Thai Ministry list of 'farang forbidden jobs' is a barrel of laughs

webfact

The OP is a barrel of laughs indeed!

But it must be also a source of great shame and sorrow for any Thai. Especially an educated Thai.

If this official document is the best translation into English the Thai Ministry of Labor can produce - how can Thailand move into ASEAN?

And blaming it on Google translation is not working. Not for me.

My second thought is even more horrible.

What if the original document is translated correctly? I wouldn't like to look inside the Thai head that produces this!

Now I understand: The World and Thailand are really Aliens. The Immigration Officers are right.

Point taken ABCer. I think you have a very good point here.

THAi-NESS. The inability of a "proud" Nation to accept that they can possibly be wrong. OR That they need assistance sometimes.

I spoke recently to a Farang working in Thailand assisting the Thai Government to improve English Teaching skills.

Also improving Local Government Administration and proceedings.

He had made the effort to learn the language - including Isaan in an effort to show his good will.

He said the resistance to his advice/teaching was so great, that he no longer wished to try and help/assist them further.

Bear in mind this was amongst the "educated" Thai people.

He was packing the job in.

Sad for Thailand.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it must be also a source of great shame and sorrow for any Thai. Especially an educated Thai.

If this official document is the best translation into English the Thai Ministry of Labor can produce - how can Thailand move into ASEAN?

What if the original document is translated correctly? I wouldn't like to look inside the Thai head that produces this!

Now I understand: The World and Thailand are really Aliens. The Immigration Officers are right.

I have had documents translated from Thai-English in Bkk and CM and they seemed to make sense, nothing like the gibberish in the OP.

Why can't the government employ people who know what they are doing ? They are out there.

I see from your previous posts you are from the USA, can you tell me how to pronounce this word please, ALUMINIUM?

We pronounce it the correct way, of course, "aluminum" :-D

Yanks call things that boats use as BOOIES, as in "Boo" too make People Jump. Weird Lot.

Not necessarily, some of us pronounce it like "bowie." Some people say "roof" to rhyme with boeuf, some to rhyme with poof. It's a big country with all kinds of people in it :-).

What's kind of weird to me in this day in age is how Brits, especially, cling to this anachronistic idea of "one correct pronunciation." Tomay-to, tomah-to, let's call the whole thing off!

this is not our country!!!! we should not be allowed to take their jobs!!!! if you want to be a worker bee/sheep, go back to your country and slave for the man!!!!

i am 50 and retired on the absolute minimum... once i taught a kid how to say "Rice" and then felt bad and tried to get a work permit for my "working"....

now i am blacklisted and in china........knee how.....

Point taken ABCer. I think you have a very good point here.

THAi-NESS. The inability of a "proud" Nation to accept that they can possibly be wrong. OR That they need assistance sometimes.

I spoke recently to a Farang working in Thailand assisting the Thai Government to improve English Teaching skills.

Also improving Local Government Administration and proceedings.

He had made the effort to learn the language - including Isaan in an effort to show his good will.

He said the resistance to his advice/teaching was so great, that he no longer wished to try and help/assist them further.

Bear in mind this was amongst the "educated" Thai people.

He was packing the job in.

Sad for Thailand.

Maybe the language of Thailand (incl. the Isaan) are living languages, much more than you can ever imagine. Maybe you should try to "read between the lines", and then think it over. Maybe you can get something out of it. Maybe.

Here is the list.

http://www.mol.go.th/en/content/page/6347

I'm particularly gutted by no. 21. (the card) I've always been a bit of a card.

I didn't know no. 23 (Job Buddha) was based in Thailand nor up for grabs. I would have thought non-Thais could do that elsewhere, though.

No. 18 (Lghn a job) baffles me completely but I suspect it's what the compiler of this list does.

Someone should tell the Ministry of Truth Buddha was a foreign alien (Indian), not Thai.

Edited by SiSePuede419

Here is the list.

I didn't know no. 23 (Job Buddha) was based in Thailand nor up for grabs. I would have thought non-Thais could do that elsewhere, though.

No. 18 (Lghn a job) baffles me completely but I suspect it's what the compiler of this list does.

Someone should tell the Ministry of Truth Buddha was a foreign alien (Indian), not Thai.

Maybe yes, maybe no. What difference would it make to the reincarnation of a Buddha ?

Here is the list.

Maybe yes, maybe no. What difference would it make to the reincarnation of a Buddha ?

There could be no reincarnation of the (Thai) Buddha, had Buddha not been born as an Indian.

Just like Christianity wouldn't exist if Jesus hadn't been born a Jew.

Good point!

Let's all ignore our religious origins together. Kumbaya, 555

For the fun of it I translated the page back to Thai and then again back to English and suddenly it all looks much clearer to me , especially number 10 was a valid point for me.

1. Working Class
2. Gas farmers individual animals of the forest or fishery, except that the use of specialized expertise or control of the farm.
3. The construction of masonry or carpentry work more.
4. Wood Carving
5. Driving The driver or the vehicle is used or engineering. Except for pilot
6. Sale of Home
7. Auction
8. monitoring or control unless the interim audit.
9. cut or polish or jewelery.
10. haircut or loss of beauty.
11. Hand-woven
12. woven mats or appliance that works with straw or reed, rattan, bamboo, hemp.
13. Hand Paper
14. Lacquer work
15. Thailand musical work
16. Filling Machine
17. Gold or silver alloy.
18. Lghin jobs
19. Dolls, Thailand
20. duvets, mattress works
21. Card
22. Products made of silk.
23. Buddha Jobs
24. Knife Works
25. Working in the shade with paper or cloth.
26. Work Shoes
27. Work hats
28. broker or agent unless the agent or broker in the business of international trade.
29. To work in engineering, civil engineering-related scientific research project to design and test construction control or guidance excludes special expertise is needed.
30. professional involved with painting, architectural design and construction on the price of the Director or advice.
31. Clothing and Crafts
32. statue or making pottery.
33. hand-rolled
34. guide or tour
35. Hawk products
36. The work individually hand-printed letters Thailand.
37 Young and some hand twisted helix.
38. employees or secretarial staff
39. Working for legal services or legal action.
Edited by balo

Why can't the government employ people who know what they are doing ? They are out there.

It's the same in all the countries over that world ;

Do u think the ministry of agriculture in France or in Australia knows something about how to inseminate a cow ? gigglem.gif

For the fun of it I translated the page back to Thai and then again back to English and suddenly it all looks much clearer to me , especially number 10 was a valid point for me.

1. Working Class
2. Gas farmers individual animals of the forest or fishery, except that the use of specialized expertise or control of the farm.
4. Wood Carving
6. Sale of Home
7. Auction
11. Hand-woven
12. woven mats or appliance that works with straw or reed, rattan, bamboo, hemp.
13. Hand Paper
14. Lacquer work
16. Filling Machine
18. Lghin jobs
19. Dolls, Thailand
21. Card
23. Buddha Jobs
24. Knife Works
26. Work Shoes
27. Work hats
28. broker or agent unless the agent or broker in the business of international trade.
29. To work in engineering, civil engineering-related scientific research project to design and test construction control or guidance excludes special expertise is needed.
30. professional involved with painting, architectural design and construction on the price of the Director or advice.
31. Clothing and Crafts
33. hand-rolled
34. guide or tour
35. Hawk products

At the foot of the page:

**Note: As per the Cabinet’s Resolutions, illegal foreign workers from Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia have been given an indulgence to work in the Kingdom in 2 occupations, which are 1) Labour work and 2) Domestic work.

1. Working Class

4. Wood Carving

6. Sale of Home

7. Auction

11. Hand-woven

13. Hand Paper

14. Lacquer work

16. Filling Machine

18. Lghin jobs

19. Dolls, Thailand

21. Card

23. Buddha Jobs

24. Knife Works

26. Work Shoes

27. Work hats

31. Clothing and Crafts

33. hand-rolled

34. guide or tour

35. Hawk products

At the foot of the page:

**Note: As per the Cabinets Resolutions, illegal foreign workers from Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia have been given an indulgence to work in the Kingdom in 2 occupations, which are 1) Labour work and 2) Domestic work.

For humanitarian reasons. Hats off to Thailand.

http://www.mol.go.th/en/content/page/6347 Now it is looking much more professional. It is as of yet not clear what the reason was for the funny translation. For all we know they might have been hacked by someone wanting to make them lose face... Stranger things have happened.

Yes certainly much better, but I still don't understand why civil engineers are included in the list that's mainly manual work. Although number 33 makes me laugh, rolling your own cigs is not allowed !!!!!!!

Here is the list.

The link kindly provided shows the official translation.

I suspect there could be another question - how many government officers (all ministries) actually know that most regulations etc., have official English translations?

Examples:

1. My Thai son went to the amphur office at Phya Thai to get official divorce documents. He said he didn't quite understand one section of the Thai language document and showed the lady the English translation from the official website. Officer got angry and insisted that he had a fake document because nothing in Thailand is allowed to have official translations to English. He tried to show her the start page of the ministry website on his ipad, she refused to look.

2. Friends Thai wife tried to explain to amphur office in Chiang Mai that her husband had been approved for Permanent Residency and therefore should now be recorded on the family Tabien Baan book. She had the appropriate regulations and procedures in both Thai and English. Amphur officer got angry: 'fake documents', 'rude to come here with these documents' and refused to discuss any further or take any actions with the Tabien Baan book. They left the office with no satisfaction. Luckily the officer retired soon after. They went back (with the Thai and English documents), whole different attitude, all completed in ten minutes, with very friendly discourse.

3. Sons Thai male friend got married in Roi Et, new wife a western lady. Son and his wife and myself went to the wedding. They went to local district office for official wedding certificate, all printed in Thai. Manager of the office walked by and asked the western bride is everything was OK, all in good English. Wife replied all OK but was it possible to have the certificate in English as well as Thai? Somebody quickly translated the question to Thai and the Counter staff immediately said NO. Manager intervened and gave instructions on how to find the document in their official website in English and all printed and signed within a couple of minutes. Manger politely asked the western bride if she would please check and the spelling etc. It was perfect. It was obvious the counter staff simply didn't know that many forms are available in their site in English.

Edited by scorecard

http://www.mol.go.th/en/content/page/6347 Now it is looking much more professional. It is as of yet not clear what the reason was for the funny translation. For all we know they might have been hacked by someone wanting to make them lose face... Stranger things have happened.

Yes certainly much better, but I still don't understand why civil engineers are included in the list that's mainly manual work. Although number 33 makes me laugh, rolling your own cigs is not allowed !!!!!!!

Is it really forbidden? To my knowledge it is quite common that foreigners help thai companies with these kind of things.

Is it really forbidden? To my knowledge it is quite common that foreigners help thai companies with these kind of things.

Its a reference to Thai registered professional engineers in Thailand, a foreigner cannot fulfill this role however they can be advisors or consultants but legally cannot sign off a design or construction as a Thai registered professional engineer as the law requires

There are similar processes like this in many countries not just Thailand

Its a reference to Thai registered professional engineers in Thailand, a foreigner cannot fulfill this role however they can be advisors or consultants but legally cannot sign off a design or construction as a Thai registered professional engineer as the law requires

Doctor of medicine another similar example.

Doctor of medicine another similar example.

Lawyers as well

Here is the list.

The link kindly provided shows the official translation.

I suspect there could be another question - how many government officers (all ministries) actually know that most regulations etc., have official English translations?

Examples:

1. My Thai son went to the amphur office at Phya Thai to get official divorce documents. He said he didn't quite understand one section of the Thai language document and showed the lady the English translation from the official website. Officer got angry and insisted that he had a fake document because nothing in Thailand is allowed to have official translations to English. He tried to show her the start page of the ministry website on his ipad, she refused to look.

2. Friends Thai wife tried to explain to amphur office in Chiang Mai that her husband had been approved for Permanent Residency and therefore should now be recorded on the family Tabien Baan book. She had the appropriate regulations and procedures in both Thai and English. Amphur officer got angry: 'fake documents', 'rude to come here with these documents' and refused to discuss any further or take any actions with the Tabien Baan book. They left the office with no satisfaction. Luckily the officer retired soon after. They went back (with the Thai and English documents), whole different attitude, all completed in ten minutes, with very friendly discourse.

3. Sons Thai male friend got married in Roi Et, new wife a western lady. Son and his wife and myself went to the wedding. They went to local district office for official wedding certificate, all printed in Thai. Manager of the office walked by and asked the western bride is everything was OK, all in good English. Wife replied all OK but was it possible to have the certificate in English as well as Thai? Somebody quickly translated the question to Thai and the Counter staff immediately said NO. Manager intervened and gave instructions on how to find the document in their official website in English and all printed and signed within a couple of minutes. Manger politely asked the western bride if she would please check and the spelling etc. It was perfect. It was obvious the counter staff simply didn't know that many forms are available in their site in English.

They have updated this page as a result of this thread.

• 1 year later...