Who is responsible for the debt before marriage

bkkryn

Howdy.

I have known this Thai lady we have met at the work place for around 3 yrs now.

I kept on flipping jobs, it's tiring to apply for visa overseas and worst case me visa may not be approved.

We were discussing this matter one day and she proposed to register our marriage at local amphur without having

big messy wedding ceremony. She was once married just fyi...

As far as I know, she has quite a huge debt and no savings... And townhouse she bought, has some problems,

including land sinkage, water leaking from the roof etc...

Anyhow, after registering our marriage at local amphur, I have no obligation to clear her debt before marriage?

Once divorced, what am I obliged to pay?

50% of my assets? What are assets basically...?

Suppose if I have an overseas bank ac or assets overseas not disclosed to her, it wouldn't be counted right?

Well....Stand outside the box. Why buy the cow if already have the source....Which doesnt sound like its free by the way.

You may not be liable for her debts however the track record on her part aint so great.

It also sounds like the debt will increase over time.

Also I dont understand the tie in with your employment status and oversea jobs. Unless you are getting hitched so you can get a marriage visa....again not a good idea whatsoever.......

Should not have posed the question Once we get divorced rather If....Freudian slip maybe?

Certainly if your Australian and most possibly English or American, longer the Marriage goes the greater her rights to your overseas assets both from before and after marriage.

Of course she needs to be the type to want to go after it and has the means, so if your worth a bit any solicitor in AU will consider it done, you both will end up close to broke once they get through with you.

As for her local depts again the longer your married to her depending where that borrowed money comes from good chance your going to be expected to cough it up regardless that the dept was way before your time.

In Thailand any savings, property or anything material brought or inherited during the marriage becomes "the assets".

Enjoy your honeymoon.

Fly solo the only way to go in the modern world, the advantage of living in Thailand with a woman to date is she has no rights unlike in AU, once you slip that ring on a woman finger it becomes a loose hangman's necktie, i believe in love etc etc but I've also learned even with good intensions relationships for many don't last, seems rather silly to marry just to simplify your visa, of course you would have to be into the woman to consider I'm sure...