is this a possibility or probable

I have been watching China's ties with Thai and grow and the tourism grow.

I started to think. Is it possible that Chines investors could build or buy resorts in Thailand? Could chinese start tour companies in Thailand. Could chinese open large restaurants .

If the chinese could do all this do you think it would be possible for the chinese to capitalize on tourism in Thailand . Could the chinese sell tours in their homeland for Thailand. the tour would stay in chinese owned resorts use chinese owned tour buses owned by chinese tour companies,eat in chinese restaurants. Basically come to Thailand and only stimulate the economy as far as workers at the resorts and restaurants with the lions share of profits going back to china. Is this possible you think? Then millions upon millions could come here.

During the past two days, The Chinese yuan has been devalued by 3.5%, and that means everything that is not produced in China is that much more expensive. Thailand may have very close ties to China, and it's likely Thailand will have fewer visitors from the Mainland.

Huh? This already happens in Phuket. Chinese businesses already own some large hotels and are building more ==> The Terminal project at the airport.

Yes that is one segment of it. But what I was trying to suggest was business involved from the booking agency,airline,tour bus,resort,restaurant would all be owner by Chinese interests. They wouldnot even use a taxi.The only money made by Thais would be as workers at the chinese owned establishments. Minimum wage. TOT would have large numbers but money brought in and left in Thailand would be little.

Edited by lovelomsak

Huh? This already happens in Phuket. Chinese businesses already own some large hotels and are building more ==> The Terminal project at the airport.

Yes that is one segment of it. But what I was trying to suggest was business involved from the booking agency,airline,tour bus,resort,restaurant would all be owner by Chinese interests. They wouldnot even use a taxi.The only money made by Thais would be as workers at the chinese owned establishments. Minimum wage. TOT would have large numbers but money brought in and left in Thailand would be little.

How is this different from farangs that own businesses ? I mean that is the same they will also hire their friends and companies they like.

How is this different from farangs that own businesses ? I mean that is the same they will also hire their friends and companies they like.

Big difference.The farangs are usually single shops. Like bar or restaurant,or resort. In my time in Thailand I cannot remember one time I saw buses of farangs being ran around on tours . So it never happened in my opinion. Sure farangs who are English cater to englishman, german business caters to germans that is the nature of business.. But not entire tours.

Chinese are becoming the main source of tourism. And they travel different than farangs. They travel in large tours are lead around by tour leader. Go where tour bus takes them,stay where prearranged before they leave China,where they eat prearranged,where they shop. prearranged. Their experience in Thailand can easily be organized by the business wise chinese to give tours to Thailand and the tour never goes into a thai or farang owned business.

This tour concept isnot used by farangs in Thailand so there is quite a difference.

Edited by lovelomsak

China is encroaching on countries all over the world buying up fertile land to grow crops to ship back home using cheap local labor. A lot of countries are putting a stop to it but the damage has been done. In the USA, Canada, Australia its high end real estate. They are investing in countries infrastructure countries like Ecuador. They really have them ham strung with the drop in oil prices and the loans contain high interest rates. Their tenacles are reaching all over the globe. They are finally spending their hoard of USA dollars. Guess they are starting to worry about its value in the future. Each year you can take your paper dollar and shave a bit off. If you started a 100 years ago you would have about 5% left of the original.

Yes, that was happening today. 555

It will he funny to see what will happen with China as the big sugar daddy in the near future, using Thailand as a Trojan horse in asean.

The first time I was "speed reading" this my brain said, "Trojan horse in season". That might be about right anyway. I think I agree with the OP.

As the OP outlined that is probably exactly how it will happen and is probably already well entrenched. Had the misfortune of dealing with Chinese tour operators in the past, they wanted 40% of sales, not a good long term business model and you are eventually at their complete mercy.

The Japanese used to do similar in Australia back in the 1980's. This model benefits the insiders only, probably Chinese-Thais and Chinese companies. The average Thais that used to cash in on the tourism will eventually figure out they've been screwed. In fact they probably only tolerated the "farangs" as so many made a dollar.

already happening in Thailand, it was likely to massively increase, but the stock market crash for trillions of dollars in the last few months is causing margin calls on the Chinese investors. They are going to have to sell their real estate, hold off on future investments, and hope their savings don't vanish. With the Yuan depreciating so rapidly, its not going an easy time for the Chinese to buy land in foreign countries.

The Chinese are doing it here in South Africa too,in every single small shopping centre you'll find a clothing shop or take away run by Chinese. But they are never busy,so I don't know how they make money to just pay the rent....but when the police bust people for abalone,rhino horn,counterfeit cigarettes smuggling it surprisingly are Chinese people....and guess who most of their labour are,Nigerians !

What a great business model!

You own the tour company that sells the package, the plane that flies the passenger, the tour bus that ships the passengers everywhere.

You own the hotel they stay in, you own the shows they go to see, the gem stone and latex rubber mattresses they get taken to and pressure sold.

And yet if we nurse a Chang or a Heineken on our own (having paid for flight, paid for our accomodation, used taxis, rented bikes or cars, eat out at restaurants, go shopping etc all independently I might add). We are the ones that get called cheap charlies!