Bangkok Family room Scam

Spleen

Happened to me a couple of times in the last 2 weeks. The hotel advertises '2 Bedroom Family room" when you get there its 2 adjoining rooms which if booked as such is about 70% cheaper than The family room, that's in a reasonably new hotel in soi 11

Another one just past 21lhs, advertises Twin and double rooms for the same price I booked 1 Twin one double ,1 night no refund, however they contacted me and said they could not provide a twin room,but extra bed is 1200bt

Never used to be like that as far as my experience goes in Bangkok, seems they are trying to drain tourists of money through any means.

Not a hot topic I'll admit but I don't want the scheming ponces to catch others out

Happened to me a couple of times in the last 2 weeks. The hotel advertises '2 Bedroom Family room" when you get there its 2 adjoining rooms which if booked as such is about 70% cheaper than The family room, that's in a reasonably new hotel in soi 11

Another one just past 21lhs, advertises Twin and double rooms for the same price I booked 1 Twin one double ,1 night no refund, however they contacted me and said they could not provide a twin room,but extra bed is 1200bt

Never used to be like that as far as my experience goes in Bangkok, seems they are trying to drain tourists of money through any means.

Not a hot topic I'll admit but I don't want the scheming ponces to catch others out

If you use someone like booking.com you can leave a review of your stay

Yes I have used them for years , I did review for last hotel ,we went to the hotel and checked in before we realized it was a scam , not sure if thats the right word. Tonight I booked 1 Twin and one double , so obviously I thought that was it, they took the dough, 1 night and then when I mailed them they said they may not have twin available, so in that case why did they allow to reserve one . I believe it was to charge me 1200 for extra bed, anyway I cancelled and lost my dough although Ive told my bank the money was taken under false pretences

Low season, don't book in advance.

Better deal online, book it online from the hotel reception after viewing the room.

yeah true, I'm home for the weekend , and we were going to stay in Bangkok with the kids , movie and something to eat

1,200 baht for an extra bed!

Are they buying the [deleted] thing for you??

Yeah that's part of it isn't it , give you two double room instead of the Twin that they allowed me to book without actually having any and then stitch me up 1200Bs for an extra bed. Ive complained to a department of tats Unethical practice department, I think they are actually looking for ideas rather than complaints

You should always check out the hotel direct as the likes of Booking.com take twenty percent commission so most hotels are quite flexible if you tell them that's where you were going to book.

Ive used them for years and booked probably hundreds of hotel rooms with them. ive never known them to take commission they make their money from advertising , thats why the site is getting annoying. They always include the price plus Tax , so no 17% surprises on the bill. They mailed me and apologized about what happened. But in this case its the hotels fault confirming rooms that they have not got

Yes I have used them for years , I did review for last hotel ,we went to the hotel and checked in before we realized it was a scam , not sure if thats the right word. Tonight I booked 1 Twin and one double , so obviously I thought that was it, they took the dough, 1 night and then when I mailed them they said they may not have twin available, so in that case why did they allow to reserve one . I believe it was to charge me 1200 for extra bed, anyway I cancelled and lost my dough although Ive told my bank the money was taken under false pretences

Have you contacted booking.com support? I'm sure they'd refund you if you paid for a room that wasn't available. I've been refunded in similar circumtances by other booking websites.

You should always check out the hotel direct as the likes of Booking.com take twenty percent commission so most hotels are quite flexible if you tell them that's where you were going to book.

Ive used them for years and booked probably hundreds of hotel rooms with them. ive never known them to take commission they make their money from advertising , thats why the site is getting annoying. They always include the price plus Tax , so no 17% surprises on the bill. They mailed me and apologized about what happened. But in this case its the hotels fault confirming rooms that they have not got

Booking.com definitely take commission, as do other similar booking sites.

Our friends who run a Resort tell me that booking.com take a fee of 17.5% and Agoda.com take a fee of 20% from their advertised price. Others may be charged differently.

Our friends who run a Resort tell me that booking.com take a fee of 17.5% and Agoda.com take a fee of 20% from their advertised price. Others may be charged differently.

Sounds fair.

If room was booked through one of the sites like Booking or alike, and hotel does not have room type booked, hotel MUST either upgrade or provide an alternative and no extra cost to the guest.

If booking was made direct with hotel. you can file for charge back with your bank, because hotel does not have product it has sold. or product/service is NOT as advertised.

If room was booked through one of the sites like Booking or alike, and hotel does not have room type booked, hotel MUST either upgrade or provide an alternative and no extra cost to the guest.

If booking was made direct with hotel. you can file for charge back with your bank, because hotel does not have product it has sold. or product/service is NOT as advertised.

It wasnt free cancellation but then again it wasn't a Twin room either. I called and mailed the Bank and Visa through the site .as I am a "Premier" account holder the rushed to assist 3 days later . I also contacted booking.com and they were pretty good . If you would like to see a scathing review of my first "Family room "scamming have a look at Grand Swiss Hotel soi 11 Booking .com

"Family Room scam "
Booking . com.

We gave our check in time on booking for 11 am to midday. When we arrived with our children we were told room not available until 2, they did not call and tell us this before we came , they offered us no other empty room to spend our time in while we waited for our room so we had to go out for a couple of hours in Bangkok. Also the room I paid for was not the room I got . I booked 2 Bedroom Family room, when what they gave us was 2 rooms with "Adjoining door" Despite my complaint to the Manager that I was not being given what I booked , they argued the "Pictures" showed the adjoining door on the website. I did ask if they though that if the very small pictures or the text saying two bedroom family room was contractually binding. Had I had known on booking it was 2 seperate rooms I would have booked 1 double and 1 Twin room and saved money, thats all I got but it was priced as family room, The manager I spoke to was very unaccommodating and I will never stay there again

Not being a smart ass but I stay in hotels very frequently, hundreds in the last couple of years, mainly for work and when I come home we have a few days with the away with kids. if I request an early check in directly from the hotel and they cannot do it they'll let you . I think its because they don't like people milling around reception looking bored. If your room is occupied the night before your stay , then not much chance of being available, but when its quieter Ive checked into hotels at 10am

Edited by Spleen

Varies from hotel to hotel. Normally whenever I request an early check in I receive the message that it's subject to availability. And like you, I spend a great number of nights a year in hotels due to work.

Varies from hotel to hotel. Normally whenever I request an early check in I receive the message that it's subject to availability. And like you, I spend a great number of nights a year in hotels due to work.

Yep that is par for the course , but after I book through B.com, I usually email the hotel as I did in this case, get the answer you describe and them ask them to mail or call me if the room is likely to be occuied when I arrive early. Basically if no one is staying in the room you have booked the night before you could check in at 9am if you wanted to, most will give you an email if it cant happen. If its mandatory to check in at 2pm then they should not ask you if you want to check in early

It wasnt free cancellation but then again it wasn't a Twin room either. I called and mailed the Bank and Visa through the site .as I am a "Premier" account holder the rushed to assist 3 days later . I also contacted booking.com and they were pretty good . If you would like to see a scathing review of my first "Family room "scamming have a look at Grand Swiss Hotel soi 11 Booking .com

Not sure if you struggle to read. so will try again

Nothing to do with cancellation.

If booked room not available, hotel must either provide an upgrade free of charge to you or find an alternative arrangements at their own expense.

This is the deal between hotel and booking,com.

If hotel fails, you only need to contact booking.com and they will find suitable upgrade at no extra charge to you, they would also give you refund.

Not familiar with indian premier account holder services, the general mastercard or visa procedures are pretty easy, file claim, provide evidence and get refund

If booked room not available, hotel must either provide an upgrade free of charge to you or find an alternative arrangements at their own expense.

If hotel fails, you only need to contact booking.com and they will find suitable upgrade at no extra charge to you, they would also give you refund.

Not familiar with indian premier account holder services, the general mastercard or visa procedures are pretty easy, file claim, provide evidence and get refund

Can you read because this is their answer

Thank you for contacting the Booking.com Customer Service team.

We’re sorry to hear about your experience with The Continent Bangkok by Compass Hospitality but at the same time we would like to thank you for taking the time to notify us of the situation.

Here at Booking.com we act as intermediates between guests and accommodations. On our website we offer a wide variety of options - every accommodation type from tents to luxury resorts to suit every budget and style in over 80.000 global destinations. And to help our customers pick and choose their accommodation, we offer helpful information and tools, such as verified guest reviews and price information that allows guests to make price-value trade-offs. For accommodations the Booking.com website is a unique platform to advertise their own property, and because the properties themselves provide all the data on their facilities, they are also responsible for all the information provided to you.

Please be informed that the room type booked was a Double or Twin Room, and specific bedding arrangements are not guaranteed even if requested. For them to be guaranteed, the hotel needs to confirm the request.

Thank you again for choosing Booking.com. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.

Kind regards,

We’re sorry to hear about your experience with The Continent Bangkok by Compass Hospitality but at the same time we would like to thank you for taking the time to notify us of the situation.

Here at Booking.com we act as intermediates between guests and accommodations. On our website we offer a wide variety of options - every accommodation type from tents to luxury resorts to suit every budget and style in over 80.000 global destinations. And to help our customers pick and choose their accommodation, we offer helpful information and tools, such as verified guest reviews and price information that allows guests to make price-value trade-offs. For accommodations the Booking.com website is a unique platform to advertise their own property, and because the properties themselves provide all the data on their facilities, they are also responsible for all the information provided to you.

Please be informed that the room type booked was a Double or Twin Room, and specific bedding arrangements are not guaranteed even if requested. For them to be guaranteed, the hotel needs to confirm the request.

Thank you again for choosing Booking.com. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.

Kind regards,

So hold there a minute sparky.

YOU made a booking for room which was double or twin, depending on availability. YOU failed to confirm prior to making the booking but NOW blaming the hotel for scamming you?

1,200 baht for an extra bed!

Are they buying the [deleted] thing for you??

There are several hotels in North Pattaya charging upwards of 1000B for a compulsory extra bed for toddlers on Agoda on rooms that are under 1000B a night. A minefield when booking a room for myself, wife and 2 year old daughter.

For example.

refund

Kind regards,

So hold there a minute sparky.

YOU made a booking for room which was double or twin, depending on availability. YOU failed to confirm prior to making the booking but NOW blaming the hotel for scamming you?

Apologies I though you were being the sparky one. I had a choice for each room when I booked it. If a certain amount of Twin rooms , then they should fill that allocation and then tell people, by way of saying so on the site, that they don't have any left , its not difficult and standard procedure I would say. Not trying to con people into having to buy an extra bed. Same with charging for Family room and it s not family room its 2 standard rooms with an adjoining door which would be lot cheaper if you booked them as that.Its going to get worse as the economy collapses. Its not so bad for me I we have a house in Thailand and only coming for 1 night, what about people who come in from Europe for a couple of weeks, they going to share a bed or pay the extra bed fee for fortnight ?, nice little 16k. Its a scam on tourists and I find it disgusting. You do it , see how much you think its your fault then. They are thieving dishonest ponces

I had to look the hotel up myself because I was curious. You screwed up..not the hotel! Taken directly of their website for a "Family Room:

"Please note that this room type includes two interconnecting Premier Rooms."

Also take note there is an additional "subject to availability". That statement is listed in many places.

I agree with Konying. Sorry can't sympothize with your case. You're lucky you got your money back. Tells me the hotel cares about it's customers.

I had to look the hotel up myself because I was curious. You screwed up..not the hotel! Taken directly of their website for a "Family Room:

"Please note that this room type includes two interconnecting Premier Rooms."

Also take note there is an additional "subject to availability". That statement is listed in many places.

I agree with Konying. Sorry can't sympothize with your case. You're lucky you got your money back. Tells me the hotel cares about it's customers.

" subject to availability does not mean they can advertise for something they do not have , that's completely unavailable"

End of