what happened to the woman who killed the 3 bikers

mascarabertha

You edited out the part of my post you didn't want to reply to, this part:

"She had alcohol in her system, was tired, and either wasn't watching where she was going or wasn't driving under control. Because of these things she killed three people. I don't think it's a good idea to let people off easy when their irresponsibility causes deaths."

Because I didn't disagree with it or had anything new to add to it. I quoted the relevant part that I was responding to. (I wish more people did that actually.)

Attitudes on road safety will change when people get tired of the carnage, and when laws are enforced effectively and applied to the rich as well as the poor. The outrage over these killings show that the people in Thailand are ready for this change.

Yes. Not sure about the outrage though. I don't know if you follow sites like CM108 but there's a daily dose of outrage at everything; it's the Internet: when someone wears the wrong bathing suit at the lake or does yoga on a lawn at Wat Suan Dok then there's outrage. Motorcyle riders especially get slaughtered wholesale everyday and I see very little outrage. Maybe bicycles are a bit more of a new thing so it gets attention.

The pathetic response from the government shows that the people in charge want to keep the rich and privileged above the law.

Well it's the courts mostly that are doing the responding. There was a trial and process was followed. The main difference in sentencing from what I see in the West (Europe) is that she would also have lost her drivers license for X years, but the courts here probably know that this isn't actually a real sanction here.

Also (recreational) bicycle riders tend to be the rich and privileged here, as opposed to people on a motorbike. If anything then this may be the thing that brings about some change, when the rich and privileged swap their BMW for a fancy bicycle and get slaughtered just the same way as Joe Schmoe on his moped.

The government of course fails mostly in safe road infrastructure. There aren't even sidewalks on many roads, let alone bike lanes or effective enforcement of anything..

EDIT: Nearly slammed into a cyclist on one of the ring road highways around lunch time today. Weirdos. It used to be that cyclists were aunties in the village going to the market and back. Now there is a mass outbreak of lunacy, when people think that fancy stretch pants, a cool helmet & shades make it a good idea to go cycling on highways.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You edited out the part of my post you didn't want to reply to, this part:

"She had alcohol in her system, was tired, and either wasn't watching where she was going or wasn't driving under control. Because of these things she killed three people. I don't think it's a good idea to let people off easy when their irresponsibility causes deaths."

Because I didn't disagree with it or had anything new to add to it. I quoted the relevant part that I was responding to. (I wish more people did that actually.)

Attitudes on road safety will change when people get tired of the carnage, and when laws are enforced effectively and applied to the rich as well as the poor. The outrage over these killings show that the people in Thailand are ready for this change.

Yes. Not sure about the outrage though. I don't know if you follow sites like CM108 but there's a daily dose of outrage at everything; it's the Internet: when someone wears the wrong bathing suit at the lake or does yoga on a lawn at Wat Suan Dok then there's outrage. Motorcyle riders especially get slaughtered wholesale everyday and I see very little outrage. Maybe bicycles are a bit more of a new thing so it gets attention.

The pathetic response from the government shows that the people in charge want to keep the rich and privileged above the law.

Well it's the courts mostly that are doing the responding. There was a trial and process was followed. The main difference in sentencing from what I see in the West (Europe) is that she would also have lost her drivers license for X years, but the courts here probably know that this isn't actually a real sanction here.

Also (recreational) bicycle riders tend to be the rich and privileged here, as opposed to people on a motorbike. If anything then this may be the thing that brings about some change, when the rich and privileged swap their BMW for a fancy bicycle and get slaughtered just the same way as Joe Schmoe on his moped.

The government of course fails mostly in safe road infrastructure. There aren't even sidewalks on many roads, let alone bike lanes or effective enforcement of anything..

EDIT: Nearly slammed into a cyclist on one of the ring road highways around lunch time today. Weirdos. It used to be that cyclists were aunties in the village going to the market and back. Now there is a mass outbreak of lunacy, when people think that fancy stretch pants, a cool helmet & shades make it a good idea to go cycling on highways.

Do you have evidence the cyclists killed were rich? I think if they had been rich the actions taken against the woman responsible would have been more severe.

I will qualify my claim of a pathetic response from the government--if you recall it was after these cyclists were killed that the latest and most enduring crackdown on bar closing times was implemented. The guilty party gets a slap on the wrist and many businesses and customers are persecuted to give the appearance of action. That's not my idea of justice.

I'd have to go look through news articles, but from memory I got the impression that these were somewhat older guys from established, local families. People having worked in government, etc. I don't know if they were actually wealthy by any definition, but definitely well established local Chiang Mai old-middle class. Not any bunch of villagers who would be shy to pursue things in courts or otherwise, or roll over at the first mention of a couple thousand baht.

I'd have to go look through news articles, but from memory I got the impression that these were somewhat older guys from established, local families. People having worked in government, etc. I don't know if they were actually wealthy by any definition, but definitely well established local Chiang Mai old-middle class. Not any bunch of villagers who would be shy to pursue things in courts or otherwise, or roll over at the first mention of a couple thousand baht.

i don't believe that there is a final resolution in the matter as stated above. yes these where middle-aged men from well-established families and they declined a cash settlement from the girl's family. they demanded a trial and there was something on television only about 10 days or so about an upcoming court date. the families did receive payments from insurance companies but declined any cash from the girl's family.

• 4 months later...

>>so all those posts before that said she had been to court and been sentencedwhistling.gif<<

Well it seems from todays report she has been .Will she ever see gaol though ? i doubt it .(out on appeal ).

Now covered in the Bangkok Post detailing sentence of two years (reduced to this because of admission), bail to appeal, court directed payouts, insurance payouts, and payments made by offender.

A year to get this far, and appeal to take.......

How long before the Red Bull heir option is taken or perhaps the pitter patter of little feet option.?

Edited by mamborobert

i don't believe that there is a final resolution in the matter as stated above. yes these where middle-aged men from well-established families and they declined a cash settlement from the girl's family. they demanded a trial and there was something on television only about 10 days or so about an upcoming court date. the families did receive payments from insurance companies but declined any cash from the girl's family.

actually, today's reports state that Ms HiSo gave them 100K each. Maybe they weren't the Getty Family, after all.

actually, today's reports state that Ms HiSo gave them 100K each. Maybe they weren't the Getty Family, after all.

She gave 100k each already for the funeral costs only (above what the insurance paid out). That was not sought by families but the offender looks good later in court by making that small additional contribution. Its not like the families suddenly got ex gratia money....it went for the funeral. They are not richer by 100k.

Monetary compensation wise till today she was only 300k in the hole for questionable motives.

A lot more has been paid by insurance, and now ordered by the courts to two of the three families,

As Winnie pointed out the families were affluent enough to refuse monies offered initially to make this go away, and influential enough to see by Thai standards or even Western, a fairly quick court case to a favourable decision, albeit subject to appeal.

Edited by mamborobert

She gave 100k each already for the funeral costs only (above what the insurance paid out). That was not sought by families but the offender looks good later in court by making that small additional contribution. Its not like the families suddenly got ex gratia money....it went for the funeral. They are not richer by 100k.

Monetary compensation wise till today she was only 300k in the hole for questionable motives.

A lot more has been paid by insurance, and now ordered by the courts to two of the three families,

As Winnie pointed out the families were affluent enough to refuse monies offered initially to make this go away, and influential enough to see by Thai standards or even Western, a fairly quick court case to a favourable decision, albeit subject to appeal.

"As Winnie pointed out the families were affluent enough to refuse monies offered initially to make this go away..."

I'm curious, why is that significant?

It is a matter of principles not wealth.

How wealthy exactly one must be to refuse any specific amount of money for the lose of one's love ones?

I do not know either way if the 10 million baht offer is in fact a fact especially considering there's been so much misinformation posted about this tragedy.

Nor do I know about how influential the families might be.

I do know that one of the victims ran a small shoe shop in our village market and lived in a lovely modest home in my neighborhood.

(for the sake of accuracy I'd like to mention that I know this as I knew him, and went to his home for the funeral and met at his shop to cycle with him and other members of our club).

These were good people, and though I am not going to add my personal thoughts on what decisions they might or might not be making or why in this situation, I will say that the kind of home and business they chose isn't concrete proof of their financial situation (as opposed to the other way around that if they lived in a huge mansion they most probably were quite affluent) and all the speculation in the world won't tell us what they are thinking and how horrible they are feeling.

This case is being actively followed on the internet by our cycling team, whom all three of the deceased where members (it happened on a club ride) including updates on our Facebook page etc. but without all the rumors, personal opinions and people speaking without any actual knowledge of the real facts as many are doing here on TV.

Two years - if she ever serves it!

It was a very unfortunate accent .As far as i know she was not drunk or on drugs ?but just fell asleep at the wheel .She could have been killed herself .Whats Gaol going to achieve in this case ?.Some form of money compensation would be of more use to the victims I.M.O.

also as stated in #94. why don't some people on here watch the news? i don't get it.

It was a very unfortunate accent .As far as i know she was not drunk or on drugs ?but just fell asleep at the wheel .She could have been killed herself .Whats Gaol going to achieve in this case ?.Some form of money compensation would be of more use to the victims I.M.O.

According to the news she was drunk. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/921661-drunk-student-who-killed-three-cyclists-given-a-2-year-sentence/?p=10808279&hl=%2Bdriver+%2Bbikers

don't you ever get it right--she was drunk

There is a thread also running on this topic on TV Chiang Mai News and Events forum

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/921661-drunk-student-who-killed-three-cyclists-given-a-2-year-sentence/

Many of the 113 posts so far have a erroneous facts and some rather pathetic comments but for those who are as interested as myself in hopefully gleaning some more information on this tragedy they might want to have a look albeit with a thick skin.

There is a thread also running on this topic on TV Chiang Mai News and Events forum

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/921661-drunk-student-who-killed-three-cyclists-given-a-2-year-sentence/

Many of the 113 posts so far have a erroneous facts and some rather pathetic comments but for those who are as interested as myself in hopefully gleaning some more information on this tragedy they might want to have a look albeit with a thick skin.

THANKS FOR THAT LINK .It states that she was drunk so ignore my previous comment .Gaol is appropriate as a punishment and deterrent to other people who may be tempted to drive drunk (which is different to driving with a small amount of drink ).