.

it is just a world of interest!

as i am no able to change anything anyway.......i 'll have another beer burp.gif and forget about all of this poor stupid story that thai media tried to put on the top of the information because of her, when other many people, every day are still dying on the road, right now because of alcool abuse or do not respect the signals or just drive the crazy way they want without thinking in what they are doing on the road....again education is their failure here.

in france we used to say: dont ask a pear tree to give you apples!

coffee1.gif

So despite killing a policeman she never received any charges, nothing. The lady who posted on facebook get's 56 years (halved by the compassion of the junta as she confessed). Yeah, seems legit

I'm amused by those of you who think this woman is rich. As pointed by out by kerryd:

As for the Benz she was driving? Hell, I know more than a few Thai who have a Benz and are in hock up to their eyebrows.

I'm not commenting on her guilt or innocence in this case, but only pointing out how some of you seem to think that the word "actress" attached to her name automatically makes her filthy rich.

Your prejudice is in blatant display when you think like that.

It sort of looks like a lottery with people arguing about the prize amount after they have won.

Imagine that we think we should win a prize by dying accidentally.

In nature how many fish or chickens or cows would take out insurance?

The insurance company is paying the maximum amount. Very good of them.

People here in the Thai Visa jury think because she has a Mercedes that she owns it.

Maybe it is leased and all part of the show?

I know of an at fault accident in which 1 million baht was paid. So that is what a life is worth in Thailand.

She had an accident it is a very sad state of affairs.

At least she had insurance. This must be very sad for the wife and kids.

We do not know the situation or financial status of either party and we seek to make a judgement on assumptions.

You wear some pretty clothes and say you are an actress and they think you are a billionare?

I did not read that anywhere. I have met lots of people who play the show but are close to being bankrupt.

I will let them work it out between them and hope they do the best they can so that what is fair happens.

Well, if you are going to carry out your entire story of the crash in public behind a pair of large ray bans, gatecrash the funeral, then pray for forgiveness, then try to renegotiate the payment, I think u can expect some criticism.

She could offer to.donate 500k per year for 12 years. I think an actress should be able to manage that.

Sue the panties off the "half hitch". Jail time babe! bah.gif

Ah, but you have to remember, she already "influenced" the cops to let her go home before they tested her for alcohol or drugs; thereby, the incident was an accident. Besides, in court, who can afford the best lawyer? I'd place my bet on a negotiated settlement between B3.2m and B6.2m.

Still waiting to hear about the beer tycoon's grandson who killed the cop in his Ferrari. (More x than Benz). I think I read he paid the family 100K baht, not sure. Rumors were the kid was drugged up as I recall. Was that cop sleeping on the roadside. Pretty stupid of anyone to pull over on a main drag to fall asleep. And a Thai cop of all people should know better. If she didn't hit him you can bet someone else would have. And it would probably have not been a farong.

So much hypocrisy on this board. Where is the beer kid today? What happened to him? Who got paid off? ?? That happened years ago, right. Might as well use that case as the template. So if the kid is still out of the country and the cops are still "investigating" the case hey, let's wait till that one gets settled and go from there. Sounds fair to me.

Thank you for a voice of reason on this. Who cares if it was not legal for him to have parked on the side of the road? All drivers, if they are conscious, not drunk, not daydreaming, and aware of their surroundings, would have avoided colliding into his car. She is totally at fault. Just because he was on the side of the road, does not in any way, shape or form excuse her for the homicide she committed. My guess is, that in most countries she would be under arrest for manslaughter. In the land of no law and order, she walks free. She needs to be decent about this, and fulfill her promise to take care of the family. Or was that a Disgusting Donald type promise?

Hey if the cop wasn't illegally parked on the shoulder he would still be alive today. The hypocrisy of the pundits on this board is a joke. NONE of the traffic laws are EVER enforced in the Land of Scams. When the cops start doing their jobs (other than taking bribes) maybe this crap will stop. I get almost hit almost every day by some Thai driver talking or texting on their phone. I saw a hit and run a month ago. This place is a joke. The woman should pay something but not more than a Thai would pay another Thai. That beer kid's family are billionaires. How much did they pay? Did he go to jail? Was he even charged? Let's get this one out of the backlog first and then start bitching about it here.

Still waiting to hear about the beer tycoon's grandson who killed the cop in his Ferrari. (More x than Benz). I think I read he paid the family 100K baht, not sure. Rumors were the kid was drugged up as I recall. Was that cop sleeping on the roadside. Pretty stupid of anyone to pull over on a main drag to fall asleep. And a Thai cop of all people should know better. If she didn't hit him you can bet someone else would have. And it would probably have not been a farong.

So much hypocrisy on this board. Where is the beer kid today? What happened to him? Who got paid off? ?? That happened years ago, right. Might as well use that case as the template. So if the kid is still out of the country and the cops are still "investigating" the case hey, let's wait till that one gets settled and go from there. Sounds fair to me.

Beer ?

Are you talking bout the Red Bull kid ?

He paid the family 3 million baht.

What did the red bull guy pay?

From what I heard today from an insider - intially 25 million Baht to a certain law inforcement station/office. Then, as things escalated, probably due to media attention, desparation made somebody make a phone call he wish he had not. This resulted in a further 1 billion Baht payment (yes, billion, not million), not to the relatives though.....

Now the Red Bull guy is apparantly living a normal, though quiet and under the radar, life in Thailand.

I consent, this very well might be just false rumours, but this is what I was told today by someone who´s been around for a while in Bangkok.

I think your source has been in the sun too long.

I could only find out of date articles on this, however they all said 3 million, so i presume his friend was propped up on a bar stool when he gave him that information.